out-of-state friendly schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-money

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
albany
boston
ohio state
creighton
drexel
georgetown
USC
KU
MCohio
UMInnesota
NJ medical school
NYMC
MCWisconsin
Penn State
Rush
SLU
Temple
George Washington
Jefferson
Tuft
Tulane
IOwa
UMaryland
Rochester
Vermont
UWisconsin madison
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Wayne
OHSU

let me know if i'm wrong with any of these schools,,
thought it might help..

Members don't see this ad.

You should defintely add Finch to that list.

I don't think Maryland is out-of-state friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UVA also friendly or no?

UVA is pretty out of state friendly - they have about a 3:2 in-state: out-of-state ratio.

Also, UCLA is out-of-state friendly.

UMich has a 1:1 instate/ out of state ratio, but they aren't real easy to get into for anyone...

Originally posted by Rapid Decomposition
UVA is pretty out of state friendly - they have about a 3:2 in-state: out-of-state ratio.

Also, UCLA is out-of-state friendly.

UCLA only accepts 50 out of state students, UCSF on the other hand accepts a "whoppling" 70.

Neither are real friendly to out of state students in my opinion.

I would also add UVA, and also University of Cincinnati. If you don't mind the majority afirican american schools, Meharry is also out of state friendly.

I did not think that the NJ schools were that out of state friendly.

I agree that the NJ schools are NOT out of state friendly.... particularly the one in Newark. They are supposed to send a secondary automatically, and I had to call TWICE to beg them for it. They acted like I was putting them out.

If I remember correctly, it asks you to explain why Newark, etc....

The NJMed websites make it sound like they are/becoming more out of state friendly, but I think that may just be a scam to solicit out of state fees.... at least, I don't buy it, after my experiences with them.

i thought maryland was outofstate friendly..may be i;m wrong..
sorry..

I don't know if Maryland is or isn't out of state friendly.. they sent me the secondary, which is not supposed to be automatic for out of staters, and so I was encouraged, but that is one long, long secondary. (No essays, but lots of questions, and does anybody have a typewriter anymore?) And then I didn't get interviewed, so I don't know.

How about albert einstein or mt. sinai..?

Originally posted by heelshmeel
How about albert einstein or mt. sinai..?
pretty much any NY school that doesnt have "SUNY" in the name is out of state friendly

is OHSU really out of state friendly?

i got into NJMS out of state and I know a handful of people on SDN who did. i think you just have to write a convincing "why do you want to come here" essay ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that whether schools are friendly to you, depends a lot on the strength of you application, and when you apply (earlier the better).

For instance, I know you don't have a chance at getting in as an out of stater if you aren't 3.5 BCMP or better and 30 or above on the MCAT. You just won't make the "preferred" out of state list.

The higher your stats, the more schools will be friendly... except of course, Nevada, Arizona, and Louisiana.

Are you basing it on the "average" applicant? It sure would be nice to save some people $ in the application process...

:)

Lebesque---
I was basing my estimation of friendliness on my perception of my reception at those schools relative to my reception at other out of state schools. I was a very late applicant, with stats in the the category that you describe as within the "preferred" grouping.

DW-- you may be on to something with the importance of those why you essays, I was at something at a loss for words on those

You can add Howard. Also University of Miami since they are trying to go national. :rolleyes:

What about Mayo?!?

ku isn't very out-of-state friendly... only about 10% of out-of-state applicants get secondaries and only a handful get interviews and acceptances. however, if you have close ties to kansas in some way (lived there for part of your life, have family there) then that helps a lot.

Medical College of Ohio and UCONN (20% of their classes are made up of out of staters)

Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a jersey-ite, but I feel like njms was a lot more out of state friendly than many other state schools. At my interview, I was the only official state resident - many were from ny, one cali and one mn person. As for the secondary - that one person must have mixed up their schools. The NJMS "secondary" is a letter asking you to forward a check and your lor's - no essays included.

Another IMO, Maryland's out of state friendly - somehow i got an interview and i am not competitive with their avg. stats.

Ohio State has been increasing the number of out of state students over the past couple of years. Class of 2005 is about 20%, my class (2006) is 30%, and I've heard that the class of 2007 has a 30% out of state representation. They seem to have taken a liking to folks from Utah (13 in my class!), Arizona, and California. It's all part of an administrative effort to make admissions more competitive and drive up our ranking in US News.

uconneticut....i didn't know they were out-of-state friendly?

Originally posted by pre-money
uconneticut....i didn't know they were out-of-state friendly?

From what I have learned about it they do take like 10% out-of-state. But they really give preference to people with ties to the state. This info comes from someone I went to high school with in CT, who like me later became a California resident, and ended up at UConn for med school as an out-of-state student. So I am not sure how really out-of-state friendly they are but they definitely do interview a lot of out-of-state people she said.

what about cincinati..?

UMiami now wants more out of staters.

For the state schools that are more middle to lower tier, do you need killer numbers coming from out of state? I mean I know for the UCs out of state you need to be a stellar candidate, but for schools like Maryland, Miami, UVA, are there gpa cutoffs? Like no one with less than a 3.5 overall and 30 MCAT out of state

Do the UC's care at all if you have ties to the state if you're not a resident? I know it's always a long shot with them, but will it make any difference that I was born and raised in Cali, and have family there still? I would think it might, since the official line of reasoning as to why they take so many Cali residents at UCLA, UCSF, and also USC even though these schools claim not to give preference to residents is that state residents are more likely to matriculate, so a person with strong ties to the state would also be more likely to matriculate there as well. I haven't heard anything about this though, so I'm not sure if they really consider it or not. Anyone know?

You forgot UT Southwestern. As far as I know, they take 10% out of state, not including MD/PhD. Also, eveyone pays in-state tuition ($6500/year, pretty sweet!) Out of states just get a "scholarship" to cover the difference in tuition mandated by the Texas state legislature. (And it's automatic, and for all 4 years.)

Naphtali

Um,

Why are private schools on this list for "Out of State Friendly". That makes no sense. A school like Gtown doesn't care what state you are from - its not a DC school.

Originally posted by TexasGuy41
Um,

Why are private schools on this list for "Out of State Friendly". That makes no sense. A school like Gtown doesn't care what state you are from - its not a DC school.

thats not really true. even schools that are technically "private" sometimes receive some state funding to support medical education, therefore do favor in state residents. Temple for example is like this. Even Emory (top 20 school according to usnews, >100 million in NIH $ for the medical school, multi billion dollar private unversity endowment) favors instate residents since its primary clinical teaching site is heavily subsidized by the state of GA.

I would say Maryland IS out-of-state friendly. I was interviewed in November and most everyone else at my interview was also out-of-state. I was accepted a month later. oh- and I have the gpa stats but only a 29 on MCAT-so they must not have hard cutoffs. I second MCV and MCWisconsin- I had early interviews at both (I'm from Wash.State)

anybody here applied to wayne as a non-resident?