Caribbean Medical School over D.O. Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caribbean vs D.O.

• Caribbean Med Schools

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • D.O. Schools

Votes: 114 82.0%

• Total voters

NoleDoc

FEAR THE SPEAR!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want an overall vote. If you had to choose between either of the two, which one would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

NEVER pick Carrib over DO. DOs have way better pass rates for the boards and way better placement into MD residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has been made a bunch of times before. (use the search function next time maybe?) The answer is always that DO is better than going to the Caribbean. The initials after your name are not worth the vastly elevated risk level that comes with going out of the country. Why so many premeds can't wrap their heads around that is beyond me. The Caribbean is certainly an option and there are good doctors that went that route but it isn't easy and attrition is high.

I think the poll may be novel. But, for me, it would be the comfort of living in the states. From what I've heard, most caribbean islands where the schools are are developing nations, and some have high crime rates. Also, DO's have better board scores and less attrition.

i would like to hear the side of those who picked why Caribbean med school is better option than DO.

please elaborate.

Because you get to live in the Caribbean!

Did anyone see that yankees blowout last night? I don't think the Angels have the firepower to win 2 more in a row. Looks like another yanks world series.

Did anyone see that yankees blowout last night? I don't think the Angels have the firepower to win 2 more in a row. Looks like another yanks world series.

I know. The only Angels win was in xtra innings too.

I'd rather do neither but honestly I can't believe people would ever consider the Caribbean... If you wanted to be a doctor that badly you should have tried harder to get into USMD schools.

I'd rather do neither but honestly I can't believe people would ever consider the Caribbean... If you wanted to be a doctor that badly you should have tried harder to get into USMD schools.

Naaa

There are many very successful physicians practicing who are FMG's. We don't have a monopoly on science and medicine. In fact, we are looked at as the slow little brother in many countries as far as medical education and science goes.

If you have no other options this could be a great route to being a licensed practicing physician. Most patients wont ask you where you went to med school anyway.

You don't think everyone who goes tot he Caribbean didn't try "hard" to get into a US school?

The EM Doctor that interviewed me told me he applied 6 times and didn't get in. He didn't know about the Caribbeans then and would have applied sooner if he knew.

News for you - everyone in the Caribbean is there because they want to be a doctor badly. I don't like it when people state things like this because its kind of like the argument of "well if you really want to go to Harvard then you should try harder to get in", we all know this doesn't apply to everyone. Circumstances just aren't right for everyone. People go to the Caribbeans for all sorts of different reasons. It isn't because they are lazy, unmotivated pre-meds, those have all probably dropped out by now. Caribbeans schools I think have a much more competitive environment than US schools.

Remember "C = MD". You can get Cs in US medical school and still get residency. In the Caribbeans, you have to be one of the best students to make it to the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Naaa

There are many very successful physicians practicing who are FMG's. We don't have a monopoly on science and medicine. In fact, we are looked at as the slow little brother in many countries as far as medical education and science goes.

If you have no other options this could be a great route to being a licensed practicing physician. Most patients wont ask you where you went to med school anyway.

mainly science..

Remember "C = MD". You can get Cs in US medical school and still get residency. In the Caribbeans, you have to be one of the best students to make it to the end.

Sure, but the crop of students aren't exactly stellar at the Caribbean. Not trying to be rude, just my opinion.

As for the rest of your post, I agree, everyone's circumstances are different, but med schools account for that. There are people who make it into USMD schools with below average GPAs and/or a not so good MCAT, but they make it up with other aspects of their applications.

I'm sure there are good doctors that come out of the Caribbean, but it should be the very last option for anyone. The Caribbean schools seem more like money mills down there than anything. Again, just my opinion.

Oh dear god, not again.

I'm going to a Caribbean school (Ross) and 100% vote for DO over Carib.

It's not about smarts or "trying harder" or passion or "getting around the system" or whatever else you want to call it. It's about maximizing your chances in becoming a doctor. Medical school is only the next step in a long line of steps. All the choices you make should have a top priority of maximizing your chances of reaching "The Goal." Going to the Caribbean when you have to opportunity to go DO is not accomplishing that goal. Any other secondary questions/concerns/objectives/excuses you may have are absolutely meaningless.

Go to the Caribbean if you have to. (I have to.) If you have the choice, go DO.

:)

There are a lot of downsides to being a DO as well. Most of the people I know that ended up going to the Caribbeans didn't go because they couldn't get into a DO school. They went because they didn't want to explain what a DO was to their patients for the rest of their careers. Also, some countries don't recognize DO as much when it comes to mission work.

IMHO, I think both have their pros and cons. I wouldn't rank one over the other. If you could make it in the Caribbeans and end up being a MD, I would much rather take that route.

The only really good reason I can think of to go Caribbean over DO is if you're hoping to practice in another country where the DO degree isn't recognized.

n/a

Last edited:
There are a lot of downsides to being a DO as well. Most of the people I know that ended up going to the Caribbeans didn't go because they couldn't get into a DO school. They went because they didn't want to explain what a DO was to their patients for the rest of their careers. Also, some countries don't recognize DO as much when it comes to mission work.

IMHO, I think both have their pros and cons. I wouldn't rank one over the other. If you could make it in the Caribbeans and end up being a MD, I would much rather take that route.

One of the weakest reasons to go Caribbean that I have ever seen.

One of the weakest reasons to go Caribbean that I have ever seen.

Oh really...I have met quite a few docs who have all advised me the same thing. I have also seen patients request other doctors because they didn't think their DO was a "real" doctor. I think I had to explain to a patient once that their doctor was a real doctor and that DO does count.

So I guess based on my experiences, it seems pretty legitimate. Actually I think that is one of the main reasons why people pick MD Caribbean over US DO.

Might be weak to you because you haven't had to do that. If you are a DO then please enlighten us all. If you are a MD then...

There are a lot of downsides to being a DO as well. Most of the people I know that ended up going to the Caribbeans didn't go because they couldn't get into a DO school. They went because they didn't want to explain what a DO was to their patients for the rest of their careers.

Also, some countries don't recognize DO as much when it comes to mission work.

:rolleyes:

If a DO loses a pt. because they want to see an MD, there will be plenty of others waiting in line that don't give a rats ass. DO's have no problem booking appts. It took me 3 weeks to see an OMM doctor...

Missions work? For the countries you are doing mission work in they couldn't care less. It's if you want to PRACTICE in another country that causes your options to be slightly limited. But honestly, how many doctors do that anyway? That is a pre-med dream idea for the most part.

*sigh* I'm just trying to set things straight...but let the flame war begin.

I used to think Caribbean was a good option. And if you really apply yourself when you're there, things can work out fairly well for you. But overall the Caribbean choice is risky at best and foolish at worst.

DO, definitely.

Also, keep in mind that DOs will continue to get more recognition as time goes on.

Journal: Troll carcass in alley this morning, banned for asking about prestige. This forum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of neuroticism and when the threads finally lock, all the vermin will flame. The accumulated filth of all their "MD vs DO?" and "Which school should I go to" will foam up about their waists and all the mods and admins will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'Lol whut?'

BEST SIG EVER.

(Sorry. I couldn't help myself.)

+100000000000000000000

I used to think Caribbean was a good option. And if you really apply yourself when you're there, things can work out fairly well for you. But overall the Caribbean choice is risky at best and foolish at worst.

DO, definitely.

Also, keep in mind that DOs will continue to get more recognition as time goes on.
[...]formally extends heartfelt congratulations to the Class of 2013 ... you are off to a great start! Welcome to the osteopathic profession ... you are joining a cohort of physicians-in-training which will be 1/3rd of the profession when you start practice. You will shape our future!

So yes, prevalence is increasing.

I think I had to explain to a patient once that their doctor was a real doctor and that DO does count.

Phew, thank god there was a pre-med there to save the DO :laugh:

Why do you people still answer these questions? Do you really leave hearing (seeing) yourself speak? I tried to discuss the yankees above but only one person wanted to talk about sports. You losers would rather talk about MD vs DO than sports - that says a lot. Goodbye.

Why do you people still answer these questions? Do you really leave hearing (seeing) yourself speak? I tried to discuss the yankees above but only one person wanted to talk about sports. You losers would rather talk about MD vs DO than sports - that says a lot. Goodbye.
I'm watching the game on GameCast.

Oh really...I have met quite a few docs who have all advised me the same thing. I have also seen patients request other doctors because they didn't think their DO was a "real" doctor. I think I had to explain to a patient once that their doctor was a real doctor and that DO does count.

So I guess based on my experiences, it seems pretty legitimate. Actually I think that is one of the main reasons why people pick MD Caribbean over US DO.

Might be weak to you because you haven't had to do that. If you are a DO then please enlighten us all. If you are a MD then...

Yes really. In the grand scheme of things, having a few patients wonder what the letters after your name mean is chump change in comparison to what can go wrong in the process of going through the Caribbean medical school process.

Maybe we'd just rather not talk about the Yankees.:smuggrin:

Alwaysbehopeful,

Please don't spew ignorant information.

Thanks,

dude1344

I'm a DO. Never had to explain. Not once. Then again, I'm in the ER, I introduce myself as "tkim, your doctor," so there's no question. They see my ID, so if they have any questions or concerns about my title, they are reassured by my care and don't ask. Or maybe after I give them some Dilaudid and Lortab, they got no problem with me - a doctor for the people. ;)