CCM for EM rumors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The rumor of the day:
ABIM is co-sponsoring an application to the American Board of Medical Specialties in support of EM-trained docs to be CCM-boarded via the internal medicine pathway. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
This should be in place within about 2 years!!!!
...rumor from Boston...can't confirm...I am just passing along info...did not hear it first-hand...

Members don't see this ad.

The rumor of the day:
ABIM is co-sponsoring an application to the American Board of Medical Specialties in support of EM-trained docs to be CCM-boarded via the internal medicine pathway. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
...rumor from Boston...can't confirm...I am just passing along info...did not hear it first-hand...

Not to fuel the rumor-fire, but I also heard this last week from our Critical Care Chairman - who is in the process of starting a CCM fellowship at ORMC. He seemed to think it was very likely to happen.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This would presumably be the death of EM/IM/CC programs? (as well as decrease EM/IM applicants/programs)

One of my attendings told me has been hearing this rumor since he did his CCM fellowship in the 80s.

The rumor of the day:

Been in the works for years. We made some big headway this past year. The political waters are slightly more favorable this time around. It is now up to American Board of Medical Specialties. Details to follow....

KG

I would love for the "climate" to change, but won't hold my breath--been hearing rumors for 5 years, give or take.

I just finished taking the European boards, so from a selfish point of view, I hope it doesn't happen within 1-2 years--unless "they" grandfather me in for passing the European boards...

...but now, as i understand, for the first time, ABIM is supporing us...
HH

ABIM has not been the problem in the past. They have supported us up to the level of ABMS. The thing that is new this year is that ABIM is working with us for training and certification through ABIM.

Before, they supported us if we could swing something with Anesth or Surg, or if we even created another certificate of added competence through ABEM. Of course, those were rejected in various levels of committee meetings between the specialties.

I think one of the barriers (understandably, in my opinion) to certification through IM is that not a single month of general internal medicine is required during EM residency, thus some EM residents finish without ever completing a month of general internal medicine. A cardiology month(s) are common in EM training programs. In the 5 years I spent at my facility (IM+CC) I never observed an EM resident (excluding EM/IM) on any of the following services: nephrology, pulmonary, endocrine, heme/onc, psych, rheumatology, or ID.

The MICU that I attend in is frequently filled with the above patients.

In reviewing the core requirements for successful completion of an EM residency I can certainly understand why the initial suggestions were to consider a pathway through surgery or anesthesia. At a minimum one month of general surgery is required at my facility's EM program.

Maybe there should be a pathway from EM to peds critical care as they also do a month of general peds here.:rolleyes:

The thing that is new this year is that ABIM is working with us for training and certification through ABIM.

yeah - that's what I was trying to say above...just did so poorly with the "via internal medicine" phrase

I actually would have liked to have seen critical care through ABEM. Maybe once there are more EM-based CCM docs out there this will happen.

HH

y

I actually would have liked to have seen critical care through ABEM. Maybe once there are more EM-based CCM docs out there this will happen.

HH

Will most likely never happen. ABEM has never supported this, and now that it looks like the ABMS route, through an existing pathway, may open up, ABEM will close the books on this.

I think one of the barriers (understandably, in my opinion) to certification through IM is that not a single month of general internal medicine is required during EM residency, thus some EM residents finish without ever completing a month of general internal medicine. A cardiology month(s) are common in EM training programs. In the 5 years I spent at my facility (IM+CC) I never observed an EM resident (excluding EM/IM) on any of the following services: nephrology, pulmonary, endocrine, heme/onc, psych, rheumatology, or ID.

The MICU that I attend in is frequently filled with the above patients.

In reviewing the core requirements for successful completion of an EM residency I can certainly understand why the initial suggestions were to consider a pathway through surgery or anesthesia. At a minimum one month of general surgery is required at my facility's EM program.

Maybe there should be a pathway from EM to peds critical care as they also do a month of general peds here.:rolleyes:

Classic argument, doesn't hold much weight anymore. IM curriculum has been watered down so much in the past that it is not required for residents to do any procedures at all in order to graduate (not that intensivists are only procedure monkeys).

Critical care was close to becoming its own 5 yr pathway right out of Med School, but because of tradition, was killed in committee. EM grads are just as prepared for CC training as IM/Surg/Anes/Peds. I've worked with all, and all have strengths and weaknesses.

All of the IP services you listed (I've done them all and more) have very little to do with critical care. They rarely get involved in the unit, and when they do, it is for a very select number of disease processes. The CC fellow should get adequate exposure to the outpatient services as they apply to CC during their 2 yr fellowship.

Phlegm, don't know you, not intending to flame, but this argument doesn't really apply anymore. The leadership at ABIM seem to finally understand that CC has evolved and CC fellowship is more important rather than what your base was. ABIM is proposing to open up their fellowships, train the EM grad, then let them sit for ABIM CC boards. I see no problem.

As far as Peds....never happen without a pediatric residency. ABP still has issues with EM grads competing with Ped grads that complete 3 yr fellowship in EM. Crit Care will likely never be in the picture (just my observation).

If you are interested in reading about the politics here are a couple of articles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey KG, thought it wouldn't be long before you replied, and no flame taken by or offered by me, just a difference of opinion. The "old argument" stands as far as the majority of intensivists that I know are concerned, and I'm not the "old guard".

Regarding the IM curriculum: The curriculum was not "watered down" by removing the procedural requirements. It was, in fact, strengthened. For years it has been clear that there are those IM residents who gravitate toward procedural specialties and those that gravitate to non-procedural specialties. Example pulmonary/critical care and cardiology vs endocrinology and geriatrics. Requiring an IM resident who knows that they want to do endocrinology fellowship to float 3 Swan Ganz catheters, place 5 central lines, etc. was appropriately removed from the requirements for Internal Medicine. There was a huge upside for those, as myself, interested in procedures; Less competition for procedures. I disagree that the IM curriculum has been "watered down", but rather, more focused to allow more opportunity for education and experience based on career path chosen.

Regarding Strengths and Weaknesses: I am IM trained. My weaknesses are trauma/SX/Burn and OB because I had very little exposure to them during my residency. I leave out pediatrics as I have no training outside of medical school in pediatrics. That doesn't mean that I am incapable of learning as I go. I had a fair amount of exposure to post-surgery/SICU/neuroSx with a bit of trauma during fellowship. There was the odd OB patient in the ICU during my fellowship. I have learned much in the couple of years since completing fellowship, but am nowhere near as competent in the SICU or burn unit as a critical care trained surgeon. Thus, I work in an MICU where my strengths are best utilized.
These are the weaknesses that I see in the EM residents who would be applying to critical fellowship with potential certification through the American Board of Internal Medicine: Nephrology, Rheumatology, Infectious Disease, Endocrine, Heme-Onc, Gastroenterology, Pulmonary, and Psych.

The point of my response was not that EM trained folks should be denied access to practicing in the ICU. In fact, I am very well aware of their skills in airway, resuscitation, etc. and have no doubt that they can't perform at a very high level. I ultimately support the movement as we need more CCM practitioners. My point is, that in my opinion, it would be more appropriate to get the certification through surgery, anesthesia, or pediatrics where they have more training and are at least required to complete a basic, intern level, training experience ie. general internal medicine for 1 month.

Hey KG, thought it wouldn't be long before you replied, and no flame taken by or offered by me, just a difference of opinion. The "old argument" stands as far as the majority of intensivists that I know are concerned, and I'm not the "old guard".

Regarding the IM curriculum: The curriculum was not "watered down" by removing the procedural requirements. It was, in fact, strengthened. For years it has been clear that there are those IM residents who gravitate toward procedural specialties and those that gravitate to non-procedural specialties. Example pulmonary/critical care and cardiology vs endocrinology and geriatrics. Requiring an IM resident who knows that they want to do endocrinology fellowship to float 3 Swan Ganz catheters, place 5 central lines, etc. was appropriately removed from the requirements for Internal Medicine. There was a huge upside for those, as myself, interested in procedures; Less competition for procedures. I disagree that the IM curriculum has been "watered down", but rather, more focused to allow more opportunity for education and experience based on career path chosen.

Regarding Strengths and Weaknesses: I am IM trained. My weaknesses are trauma/SX/Burn and OB because I had very little exposure to them during my residency. I leave out pediatrics as I have no training outside of medical school in pediatrics. That doesn't mean that I am incapable of learning as I go. I had a fair amount of exposure to post-surgery/SICU/neuroSx with a bit of trauma during fellowship. There was the odd OB patient in the ICU during my fellowship. I have learned much in the couple of years since completing fellowship, but am nowhere near as competent in the SICU or burn unit as a critical care trained surgeon. Thus, I work in an MICU where my strengths are best utilized.
These are the weaknesses that I see in the EM residents who would be applying to critical fellowship with potential certification through the American Board of Internal Medicine: Nephrology, Rheumatology, Infectious Disease, Endocrine, Heme-Onc, Gastroenterology, Pulmonary, and Psych.

The point of my response was not that EM trained folks should be denied access to practicing in the ICU. In fact, I am very well aware of their skills in airway, resuscitation, etc. and have no doubt that they can't perform at a very high level. I ultimately support the movement as we need more CCM practitioners. My point is, that in my opinion, it would be more appropriate to get the certification through surgery, anesthesia, or pediatrics where they have more training and are at least required to complete a basic, intern level, training experience ie. general internal medicine for 1 month.

Phlegm, you made some very good points. I really can't disagree too much with any of them. I'm not exactly sure if I completely agree with your view on the strength of IM after the curriculum changes, but I trained a few years ago and admit my slight bias. I could be wrong - your argument makes sense on paper.

If I remember correctly, you took a position in the community, right? Not sure how your units are set up, but many are combined med-surg. Very few places to hide in these units as you need to have a broad based training. I will admit my true bias is towards a multi-disciplinary critical care fellowship.

In my opinion, the strength of the fellowship will make or break the fellow it turns out after 2 yrs. If the fellowship is single disciplined, whatever it is, and the fellows are "coddled", then when they get out, it is much tougher when you're on your own in a med-surg unit.

As far as ABIM stepping up, it's politics - completely. Don't know what motivated them now - fiscal ("if they are going to spend thousands on board exams, may as well be ours" ) or altruistic (they're getting the training already, we may as well train them the "right way"). Either way, ABS flat out said no way (they have their own problems with developing Acute Care Surgery) and Anesth is just too wishy washy - their programs are dwindling. ABEM never wanted to touch it, and Peds is too different and will NEVER allow something like this to happen on a large scale.

I personally think it is good for everyone. It will bring some different experiences to typically homogeneous fellowship programs. IM based programs usually are very strong didactically and have great bed-side teachers. Surgical programs have this to a lesser extent and like some of the "trial-by-fire" approach. I think EM grads have had enough trial-by-fire and will thrive in a more structured program.

Just my depreciated $0.02.

KG

KG (or anyone, really):
How do you think the IM boards will apply to EM grads who complete a multi-disciplinary CCM fellowship like the one at Pitt? Would and EM grad take the IM CCM boards from such a program also?
HH

KG, thanks for the reply, the 0.02 are appreciated.

Yes I took a full-time position in a community hospital ICU. It is technically med-surg but my case mix is approximately 80% typical MICU stuff and 15% trauma/surg/neurosurgery with the odd OB patient as there is no high-risk OB. We are level II trauma so the trauma surgeons are actively involved in management of the trauma patients in the ICU as well. I continue to do research and work intermittently at the "mothership".

I understand and appreciate your bias toward a multidisciplinary critical care fellowship. Fortunately, I wasn't completely coddled during fellowship but could have had a more intense neurosurgery and SICU experience.

The division between medicine and surgery lives on unfortunately. Surgeons rarely (if ever) rotate on general internal medicine during residency and IM residents rarely rotate on general surgery. This continues into fellowship unfortunately. Few IM critical care programs offer a significant amount of exposure to the SICU/neuroSX unit and few surgery critical care fellows spend more than 1 or 2 months in the MICU during their training. I used to think the main reason the surgeons rotated through the MICU was to learn a ventilatory mode other than SIMV :D

Maybe I'm an idealist who thinks the change should come from Emergency Medicine in requiring rudimentary education in internal medicine taught by an internist prior to getting and ABIM subspecialty certificate. I have no idea why the ABIM supports it. Your explanations seem reasonable, however.

Regards, Phlegm

KG (or anyone, really):
How do you think the IM boards will apply to EM grads who complete a multi-disciplinary CCM fellowship like the one at Pitt? Would and EM grad take the IM CCM boards from such a program also?
HH

Hamhock,
The key is ACGME approval. UPMC is approved through ACGME for Anesth, Surg, and IM (also peds). Anybody that trained for 2 yrs (also key) should be fine.

You'll have to look closely at the other multidisciplinary CC programs to see if they are ACGME approved.

KG

I think your first paragraph sets up a false equivalence. Most IM residents have little exposure to the specialties (OB/trauma/SICU) you mentioned. However, most EM residents will have extensive experience in the critical management of the above fields of Internal Medicine (excepting perhaps Rheum). If you feel like there should be a month of floor IM as a political dues paying, I can understand that. But I don't believe that would have any noticeable effect on an EM-trained resident's ability to succeed in a IM CC fellowship.

I must admit to being a bit surprised by the apparent lack of an IM requirement. My program required a month of general IM for us, in addition to the cardiology, MICU and CVICU months.

Everyone I've spoken with requires a medicine month. Are there many programs out there that don't require one?

Take care,
Jeff

I must admit to being a bit surprised by the apparent lack of an IM requirement. My program required a month of general IM for us, in addition to the cardiology, MICU and CVICU months.

Everyone I've spoken with requires a medicine month. Are there many programs out there that don't require one?

Take care,
Jeff

A bunch of programs I interviewed at had no medicine floor month. They all had MICU, though.

Having just gone through the RRC requirements (http://www.acgme.org), other than delineation of % of patients that are pediatric (16%) and amount of critical care off-service rotations (at least 2), the RRC doesn't seem to have specific requirements regarding what off-service rotations EM residents do. It would seem difficult to get some of the procedure numbers without rotating through specific services (ie vaginal births), however.

Take care,
Jeff

This could be a good place for a discussion if and how an EM resident benefits from medicine ward month. I'd really appreciate some input from residents and attendings. Having recently completed my sub-I on the medicine floor, I don't see how this teaches the resident (in terms of prep to be an EP) more than what s/he would see in the ED/ICU's.

This could be a good place for a discussion if and how an EM resident benefits from medicine ward month. I'd really appreciate some input from residents and attendings. Having recently completed my sub-I on the medicine floor, I don't see how this teaches the resident (in terms of prep to be an EP) more than what s/he would see in the ED/ICU's.

I'm in IM, not EM so take this with a grain of salt. As far as actual ED management of patients, I don't think rotating on the wards ads all that much. What it does give you is a bit of empathy toward what your IM colleagues upstairs have to deal with once you get done moving the meat and decide to admit a patient. Is it worth a month or two of your time? I don't know. But it's probably not completely useless and in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. It's not like you'll learn nothing and it's only 4 weeks out of 3-4 years.

FWIW, the EM residents at our hospital do 1 ward month and 2 MICU months as interns. IM residents generally do 4-5 EM months over the course of 3 years.

Caveat: I'm a 'tern so I may be wrong....

Right now I'm on a General Internal medicine block and I have to say that it's been immensely useful. I'm not only learning more and solidifying what I already know, but I'm learning the subtleties of various disease presentations that go beyond a "Oh, you have X." And I have this feeling that I can't possibly learn too much medicine. It just seems to me to be ridiculously important to have as much medicine exposure as possible.

*shrug*

As I believe roja once said, most of EM isn't so much the surgery/trauma type stuff but bread and butter medicine, albeit in a more acute setting. One of my attendings said the other day that his one big wish was that he'd learned more medicine during residency. That's the approach that I have right now. Take it fwiw.

Evo and others,
I'm interested in what you guys think about IM months during residency bc lots northeast programs do not have them. Do lots of you guys agree with evo that these months are "immensely" useful and a must have in the residency curriculum? May be a little off topic but you'd be helpful to us ms4s. Thanks

Caveat: I'm a 'tern so I may be wrong....

Right now I'm on a General Internal medicine block and I have to say that it's been immensely useful. I'm not only learning more and solidifying what I already know, but I'm learning the subtleties of various disease presentations that go beyond a "Oh, you have X." And I have this feeling that I can't possibly learn too much medicine. It just seems to me to be ridiculously important to have as much medicine exposure as possible.

*shrug*

As I believe roja once said, most of EM isn't so much the surgery/trauma type stuff but bread and butter medicine, albeit in a more acute setting. One of my attendings said the other day that his one big wish was that he'd learned more medicine during residency. That's the approach that I have right now. Take it fwiw.

Thanks for the reply, Evo. I never harbored the TV ER illusions about EM; the reason I like EM is precisely because of the medical diagnostic/acute rx aspect that, as is pointed out here countless times, comprises 90% of EM.

By "learning the subtleties", do you mean as an academic practice, i.e. knowledge, or by seeing the long-term (hospital stay anyway) course of a particular diagnosis? How do you feel that improves your diagnostic skills as an EP? Examples would be helpful. I think the knowledge aspect about pathophys, etc of disease is lacking in EM because, well because you don't have rounds for one, and I'm guessing signs/symptoms is more stressed in EM given it's role in the system... Doing medicine months helps, or one could strengthen their knowledge-base independently. (One EM attending who really impressed me with his almost medicine-like thoroughness to patients in the ED told me he reads Harrison's...)

Last edited:
EM grads are just as prepared for CC training as IM/Surg/Anes/Peds.
Untrue. Anesthesia and Surgery spend much more time doing procedures and taking care of critically ill patients. To say that EM grads are equivalent in CC is silly and untrue. Surgeons in training spend more time taking care of critically ill patients than the entire length of EM residency. There is a reason why CC fellowship is 1 year in Anesthesiology and Surgery vs 3 years in IM.

Untrue. Anesthesia and Surgery spend much more time doing procedures and taking care of critically ill patients. To say that EM grads are equivalent in CC is silly and untrue. Surgeons in training spend more time taking care of critically ill patients than the entire length of EM residency. There is a reason why CC fellowship is 1 year in Anesthesiology and Surgery vs 3 years in IM.
Sorry filter, I respect KGunner's response more than yours. He is fellowship trained and is an attending in a place that has a fellowship training program. Therefore, I think he is very familiar with the critical care training of all specialties as he sees residents and fellows from all specialties.

There is a reason why CC fellowship is 1 year in Anesthesiology and Surgery vs 3 years in IM.

The MICU and the SICU are not equivalent. The "critically ill" that surgeons treat are ones that are going to, or coming from, the OR. If a patient is not healthy enough for surgery, that patient is going to the MICU. Honestly, I do not know of one MICU - anywhere, and I've seen my fair share of ICUs - where Anesthesia-CC docs are managing patients.

Another thing is that IM residency is 3 years, whereas anesthesia is 4 years, and it is 5 years for surgical residency.

You also show your lack of knowledge of the issue, and your bias, by stating "3 years in IM". That 3 years is Pulmonary/Critical Care. For straight critical care, it is 2 years only.

Filter,
If you'd like some objective data rather than chest thumping, read the references in my previous post (number 13).

There are more articles out there describing basic curriculum between the various specialties and their similarities in regards to CC fellowship preparation, I just don't have the time for spoon feeding right now.

I hear this argument re: surgery often. However, if you look at the curriculum objectively, it just isn't so.

KG

To imply that SICUs have healthier patients than MICUs is inaccurate. Who takes care of the end stage liver transplant recipient, or the necrotizing pancreatitic post debridement or the subarachnoid hemorrhage having an MI or the post-MI cardiogenic shock patient who is placed on ECMO or has an LVAD now? Plus, you underestimate the significance of surgically applied trauma. We all have our share of sick patients whether it's in a cardiac SICU, MICU, SICU, neuro ICU, cardiac ICU etc. And we each bring a different perspective and expertise. There are anesthesia intensivists in MICUs, but the general preference are the surgical ones. It's just more comfortable.

To imply that SICUs have healthier patients than MICUs is inaccurate. Who takes care of the end stage liver transplant recipient, or the necrotizing pancreatitic post debridement or the subarachnoid hemorrhage having an MI or the post-MI cardiogenic shock patient who is placed on ECMO or has an LVAD now? Plus, you underestimate the significance of surgically applied trauma. We all have our share of sick patients whether it's in a cardiac SICU, MICU, SICU, neuro ICU, cardiac ICU etc. And we each bring a different perspective and expertise. There are anesthesia intensivists in MICUs, but the general preference are the surgical ones. It's just more comfortable.

I did not imply it - I said it outright. Take away those patients that are going to or coming from the OR (that includes the liver transplant patient you mentioned), and the SICU is nearly empty (and who is left is observational trauma); where are the patients then? If you say that surgeons like patients who are definitely not going to the OR, I would like to see that surgeon.

Are you implying that CC in IM is longer than Anes/Surgery because MICU patients are sicker?

I don't think there's any doubt that MICU patients are sicker than SICU. But more MICU patients die. I don't really think there's much to learn from sticking catheters and monitoring devices on people who are going to die anyway. In other words, unless your interventions make a difference in outcomes, it doesn't matter if your patient is sicker than mine. I could stick all sorts of monitoring devices on a nutritionally deficient patient with metastatic cancer... in surgery we call that a warm autopsy.

The real reason why CC from IM is longer than Anes/Surgery is because IM is 3 years, and some of that time is spent in outpatient clinics. During inpatient care, there are discrete floor and ICU teams. Compare that with Surgery which is 5 years and almost always has a mix of floor and ICU patients in each team. It doesn't make any sense to say that an IM graduate is at the same level of CC profiency as a Surgery graduate. It also doesn't make any sense to say that an EM graduate from a 3 year residency working 40-50 hours a week has the same level of proficiency as someone with 5 years of training at 80 hours a week.

CC fellowship after Surgery is really only 9 months of CC. This is standard. Is there any CC program that will take an EM graduate for 9 months of CC? As far as I know its 2 years minimum. I don't see why this is controversial. EM residents are just as bright as Surgery residents, they just aren't trained as extensively in CC during their course of residency training. That's not chest thumping, that's a fact.

If you're talking about those who have completed the recommended CC fellowship, one would think (and hope) that anyone would be well trained to run an ICU regardless of where they came from pre-fellowship.

Last edited:
It also doesn't make any sense to say that an EM graduate from a 3 year residency working 40-50 hours a week has the same level of proficiency as someone with 5 years of training at 80 hours a week.

They WILL however be better rested and happier.. and Lord knows we need some cheerfulness in the ICU :p

Are you implying that CC in IM is longer than Anes/Surgery because MICU patients are sicker?

I don't think there's any doubt that MICU patients are sicker than SICU. But more MICU patients die. I don't really think there's much to learn from sticking catheters and monitoring devices on people who are going to die anyway. In other words, unless your interventions make a difference in outcomes, it doesn't matter if your patient is sicker than mine. I could stick all sorts of monitoring devices on a nutritionally deficient patient with metastatic cancer... in surgery we call that a warm autopsy.

The real reason why CC from IM is longer than Anes/Surgery is because IM is 3 years, and some of that time is spent in outpatient clinics. During inpatient care, there are discrete floor and ICU teams. Compare that with Surgery which is 5 years and almost always has a mix of floor and ICU patients in each team. It doesn't make any sense to say that an IM graduate is at the same level of CC profiency as a Surgery graduate. It also doesn't make any sense to say that an EM graduate from a 3 year residency working 40-50 hours a week has the same level of proficiency as someone with 5 years of training at 80 hours a week.

CC fellowship after Surgery is really only 9 months of CC. This is standard. Is there any CC program that will take an EM graduate for 9 months of CC? As far as I know its 2 years minimum. I don't see why this is controversial. EM residents are just as bright as Surgery residents, they just aren't trained as extensively in CC during their course of residency training. That's not chest thumping, that's a fact.

If you're talking about those who have completed the recommended CC fellowship, one would think (and hope) that anyone would be well trained to run an ICU regardless of where they came from pre-fellowship.

1) While our hours in the department may be 60 hrs/wk before you include didactics and signout - all of which are included in other specialties work hours, the real total is more like 65 or 70 for interns once you include those activities. We are all excused and protected for didactics totalling 5 hours/wk during our EM months. My hours during unit months are definitely 80 hours/wk, however.

2) While your surgery program may have a mix of floor and SICU patients on any given team, this is not the way it's been at any surgery program I've been acquainted with. Sure, the vascular surgery team may consult on the patients they have in the unit - but it's a closed unit and they are not responsible for hour to hour management. The surgery residents at our program do 3 months of trauma, 1 month of SICU, then 3 months of trauma/SICU at a smaller hospital that is a level 2 trauma center and refers a lot of their sickest surgical patients back to the main hospital. They do an "away" burn rotation as well. If you include that, they have a total of 8 months of critical care. If you look closely at my program's curriculum we easily have a year of critical care experience that is more varied than the surgical critical care experience.

3) There are a number of surgical critical care fellowships that have taken EM grads. The program at my current hospital is one of them, and I've heard of multiple others. It's a one-year commitment if you pursue it from that direction. There are some options for doing two years of fellowship as well.

I did not imply it - I said it outright. Take away those patients that are going to or coming from the OR (that includes the liver transplant patient you mentioned), and the SICU is nearly empty (and who is left is observational trauma); where are the patients then? If you say that surgeons like patients who are definitely not going to the OR, I would like to see that surgeon.

I don't get your point. Take away the patients in the MICU who aren't medical and you have a completely empty unit. I understand you're saying that surgeons like to have medically optimized patients prior to elective surgery, it's rather pointless to exclude every non elective (ie emergent) operative patient. Average acuity may be higher in the MICU but the SICU population is more of a bimodal distribution. And I guarentee that those MICU patients who are operated on are significantly sicker than those who aren't.

Last edited:
I don't get your point.

The point is the difference between medical and surgical disease. Patients coming from the OR have a much more clearly delineated route - they will spend a finite amount of days in the SICU, then be transferred out (or, rarely, home!). MICU patients can linger much longer, and the path is much less clear.

Warning! Long post ahead! (sorry guys).

Filter07:

Thank you for your comments.

Full disclosure: I’m an EM trained intensivist working in a (mostly) surgical ICU group but with a couple of others with different base specialties.

The varied training background of the ICU staff as a collective entity is an advantage for several reasons, and not just because most units outside of the US (and indeed, many community hospitals in America) take all comers, i.e. med/surg/neurosurg/cardiac etc. in one unit. It is also an advantage because folks from different backgrounds enrich journal clubs, case reviews, faculty meetings, educational sessions.... even the collective revenue streams and economics of the group in some cases. Our base-specialty “biases” become collective sources of wisdom for the whole group! Without another base-specialty to weigh in, they’re just biases. Anyway, in my opinion it makes the rest of the docs in the group better, and better doctors make healthier patients.

Filter, you seem to think you have considerable insight into the relative value of, among other things, residency in emergency medicine, surgery, anesthesia, internal medicine, and the attendant clinics, OR time, EM shifts, and floor/ICU months that go along with them vis-a-vis their relative value to a future career as an intensivist. Forgetting for a moment that you really only have limited exposure to one of these things (you're a 3rd year resident now right?) let’s assume some of your observations are correct. One thing you have failed to grasp is that while we all come from some base specialty, what makes a great intensivist is the willingness to approach the job AS AN INTENSIVIST and not simply an anesthesiologist or trauma surgeon rounding on ventilated patients.

I have worked with talented (and not so talented) intensivists from all of the backgrounds relevant to our discussion here. Their relative skills were, without exception, a direct result of their commitment and effort at learning critical care rather than their 3, 4, 5 (or more!) years of residency. One intensivist with a trauma surgery background I worked with during fellowship wasn't a great mentor and colleague because he spent more time taking care of critically ill patients in his general surgery residency then I did in my emerg residency (though he might have (shrug)); rather, he was a great intensivist because he had a voracious appetite for expanding his critical care knowledge base, a drive to continually evaluate his own practice as well as that in the unit we worked in, a willingness to teach and be taught, and a drive to approach working in the ICU AS AN INTENSIVIST.

Anyway, I choose not to identify one base specialty as the "best" prep for critical care. I came from EM. In my opinion, my emerg training, while certainly being of great utility, contributed very little differential benefit compared to what I may have gleaned from another specialty in making me a (hopefully) capable intensivist. Of much greater importance was the fact that I started reading extensive critical care literature even as an intern, and sought out the “sick of the sick” during every shift, rotation, clinic, and floor month (who do you think got to the rapid responses in the month when I was a general medicine intern, me or the IM resident? LOL). Hell, maybe your point about doing 55 hours a week in EM vs. “80” in surgery (more like 110-120 even with the work hours where I trained) played into my makeup as an intensivist-wannabe affording more time to read around my cases! LOL.

Interestingly, as an exercise, I made a list of my "top 10" mentors among all those I trained under or worked with in the ICU. The list: 1 EM, 2 anesthesia, 2 trauma surgeons, 1 transplant surgeon, 1 cardiothoracic surgeon, 1 cardiologist, 1 pulmonolgist, and an ID specialist. Pretty cool, eh?!? What a group to pull inspiration from! Yup, 4 of 'em were surgeons and only one was EM. But it isn't a reflection of their backgrounds.... it reflects their commitment to critical care :)

Do what you love. If you want to do critical care, pick whatever base specialty you would otherwise see yourself working in when you're not in the unit. Rest assured, no base specialty will give you the definitive leg up or leg down insofar as being a great intensivist. It *might* have a bearing on your ability to get a job in a certain place (I'm not naive about this - it is harder in EM, though rapidly improving) but it isn't because of the lack of skills based on your choice of base specialty that will keep you out - it’s the long-standing prejudice against certain intensivists based on the perceived ads/disads of their base specialty. Which is why I feel an obligation to not flame the probably well-intentioned, talented, but slightly biased 3rd year surgery resident in this case, but to influence through persuasion not hubris.

Take care my surgical friend. May your call be painless this weekend --

CC fellowship after Surgery is really only 9 months of CC. This is standard. Is there any CC program that will take an EM graduate for 9 months of CC? As far as I know its 2 years minimum.

No, CC fellowship in surgery (and anesthesia) is 9 months of required ICU, and 3 months of elective. You can't just do "9 months" and get acknowledgement from your fellowship director that you completed fellowship training. Nor can you sit the boards if you plan on doing so with just "9 months".

The 3 months of elective time is meant to be in something complimentary to your ICU training - like research or rotation on a service that you have decided will be useful. Or, you can rotate in another ICU outside your institution (or maybe in the associated community hospital) so you might actually do 12 months of full ICU service.

And yes there are "traditional" programs that will take EM grads (the right candidate) for such a year... Stanford, UCSF, Duke, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis are all places (among several) that considered my application.

Honestly, I do not know of one MICU - anywhere, and I've seen my fair share of ICUs - where Anesthesia-CC docs are managing patients.
I can tell you from first-hand experience that this IS the case at one of the major well-known Surgery programs in the country: University of Florida (Gainesville). The Surgeons follow and write orders on their ICU patients, but it's an Anesthesia Critical Care Medicine team that rounds on every single ICU patient and does the fair share of daily ICU care. It's an interesting phenomenon. Since your AM rounds are earlier than theirs, you're the first to write orders on the patient in the AM. But the rest of the day, you're busy with clinic, floor, and OR patients, so the nurses go to whoever's there in the ICU for urgent issues - the Anesthesia guys. That includes emergencies and codes too. So they end up doing a lot more of the care than you do. Sometimes it's great, because you're like NICE, my work's done for me already. Other times it's frustrating, because they order things you do NOT want done, and you have to cancel/reverse their orders, because a Surgical Critical Care perspective is different than an Anesthesia one. But it evens out in the end.

Oh and if you think that the Anesthesia guys are just there for "help," it's MUCH more than that. The Anesthesia/Critical Care Fellow on call CONTROLS the ICU. Ie, no one can transfer or admit to the ICU unless they call the Anesthesia Fellow on call. So even a trauma that's def. gonna require admission to the ICU requires a phone call to the Fellow - because he manages admits and transfers...so he's gotta make sure we have the space, decides who will be transferred up to a step-down unit, or if we simply need to open up and staff another ICU Pod.

If I had to speculate why we don't have a Trauma/Surgical Critical Care Attending running the show, it's prob. because the Gen Surg program is spread too thin as it is, and can't handle any further responsibilities as it is. Trauma's struggling w/ the huge volume they se right now. Controlling the ICU will only make that hole deeper.

And yes there are "traditional" programs that will take EM grads (the right candidate) for such a year... Stanford, UCSF, Duke, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis are all places (among several) that considered my application.
Here's my BIGGEST concern, however.

1) Are you Board Certified in Critical Care Medicine when you graduate?
2) If so, is that Board Certification accepted by various hospitals/ICUs for you to be able to moonlight in an ICU? Cuz typically they want a board certified (IM/Pulm Care) Intensivist.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that this IS the case at one of the major well-known Surgery programs in the country: University of Florida (Gainesville). The Surgeons follow and write orders on their ICU patients, but it's an Anesthesia Critical Care Medicine team that rounds on every single ICU patient and does the fair share of daily ICU care.

I wrote MICU. You sound like you're talking a SICU or a general Med/Surg ICU (like at Geisinger), and SICUs are replete with Anesthesia/CC docs.

And your concern about board certification for an intensivist - as you are a resident - holds much less water than those making the hiring decisions.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that this IS the case at one of the major well-known Surgery programs in the country: University of Florida (Gainesville). The Surgeons follow and write orders on their ICU patients, but it's an Anesthesia Critical Care Medicine team that rounds on every single ICU patient and does the fair share of daily ICU care. It's an interesting phenomenon. Since your AM rounds are earlier than theirs, you're the first to write orders on the patient in the AM. But the rest of the day, you're busy with clinic, floor, and OR patients, so the nurses go to whoever's there in the ICU for urgent issues - the Anesthesia guys. That includes emergencies and codes too. So they end up doing a lot more of the care than you do. Sometimes it's great, because you're like NICE, my work's done for me already. Other times it's frustrating, because they order things you do NOT want done, and you have to cancel/reverse their orders, because a Surgical Critical Care perspective is different than an Anesthesia one. But it evens out in the end.

Oh and if you think that the Anesthesia guys are just there for "help," it's MUCH more than that. The Anesthesia/Critical Care Fellow on call CONTROLS the ICU. Ie, no one can transfer or admit to the ICU unless they call the Anesthesia Fellow on call. So even a trauma that's def. gonna require admission to the ICU requires a phone call to the Fellow - because he manages admits and transfers...so he's gotta make sure we have the space, decides who will be transferred up to a step-down unit, or if we simply need to open up and staff another ICU Pod.

If I had to speculate why we don't have a Trauma/Surgical Critical Care Attending running the show, it's prob. because the Gen Surg program is spread too thin as it is, and can't handle any further responsibilities as it is. Trauma's struggling w/ the huge volume they se right now. Controlling the ICU will only make that hole deeper.

Here's my BIGGEST concern, however.

1) Are you Board Certified in Critical Care Medicine when you graduate?
2) If so, is that Board Certification accepted by various hospitals/ICUs for you to be able to moonlight in an ICU? Cuz typically they want a board certified (IM/Pulm Care) Intensivist.

With respect to your observations about the SICU in Gainesville, this is a common model. This would be referred to as an 'open' ICU... as opposed to a 'closed' ICU where the final decision would be with the ICU team (in this case anesthesia led, it sounds like). Whether or not your unit is actually open or closed (and thus who has the final say -- the surgeons who had their hands in the belly or the ICU intensivist who is the expert on ICU care) is much less important than having good communication between the two. If communication is there, it is a moot point whether or not you're open/closed. If communication is not good, well, you can imagine the egos involved.

In terms of your questions directed at me:

1) No, EM grads are currently NOT board certified on completion. Whether or not they do one, two, or ten years of fellowship in critical care. At this point, as a fellowship trained intensivist with base specialization in emerg, there is no route to board certification.

(I might add that actually no one is 'board certified' in critical care - they merely have an "added qualification")

2) Given the issue with respect to board certification (or added qualification) as stated above, the point is that you are at the whim of institutional variation. Though only in MICUs do they tend to want pulmonogist/intensivists... pulmonologists rarely find themselves in SICUs, for instance, but I do know a few.

The point is, there is opportunity in all these units for all these types of base specialists and as time goes on, there is likely to be even more and more variety of different base specialties in different ICUs.

With respect to your observations about the SICU in Gainesville, this is a common model. This would be referred to as an 'open' ICU... as opposed to a 'closed' ICU where the final decision would be with the ICU team (in this case anesthesia led, it sounds like). Whether or not your unit is actually open or closed (and thus who has the final say -- the surgeons who had their hands in the belly or the ICU intensivist who is the expert on ICU care) is much less important than having good communication between the two. If communication is there, it is a moot point whether or not you're open/closed. If communication is not good, well, you can imagine the egos involved.

In terms of your questions directed at me:

1) No, EM grads are currently NOT board certified on completion. Whether or not they do one, two, or ten years of fellowship in critical care. At this point, as a fellowship trained intensivist with base specialization in emerg, there is no route to board certification.

(I might add that actually no one is 'board certified' in critical care - they merely have an "added qualification")

2) Given the issue with respect to board certification (or added qualification) as stated above, the point is that you are at the whim of institutional variation. Though only in MICUs do they tend to want pulmonogist/intensivists... pulmonologists rarely find themselves in SICUs, for instance, but I do know a few.

The point is, there is opportunity in all these units for all these types of base specialists and as time goes on, there is likely to be even more and more variety of different base specialties in different ICUs.

Couldn't agree more with the importance of communication, especially in surgical-based ICU's. It is key to the success of quality critical care delivery.

Just to be picky, EM/CCM grads of fellowship programs can get European critical care boards. Several do. Many hospitals have come to understand the politics and will accept this. Some don't.

A few years ago, ABIM made Critical Care a true "board", it no longer requires primary IM re-certification. It is the only US CC "board", the others are CAQ - certificate of added qualification.

KG

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 11:20 AM
To: [email protected]; Margaret Montgomery
Cc: SUE; MARLENE; LAURETTA; LAURA; SUSAND
Subject: Website Announcement

ABEM posted the following message on its website today and requests that you alert your members that the information is available at www.abem.org, home page, What’s New and Important.

· ABIM and ABEM Reach Agreement on ABEM Co-Sponsorship of IM CCM

We are pleased to announce that we have achieved an agreement with the American Board of Internal Medicine to become a co-sponsor in IM Critical Care Medicine. This means that our residents will have access to training in two-year critical care Internal Medicine sponsored fellowship programs upon completion of their Emergency Medicine residencies. Following successful completion of the fellowship, they will be able to become certified in Internal Medicine Critical Care Medicine.

At this time, the only route to Critical Care Medicine certification for Emergency Medicine physicians is through Internal Medicine based fellowships. Both the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Board of Surgery have indicated that they are not interested in pursuing a similar agreement. We continue to hope that in the future this may change and will continue to work with both boards as opportunities arise.

Thank you, and if you have any questions about accessing the website, please just let me know.

Colleen Robinson

Board Relations Specialist

American Board of Emergency Medicine

3000 Coolidge Road

East Lansing, MI 48823

517.332.4800 ext 303

[email protected]

www.abem.org

I'm not a resident yet, so could someone please explain what this is all about? If I understood it correctly, now EM residents will be able to pursue CCM fellowships? Is this correct?

My question is: is CCM highly sought after by EM residents? If so, what are the reasons for that? Thanks.

I'm not a resident yet, so could someone please explain what this is all about? If I understood it correctly, now EM residents will be able to pursue CCM fellowships? Is this correct?

My question is: is CCM highly sought after by EM residents? If so, what are the reasons for that? Thanks.
Sort of. ABIM and ABEM got together and formed an agreement saying that graduates of EM residencies who then trained at an ABIM-accredited CC fellowship (not CC/pulm) will be able to sit for IM-CC board certification exams. This agreement still has to go through ABMS approval, but I've been told it looks like it will happen.

EM/CC guys who have trained/will train in surgery or anesth related CC fellowships (like Shock trauma) won't be able to sit for the IM-CC boards, unfortunately. However, ABS and others may follow ABIM's example now. And EM/CC have sat for the EDIC cert before.

Pitt and shock, as well as other programs, have been training EM/CC people for awhile now. This agreement makes it much easier to train and be boarded in EM/CC, so residents who would have chosen not to go this route due to the training commitment (don't have to go through a EM/IM/CC program) might do so. IM-CC fellowships might open up their doors to more EM grads as a result. There may also be new fellowships that are aimed at training EM grads (which will have different strengths and weaknesses compared to IM grads). Take a look at BIDMC's new EM/CC program. It will be interesting to see what changes programs make when this agreement goes through.

The appeal is two-fold. ED crowding (boarding critically ill patients for longer and longer times) makes it so that EM physicians have more exposure to very sick patients. Also, it is now accepted that early resuscitation and intensive care is better for critically ill patients than waiting for them to be admitted to the ICU.

Last edited:
Thanks. A bit complicated but I seem to get the gist of it.