Is trig/algebra really that useful for calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missbones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of taking an entire semester course of trig/algebra II which doesn't count for credits or GPA, its just a pass/fail prep course for calc I, this being the easier version of calc (for social/life sciences).

I can easily cram for the calc placement test and place into the calc class, but is this advisable? Should I take my time and do the semester of prep? Is a firm understanding of trig/algebra really essential for success or is it just a silly pre-req?

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of calc is trig and algebra, infact that is the hard part

I have the option of taking an entire semester course of trig/algebra II which doesn't count for credits or GPA, its just a pass/fail prep course for calc I, this being the easier version of calc (for social/life sciences).

I can easily cram for the calc placement test and place into the calc class, but is this advisable? Should I take my time and do the semester of prep? Is a firm understanding of trig/algebra really essential for success or is it just a silly pre-req?

Any help is appreciated.

You ABSOLUTELY need to understand them. If you don't know trig, you're not going to make it past the first day of calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say the algebra is more important than trig (at least that was how it was emphasized in my classes). The trig stuff is easy to memorize. If you are allowed to use calculators, then it's absolute cake...don't even worry. If not, make sure you know the "unit circle" (values for trig functions at common angles like pi/4, pi/2, pi/3, pi, and 2pi) and have a basic knowledge of trig. Chances are that unless your class is super rigorous, you won't need to know a bunch of those messy trig substitution formulas (double angle / half angle, etc) but if you are good at memorizing it will honestly take you a day.

Can you sign up for both classes and then drop the pass/fail one if you find out that you can handle Calc 1? That's what I'd do. If you can't, I'd honestly go for Calc 1. My pre-calculus and "trig / algebra II" courses in high school didn't help me at all in Calculus...you basically re-learn what you need to know.

Edit: On second thought, if trig / algebra II is COMPLETELY new to you it might be a good idea to take the review course. But did you have any of this in high school? If you did I can almost guarantee you it'll be sufficient.

uh how do you expect to take calc without having taken algebra 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Algebra at least with the teacher I took it with was absolutely essential. Trig was too, but mostly for the trig identities. Cause, you can figure out sin, cos and tan, of 0 30 45 60 90, easily if you can remember the ratios in the 30-60-60 and the 45-45-90 triangles. Which should already be pounded into your head. Or you could tattoo it to your arm.

OMG YES!!!! Please don't make the same mistake I did.. I suffered!!! I took the placement test and initially was not even "qualified" to take College Algebra.. so I went home, studied an Alg II book, retook the test and placed into Calculus. How that happened I don't know.. I certainly am not good at math, and was not prepared for Calc. Highest math I had ever was Alg II which was like 7 years ago. I was in way over my head... I was practically failing come the drop date (my avg was about a 69-70) but chose to stick with it and it took about 15 hours/week of working with a tutor all semester and practically all of my spare time doing practice problems (every problem in the book over and over and over again) to bring my grade up. Once I had a good understanding of the algebra and trig (both of which were the hardest parts) I was acing the exams and missing very very few points. I ended up with a B+ but could have easily gotten an A if I had just taken the prereqs. If I were in your shoes.. I'd take the algebra/trig class.. it will make Calc soo much easier! Hope that helps!

Both are absolutely essential. Have you taken pre-calc? Usually you'll go over all the trig you need to know in pre-calc. It's definitely necessary to familiarize yourself well with trig and algebra if you're planning on doing well. For calc I, I don't think the trig is too bad, IMO, but it's definitely all about the algebra. calc II will test your trig skills in a variety of ways.

I would suggest taking the class, not just to get the credit, but to actually learn, especially if you haven't taken algebra II or pre-calc.

Everyone else has said it and I feel this point is worth repeating for emphasis: algebra and trig are absolutely essential to calculus. Except for maybe calc II stuff, the hardest part and most of your time will be spent doing algebraic operations. The math involved in calculus is really all algebra applications with few exceptions. The concepts are obviously simply calc.

Ummm...really? How exactly do you prepare for calculus without algebra II and trig?

If you don't have the basics down in geometry, algebra II, and pre-calc, you can expect to spend all of calculus working really hard.

Any help is appreciated.

Hmm...

Prof: "So class, today we are going to learn about the derivatives of sin^-1 and cos^-1."

OP: "Uh... what's a sin^-1? Is that like 1/sin?"

Later...

Prof: "Today, we are going to begin optimizations. We will begin by exploring the properties of quadratic equations using their derivatives."

OP: "What's a quadratic?"

...Are we beginning to see a pattern here...? lol

I took it in high school, but that was over 4 years ago. If I can pass the placement exam they'll just put me in the class without forcing me to take alg/trig. There is no pre-calc requirement because it is calc for life/social sciences.

But based on all the responses I've gotten I'll just stick with the alg/trig course for a semester. No harm, no foul. Definitely want that A in calc so it is worth it.

Thanks for all the great responses.

I have taken 5 levels of calculus so far throughout my undergrad and I can tell you that if you do not have a solid background and understanding in both algebra and geometry you will be screwed when taking calc 1

I have taken 5 levels of calculus so far throughout my undergrad and I can tell you that if you do not have a solid background and understanding in both algebra and geometry you will be screwed when taking calc 1

There are really only three calculus courses (I, II, and III) and the rest just use an extensive amount of calculus. ODEs, PDEs, Advanced Calculus, Complex Variables, etc all have a lot of calculus, but are really just applications of things you already learned in I-III.

Taking calculus before algebra is like learning to run before learning to walk.

Of course you need it. Man that was long ago, I took Algebra 2 and Trig back when I was high school freshman.