2010-2011 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, empty thread... I can't really be the only one on SDN applying here, can I? Screened in for the secondary, but it's a tough one: three essays and they require completion within two weeks.

Essay 1: Define cultural competency and describe an instance when you exhibited such competency (1250 characters).
Essay 2:
Describe your most significant leadership experience (1250 characters).

Essay 3:
Discuss what integrity means to you (1250 characters).

Wow, empty thread... I can't really be the only one on SDN applying here, can I? Screened in for the secondary, but it's a tough one: three essays and they require completion within two weeks.

Essay 1: Define cultural competency and describe an instance when you exhibited such competency (1250 characters).
Essay 2:
Describe your most significant leadership experience (1250 characters).

Essay 3:
Discuss what integrity means to you (1250 characters).

It wasn't the funnest secondary but not the worst either. I'm excited to hear back from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for giving such a useful information

I'm OOS, but I'd love to go to ET, I love the south, the mountains, and I love bluegrass!
:)

Bump... first school to mark my application as complete (thanks mainly to my wonderful premed committee and their desire to wait as long as possible before sending out letters)!

Now the waiting begins...

I'm still waiting for my second MCAT score to come out this coming Tuesday, so I was wondering if ETSU has sent out secondaries yet? Just want to know how far behind I am.

Armywife--I received the secondary
Wiingy--your secondary application was marked complete? I submitted the same day as you and haven't heard anything back. According to their initial email, they notify us (by email?) when we are marked complete. Is that what happens?

Armywife--I received the secondary
Wiingy--your secondary application was marked complete? I submitted the same day as you and haven't heard anything back. According to their initial email, they notify us (by email?) when we are marked complete. Is that what happens?

I received the secondary on July 7th with a due date of July 29th - on the 29th they marked me as complete. Has your due date passed? They might just wait until then to check that everything is there and ready to move to the next step.

Last edited:
June 7? is that an EDP thing?

I was notified on June 25, the day AMCAS sends out the applications to the schools, that ETSU had received my primary. I got a secondary invite on July 29 and submitted it on the 30th. How exactly do you know that they "marked you complete"? There is no website to check secondary application status. Do they email you to tell you your supplemental has been marked complete sometime after you submit it?

Sorry but I'm still confused :p

Members don't see this ad :)
June 7? is that an EDP thing?

I was notified on June 25, the day AMCAS sends out the applications to the schools, that ETSU had received my primary. I got a secondary invite on July 29 and submitted it on the 30th. How exactly do you know that they "marked you complete"? There is no website to check secondary application status. Do they email you to tell you your supplemental has been marked complete sometime after you submit it?

Sorry but I'm still confused :p

Yeah, they received my AMCAS on June 25th, sent on invite on July 7th (with a reminder that all info was due by July29th), then on July 29th they sent an email saying that my secondary was complete. I think that they just do things in batches, so I would guess that you'll get a complete email on August 19th.

Back to waiting on Drexel, UT, and Vandy... then I'm done with secondaries for the year!

Anyone out of state received a secondary yet? I was placed in the "hold" category until they received my 2nd MCAT scores on Tuesday. I grew up in East Tennessee and lived there until I got married, my husband is active duty army and we got stationed in North Carolina. I hate that I'm considered out of state! East Tennessee will always be my home. Do any of you guys think that growing up in Tennessee and my entire family living there will help me at all, since being out of state makes it incredibly hard to get into ETSU????

Anyone out of state received a secondary yet? I was placed in the "hold" category until they received my 2nd MCAT scores on Tuesday. I grew up in East Tennessee and lived there until I got married, my husband is active duty army and we got stationed in North Carolina. I hate that I'm considered out of state! East Tennessee will always be my home. Do any of you guys think that growing up in Tennessee and my entire family living there will help me at all, since being out of state makes it incredibly hard to get into ETSU????

Yes, I think it will help you a lot. How do you know that there is a hold on your app? I didn't know there was a way to check your app status at this school. Did they email you about it after you submitted?

best wishes :luck:

I'm OOS and haven't received a secondary yet. ETSU was my undergrad institution, and I'm actually doing research at Quillen right now. I don't expect to hear from them until later in the cycle since they accept so few OOS. I think that as long as you're from the region i.e. east TN, southwest VA, and western NC you will have a fighting chance as opposed to being out of state from somewhere other than those areas. Who knows though.

Suncrusher: Yes they e-mailed me after I submitted my primary and it said that "You meet all the requirements.... but to ensure that all of your information is as up to date as possible when your application is reviewed, it will be placed on hold until receipt of your upcoming MCAT scores" That's not word for word but the gist of the e-mail.

Yay! I got the secondary today! Now to finish writing the essays....... maybe I should have majored in English lol.....

For those of you who got secondaries, how long did it take them to send you secondaries after they received your complete application? I'm curious because my AMCAS was processed and complete in mid July but I just got my first MCAT score this past Tuesday. Should I be worried??

Woohoo! Interview invite! Marked complete on July 29th. Good luck to everyone waiting, I think that they are working on a big file review this week (what they told me when I called to make sure that they had received an additional LoR).

Congrats Wiingy!

To be honest, I'm not sure where all the hype about QCom comes from. Their curriculum is a bit bass-ackwards. Gross Anatomy in 3 months, no preceptorships, first time you get to see a real patient is your M3 and M4 clerkships, (Standardized patients-actors, don't count!)per the tour. I have some doubts about how much action their affiliated hospitals see. Johnson City isn't bad, but its nothing to write home about either. Kind of like a more suburban Chattanooga.

Well, at least in-state tuition!

Do they send out interview invites by email or snail-mail?
My invitation came through e-mail last year. They may do it in a different way this year. Who knows...
Anyways, lets' hope that we all SDNers get an interview invitation this year.

Last edited:
Do they send out interview invites by email or snail-mail?

They sent out mine through email. Thanks to everyone - I'm sure that most of you will get invites soon!

I sure hope I get an interview, though I suspect it will be a while, I wasn't complete until August 24th they were waiting for my MCAT scores..... ugh....

I sure hope I get an interview, though I suspect it will be a while, I wasn't complete until August 24th they were waiting for my MCAT scores..... ugh....
ETSU was pretty early with their responses, I bet you'll hear from ETSU before you hear from anywhere else!

Anybody submit a later AMCAS? I got my confirmation that QCOM had received my application on Aug. 11 and never heard back about the secondary....I am in state with pretty good numbers. All other schools I applied to at the same time are much further along in the process (i.e. interview/ rejection stage) Should I be worried here, or contact them about my status? Thanks.

Anybody submit a later AMCAS? I got my confirmation that QCOM had received my application on Aug. 11 and never heard back about the secondary....I am in state with pretty good numbers. All other schools I applied to at the same time are much further along in the process (i.e. interview/ rejection stage) Should I be worried here, or contact them about my status? Thanks.
Well, I got QCOM's confirmation email 6/25, and the email for their secondary app 7/12... that's almost 20 days, and they're probably busier/have more apps to look over now than earlier on. It's been only 20 days now for you, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

I wouldn't worry too much. I got confirmation on 6/25 and didn't get the secondary till last friday which makes it about two months. I'm out of state though so that probably has something to do with it.

Thanks for the heads up akr and youknoww.....I don't mind waiting and I actually appreciate that they go over the entire application and take their time deciding who to send secondaries to. Some schools I didn't even apply to because they only look at numbers in the first few screenings. I had a 3.1 undergrad...with no science or math classes, my post-bac and sci. gpa is a 4.0, my graduate (MPHat Johns Hopkins) gpa is also high-3.9, and my MCAT is in the 30s but I can't get past the first screens at a lot of schools that only look at undergrad gpa and mact before making the decision on whether or not to interview- without looking at the whole application.

Interview invite today. OOS, 30, 3.7. Complete really early (I don't remember the exact date). Interview on 10-5 but they have a few earlier dates available.

Congrats!! I'm sooo jealous, ETSU is literally 20 minutes from where I grew up, and it's a great school! One of the doctors I shadowed went there, my neighbor across the street from where I grew up went there, and my mother is a RN at the VA there. I've heard so many great things about Quillen's family atmosphere among other things. Here's hoping I get an interview, I'm considered OOS now.... :(

Congrats!! I'm sooo jealous, ETSU is literally 20 minutes from where I grew up, and it's a great school! One of the doctors I shadowed went there, my neighbor across the street from where I grew up went there, and my mother is a RN at the VA there. I've heard so many great things about Quillen's family atmosphere among other things. Here's hoping I get an interview, I'm considered OOS now.... :(

That is good to hear, I need a place with a good family environment. (I am an army wife too. Well technically husband, but then again I know who wears the pants around here.)

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

LOL.... yay, we are Army Wife Strong, well ummm Army Husband Strong?? lol... ETSU is also very military friendly which is great.

Just got back from the interview today...went really well I think.

Anybody driving up from Knoxville to QCOM for the first time when they interview? Mine's coming up pretty soon... getting very excited and nervous about it!

YAY!!! I got an interview invite today, I'm so excited!!!!!

Those with interview invites mind sharing stats and when complete?

Congrats Armywife!!
And VOLengrMD, here are my stats...
3.6, 34, complete 8/10, invite 8/26.

3.98 GPA/ 32 MCAT OOS (but I was born and raised in East Tennessee, don't know if that made a difference or not) :)
Complete: 8/24 Invite: 9/14

Anybody driving up from Knoxville to QCOM for the first time when they interview? Mine's coming up pretty soon... getting very excited and nervous about it!

I'm flying in to Knoxville and driving up from there. Should be quite the day trip with the flight from Alaska!

I'm flying in to Knoxville and driving up from there. Should be quite the day trip with the flight from Alaska!
Oh my... well, I hope you get plenty of sleep beforehand! I'm sure your long trek will be worth it though :)

OOS, 3.67 GPA, 33Q MCAT..

Rejected.

Not so bad, wasn't really interested in going, but I am beginning to doubt something in my application for them to say my credentials don't match up to their non-resident credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.