DAT finally DONE 5/10/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfoksn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from the DAT testing center, and I would like to share my scores with you!

I did better than I expected, I was going for 25AA :)

PA: 28 (100)
QR: 23 (97.1) Could have done much better, I was just so tired at the end :(
RC: 28 (99.8)
BS: 29 (99.9) I shoulda gotten 30!! I didn't miss anything :p
GC: 30 (100)
OC: 23 (94.3) WTF! This is my strongest section.
TS: 28 (99.9)
AA: 27 (100)

Guys, don't be afraid of DAT sciences.
They are super basic, and I had time to check them over 3 times for GC and Bio, and 2 times for OC.

Nothing surprising, there were oddball questions in Bio, but I used logic to eliminate all of the answer choices. They are straight forward.

RC, I got Piano passage, and it ISN'T hard, as you can see from my score. I am an Anthropology major, and I do read a lot, so maybe it helped.
I am also NOT native English speaker, I came to US about 6 years ago. So now you see how easy Piano passage actually is!

I will answer questions regarding the tests if you have any :)

Thank you for everyone who answered my questions!

My dream school is Columbia. I have 3.90 GPA and 3.95 sGPA, do you think I would have a good chance?

Study techniques:

I studied over.. I am not sure. I think 5 months, but I didn't actually start until 2 months before. Other 3 months, I probably studied once every week, so it didn't do much. Last 2 months, though, I studied 8-10 hours a day. I only ate, went to bathroom, slept, and studied.

Some people have been asking question if I had school or work, in fact, yes I did.. I am taking 17 quarter unit (4 classes, one of them upper division writing course.. so time consuming) and also research 15 hours a week. I still found time to do everything, so it definitely is possible to study while taking full course load/work :)

It took a big toll in my health, I lost over 40 lbs in course of 2 months of studying. I was sleep deprived, and I stopped going to the gym completely. Before I started studying, I was 220 lbs bench pressing 315, but when I went to the gym today, I was weighing merely 175 lbs and I could barely do full rep of 225 lb.

People also have been asking me how I studied with all the classes and all. This has been my schedule for the past 2 months:

So I have class everyday from 8AM to 1PM or 2PM.

I get up at 7AM, get ready for classes, go to class from 8AM to 1 or 2PM, then I would go to my research lab until 4PM or 5PM. So around 3 hours of research. I can go collect research data whenever I want (I have the key to the laboratory and I do independent work) so sometimes I do it later at night, after my studying. But typically, at 4/5PM, when I am done with researching for the day, I would go eat Panda Express (I never went back to my apartment, it's too noisy :p), then I would stay in my research office until 1-2AM or so studying :) My office is very quiet, and everything is there for me.

Like I said, it took a big toll on my health! Don't study like me.

QR: I went through MATH destroyer once. I didn't miss much in it and people said it was good enough so I just stuck with reviewing it once. I swear I could have done much better in QR, I just got really tired and my hands started shaking. It is very easy. I think the actual DAT may be a little more time consuming than MATH destroyer, because it definitely had more word problems.

PA: I ended up not finishing CDP Ace version, I still had last test undone :p My score for test 1 was 23, score for test 9 was 28. So CDP is around there with difficulty, although I think CDP is harder. Angles aren't as bad as they say, I don't think I missed any on the angle section, but in the key holes... There were some keyhole questions that seemed like they had multiple answers. I finished this section with 20 minutes to go, and had time to check over everything once again and recount all the cubes and all. I think the hole punch question is the only thing I missed.

RC: Did not study for this, I read 60 pages a day of detailed articles in my anthro classes.. I got to the level where I can skim through passage retaining quite a bit. I finished this section 20 minutes early, even with the Piano passage. Piano passage is just overrated, don't worry about it! Yes it has a lot of inference questions, but they are not meant to be hard. My strategy for this section is, I just read through the exhibit as I would read through any other article, until I find the clue about the first question. If the answer to the first question is inference, I would just read everything through first. Once I read through, it's very easy to answer general "which is true EXCEPT" questions, and it's really easy to go back to the article for detailed based questions since you would remember where the topic was discussed. If you stay calm and read stress-free, I think everyone can do well on this section.

Bio: Went through cliff's.. I don't know how many times, I think I read through them every day, and every 2 days I would recycle. Yes, I memorized cliff's back and forth! I also did Destroyer 2 times. Most of my studying for bio was just reading, I read Campbell's thick bio book every day 200 pages a day. I guess that helps with RC too! So read Campbell's :p It will help you in Bio and RC.

GC: Destroyer 2 times, nothing more... GC is very straight forward, no tricks at all. I think GC is on par with TopScore, and a little easier than Achiever. There are some tricky questions to get you to fall into the trap, just make sue you go over it fast in the first time so you have time to do it once more after.

OC: Destroyer 2 times, I also did all the questions in my chem book chapters... I thought I would definitely do better in this section, I thought this was my strongest section.. I wonder what I missed. There were some questions that I had never seen before, but OC is very much based on logic so I wasn't worried too much about them. I think the difficulty is around the same with TopScore, a little easier than Achiever.

Let me know if you have any questions :) Feel free to PM me

Due to requests, I've decided to upload an image file of the score report.

Sorry for the phone camera :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

OMG AA: 27 (100) :eek::eek::eek:

So I just got back from the DAT testing center, and I would like to share my scores with you!

They are super basic, and I had time to check them over 3 times for GC and Bio, and 2 times for OC.

Nothing surprising, there were oddball questions in Bio, but I used logic to eliminate all of the answer choices. They are straight forward.

RC, I got Piano passage, and it ISN'T hard, as you can see from my score. I am an Anthropology major, and I do read a lot, so maybe it helped.

My dream school is Columbia. I have 3.85 GPA and 3.9 sGPA, do you think I would have a good chance?

YOU KILLED IT!!!!!!.... Amazing scores!!!... Breakdown please on what you used to study and how long you studied.. Thanks... AMAZING!!... I'm pretty sure you can get into any school you would like!! Even Columbia!

Members don't see this ad :)

This is amazing, major congrats! With your GPA and DAT scores, you should be able to get into any dental school you desire...they will be fighting over you! :thumbup:

Question--> spritezhang just posted his DAT done post, he also took the exam today, so I'm assuming you two had the same exam...he said that for Bio, there were NOT any questions that could have been answered based or Kaplan OR Cliffs Bio [according to him]. Of course I can see that you got perfect on Bio, but would you agree with him that Kaplan and Cliff's were useless for Bio? This is the first time I have seen anyone say this. I realize that Destroyer is more intensive and random, but others have talked highly about Cliff's especially. Thanks!

My dream school is Columbia. I have 3.85 GPA and 3.9 sGPA, do you think I would have a good chance?

This is amazing, major congrats! With your GPA and DAT scores, you should be able to get into any dental school you desire...they will be fighting over you! :thumbup:

Question--> spritezhang just posted his DAT done post, he also took the exam today, so I'm assuming you two had the same exam...he said that for Bio, there were NOT any questions that could have been answered based or Kaplan OR Cliffs Bio [according to him]. Of course I can see that you got perfect on Bio, but would you agree with him that Kaplan and Cliff's were useless for Bio? This is the first time I have seen anyone say this. I realize that Destroyer is more intensive and random, but others have talked highly about Cliff's especially. Thanks!

I don't think we had the same test. I think everyone gets different test. I am guessing this because there were lots of people around me taking the DAT as well, and their screens did not look familiar to me. Of course I didn't stay and stare at their answers lol

I think the questions may be completely randomized!

I used Cliff's but Cliff's won't cut it for Bio... I read the Campbell's biology book through once, and took notes on everything that I wasn't sure about, and wikipedia-ed all the things that I thought Campbell didn't describe in detail.

I completely over studied for Bio.. I think I would have been fine with just Cliff's :p

you are my hero and its scores like these that make me want to study even harder... so please... detailed breakdown on everything... what you studied, how many hours a day, how many weeks of study? What did you use for math, chem and ochem... My bio is very strong so im confident but I would like to know your sources. how you studied as well... example: went through destroyer three times

Wow very well done! I know you've been putting in a lot of effort, I've seen a ton of your threads asking for clarifications and whatnot...so happy for you that your hard work paid off! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, everyone has different test, mine is extramly hard, especially bio part, 90% are not from kaplan or cliffap.
You can go any school you want for sure. Congra!

AMAZZZING SCORES!!! Congrats!! Btw, did you use Chads videos by any chance? If so, how helpful were they?

I am also NOT native English speaker, I came to US about 6 years ago. So now you see how easy Piano passage actually is!

My dream school is Columbia. I have 3.85 GPA and 3.9 sGPA, do you think I would have a good chance? Absolutely not. I'd retake for that 23 QR if I were you.

Study techniques:

I studied over.. I am not sure. I think 5 months, but I didn't actually start until 2 months before. Other 3 months, I probably studied once every week, so it didn't do much. Last 2 months, though, I studied 8-10 hours a day. I only ate, went to bathroom, slept, and studied.

QR: I went through MATH destroyer once. I didn't miss much in it and people said it was good enough so I just stuck with reviewing it once. I swear I could have done much better in QR, I just got really tired and my hands started shaking. It is very easy.

PA: I ended up not finishing CDP Ace version, I still had last test undone :p My score for test 1 was 23, score for test 9 was 28. So CDP is around there with difficulty, although I think CDP is harder. Angles aren't as bad as they say, I don't think I missed any on the angle section, but in the key holes... There were some keyhole questions that seemed like they had multiple answers.

RC: Did not study for this, I read 60 pages a day of detailed articles in my anthro classes.. I got to the level where I can skim through passage retaining quite a bit. I finished this section 20 minutes early, even with Piano passage. Piano passage is just overrated, don't worry about it!

Bio: Went through cliff's.. I don't know how many times, I think I read through them every day, and every 2 days I would recycle. Yes, I memorized cliff's back and forth! I also did Destroyer 2 times. Most of my studying for bio was just reading, I read Campbell's thick bio book every day 200 pages a day. I guess that helps with RC too! So read Campbell's :p It will help you in Bio and RC.

GC: Destroyer 2 times, nothing more... GC is very straight forward, no tricks at all.

OC: Destroyer 2 times, I also did all the questions in my chem book chapters... I thought I would definitely do better in this section, I thought this was my strongest section.. I wonder what I missed.

:p

....mother****er...

KIDDING!

you did great congrats, ive got two weeks to go myself? just patching up my qr skills

Dude this is just insane. Congratulations!

I don't get it. How can you read 200 pages of Campbell each day? How many weeks did you study for bio? Please send us your detailed study plan. That would help alot.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Dude this is just insane. Congratulations!

I don't get it. How can you read 200 pages of Campbell each day? How many weeks did you study for bio? Please send us your detailed study plan. That would help alot.

Campbell is hard to read at first, but you pick up speed rapidly! I guess what I did was not actual word to word reading, but detailed skimming. I focused on the italicized and bolded words, and read up on the context of the words as well.

Like ucladds101 suggested as well, WIKIPEDIA IS YOUR SAVIOR! I used wikipedia very often.

First week I was reading Campbell, I felt like giving up, but it rapidly became one of the study activities I enjoyed the most in my daily study routine.

Helps you with RC as well :)

Last edited:
well done, congrats
now there is someone who could possibly compete with uclaDDS101:xf:

Study techniques:

Some people have been asking question if I had school or work, in fact, yes I did.. I am taking 17 quarter unit (4 classes, one of them upper division writing course.. so time consuming) and also research 15 hours a week. I still found time to do everything, so it definitely is possible to study while taking full course load/work :)

It took a big toll in my health, I lost over 40 lbs in course of 2 months of studying. I was sleep deprived, and I stopped going to the gym completely. Before I started studying, I was 220 lbs bench pressing 315, but when I went to the gym today, I was weighing merely 175 lbs and I could barely do full rep of 225 lb.

QR: I went through MATH destroyer once. I didn't miss much in it and people said it was good enough so I just stuck with reviewing it once. I swear I could have done much better in QR, I just got really tired and my hands started shaking. It is very easy.

PA: I ended up not finishing CDP Ace version, I still had last test undone :p My score for test 1 was 23, score for test 9 was 28. So CDP is around there with difficulty, although I think CDP is harder. Angles aren't as bad as they say, I don't think I missed any on the angle section, but in the key holes... There were some keyhole questions that seemed like they had multiple answers.

RC: Did not study for this, I read 60 pages a day of detailed articles in my anthro classes.. I got to the level where I can skim through passage retaining quite a bit. I finished this section 20 minutes early, even with Piano passage. Piano passage is just overrated, don't worry about it!

GC: Destroyer 2 times, nothing more... GC is very straight forward, no tricks at all.

OC: Destroyer 2 times, I also did all the questions in my chem book chapters... I thought I would definitely do better in this section, I thought this was my strongest section.. I wonder what I missed.

when did you study for your actual classes? And that was a seriously crazy bench you had there lol

Holy crap!! That is just incredible (but credible same time because of the amount of work you put into this test). As far as I know, you're in at any school you apply to. Congrats! Celebrate. You deserve it.

when did you study for your actual classes? And that was a seriously crazy bench you had there lol

Haha.. I think at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the studying time was dedicated to my actual classes. I am taking a physiological sciences upper div, cell biology upper div, an anthro upper div, and a horrifying english composition upper div...

The english comp class is definitely taking a lot of my time, I got unlucky with the teacher and she makes us write tons of papers and grades hard. I already wrote 2 essays, 7 page essay and a 12 page essay.. Our last paper is 15 pages minimum :(

Yeah, I love working out! I used to hit the gym everyday rotating muscle groups :)

you are my hero. Can I ask for some advice?

Ok. So I plan on taking the DAT before the Fall semester begins in August (somewhere between 10-12 weeks away). I am signed up for the Kaplan course that starts June 6th. The problem I am experiencing is that i dont know where to begin studying! Truthfully, i was counting on the Kaplan to give me some good study guidelines. So, I have approx 1 month before the course begins. I have Crack DAT, Cliff's AP Bio, and DAT destroyer on the way as well as the Kaplan large review notes and lesson book. I do have a good science background (All A's) but it doesnt mean i know it all!

Where should I begin?

Are there any another materials that I should purchase that would be beneficial?

Thank You!!!!

you are my hero. Can I ask for some advice?

Ok. So I plan on taking the DAT before the Fall semester begins in August (somewhere between 10-12 weeks away). I am signed up for the Kaplan course that starts June 6th. The problem I am experiencing is that i dont know where to begin studying! Truthfully, i was counting on the Kaplan to give me some good study guidelines. So, I have approx 1 month before the course begins. I have Crack DAT, Cliff's AP Bio, and DAT destroyer on the way as well as the Kaplan large review notes and lesson book. I do have a good science background (All A's) but it doesnt mean i know it all!

Where should I begin?

Are there any another materials that I should purchase that would be beneficial?

Thank You!!!!

Trevnichols22,

If you have all A's, you should be completely fine! DAT is tested at much lower level than any of the science classes that I had taken in the past.

If you have gotten all A's, then you should have no problem.

Your study materials look good, one thing I would add is Campbell's Biology book. I read it over few times, and I think it helped me greatly with both Bio and RC.

I never took Kaplan course, because I felt like it was waste of money. 1200 dollars was a little too much for me.

I think, if you have such good science background, Kaplan course may not be necessary! Try to self-study with your study material, and see how you do on the Achiever/TopScore :) You will be surprised at how well you are going to do.

Good luck.

Reading the entire Campbell's book will review all the information covered on the actual DAT test.

Someone told me some anatomy questions were on their DAT biology section. That does not make any sense to me. Did you find that on your test.

For the perceptual test did you ever use the Barron's or CliffsDAT review book (Accurate, similar?) What review book did you use?

Any techniques for the orthographic projections other than visualizing and counting lines.

Also are the angle ranking more difficult than those in Barron or any other DAT prep book. I heard than can be difficult.

Thanks for the response.

when you read Campbell's, did you have the test topics next to you or did you just read anything and everything?

Thank GOD and all that's holy you're not aiming for Texas schools :p. Good job, now pack them pounds back on!

Congrats! Thats jaw dropping scores! Would you mind taking the DATs for me? jk
You will get into Columbia hands down (as long as you dont screw your interview!) Good Luck! :)

Reading the entire Campbell's book will review all the information covered on the actual DAT test.

Someone told me some anatomy questions were on their DAT biology section. That does not make any sense to me. Did you find that on your test.

For the perceptual test did you ever use the Barron's or CliffsDAT review book (Accurate, similar?) What review book did you use?

Any techniques for the orthographic projections other than visualizing and counting lines.

Also are the angle ranking more difficult than those in Barron or any other DAT prep book. I heard than can be difficult.

Thanks for the response.

I did not use Barron's, but I used the CliffsDAT review.

CliffsDAT was a very basic book. It probably is the best book to use as the first study material.

Orthographic projections, I've always had pretty good perceptual abilities. I started with a 23 on CDP.

I don't use counting the line, however I try to visualize the whole structure. I feel that it is much more accurate.

If I am unable to do so, then I resort to the line counting or comparing details of the drawings.

Angle ranking is not hard as people say, I think around same difficulty as CDP. Cliffs DAT pat section was way too easy. I don't think I missed any on the angles section, but in the key holes section (I thought some questions had multiple possible answers). I don't have a tip for the angle ranking, per se... I think if you keep practicing, you can tell difference between few degrees with ease. Just keep practicing, is all I can tell you.

And yes, there were anatomy questions. 2 of them. It may have not been from Campbell's I do not remember, but I do remember studying them somewhere.

when you read Campbell's, did you have the test topics next to you or did you just read anything and everything?

Randy,

I didn't have any topics next to me.. There are test topics outlined? I read everything, I figured that it would help me in long run also.. So I just read everything. It helped me in multiple sections, like RC.

CliffsDAT PAT section was too easy you found.
Were the orthographic projections too easy in the CliffsDAT?
What is CDP?
What were the two anatomy questions about?

sfoksn would you say dat destroyer general chemistry is a lot harder than the actual DAT or almost similar? I'm doing it now and I get most of the questions right. It does not seem too bad.

Also, when doing destroyer general chem, did you use mental math to solve the calculation problems or a calculator? I'm guessing you didn't use a calculator...
It is a pain to divide decimals for me though. Or taking the square root of like 6 x 10 ^-5 when doing acid/base problems. Am I supposed to be able to do that for the real DAT or will it be set up as sqrt(6x10^-5)? I don't really know how to estimate that.

sfoksn would you say dat destroyer general chemistry is a lot harder than the actual DAT or almost similar? I'm doing it now and I get most of the questions right. It does not seem too bad.

Also, when doing destroyer general chem, did you use mental math to solve the calculation problems or a calculator? I'm guessing you didn't use a calculator...
It is a pain to divide decimals for me though. Or taking the square root of like 6 x 10 ^-5 when doing acid/base problems. Am I supposed to be able to do that for the real DAT or will it be set up as sqrt(6x10^-5)? I don't really know how to estimate that.

Square Root - When finding the square root of a number expressed in Scientific Notation, it is necessary to write the number with an even power of 10, since the exponent of the square root of a number is one-half the exponent of the original number.
For Example:
31. Find the square root of 6 x 10^5.

1. Step 1 - If necessary, rewrite the number with an even power of 10 by moving the decimal one place to the right, and decreasing the exponent by one.
    6 x 10^5 = 6.0 x 10^4​
    Step 2 - Find the square root of the decimal number and divide the exponent by 2 to get the answer.

So you take the square root of 6x10^4 and get approximately 2.5x10^2 (I got the 2.5 because sqrt4 is 2 and sqrt 9 is 3 so sqrt of 6 is somewhere between 2 and 3 so I guesstimated 2.5. I got the 10^2 because all you have to do is half the original exponent which in this case was 4.

Hope this helps you! :) Btw sorry for sticking my nose and answering your question that wasnt even directed to me, i just always had trouble with the sqr roots so I thought to help when I saw it!

Last edited:

Hello, Undergradguy, you helped me tremendously with my questions when I was confused! If anything, you would probably score higher than me so DON'T WORRY. :D

I think GC section was pretty similar with the DAT Destroyer. But on real DAT, there were much more conceptual based questions, asking for the reasons behind phenomena. I would say half of them were just number crunching, but other half were all conceptual based.

Refer to UCB's post for your sq root question :)

Last edited:
Square Root - When finding the square root of a number expressed in Scientific Notation, it is necessary to write the number with an even power of 10, since the exponent of the square root of a number is one-half the exponent of the original number.
For Example:
31. Find the square root of 6 x 10^5.

1. Step 1 - If necessary, rewrite the number with an even power of 10 by moving the decimal one place to the right, and decreasing the exponent by one.
    6 x 10^5 = 6.0 x 10^4​
    Step 2 - Find the square root of the decimal number and divide the exponent by 2 to get the answer.

So you take the square root of 6x10^4 and get approximately 2.5x10^2 (I got the 2.5 because sqrt4 is 2 and sqrt 9 is 3 so sqrt of 6 is somewhere between 2 and 3 so I guesstimated 2.5. I got the 10^2 because all you have to do is half the original exponent which in this case was 4.

Hope this helps you! :) Btw sorry for sticking my nose and answering your question that wasnt even directed to me, i just always had trouble with the sqr roots so I thought to help when I saw it!

Ouch. So... first of all, keep your signs consistent. Through all your work you neglected to put in the "-" in the exponential. Undergrad's example was 6x10^-5. Second, when you do increase or reduce the power, make sure you actually move the decimal in the constant along with it. 6 x 10^5 is not equal to 6.0 x 10^4

6x10^-5 = 60 x 10^-6 = 7.6ish x 10^-3

6 x 10^5 = 60 x 10^4 = 7.6ish x 10^2

Ouch. So... first of all, keep your signs consistent. Through all your work you neglected to put in the "-" in the exponential. Undergrad's example was 6x10^-5. Second, when you do increase or reduce the power, make sure you actually move the decimal in the constant along with it. 6 x 10^5 is not equal to 6.0 x 10^4

6x10^-5 = 60 x 10^-6 = 7.6ish x 10^-3

6 x 10^5 = 60 x 10^4 = 7.6ish x 10^2

UCB always so helpful :)

Great job, but this is kind of irritating...your AA is 100%, and you just had to add the little side comments about how much better you could have done in so-and-so sections? If I were getting ready to take the DAT, your post would only worry me more. Just sayin'...

Great job, but this is kind of irritating...your AA is 100%, and you just had to add the little side comments about how much better you could have done in so-and-so sections? If I were getting ready to take the DAT, your post would only worry me more. Just sayin'...

I'm sorry, I didn't have any intentions like that. I was just a little bit disappointed because OC and QR were one of my strongest sections in my practice tests...

As long as you study for the DAT, you should be fine :) DAT is nothing to be afraid of.

Good luck.

doesn't worry me at all... it does the opposite, inspires me to wreck house, im about to head to the library now actually.

Thank you it was so nice of you to post a reply.

I am encouraged to know that with my strong SGPA that i should do well on the DAT. I am planning on taking it Aug. 14th So that gives me about 90 days study time. I am not hitting it too hard yet, I dont want to burn out I am just studying a few hours a day as for now.

You mentioned Achiever and Topscore. Do you recommend that I purchase these items then?

I am worried about the math! It has been too long and I am worried I will need to know crazy formulas. I pray I get an easy math section. Haha

I really appreciate any info that you can give me. my email is [email protected]

My goal is a 22