Physical Therapist to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s1ya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I have been procrastinating about posting (I have always been a silent observer) but seeing some of the valuable help, really makes me want to THANK YOU all for making newbies like me feel comfortable enough to express a thought. :)

So here goes : I am 29 and a practicing Physical Therapist (past 3 years), I have a post professional MPT degree (GPA 4.0) and an undergraduate degree in Physical Therapy (GPA 3.5/4.0). However, I dream of becoming an MD someday. How should I start?

1. I understand that I need to give the MCAT exam - by early October, to be able to apply to schools in Aug of the following year. My question is - Should I just start hitting the prep materials ?

2. Since many schools require some pre-requisite classes - most of which I have completed - except for a few math and english classes - Do you think I should complete the pre-req classes (Im thinking a local CC) first and then go for the MCAT?

3. Since the pre-req requirements vary from one school to another - is there a minimum set that I should be targetting? I am fairly open to relocating. I am Kansas City, MO.

4. What advice can you give someone like me, to get into a med school? Are there professional advisors - who guide someone on how to get into a med school? Since I am not in high school or go to college currently, there are no advisors (except you :oops:) that I can lean on?

Oh, did I also mention, I am pregnant (5 months) and work full time. I plan to be working (at least 30 hrs) + taking care of the baby + studying for anything I need to, in order to achieve my dream.

Cheers!
S

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friends,

I have been procrastinating about posting (I have always been a silent observer) but seeing some of the valuable help, really makes me want to THANK YOU all for making newbies like me feel comfortable enough to express a thought. :)

So here goes : I am 29 and a practicing Physical Therapist (past 3 years), I have a post professional MPT degree (GPA 4.0) and an undergraduate degree in Physical Therapy (GPA 3.5/4.0). However, I dream of becoming an MD someday. How should I start?

1. I understand that I need to give the MCAT exam - by early October, to be able to apply to schools in Aug of the following year. My question is - Should I just start hitting the prep materials ?

2. Since many schools require some pre-requisite classes - most of which I have completed - except for a few math and english classes - Do you think I should complete the pre-req classes (Im thinking a local CC) first and then go for the MCAT?

3. Since the pre-req requirements vary from one school to another - is there a minimum set that I should be targetting? I am fairly open to relocating. I am Kansas City, MO.

4. What advice can you give someone like me, to get into a med school? Are there professional advisors - who guide someone on how to get into a med school? Since I am not in high school or go to college currently, there are no advisors (except you :oops:) that I can lean on?

Oh, did I also mention, I am pregnant (5 months) and work full time. I plan to be working (at least 30 hrs) + taking care of the baby + studying for anything I need to, in order to achieve my dream.

Cheers!
S

Why would you want to go to medical school now? You'll be poor and in debt forever with your children. Don't you realize that obamacare will cut salaries by 21% and leave you unable to pay off any student loans after going to medical school.

Seriously - reconsider your future path. If you're doing it for the money, you will be sorely dissapointed if you're salary gets capped to $100,000 and you owe $200,000 in student loans.

Hi S:

If you can do all the studying and working in med school, have at, but I am not sure how feasable it is. It sounds like you have a lot going on. I hope that you are well prepared for it. I don't have children, so I can only imagine what it must be like.

I wish you luck in your dream, I think it's possible, but perhaps someone else who has children and a job can chime in. I think you are very brave and a superhero if you can! I am struggling with under grad right now, and that is tough enough. Having a child while in school is a scary thought too me. Good Luck I do believe it is possible, and I support your dream. Often when we are tested to our max is when we shine the most. I'd go through a little MCAT review course, or get some of the review materials, make sure you have all the pre-reqa and go for it.

A

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello friends,

Cheers!
S

It's very unlikely that you'll be able to work 30 hours per week while in medical school, if that's what you mean.

Thank you soo much guys! Yeah, I realise it will be tough - especially with the baby - I dont anticipate to work 30 hrs while in school. I wanted your thoughts and opinion if I would be able to carry a full time work load alongwith the studies for MCAT.

BTW - Do you guys know of a company that offers advisory services someone who could guide you on the possible options to med school?

(I am not in for the money, just a sense of achieving something you always wished for - plus it would be cool for mom and baby to be going to school at the same time :)

I was a PT prior to going back to med school. In my opinion you don't need an adviser. I went to my undergrad and met with a med school adviser and they were pretty crappy, I felt like I knew more from reading than they did. They were also pretty discouraging saying it would be difficult because my pre-reqs were nearly 10 yrs old. Needles to say I had plenty of interviews and was accepted at my school of choice. Get yourself a copy of the MSAR (I think that is the name) and read and go online. Most schools at least when I applied had the same standard requirements. I also worked full time (60 hrs a wk) and took Ochem and studied for the MCAT. I also worked about 20 hrs a week the first two years of med school. With a new child it will be a little harder, doable but hard, might want to wait a year. Let me know if you have questions. Good luck.

SKialta

Hello friends,

Cheers!
S

1. You definitely want to leave yourself at least 3 months to study for the MCAT. In addition to whatever books you buy, I highly recommend the Kaplan online content. They have many practice tests and practice questions. The classroom course was instrumental in rasing my score 7 points, but I think it was mostly the online stuff that helped me.

2. I think you should complete the pre-reqs before the MCAT. The English class may help to hone your verbal reasoning and writing skills. You also want to have bio, organic chem and physics done. If you haven't taken biochem, you'll need to study it independently for the MCAT (also there isn't a TON of biochem on the test, just some). It isn't a pre-req at most institutions.

3. The pre-reqs don't vary much. Look up a few schools you'd like to attend and read their admissions requirements.

4. There should be an advisor for pre-health students at any college or university. SDN is full of advisors, too. To start forming a solid plan, read the FAQs and What Are My Chances forums.

Cheers!
S

1.) I didn't take my MCAT on that timeline. I dont think you need to have it done by October of the year prior to applying. I took mine in April of the application year. Now there are considerations if you want to retake after getting your scores, before applying ,etc. I only took it once (with what SDN would consider a terrible score) and had 3 MD acceptances. Go figure. You should start hitting prep material if you have taken the pre-reqs for MCAT. You dont need biochem as was suggested, but you do need both physics, gen chem, gen bio, o chems. Also, look into the old tests online, they helped me when studying. I didn't do any prep classes, or study groups. All my own time studying. It can be done.

2.) It might be helpful to complete the pre-reqs and then do MCAT as it could get you back in the swing of studying etc, but its certainly not a must. (as long as we are talking about english, etc) Also, most of my pre-reqs were from CC so dont let anyone tell you med schools look down on it.

3.) As has been said, most schools are very similar in pre-reqs +/- one class or so. Just check out the websites (or call) the schools you are really interested in and make yourself a list. On a side note I would advise applying early and broadly.

4.) I too would advise against professional advisors. not that they couldn't be helpful but to me (just my own personal experience) its a waste in capital (time and money at this point) because everything can be done by yourself, which is exactly what I did. When I went back to ugrad to get ready to apply, my school didn't even have a pre-med committee or anything. I did every part of the entire process myself. It can be done.

PS: I worked full time (or close to it) through every part of ugrad, MCAT, application, interviews, etc. I also took full loads through summers and was taking three upper level science pre-reqs, working, and trying to study for MCAT. Oh and spending time with my wife. (admittedly I didn't get the score I was hoping for, but it was enough) Its tough and those who haven't been through it can see it as daunting, but its doable (not that its not daunting :)). I just looked at each step as what my life was at that moment and enjoyed it. You will be fine, even with a child, you can do it. I dont know if your married or have a significant other to help, but even without, you can do it.

My situation sounds very much like yours (aside from the female and pregnant parts) at least in the "going it alone" sense. I did fine, you will too. Good luck! Keep us updated and welcome to the boards. I would be happy to answer any questions via PM if you need.

PS: Something that hasn't really been mentioned and will not be as important for someone with your application, but important nonetheless is volunteer and shadowing. While you have clinical experience I would advise to get some clinical experience with physicians. I had lots of clinical experience but still needed physician shadowing etc. Also some community service type volunteer would be nice on your app. With your story you dont need to go overboard, but it would certainly help to have some.

Why would you want to go to medical school now? You'll be poor and in debt forever with your children. Don't you realize that obamacare will cut salaries by 21% and leave you unable to pay off any student loans after going to medical school.

Seriously - reconsider your future path. If you're doing it for the money, you will be sorely dissapointed if you're salary gets capped to $100,000 and you owe $200,000 in student loans.

We should ban this troll. What a joke. Take this crap to another thread.

Thank you so much guys. This definitely gives me a lot of strength and a better sense of direction. I am planning to buy the MSAR right away. Which books/study material should I stack up in my study bank?

I think it is wise to use this board to research all of your questions including the MCAT study materials. There is a search function, and many of the questions you ask are answered somewhere on this forum.

I wish I had found this and realized the quality at an earlier stage in my app process.

m.

Thank you so much guys. This definitely gives me a lot of strength and a better sense of direction. I am planning to buy the MSAR right away. Which books/study material should I stack up in my study bank?

I would recommend examkrackers MCAT and the online AAMC test (despite being a little outdated). They are the best predictors of your MCAT score. Do not buy the Kaplan Review ~ my own experience was that it is sorely out of date and the scores do not correlate with your MCAT score as well as AAMC.

Also, I have heard very good reviews of an MCAT Prep book released by AAMC recently. My sister (taken the MCAT 2x w/ 2nd score being 35) has it and said it is a very good resource as compared to Kaplan. A good supplement to examkracker and your own notes from undergrad if you have any.