AP vs. Dual Enrollment

c5212

to look fly in scrubs
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says... what are the pros/cons of AP vs Dual Enrollment? i.e. AP English Lit. or Comp. vs English 101

Members don't see this ad.

Very big difference actually.

AP- Same level class, but have to take very hard exam at the end for college credit(need to pass for credit). Free(pay for AP test). More work I think.

Dual Enroll-Not usually free. College class. Only can take a certain number of credit hours per semester.Takes up time during school day.

All depends on what you want to do, I think AP looks better on a transcript though. Don't ask me, I have done neither of these things.

I personally think dual enrollment is better. It will give you exposure to college-level courses and prepare you to be a full-time college student. I'm assuming you're talking about a community college or state university, where the classes aren't that expensive. AP courses can be difficult; if you go through the entire year with a poor teacher and don't score high enough on the exam, you will get no college credit whatsoever (whereas, if you're taking college classes, you will without a doubt have college credit).

Members don't see this ad :)
Very big difference actually.

AP- Same level class, but have to take very hard exam at the end for college credit(need to pass for credit). Free(pay for AP test). More work I think.

Dual Enroll-Not usually free. College class. Only can take a certain number of credit hours per semester.Takes up time during school day.

All depends on what you want to do, I think AP looks better on a transcript though. Don't ask me, I have done neither of these things.

In my school we only have to pay for social studies AP tests, and nothing at all for dual enrollment courses unless there are lab fees. There is also no limit on however many we choose to take (7 periods=7dr classes I guess), and they fit in with our regular graduation requirements also.

I also think selective colleges want to see applicants who take the challenge, therefore taking some AP classes rather than only honors and dual enrollment.

I had both (5 AP, 1 dual enrollment), so here's how it was at my high school/college:
AP:
Pros-At my college at least, I got 3-8 credits for every AP class I took. So, I'm definately using some of them for my core (I definately want to get out of every history and English class I can.) Also, I did not have to take Calc I like the other freshmen bio majors at my school because I already have AP credit for it which gave me room in my schedule for another class. If you take the class in college, if you had a good teacher it should be an easy A- at least which is good when you're adjusting to college. Also, in high school, you have more time in class usually to have things explained to you.
Cons-Depending on your major, some schools still will force you to take college Bio/chem (I have to take chem even though I have credit for it because I got a 3 instead of a 5), but honestly that was a good thing for me.

Dual Enrollment:
Pros-You're exposed to what college is really like. You know you are gauranteed the credit whether you pass or fail which is the biggest pro because at my school at least, you get to schedule sooner if you have more credits and everyone keeps on telling me you can get into better classes if you do have more credits. You get a grade in the class which can help your college GPA.
Cons-Some credits don't necessarily cross over. Your grade can hurt you college GPA.

My 2 cents: Don't do duel enrollment. Save college for when you get there, you will be plenty prepared, one CC class isn't going to change that. The CC grade will stick with you when you apply for medical school. Haven't you seen enough people on SDN with a crappy GPA because of CC classes they took in HS?

My 2 cents: Don't do duel enrollment. Save college for when you get there, you will be plenty prepared, one CC class isn't going to change that. The CC grade will stick with you when you apply for medical school. Haven't you seen enough people on SDN with a crappy GPA because of CC classes they took in HS?

I disagree. As long as you can stay on top of the work, I say go for it. I'm pulling out A's right now in both of my intro classes now that I know the way the system works (scored an 84 on my last test, studying more now).

Also, my AP classes are more difficult than my community college courses by far. The college courses, however, I find are more in depth.

It looks the best if you can tackle both AP's at HS and college courses at your CC/Local State Uni.

It's a ton of work though, so just make sure that you don't spread yourself too thin.

Dual credit courses are by far more likely to be accepted by medical schools/you won't need to retake them (I can't think of any reason you would need to retake them).

APs on the other hand, as ppl have stated, are difficult, often not taught well, many ppl dont get the AP credit, colleges may not accept it, and medical schools tend to make students retake certain AP science classes

So, say you took Gen. Chem 1 as a dual credit class, you won't need to retake it, whereas if you took AP chem, many schools would make you retake gen chem/take an upper level chem to compensate

Go dual credit. I wish I had, but unfortunately I was unaware of such things as a high school student.

Make sure you work hard though! In dual credit you will receive a letter grade, which will affect your college undergrad gpa, so try to start off on a good note