2010-2011 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Educational History

1. Did you go on to college directly after high school? If no, please explain (1400 character limit)

2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work? If no, please explain (1400 character limit)

3. If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 character limit)

4. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

Optional Section

Most applicants apply to many medical schools and we are aware that the cumulative work of the application process is substantial. Furthermore, we have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. We, therefore, do not require a supplemental essay.

While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, up to a total of 3000 characters (approximately 500 words), addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this supplemental application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.

Use this optional section only if you believe that the additional information will help us to learn something about you as a person, to get a sense of who you are and what you are about, beyond the basic facts of your academic work and your life history as it is otherwise available to us.

Please be assured that we offer this opportunity only for those applicants who wish to provide additional information and that it is entirely optional. For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

This section may also be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I was looking at last year's secondary app.. Two of the questions were:
1. Did you go on to college directly after high school? If no, please explain: (1400 character limit)
2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work? If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. If no, please explain: (1400 character limit)

Would "Yes" and "Yes" suffice as answers, or do they expect an explanation either way?

Would "Yes" and "Yes" suffice as answers, or do they expect an explanation either way?

I wouldn't over think it. That should be fine. Call them if you want a specific answer if the prompts are the same this year.

Follow directions!!!

It says IF NO, then explain. So that means IF YES do not explain!!!

Geez, it's gonna be a long app season for some of you.

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck this application cycle! Get those primaries and secondaries in as early as possible. An early interview makes a big difference at this school.

woah.. a little harsh, guy.

Perhaps. But . . .

Question: Did you go directly from high school to college? If no, please explain

Answer: Yes. Well, I wanted to travel for a year, maybe backpack around Europe. But my Dad was against it. My Mom thought it was a good idea because it would help me grow up. But Dad put his foot down. He said, "The road to med school is a long one, you better get started." (Given my idiotic answer to this question, maybe my Mom was right after all.)

Perhaps. But . . .

Question: Did you go directly from high school to college? If no, please explain

Answer: Yes. Well, I wanted to travel for a year, maybe backpack around Europe. But my Dad was against it. My Mom thought it was a good idea because it would help me grow up. But Dad put his foot down. He said, "The road to med school is a long one, you better get started." (Given my idiotic answer to this question, maybe my Mom was right after all.)

haha you've lost me.

2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work? If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. If no, please explain: (1400 character limit)

With respect to this question, I am confused by the wording of the last phrase...Does it mean "please explain if you did NOT spend more than four years as an undergraduate or please explain if you are NOT expecting to go to med school directly after completing your undergraduate work?"

I'm probably having a brain fart and being stupid, but I'm reading it as the former, since that phrase about spending more than four years as an undergraduate directly precedes the "if no" portion...Although logically, it probably is referring to the "are you expecting to go to med school directly.."

Members don't see this ad :)

With respect to this question, I am confused by the wording of the last phrase...Does it mean "please explain if you did NOT spend more than four years as an undergraduate or please explain if you are NOT expecting to go to med school directly after completing your undergraduate work?"

I'm probably having a brain fart and being stupid, but I'm reading it as the former, since that phrase about spending more than four years as an undergraduate directly precedes the "if no" portion...Although logically, it probably is referring to the "are you expecting to go to med school directly.."

I think it means that if you're in either situation, explain in details. If you plan to go straight to med school after undergrad, say yes. If you didn't go straight to med school after undergrad, say no to the first part and explain. If you took or will take longer than 4 years to finish undergrad, state so and explain.

That's how I treated the question and wrote my "essay" based on that. So, basically, if you fall in either category, just explain.

No offence, but could they have been any more confusing in the wording? Granted, I could be saying that simply because most other schools say "If you ________, please explain below." end of story..only explain if it's situation X.

*sigh, we'll see what happens this year*

For the second part of the secondary, I actually plan on joining the Peace Corps with the hope of getting a deferment. (I already asked the school and they told me they'll take a look at my written request and think about it)

It seems like most schools aren't very happy with deferrals so I was going to keep it on the downlow and then ask for a deferral IF I get accepted. Should I just keep my mouth shut or mention that in my secondary?

For the second part of the secondary, I actually plan on joining the Peace Corps with the hope of getting a deferment. (I already asked the school and they told me they'll take a look at my written request and think about it)

It seems like most schools aren't very happy with deferrals so I was going to keep it on the downlow and then ask for a deferral IF I get accepted. Should I just keep my mouth shut or mention that in my secondary?

If I was in your position, I would not mention a thing until I get an acceptance.

Ugh, I can beat up Boston after getting their secondary. I was dumb and have all my letter of recommendations already assigned to go to BU. AND THEN a get their secondary, and I literally have to get all the way to the application to discover that pretty much none of my recommendations are good. arghhh. They write on their website that anyone who has taught me in BCP, will be acceptable -- but then, it says it their secondaries that they want it to be professor who taught you as an undergrad. Which I have, BUT he's also my graduate research advisor, which is considered an "optional" letter. On top of that, they want the director of the graduate program to co-sign the letter. WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION THAT BEFOREHAND? :thumbdown: Now they are going to have two of the same recommendations, with one co-signed and one not.

And how do I explain that why my school has an advisor, I did not want to ask for a recommendation as I do not believe he is very competent... nor does he know me well... because I don't think he is competent.

(p.s. I love SDN because it gives me the chance to rant :laugh:)

Ugh, I can beat up Boston after getting their secondary. I was dumb and have all my letter of recommendations already assigned to go to BU. AND THEN a get their secondary, and I literally have to get all the way to the application to discover that pretty much none of my recommendations are good. arghhh. They write on their website that anyone who has taught me in BCP, will be acceptable -- but then, it says it their secondaries that they want it to be professor who taught you as an undergrad. Which I have, BUT he's also my graduate research advisor, which is considered an "optional" letter. On top of that, they want the director of the graduate program to co-sign the letter. WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION THAT BEFOREHAND? :thumbdown: Now they are going to have two of the same recommendations, with one co-signed and one not.

And how do I explain that why my school has an advisor, I did not want to ask for a recommendation as I do not believe he is very competent... nor does he know me well... because I don't think he is competent.

(p.s. I love SDN because it gives me the chance to rant :laugh:)

:laugh: That's what we're here for! Sending two letters is going to be silly, but what can you do?

So wait, what are these letter issues? I submitted the 2nd but I haven't received the secondary yet.

I'm not a big fan of some of their wording on the application.. a little confusing at times.

Anyone else tempted to do that last optional essay? It seems like they don't want us to.

whimsical, I just received the secondary today at 4:30EST.

And biochemguy, I complete agree with you. Confusing wording. Just write that you want BCP professors as undergrad everywhere... not at random places in the accplication. And I don't plan on writing a why BU in the optional essay -- as yes, I don't think they want you to -- and also, because, I pretty much have written everything I want to in the three essays (reapplicant, not an undergrad, and diversity). If anyone has a reason for why BU, please let me know. My mom wanted me to apply here because I am a neurobiology grad and they have a really good neuroscience program there. :laugh: I can't really write that.

Got the secondary invite and set up my BU web account but cannot login. Yes, I know my password, and I enter it correctly every time. Anyone else have that problem? Really irked by this system.

Weird, I have not received their secondary yet. Submitted on the 22nd of June.

What the what?? I want a secondary too. :D

Submitted June 1st and haven't gotten one either.

Can somebody post up the prompts for this year? I would love to get going on these before work tomorrow.

It sounds like a handful of schoools are not sending out secondaries "in one large batch" to everyone that applied..because I haven't yet received a secondary from BU and a few others, and yet a ton of ppl on SDN have..and I submitted on the first of June. :(

also didnt get mine.. knowing that this will come soon gives me motivation to start attacking the Columbia one tomorrow

Got the secondary invite and set up my BU web account but cannot login. Yes, I know my password, and I enter it correctly every time. Anyone else have that problem? Really irked by this system.

Yes I had the same problem. Eventually, it let me in.

I had this issue as well. My problem was the site was directing me to the 2010 login page, so my info didn't work. Double check to make sure the URL is /2011 instead of /2010.

Good luck!

I had this issue as well. My problem was the site was directing me to the 2010 login page, so my info didn't work. Double check to make sure the URL is /2011 instead of /2010.

Good luck!

That worked perfect! Thanks

Roar :mad: I did not get one yet either...

Hopefully they didn't change their minds and start screening or something...MSAR says they don't...

I got mine this morning, several hours after others had received theirs. Don't worry, you'll get it!

Anybody have their LoRs accepted by BU yet? Mine all say pending.. They were sent in before I was verified with AMCAS.

I'm just being neurotic and was hoping I could be one of the "earlier" batches...somehow, someway they decided to put me into a later batch, despite my early submission lol.

I'm just being neurotic and was hoping I could be one of the "earlier" batches...somehow, someway they decided to put me into a later batch, despite my early submission lol.

Me too...submitted within the 1st week of the AMCAS being open...kinda frustrating...

Got the secondary, but I'm not verified yet (???). So... you guys think it would be within application etiquette and all that to submit the secondary before my primary even gets to them?

Personally, I don't see why not, considering they sent it to you..lol..once it all gets verified, it'll be "complete" and they'll begin review.

Personally, I don't see why not, considering they sent it to you..lol..once it all gets verified, it'll be "complete" and they'll begin review.

Thanks. I think I will submit it. I'm still waiting on 1 letter, though, so I hope that won't hold up my app review too long. :scared:

btw, everytime I see your name, I wonder if it is "as you were at rio" or "as you were a trio." :laugh:

Thanks. I think I will submit it. I'm still waiting on 1 letter, though, so I hope that won't hold up my app review too long. :scared:

btw, everytime I see your name, I wonder if it is "as you were at rio" or "as you were a trio." :laugh:

:thumbup: I LOVE "as you were at Rio"...matches my fancy for romance now haha...(kidding)

No, but seriously, it's "as you were a trio"..which comes from As You Were, a song by Alkaline Trio.

Good luck!

Wow I feel like I should have noticed that before. Oh well, I guess this will test the responsiveness of the admissions office. THANKS!

Got the secondary, but I'm not verified yet (???). So... you guys think it would be within application etiquette and all that to submit the secondary before my primary even gets to them?

haha what the hell? (on BU, not you)

those of us who submitted and verified early dont have it yet but you do? haha

haha what the hell? (on BU, not you)

those of us who submitted and verified early dont have it yet but you do? haha

I know, right??? Seems crazy to me too. Hang in there, I am sure you will get it soon! I am a reapplicant (well, not to BU, but I applied elsewhere last year) and my courses, etc, haven't changed much since I was verified last year. Maybe that helps? GL to you all though! :luck:

Got the application about an hour ago. Questions are the same as last year (look at old thread), login seems to work fine, lor's show up as well. Verified June 2nd, definitely not filling out the optional essay- they don't like to read them it seems.

I know, right??? Seems crazy to me too. Hang in there, I am sure you will get it soon! I am a reapplicant (well, not to BU, but I applied elsewhere last year) and my courses, etc, haven't changed much since I was verified last year. Maybe that helps? GL to you all though! :luck:

yeah it looks like theyre taking their sweet time and sending them one by one or something! haha i wonder what the logic is to the order. To be honest as a CA resident this school is lower on my priority list but Id like to get as many apps out of the way. hopefully before the weekend Ill have this

yeah it looks like theyre taking their sweet time and sending them one by one or something! haha i wonder what the logic is to the order. To be honest as a CA resident this school is lower on my priority list but Id like to get as many apps out of the way. hopefully before the weekend Ill have this

Mute, I agree completely..I think they're literally going one by one with these apps..haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.