Rol 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It'sElectric

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone certified yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't even logged onto the site yet. Two of my friends certified already though. :eek::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
May change mine also, but as of now it looks like this....

1. Christ
2. UMich
3. Highland
4. Cook County
5. Cincinnati
6. Denver

Several others that didn't deserve to be this low, and won't mention for that reason because they were such good programs. I would feel lucky to mactch at any of these programs I listed. Will be posting reviews shortly on all the programs I interviewed at, 11 all together.

Hopefully people can give at least a one-liner on each program (as was done in years past) why they are ranking the way they are... even if it's as simple as geographic preference...

This list has been certified, but is not final:

1. Indianapolis. I loved PD and the faculty and how well everyone got along. PD seemed truly dedicated to resident well-being. Truly seemed like a family. Loved the hours, the 1:1 ICU, moonlighting in the fast track in 2nd year. Not incredibly fond of Indianapolis, but I have family nearby. Wished they would let me ride a helicopter.

2. Pitt. Loved everything about this program especially the faculty, residents, Jeep, helicopter, chance to go to Hawaii. I especially loved Pittsburgh as a city. Reminded me of San Francisco. I might have ranked this 1st except for family in Indy.

3. UNM. Great natural location especially if you like outdoors. Loved the faculty and commitment to international & underserved medicine. Wasn't greatly impressed by the hospital and ABQ had kind of a backwoods town feel (the hotel I stayed at had the 10 commandments posted out front).

4. UMich. Great program director and faculty. Solid training with lots of ICU months. Didn't get a really strong impression of the residents.

5. UW Madison. Young program with a lot of potential. Residents seemed to have a lot of autonomy. City was nice (but cold). Wasn't really impressed with the PD. Seemed to talk about himself a lot.

6. Mayo. Fantastic facilities. Really liked the residents and program director. Got the sense that ED was kind of like the unloved step-child. Not really fond of Rochester.

7. Henry Ford. Loved the PD, but my other 2 interviews I didn't really click with. They weren't hostile but definitely brusque. Residents seemed to have a lot of autonomy and see a lot of stuff, but seemed kind of harried.

8. Wake Forest. Loved the city and surrounding area. Liked the residents. Didn't have a positive interview experience. Felt like the PD wasn't really buying into me.

Last edited:
8. Wake Forest. Loved the city and surrounding area. Really liked the residents. Didn't have a positive interview experience. Felt like the PD wasn't really buying into me.

My experience too... and a similar experience to many whom I have met on the interview trail. About the PD that is.

My ROL

if you disagree with anything I say below please realize these are opinions I made while having a day and half to see your program which means I was not exposed to the full spectrum of what goes on there.

1. Christ- Awesome program with great pathology, extremely sick pateints and is incredibly busy. Add that to a relatively small(er) program and you get a ton of contact with critical patients. I also think the christ residents cut loose after shifts extremely well, and they spend a TON of time selecting their applicants and residents so that they are truly hand-picked. Christ residents tend to be the extraverts that also performed extremely well in medical school (lots of AOAer's and top board scores). Would love an opportunity to be a resident here. As far as negatives that i saw I think being in oak lawn is what allows the program to be strong, is definitely a negative. i also think the hospital is relatively unknown (even people in chicago don't know what christ hospital is). The other thing some people may see as a negative is there is no graduated responsibilty, and i think the first years struggle alot and sometimes even fear going to work because it can be very stressful (I think this sounds like a great challenge however).

2. Umich- Clearly a great academic institution, with unparalleled off-service rotations. I loved the 8 months in the ICU and thought it really would be helpful especially with all the boarding of critical pateints that occurs today in the ED. I actually liked ann arbor a lot too. I think the three sites is a plus in that there is academics, community and "countyish". I ranked it second because I think in the end christ sees more pathology that will be managed by the ED without the possibility of consulting awesome other services like ENT/Plastics/ORtho etc....Would still love to be a resident here though

3. Highland- A really great county program siimlar to christ i thought in terms of pathology and residents (very cool group and very happy overall). I think oakland is a great place to live and think it would train you very well. In the end I think christ had a similar experience in 3 yrs and I could use the extra time for fellowship. Again bad a** program and would love to have a chance to train here.

4. Cook- Great program, with a great mix of pathology. I think their intern year is not very high yield and they get less EARLY exposure to procedures than my others in the top. Lots of floor medicine months in the intern year too, in a place where it did not appear you would learn a ton on off-service rotations. It would be unbelieveable to train here though and the residents write there own ticket for where they want to go. Ohh and their PD Dr. Bowman is awesome, really cool and down to earth guy.

5. Cincinnati- Ahh what a great program. Its hard to say bad things about cincinnati their curriculum has no holes and there flight exp is 2nd to none. What I didn't like was it seemed the residents were more worn down. They didnt seem to get along with the attendings as well as at other programs. I think they are treated a little bit harder by attendings, one grad told me that the program rode him for 2yrs for an early mistake he made. Also 2nd year sounds like you end up being a pledge to the third years being pulled away to do procedures for them, getting called for aircare, all while running your own bay. In theory sounds aweseome, but in practice (for me atleast) not my ideal way of learning.

6. Denver- Strong program great location and fun residents. I think that fact that only 1-2 residents showed up to the dinner the night before said something about how much they work, I did not like their 6/8 days working with few opportunity to switch shifts and not enough residents to switch. I think in the end I thought the amount they work with a less flexible schedule and the fact i didn't think their grads were better after the residency than other residents I met on the trail moved it down on my list to 6.

Again after all the things I have said about the programs above may sound like I was being negative, but in all honesty I would be very lucky to end up at any one of those programs. I also think a little criticism about the different programs allows future applicants to go to a program and see if what other students saw as a negative is really a negative to them or not. In the end go with your gut and be happy with whatever you decide, and don't rely on me or any other person on SDN to help make your decision.

My experience too... and a similar experience to many whom I have met on the interview trail. About the PD that is.

I had the same and also heard the same from others. It was too bad too because I really liked everyone else.

This list has been certified, but is not final:

4. UMich. Great program director and faculty. Solid training with 9 ICU months. Didn't like 12 hour shifts. Didn't get a really strong impression of the residents.

Just to prevent misinformation: ED shifts in years 1 and 2 are 10 hours (9 at the "county-like" hurley. In year 3 they are 9 hours. In year 4, 8 hours.

Just to prevent misinformation: ED shifts in years 1 and 2 are 10 hours (9 at the "county-like" hurley. In year 3 they are 9 hours. In year 4, 8 hours.

Whoa. I wonder where I got that wrong. Thanks for the correction. I'll change my original post.

Members don't see this ad :)
4. UMich. Great program director and faculty. Solid training with 9 ICU months. Didn't get a really strong impression of the residents.

9 ICU months? I interviewed at Michigan last year and I don't remember any program having more than 6 unit months. I looked up Michigan and they have CCU, MICUx2, PICU, NICU (and maybe you can count the trauma month). Where are the rest coming from?

9 ICU months? I interviewed at Michigan last year and I don't remember any program having more than 6 unit months. I looked up Michigan and they have CCU, MICUx2, PICU, NICU (and maybe you can count the trauma month). Where are the rest coming from?
Hm. I interviewed fairly early at Michigan, but I seem to remember pretty clearly hearing the PD bragging that they did 9 ICU months. But looking at their current curriculum site, they have 5 ICU months listed with 3 trauma months. However, I know that site also lists a tox month, which the PD said would be going away. Maybe they're adding another ICU month, which would be 9 altogether.

Maybe a current resident could respond better. Sorry if I'm getting my facts so mixed up on this program.

There trauma months double as burn ICU months as well. You also work in the SICU rounding there so that is why it is an ICU month and therefore there are 8. I think there truama months are very much like ICU months as compared to at other programs where your role really focuses on trauma in the ED.

There trauma months double as burn ICU months as well. You also work in the SICU rounding there so that is why it is an ICU month and therefore there are 8. I think there truama months are very much like ICU months as compared to at other programs where your role really focuses on trauma in the ED.

That is correct I believe - trauma = trauma/burn ICU months (at least intern year where my S.O. is). The ED trauma experience occurs at Hurley (which is in Flint, one of the poorest cities in Michigan) and thus is just listed as an "ED month." Lots of trauma there.

1) Cook County (Stroger): I just love this place. The residents are awesome, the faculty is smart, fun, and completely invested in education, the pathology is second to none, the trauma is first rate, the 4th yr autonomy is near independent, Chicago is the only place I could live outside CA, and working there cleanses the soul. Peds ED is not that great, but the program was just a personality fit.

2) Highland: The coolest program by far. In a similar vein as Cook, but with less of a patient load and better off service rotations. Loved the didactics and attendings, but felt I wasn't as cool as the rest of the residents.

3) Christ: Great pathology, academics, trauma, autonomy, and fellowship potential. Love that you can moonlight after just 2 months. The residents were great, and the drive from downtown is doable, but I just didn't get a great feel for the new PD. 3 yrs is nice, too.

4) Michigan (UMich): The best academic program. All the great facilities/perks, Ann Arbor, lots of ICU, no floors, flight. I hate to drive, though, and there's a lot of distant off site rotations.

5) UCSD (San Diego): LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Great research opportunities and help, connections to SoCal hospitals/physicians, university perks. I just did not hit it off with the residents. This may be superficial, but I disdain catty, passive-aggressive types, and the attendings weren't exactly exciting.

6) Northwestern: The perfect mix of academics, research, pathology, geography, facilities, name and career potential... except I have a visceral repulsion to the culture. I am not linguistically skilled to describe it, but I just would not fit in. Then again, it's only 4 yrs...

7) Virginia (UVA): Great name, city, facilities, career placement, residents and attendings. Just bad pathology and I'm not a fan of the east coast. No wow factor.

I'm putting down a few others, but I pray that I won't have to go too far down the list.

Last edited:
Anyone else brave enough to post prior to close of ranking? I'm interested to see what people think ...

I probably will. I don't see myself posting prior to Feb 24th though, not because I am worried about programs seeing it or something, but because my list is really still very fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if I freak out and change it at the last minute. And yes, I know I'm not supposed to do that.

Ok I'll post . I only applied to 3yr programs. I believe EM training could be done in 3 years and in the future all programs will be 3 years if there are more applicants like me. So bascially I rank my list looking for a rigorous 3 years training in a fun-enough location.

1)U of Maryland - I think this is the best 3yr program out there. It only has 3wks of vacation per year, oh well. It's worth it. Baltimore's not too bad either. Close to many cities on the east coast
2)ORMC - Hard choice between #1 and #2. Orlando's nice but I'm more of a urban/east coast person.
3)UCLA/Harbor amazing people/training/research, never really liked LA.
4)Maimonides - impressed with what I saw. I wish every place could have diversity and no scutwork like this . Good peds fun people fun NYC. But young program, hospital not so hot
5)Indiana - loved this place. Why does it have to be in Indiana?
6)Christ - good vibes from the people and Chicago
7)Temple
8)St Luke's Roosevelt
9)Cooper
10)StonyBrook
10)U of I-Chicago
11)Methodist
12)Beth Israel
13)NYHQ
14)Drexel
15)UCI

How much has your ROL changed, everyone? I keep changing up the middle of the list-almost every other day. I just can't commit!

How much has your ROL changed, everyone? I keep changing up the middle of the list-almost every other day. I just can't commit!

Changing every other day...at least 4-10 are. 1-3 seems to be pretty solid. Biggest jump was one program going from 8 to 4.

Changing every other day...at least 4-10 are. 1-3 seems to be pretty solid. Biggest jump was one program going from 8 to 4.

Same! Except, I had a program go the opposite direction-from #4 to #8!

Same! Except, I had a program go the opposite direction-from #4 to #8!

At least it's the MIDDLE of your list that's fluctuating. My top 3 are playing ring-around-the-rosy. :confused:

Yeah, I'd be happy matching at any of my top 3, too. I'm just having a tough time figuring out the middle part of my list. It's changed at least once a day this week.

Top program = Gold
2nd = Silver
3rd & 4th = Bronze

5th - 11th = "this young athlete will be happy with that placing in his first appearance at the ERAS olympics"

Fail to match = ruptured Achilles tendon injury in training day before competition starts meaning years of preparation and thousands of dollars spent down the drain.

Hey all. I just wanted to get some opinions on programs on my list. A bit about me: I go to school in the midwest but am originally from California. My long-term goal is to go back to Cali for fellowship and/or practice.

Brown
Boston Med Ctr
Advocate Christ
Cook County
U of Chicago
Maryland
Beth Israel Deaconess
Hopkins

Any thoughts on these programs regarding reputation and potential to go back to Cali for fellowship/practice. Thanks.

Hey all. I just wanted to get some opinions on programs on my list. A bit about me: I go to school in the midwest but am originally from California. My long-term goal is to go back to Cali for fellowship and/or practice.

Brown
Boston Med Ctr
Advocate Christ
Cook County
U of Chicago
Maryland
Beth Israel Deaconess
Hopkins

Any thoughts on these programs regarding reputation and potential to go back to Cali for fellowship/practice. Thanks.

I would think that you should have no problems doing a fellowship in CA, especially since you are originally from there. Besides, my understanding is that most fellowships in EM are not that competitive. As far as practice in concerned, thats the beauty of EM, you can practice anywhere you want!
Anyone know when programs submit their ROLs?

If I understood the NRMP page correct then the deadline for students and programs is the 24th at 9 pm.

I'm having trouble making up my mind on Emory and Mount Sinai (NYC). I love both for having significant county-type exposure, critical care and international medicine - BUT...
I got the sense that the residents at both were unhappy. Can anyone share their observations/experiences with these two?

I'm having trouble making up my mind on Emory and Mount Sinai (NYC). I love both for having significant county-type exposure, critical care and international medicine - BUT...
I got the sense that the residents at both were unhappy. Can anyone share their observations/experiences with these two?

I think I remember some reviews on both of these in the residency review thread. Did you check there? (in case no one answers)

I interviewed at both places as well and liked them both. I did not attend the pre-interview shindig for Mount Sinai so I can't say how the residents interacted with each other outside of the hospital, but the Emory residents seemed to have a good time and enjoyed hanging out together. They were planning some sort of outing for the weekend that I was there for my interview, that everyone was invited to and most said they were attending. They definitely did not appear unhappy to me. Maybe you caught them on a bad day??

Not sure about Emory, but I got pretty good vibes from the Mt Sinai residents; seemed very happy. Faculty however did seemed a bit more reserved (professional, if you will) relative to the warm fuzzies I got at other programs...so that gave/gives me some mild pause...

1. BIDMC/HAEMR
2. BWH/MGH/HAEMR
3. UMass
4. Yale
5. Denver
6. Hopkins
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. Harbor UCLA
10. UPenn
11. Orlando
12. UNM
13. Baystate
14. UConn

(disclaimer: There are excellent programs "at the bottom" of my list where I had great interviews and met really great people. There were many factors that went into generating this list from educational to personal/family. I apologize if anyone was offended. I'm sure they will get much better applicants than me anyway)

Last edited:
1. BIDMC/HAEMR
2. BWH/MGH/HAEMR
3. UMass
4. Yale
5. Denver
6. Hopkins
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. Harbor UCLA
10. UPenn
11. Orlando
12. UNM
13. Baystate
14. UConn

(disclaimer: There are excellent programs "at the bottom" of my list where I had great interviews and met really great people. There were many factors that went into generating this list from educational to personal/family. I apologize if anyone was offended. I'm sure they will get much better applicants than me anyway)

Nah, it makes sense. Why did you put Baystate so low though with UMass so high? It was my understanding that they are pretty similar programs only an hour or so away from one another. (honest question)

1. UNM. Great faculty, residents seemed chill with lots of outside interests. PD very into his residents. Critical care heavy and working with underserved pop. ABQ is plus/minus...I'm sure I'd find more plus after living there; surrounding area was beautiful.
2. UNC. Loved this program. PD, faculty and residents seemed down to earth and welcoming. Wakemed is a huge plus. RDU area very nice.
3. Vanderbilt. Also really liked this program and would be very happy to be there. Heavy on teaching. Nashville has a ton to do, but yet very livable city.
4. CMC. Great training and teaching. Very "proud" program.
5. OHSU. Would love to live in Portland, program seemed pretty middle of the road.
6. UC-Davis. I like the location, but again the program didn't particulary stand out. Residents were very laid back.
7. Harbor-UCLA. Really liked the residents, but not sure if LA or county-facility is my cup of tea.
8. Duke. PD was incredibly energetic and engaging. Could have really sold me on the program except for 2 residents showed for the entire interview day and social. Couldn't get a full view of the program.

And the list goes on....

I'd be interested to know how many changes people have made to their ROLs in the last 12 hours. I'll go on record and say 1... so far. :laugh:

I'd be interested to know how many changes people have made to their ROLs in the last 12 hours. I'll go on record and say 1... so far. :laugh:

One change for me as well... but now finalized.

My ideal program has an emphasis on clinical training, preferably in a county setting, with strong EMS and US opportunities, and a location that will appease the SO. I prefer the four-year format but there isn’t one program on my list I wouldn’t be happy to go to.

1. Highland: absolute no brainer. I rotated here and was immediately impressed with the residents and the faculty, both clinically and at conference. Everyone seemed to enjoy being around each other and it was evident that the residents were passionate about their education and cared about their patients. I could go on and on; I am also completely infatuated with the bay area and it would be nice to be closer to friends/family.

2. UCSF: The location did play a large role in getting this program to number two but I did enjoy the interview day and I feel the program would be a good fit for me. EMS and ultrasound look strong and I like the opportunity to work at two different hospitals. Great off-service rotations as well. A lot more residents came to the interview lunch than to the dinner the night before and that definitely helped.

3. USC: Loved it. The people, the curriculum, the hospital, it was all fantastic, but I grew up near LA and it’s not my favorite. Arguably the best clinical training in the country, especially now with the state of the art ED, and there is no doubt that they are developing a powerhouse of educational materials.

4. UCLA-Harbor: Great residents, incredible pathology, closer to beach than USC, etc. Basically, 2-4 were a toss-up and so somewhat arbitrary details were used to sort them out.

5. Stanford: Resources, location, and SO pushed this one to 5. I also liked the EMS /US opportunities.

6. UNM: Probably my favorite program second to Highland. Unfortunately, I wasn’t too hot on Alb and the SO would much rather be in CA. I loved the critical care, wilderness, and EMS components and it looks like US will be great. Would be thrilled to death if I matched here.

7. UCD: Seems like a great program but I would rather avoid 12s. I feel that Sac is underrated as a city. Overall, it just didn't light the fire.

8. UCLA-OV: Straight-up had some awkward experiences during the interview day (however, the dinner that night was incredible) and so that is why it is lower on the list. No complaints about the program with the exception of the commute to OV. I’ve experienced that traffic and it blows! Also seemed a little too academic for me. Just personal preference.

9. BIDMC: Had a great interview day, liked the program. I’m just looking for more of a county experience and would rather be on west coast.

10. Denver: Can’t beat the reputation, and the clinical training seems fantastic, but multiple residents commented that they were stretched thin. They seemed to be happy with the skills they were acquiring but I feel that I can get similar training at other programs without pushing the line quite so hard. I also got altitude sickness the night before my interview, longest day ever.

11. UCSD: Looking for more clinically. Can’t beat the location.

12. Georgetown: Loved it here! Only concern would be getting a job in CA when I’m done. If I was more interested in the east coast then this program would be way up there. And then there’s this winter’s snowmageddon.

13.OHSU: Same as SD

14. Irvine: Too small

15. Maricopa: SO veto. This location on my list in no way reflects my opinion of this great program and the awesome people there.

Yes, I am one of the fearful post-deadline posters... but since I learned so much from reading last year's ROL thread, I had to contribute.

Main theme was that spouse and I would prefer NYC (especially for spousal job opportunities), but #1 was too good to pass up.

1. BIDMC - did a month here, would love to do 36 more (or 48). Most people talk about the 3+1 format as the biggest reason they put it at the top... I have to say, I would rank this #1 if it were a 5 year program. Residents kicked ass, one of the smoothest running ERs I have ever been in (mostly thanks to the dashboard system and fantastic ancillary services), faculty are not only studly but super good teachers and very approachable, great affiliate sites (although I only worked at one), faculty can get people jobs in every crack and crevice of the world, Red Sox games, sim center is off the hook, off-services are strong but not arrogant and will still let you do stuff.
2. NYP - I absolutely loved the very different nature of the two hospitals. Strong med school backing, money, great faculty, perfect location (subsidized housing on UES - great for my family).
3. Mt. Sinai - again, loved contrast of two sites. I think Elmhurst is sick. Really had a great interview day and liked the faculty and residents.
4. BMC - this would be my #2 for sure if it wasn't for our NYC preference. I think this program is amazing. Loved everyone I met on the interview day. Treat residents very well (office space, holler!). Loved the mission of the hospital. Great location.
5. Downstate - clinically trained for everything, no doubt. Just not quite sure about the path to getting there. Didn't seem like the residents were super happy. Good amount of trauma relative to others, which isn't much in the entire city. Faculty are super impressive and were easy to talk to.
6. Jacobi - Similar as above, just like Brooklyn better. Larger resident class (18) and seems like they are constantly overburdened (especially at Monti site).
7. Brown - great program, just not the right location for us.

Last edited:
top 5 ROL.. kinda all over the place

A little background: I'm a so cal native married to another so cal native, both wanting to live somewhere else, but not in a huge city. Fit/feel and personalities were my top consideration, but also wanted strong US and didactics obviously.

1) Christiana - had a great interview day, despite being there during the 'worst blizzard in decades'. Faculty seemed super nice, enthusiastic about teaching and their program. Close enough to Philly to be convenient without having to live there. Went back and forth as my #1 and #2 choice, in the end, Christiana won out because the location affords more job opps for my wife (4 states within commute distance from the hospital).

2) Rochester - impressive facilities, great people, went out of their way to inform me of their ongoing basic science research projects (interest of mine), see above about tie for #1.

3) UF Gainesville - pleasantly surprised by Gainesville. Expansive, brand new ED, very impressive. Connection with NASA is a unique plus. I'm disappointed that the shuttle program is on its way out, although there are other advantages to having the connection. Lots of interesting digital curriculum stuff in the pipline, would like to be involved with. We also have some family near the area.

4) USC - rotated here, absolutely loved it. People were fantastic, new ED is awesome (I :love: resus). Cost of living in So Cal is high. If it were just me, this would be my #1, but I have to take my family into consideration.

5) MCG - pleasantly surprised here as well. People were super friendly and Augusta didn't seem as bad as people make it out to be. Once again, strong ultrasound, and this "niche" emphasis. Low cost of living a plus.

and so on until 11

Last edited:
First choice was BIDMC. I did a month there and loved it. The residents and faculty were great. The available fourth year is awesome...especially if you want to put some more research time in to get off on an academic career. Conferences were very well done and it was quite a thing to see Peter Rosen sitting in front of me asking questions during M&M. My interviews were very layed back and with awsome faculty. I would be very lucky to train at any of the other 11 programs on my list but none of them excited me as much as BIDMC. I can't imagine this isn't going to become one of the most respected programs in the country....unfortunately for me, it is also likely to be super competitive.

Again, felt like I should contribute as I learned a lot from the previous years lists like my friend Ponce de Leon

1. Maine Medical Center
(+) Did a month here and made instant friends with residents/faculty--of all the people I've encountered, I fit in here better than any place and thought it was a group of normal, cool, accomplished people who were brilliant, but didn't act like they were better than anyone else because of it. Few other residencies at MMC, so EM gets to do pretty much all the ortho/ent/optho/etc, a surprisingly high amount of sick pts with ICU acuity the 2nd highest in NE based on APACHE scores, really strong leadership with big-time connections and a substantially high % of ACEP presenters with multiple speaker/teaching awards, integrated peds on every shift, brand new beautiful ED with 6 critical care bays, ocean nearby and a postcard view anywhere along the coast, great winters for cross country skiing/snowshoeing, scheduled cycling rides for residency along the coast during summer when not working, low cost of living for NE, best program coordinator out there (Jane Kane), brand new sim center opening this summer, moonlighting starting 2nd year in the ICU
(-) not as much pt diversity in Maine, farther away from home for me, didn't like a lot of student-specific things during the clerkship (i.e. able to do a lot of procedures, but felt like we had our hands tied with regard to some other things), U/S not as strong as other programs I've seen, not a lot of penetrating trauma

2. Mayo
(+) Great vibes during dinner and interview day, one of best names in medicine, money to spare, can go to Jacksonville or Scottsdale for core or off-service rotations at your discretion, great flexibility, ICU heavy, loved the curriculum, low cost of living, really nice residents/faculty, ability to see some real zebra pathology from all over the world, best gym I've ever seen in my life, best sim center I've seen
(-) Rochester kinda sucks, worried that other services were so strong that EM was like the kid down the street, highly regimented hospital hierarchy that's resistant to change at upper levels, will do anything to protect Mayo brandname and worried about loyalty if something ever went wrong

3. Indiana
(+) Baller program, pretty much just does everything right and have curriculum so well tuned up it's like an Indy car team, very ICU heavy, circadian rhythm, grads go anywhere and are prepared to be leaders, low cost of living, great resident camaraderie, two amazing hospitals for adults and one for peds, high acuity of pts, colts games
(-) Found one of the PDs to be the most abrasive person I've met on the interview trail and this has been repeated by many other interviewees. I debated not even ranking this program because of this. Seriously I'm not the type to get rattled, but he started off the interview trying to pick a fight about how my generation was lazy and entitled. Worried that there might be too much responsibility for an intern in the ICU (i.e. 70-140 pts to cross cover on call), Indy as a city compares to toast without anything on it

4. Christiana
(+) Incredible hospital with lots of $$$ and everything pretty much brand new, amazing benefits, ICU heavy curriculum, few other residencies so EM does pretty much everything in the ED, top notch u/s program and fellowship, light schedule as an intern, program director was one of the best I've met
(-) Would never willingly move to Delaware, had some weird faculty interactions, not many residents at dinner night before (it was very late in the season though)

5. U of Pittsburgh
(+) big-time name in EM with grads all over the place, PD was super nice and is huge leader nationally, the "jeep" gets the award for coolest concept for an EM residency and seems like a great experience, tons of pathology at 4 different sites, great interview interactions, residents were a blast to hang out with, ~25 residents showed up for dinner despite only 3 total applicants, Pittsburgh was a surprisingly cool city
(-) curriculum seemed a bit disorganized to me, weak u/s, peds in 2 week blocks through year, anesthesia has trauma airways at night, UPMC seemed way too academic with seemingly more fellows than pts

6. BIDMC
(+) tough to argue with Harvard name, leaders (Carlo & Peter Rosen, Richard Wolfe) are huge in EM community, both Peter Rosen and Richard Wolf spent extensive time with applicants (one of highlights of interview season), dashboard computer system, strong international opportunities
(-) Thought 7 sites with 2 being an hour away was way too many for residency, Boston is way too expensive

7. William Beaumont
(+) very underrated program and would have been near the top of my list if not on the edge of Detroit, great ICU heavy curriculum, nice people, sold pathology, good u/s program, strong sim, big grad network
(-) Royal Oak is still Detroit to me (biggest factor bringing it down), didn't like the ED

8. Medical College of WI
(+) home program, excellent attendings who are great teachers, super nice PD, trauma run as well as you'll see it anywhere, improving u/s curriculum, obvious resident growth over 3 years of training, pretty good pathology, established program, gorgeous ED
(-) wanted to go somewhere else for the sake of going somewhere else, sim program could be stronger, have both floor medicine and peds floor, want to move from Milwaukee

9. Hennepin
(+) Big time name in emergency medicine for good reason, these guys are total rock stars when it comes to running an ED, 3rd year pit boss role is great prep for attendinghood, awesome u/s program, lots of autonomy since it's a county program, strongest residency in hospital so get to do everything
(-) these guys get totally worked over during residency, obvious fatigue on faces at night before dinner and didn't fit with the culture there, historically have "hennepin" attitude of acting like they know they're the best, very regimented surgical culture with most opportunities going to 2nd and 3rd years. Seemed like you had to wait your time to see the sick pts/do procedures

10. UW Madison
(+) newer program that has the potential to be great, Madison's awesome, gorgeous new ED, young energetic PD who's going to take this program to real heights, black personalized scrubs, pretty good curriculum, strong international opportunities
(-) newer program, very low acuity of pts, spent some time here and it felt like being a an urgent care (however, this was during the day, so I'm sure things were a little bit better at night), city loses a lot of population when college kids go home during summer, lots of fellows coming down to ED

11. Regions
(+) only game in the hospital, ICU heavy curriculum, very nice facilities/benefits, nice residents who seemed well rested compared to the Hennepin folk
(-) instead of PD talking to us in the morning, they put on a DVD of him talking to us about the program (seriously . . . it was kinda weird, almost as if they were trying to be tech savvy, but I took it to mean a lack of interest), seemed like the little brother to Hennepin after interviewing there the day before, didn't like St. Paul that much

12. Grand Rapids
(+) 1st interview, so I don't remember much, really nice people, but way too married for me, nice hospital, decent curriculum, low cost of living, lots of outdoor opportunities, established grad network
(-) didn't really fit with residents or leadership, didn't want to live in grand rapids

13. Brown
(+) fantastic training (thought maybe the best at all the places I looked at), big time u/s program, lots of sick pts, high resident responsibility, nice facilities, strong curriculum, jobs anywhere you want, good benefits, Providence seemed like an ok town
(-) didn't get along with the residents or fellow applicants, didn't really want to do 4 years if possible, would avoid Providence if I could, expensive to live there (for a midwesterner), didn't get great vibes

14. Iowa
(+) Iowa city was really cool with some gorgeous coeds around town, moonlighting opportunities starting 2nd year at $150-175/hr. Ability to stack shifts and take lots of time off, brand new ED
(-) Got into an argument about Brett Favre at the dinner the night before with a resident (I like Favre but pull for the Pack FWIW, but this guy didn't think that was possible), anyway I didn't really think anything of this typical guy sports banter, but this resident sought me out the next day at lunch to restart the fight--I was not impressed, needless to say, overall residents seemed noticeably softer compared to every other place and spent the dinner bragging about how they work less than almost every other gig in the hospital

Last edited:
1. UNC
(+) Very excited about this program. Dr. Biese inspires great confidence and great loyalty. I like the two-hospital model despite the difficulty of driving to both Raleigh and Chapel Hill and I think the WakeMed community experience is valuable. Developing "concentrations" like international medicine, education, research, etc appear strong. Burn center. Exceptional simulation lab at Wake. Medicine and ICU months are specifically tailored to maximize learning and minimize wasted time (in at noon, no rounds). Incredibly friendly, approachable, and fun residents paired with an environment that allows you to take advantage of all that NC has to offer recreationally. Low cost of living (if you don't try to live in the middle of Chapel Hill).
(-) Lacks "county" experience. Not everyone loves NC. 12h shifts as an intern.

2. Duke

(+) Dr. Stahmer. Awesome. Would go to bat for her residents and knows everyone in the business. Off-service rotations are second-to-none and learning cards from Duke Cardiology and Trauma/Ortho from Duke Surgery would be a privilege. The ER is gorgeous, and the ER nurses are phenomenal. Also, has benefit of "concentrations" - PD wants each resident to come away with a "niche" within EM even prior to fellowships. Again, the location is second to none in my opinion. Rock climbing, cycling, hiking, boating... and it might snow twice in all of winter. Again, low cost of living. heterogenous and impressive faculty list (Cinci, UMaryland, etc).
(-) The benefit of the excellence of Duke's "big guns" is countered by EM being the new kid on the block and the conflicts that come with that. EM is a division, not a department.

3. CMC
(+) Research and Reputation. Dr. Hays knows how to package his residents for success, and if one has any inclination toward academic EM this is an unparalleled program. Tried-and-true curriculum that still undergoes modifications when necessary. Very proud residents with interesting histories (Olympic level triathelete, "inventor" of bluetooth...) EM residents are the big dogs in town; sort of opposite of Duke. Again, in NC. Which I like. Low cost of living.
(-) One hospital only. I don't like Charlotte much. Lots of off-service rotations. Somewhat inbred.

4. U of Utah

(+) Obviously, unparalleled recreational opportunities. SLC is amazing. However, the big standout here is the residents. Nowhere else were the residents so accepting, so encouraging, and so... goddamn COOL. At the dinner the night before everyone was wearing Arc'teryx soft shells and Patagonia fleece. They were all healthy and vigorous and looked like they'd just slid off the slopes 20 minutes ago. Exceptional esprit du corps. And they brew their own beer. Professionally: again, a two-hospital setup which I really like, and the facilities are Intermountain are breathtaking. Flight, Ski & Wilderness medicine seem to be huge strong points. HUGE catchment area.
(-) Not a department. New(ish) still. Lower volume? Long winter (relatively).

5. OHSU
(+) Old, reputable, and academically very well respected. I love Portland and the entire Pacific Northwest and if it weren't for other personal factors this might be much higher. The hospital is a trip. Residents were friendly and personable, and like Utah very much in the outdoorsy crunchygranola vein. 2nd most microbrews per capita in the country (Asheville, NC is #1 now). Academic to the point of feeling a little bit... stodgy. Huge trauma catchment area.
(-) Parking. Many sites. Slightly more expensive to live than the above. 220+ days of cloud/drizzle per year.

6. Alameda/Highland
(+) Incredible. Exceptional training, excellent faculty, and a huge amount of autonomy. I would definitely qualify the Bay Area as one of my favorite places in the world, with Berkeley being at the epicenter. Huge service aspect to working here, which I find very attractive. Exceptional reputation, EM docs are "the big guns" in the hospital which might be very nice. Academics are exceptional. Very old facilities. 4 years = more time to develop your knowledge and your "niche"
(-) Expensive to live, trafficky, very crowded. Very VERY county and seems to be a "trial by fire" type place much like Harbor. Didn't click with residents really... 4 years is more than 3 years.

7. UC Davis
(+) Sacramento is underrated, particularly in light of travel distance to the Bay and to Tahoe and other national parks. Residents were approachable and friendly. Again, the two-hospital set-up combining tertiary care with community. Great PD. HUGE amount of trauma.
(-) Sacramento itself is kind of blah. Cheaper than Oakland, but still not cheap. Not much emphasis on research. Very clinical. 12h shifts.

8. Hopkins
(+) Both the current PD and the incoming PD are enthusiastic, insightful, and very impressive people. Got along extremely well with both. Really like the "semi-fellowship" design of the fourth year. Fantastic didactics with inter-faculty discussion & ribbing. Incredible opportunities for research & funding, getting time off to go international, etc.
(-) Baltimore. Ugh.

9. UCLA-Harbor
(+) Holy god granddaddies of cowboy EM in scary LA. Incredible service aspect to training here. Trial by fire, autonomy, do-or-die. Penetrating trauma. If you have to live near LA, then at least you can live in Manhattan Beach or somewhere like that. Huge amounts of badassery and street cred and "yes you can cric someone with a ballpoint pen". Make good friends with your LAFD.
(-) VERY inbred. Too county for me, but some might love it. I could never live in LA again. I wish I were badass enough for this place.

10. Maricopa
(+) Service. Really really needy population. EM residents = very well respected throughout the hospital. Fantastic outdoor recreation.
(-) Phoenix = a baby LA. Ick. 120 degree summers.

11. Vanderbilt
(+) Excellent program with excellent faculty. Very happy and approachable residents.
(-) Nashville.

12. U of Maryland
(+) Shock trauma. Pink scrubs. Focus on training EM leaders and EM educators which I really like. Dr. Mattu is a great speaker and highlights the strengths of the program very well. International opportunities are growing rapidly.
(-) Didn't gel with residents although they seemed friendly enough. Baltimore.

13. Georgetown
(+) Great faculty, exceptional two-hospital system with the Gtown campus fulfilling your crazy "I'm s/p a heart/lung txplant and now I have chest pain" tertiary care needs and WHC for your county experience. Great ultrasound & EMS/Disaster medicine. Fantastic place for EM health policy.
(-) Living in the capital sucks. It's expensive, traffic is miserable, and people are cranky and mostly lawyers.

Last edited:
> Here is my list, I know it is kinda all over the place but that is my
> style.
>
> 1.West Va- Pros Awesome new sim center, cool as heck faculty, residents
> are happy, fun and active. In a great college town, so much to do outdoors
Cons-Fairly low volume (40ish K) at main hospital, cold, snowy, hilly

>
> 2. Corpus Christi- Pros- get to work at rich hospital and poor hospital,
> liked the didactics program, by the ocean, can work on medical spanish Cons- Still a fairly new program, sim center was lacking, non intergrated
> er peds

> 3. MSU-Sparrow (lansing) Pros- New ED, great history, tailor fit
> schedual, college town, work at two great hospitals, cool residents
Cons- Michigan economy, cold, snow
>
> 4. Summa-Akron Pros-I know most don't but I really liked this town. Nice
> ICU, going to open new ED soon, everyone was laid back.
Cons- far from family,

>
> 5. Beumount Pros- huge hospital, great facilities, good PD
Cons-urban setting with low trauma, may be too big of hospital

>
>
> 6. Kalamazoo Pro- ED owns the hospital, great flight program, cool EMS
> rotation, great sim center, good board prep, great PD
Cons- Huge program taking like 20 this year,
>
>
> 7. Louisville Pro/con- if you want independence this is the place for
> you.
Not sure if it will work for me though.
>
>
>
>
> 8. Case University Hospital Pro- great peds
Con-new program, faculty interviews were weird and intense.
>
>
> 9.Shreveport- Pro-Really liked the program, very liveable schedual, brand
> new ED, cool residents
>Con-it is in shreveport
>
> 10. St Lukes pro
> Con in sleepy town,
>
11.LSU-Baton Rouge Pro-college town, fun residents, good ID

Con- on probation, low trauma, ugly hospital, bad traffic
>
> 12.Orlando Pro- new hospital, friendly residents
Con-not great for trauma, tense interview
>
13. Saginaw- Pros faculty wanted to teach and make good residents
Cons- in Saginaw

Also I would like to invite any programs to post their ROL of applicants to this thread...go on ya know you want to.

That would be classic. The interesting thing is I bet most applicants would be happy to have it posted. I know I wouldn't care. I hope to be near the top of some programs and am sure I'll be at the total bottom of others.

"feelingfroggyAlso I would like to invite any programs to post their ROL of applicants to this thread...go on ya know you want to."