Gaining in-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazy Hippos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think someone might have posted a thread about this earlier, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know which schools allow you to apply for residency and pay in-state tuition after the first year? I know Ohio does, but I'm not sure about the others.

Members don't see this ad.

Florida you no longer can.

Members don't see this ad :)
To add to the list, from what is described on the ISU website, Iowa is a firm NO for anyone from another state who is in school full time in Iowa, regardless of voter registration, job, etc.

Thanks guys! Same thread name and everything, huh? :embarrassed:

In case anyone else is curious:

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota
Washington State

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland
Cornell
Florida
Iowa

Very difficult, but with exceptions
Auburn - marriage to resident; possibly military
Oklahoma - marriage to resident
Tennessee - marriage to resident

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Same thread name and everything, huh? :embarrassed:

In case anyone else is curious:

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota
Washington State

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland
Cornell
Florida
Iowa

Very difficult, but with exceptions
Auburn - marriage to resident; possibly military
Oklahoma - marriage to resident
Tennessee - marriage to resident

I'm not sure we can rely on this list, especially since policies can change, and some of the school websites say nothing about it or are confusing.

I can only afford to apply to schools where I can get IS tuition for at least 3 years, so the accuracy of this list is VERY important to me (and I know it is to some others as well). My personal list of schools to apply to (compiled last year) included Oregon, but I see that the SDN list has them in the NO category.

Can we get some SDN'ers to each pick a school or two and call/email them to verify where they should be on the list, and then we can create an accurate 2010 IS tuition thread?

I volunteer to contact (the schools I need to check with anyway): Oregon, Wisconsin, & Ohio.

I volunteer to contact (the schools I need to check with anyway): Oregon, Wisconsin, & Ohio.

Its no issue for Ohio as long as you jump through their proper hoops.(which isnt anything to worry about)

Another awesome thing about Ohio is that if your parent or spouse moves to Ohio with you and takes on a full-time job, you are granted in-state tuition immediately. Well, provided you do a few other easy things, such as register your car in Ohio and get an Ohio driver's license. I have been paying in-state tuition at Ohio State from the first quarter even though I came from out of state. Something to think about if you are married! If not, though, you should still get the in-state tuition rate the last three years.

Good, to know, karmapple!

I'm sure about OKSU's place. Unless you can work full time during vet school for a year (doubtlful, huh?) or feel like marrying an Okie, you're stuck with OOS status.

should minnesota really be on the yes list? I work with a vet graduate from minnesota and she never got residency

As of 2010, the following 2 schools are definite No's:

Oregon State
Univ of Wisconsin

which really puts a wrench in my plans, dammit! :mad:

Also confirmed:

Definite Yes:

Ohio

I'm curious, since it's been mentioned that Florida changed their policy, what happens if you're already a 1st year student there (OOS) when the policy changes. Are you grandfathered in or are you suddenly stuck paying OOS for 3 more years? That would SUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding Twelvetigers new avatar...WTF? :laugh:

I'm curious, since it's been mentioned that Florida changed their policy, what happens if you're already a 1st year student there (OOS) when the policy changes. Are you grandfathered in or are you suddenly stuck paying OOS for 3 more years? That would SUCK!

The change was made this past spring after the students were accepted. Out of state students were offered the option of deferring for a year so they could move to Florida and establish in-state residency and start as IS students in the 2014 class.

That was a 1 time deal though because they were accepted under the impression they could get in-state tuition.

Hey, don't look at me like that! It's Flight of the Conchords! Google 'sugarlumps' and watch the YouTube video for it. :hungover:
That doesn't mean you had to make it your avatar! :p I didn't "recognize" you at first because I was so used to your hypnotic spinning dog.

BTW, karmapple, I can't stop staring at your avatar with the levitating poodle. I guess I'm easily amused.

Hey, I posted a notice in another thread...

Seriously guys, do I need to make a new thread called 'hey guys, avatar change' and post in it each time I feel like a change? :hungover:

Missouri is a definite yes (as long as you make $2000 and prove that you spent the summer in MO).

NCSU is a definite yes. We, as students, have free legal counsel. The lawyers meets with OOS students during orientation that want to gain IS status, to start the procedures and paperwork.

NCSU is a definite yes. We, as students, have free legal counsel. The lawyers meets with OOS students during orientation that want to gain IS status, to start the procedures and paperwork.

I really want to get into NCSU! Only a couple more weeks till the bomb drops!

Can anyone tell me more info on the Oklahoma tuition status change? I own a house here, pay taxes, have been a grad student at OSU for 2 years, have my car registered here, and am a voter...however I was told that I still had to apply as OOS because I did not 'work' for 40 hours a week for 365 days prior to submitting the application. The reason I'm wondering is because my fiance (OK resident) and I are waiting until I'm finished to make it legal...but if it saves us 60K, there might be a courthouse in our near future.

If anyone knows how to go about changing residency in OK, or who I need to talk to. (they give me the run around when I call) And do you know if I still need to do 1 year as OOS? Thanks for any help.

bumping cause this thread was very very helpful to me and anyone applying OOS should know what they're going to be paying. Does anyone know if you can obtain in-state tuition at Illinois? I also might be calling Washington tomorrow to get a definite answer, unless someone else knows for sure.

bumping cause this thread was very very helpful to me and anyone applying OOS should know what they're going to be paying. Does anyone know if you can obtain in-state tuition at Illinois? I also might be calling Washington tomorrow to get a definite answer, unless someone else knows for sure.

You can but it takes some shenanigans and it's not something they particularly advertise. I looked into it because it was my second choice school (I'm originally from IL and all my family is still there). You have to basically have a job that's not university affiliated that provides half your income for tuition and expenses. http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/residentreg.cfm explains what you need to prove residency. It's not as straightforward as in other states, but it's doable if you can find some way to get the income you need (my parents were going to "hire" me for their law office). You could also buy property or get married too I guess, but that would be a bit tougher.

should minnesota really be on the yes list? I work with a vet graduate from minnesota and she never got residency

Yeah, Minnesota is definitely not on the "YES" list. You have to jump through some serious hoops or marry a resident.