anesthesiology salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jok200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering what the average salaries are for anesthesiologists in Canada ?? I am Canadian and want to go home but have heard the salaries are significantly less than in the US.

thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering what the average salaries are for anesthesiologists in Canada ?? I am Canadian and want to go home but have heard the salaries are significantly less than in the US.

thanks-

Yes, A LOT less. ~180k vs 230k...correct me if Im wrong

Wow, you know you want go to into medicine for the right reasons when you decide what country to practice in based off salary.

Really? 180k Vs 230k. Im assuming you will stay US than.

It really saddens me when I hear these kind of concerns because you clearly want to be a doctor for the wrong reasons

yes I sound like an ass, but f*ck it im sick of hearing about kids going into medicine for the money

thanks-

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you know you want go to into medicine for the right reasons when you decide what country to practice in based off salary.

Really? 180k Vs 230k. Im assuming you will stay US than.

It really saddens me when I hear these kind of concerns because you clearly want to be a doctor for the wrong reasons

yes I sound like an ass, but f*ck it im sick of hearing about kids going into medicine for the money

Oh many of us thought the same as you. I still kind of do. But when you start medicine and get to clinics you will start thinking of what is logical and what is not. Rule 1) Do something you like and enjoy Rule 2) Get payed for it. Most physicians put in 70-80 hours a week, that is 2 time a FT job plus 10-15 years of training.

^you mean 'paid'

my friend is a FP resident at Mac...he said that an anesthesia doc is pulling anywhere between 500-700 K in the GTA...coz anesthesia in canada is a 5 yr residency which includes CCM, and they dont have any CRNAs...so they do all the cases themselves, manage ICUs, and do over all pre-operative medicine...and they do pain as well...

180-230 seems ridiculous...even FP docs make more than that :)

with that said, does anyone know the process of practicing anesthesia after a residency in U.S.?

Anesthesia residency in Canada does not include CCM. If you want to do CCM, then you must do a fellowship on top. It is possible to combine anesthesia residency with a CCM fellowship and finish in 6 years.

Anesthesia in Canada does not make 500-750K a year. The only way to do that if you do CCM or, CSICU, or high risk anesthesia only. On average the Canadian anesthesiologists make around ~350K a year. Now in the GTA area, most docs have a fellowship and do something on top which could be why they are paid more.

Since anesthesia in Canada if 5 years long, you cannot be Royal College certified unless you do an extra year. This extra year could be done as part of your fellowship. Best to check with the college.