2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

99.9% sure sure the essays aren't changing for next year @ EVMS... refer to last year.

Also, first poster in 2010-2011????

Who'da thought?

The secondary is actually already up online (first in this year??), though you must not submit it before Admission Office asks you to do so.
http://www.evms.edu/md-admissions/supplemental-application.html

Essays:
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician.
3. What do you think you will like best about being a physician.
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.
Space is small for each question, kind of 100-150 words.

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary is actually already up online (first in this year??), though you must not submit it before Admission Office asks you to do so.
http://www.evms.edu/md-admissions/supplemental-application.html

Essays:
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician.
3. What do you think you will like best about being a physician.
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.
Space is small for each question, kind of 100-150 words.

Interesting.. thanks.
The In-State residency form has Yes boxes all checked in the PDF file.. mistake I guess?

Interesting.. thanks.
The In-State residency form has Yes boxes all checked in the PDF file.. mistake I guess?

Yeah, there's a "reset" button at the top of the second page that gets rid of everything.

Thanks for the link!

So do they not have an online method for filling it out?

And what does this mean?
"The following forms may be filled out online or offline through your browser, then printed and mailed to us." I don't see a link to the electronic version.

So do they not have an online method for filling it out?

And what does this mean?
"The following forms may be filled out online or offline through your browser, then printed and mailed to us." I don't see a link to the electronic version.

I am pretty sure they mean you can either fill out the form electronically (type it up) and print it out, or print out blank and hand write everything it in.

Silly question on my part, but I see that they require 2 photos, are these supposed to be the same photo just two of them, or two different poses?

that's actually a good questino. ithat was my question too. Maybe we should have one nice picture and one "street clothes"/normal picture?

that's actually a good questino. ithat was my question too. Maybe we should have one nice picture and one "street clothes"/normal picture?

haha, 2 of the same picture are fine.

Just got this one! I'm OOS but lived in VA for 5 years..

RE the secondary: Even though all of the application materials are online, EVMS will screen your AMCAS. Once you get an email invitation to submit your secondary, you can go ahead and mail it in (what I had to do last year).

RE the photos: Just attach two copies of the same passport photo. They're copied and attached to your application materials so that the adcom members can put a face with the name when you're being reviewed.

Just got it.. so secondary is by mail only?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they changed it for this application cycle, yes (mail only). You can still download and fill out the secondary from the website (it's the same batch of documents they send you in the "invitation to complete secondary" email), but you have to snail mail it.

My personal advice, go FedEx on all mailed in payments or apps. I never left anything like this to chance, or USPS. Neither has treated me well in the past :laugh:.

Did they come via email or snail mail? I received my UVA email today, but haven't been home to check the mailbox.

It came via email.

Hmm.

Guess I'll wait and see then. Looks like they may wait until your MCAT scores are released, which means I've got a few more weeks to wait.

Good luck, everyone.:luck:

My personal advice, go FedEx on all mailed in payments or apps. I never left anything like this to chance, or USPS. Neither has treated me well in the past :laugh:.

So you recommend mailing all hardcopy secondaries by fedex? But fedex requires signature right? Anyone had bad experiences with just mailing through regular mail?

So you recommend mailing all hardcopy secondaries by fedex? But fedex requires signature right? Anyone had bad experiences with just mailing through regular mail?

The signature requirement and tracking ability are precisely why I always used FedEx or Priority Mail. There's no way I would ever leave anything that important to chance (i.e. regular mail).

Hmm.

Guess I'll wait and see then. Looks like they may wait until your MCAT scores are released, which means I've got a few more weeks to wait.

Good luck, everyone.:luck:

They put me on an MCAT hold last year until they received the new scores (even though I had good, but older, scores). They'll send you an email every time your status changes.

How long is everyone making their responses to these questions about what you will like most/least? I hate it when I am not told a limit to go by!

Only 8 lines fit. I read a response on a previous thread that it would cut off at 10-11 lines, but it cut mine to 8 when I printed.

how are you guys entering the course name/number? It'll only either fit the course name or the course number, not both

how are you guys entering the course name/number? It'll only either fit the course name or the course number, not both

I just shortened them to something reasonably recognizable and included both. Like "GENERAL CHEMISTRY I/CHEM 111" became "GEN CHEM I/CHEM 111"

anyone know anything about EVMS that will help em write "why EVMS". their website has nothing useful

DO they screen? I still haven't received a secondary :confused:

anyone know anything about EVMS that will help em write "why EVMS". their website has nothing useful

I know exactly what you feel.

At first when I got the secondary I was like :D and then I saw five questions and was like :eek: and now I feel like :confused: for there not being anything useful on their website.

I wrote about how I am interested in internal medicine and that EVMS prepps us for primary care blah blah blah

Last edited:
DO they screen? I still haven't received a secondary :confused:

Yes they screen. I was screened out already. O well I suppose, I don't stand much chance at MDs anyway.

anyone know their screening standards?

anyone know their screening standards?

There were rumors a few years back that they primarily use a system that selects candidates with a ~3.5 overall and 3.4 science, OR with 30+ MCAT with minimum 9 on sections, but obviously there are many exceptions

There were rumors a few years back that they primarily use a system that selects candidates with a ~3.5 overall and 3.4 science, OR with 30+ MCAT with minimum 9 on sections, but obviously there are many exceptions

Well, I have a balanced 33 so that isn't the case. Who knows what their screening is. O well, saved me 100 dollars in secondary fees.

Well, I have a balanced 33 so that isn't the case. Who knows what their screening is. O well, saved me 100 dollars in secondary fees.

I feel like it is weird that you didn't get one when I did... my GPA is slightly better than yours but your MCAT is slightly better than mine. Weird. At least you did save that money... considering the fact that I probably won't get in here anyways lol

:thumbup: I figure the money is better spent elsewhere anyways. :) Hopefully we both have better luck somewhere else.

My university does not have a pre-med advisory committee, which means I am going to go the individual letter route. All of my letters have been signed on letterhead and have been submitted through AMCAS.

I pulled up the recommendation form and it talks about needing signatures from each professor if you choose to use individual letters.

Do I have to have each of my professors sign one of these forms if they already submitted their documents through AMCAS??

My university does not have a pre-med advisory committee, which means I am going to go the individual letter route. All of my letters have been signed on letterhead and have been submitted through AMCAS.

I pulled up the recommendation form and it talks about needing signatures from each professor if you choose to use individual letters.

Do I have to have each of my professors sign one of these forms if they already submitted their documents through AMCAS??

If your letters will be submitted electronically through AMCAS to EVMS, the recommendation form is not needed.
From the EVMS guideline sheet:
"Use a recommendation form with letters that are not being submitted
electronically or for letters that you have not waived any and all rights of access to.
Recommendation forms can be printed from our Web site."

If your letters will be submitted electronically through AMCAS to EVMS, the recommendation form is not needed.
From the EVMS guideline sheet:
"Use a recommendation form with letters that are not being submitted
electronically or for letters that you have not waived any and all rights of access to.
Recommendation forms can be printed from our Web site."

Perfect. Thank you for your help!

That couldn't be right because in MSAR their lower 10% in verbal and PS is 8. And their lower 10% MCAT goes to 28. I dunno.. I applied here twice and was rejected pre-secondary both times.. 3.8 GPA with 3.73 sGPA but my MCAT was 29 with a 8 in PS. I think I was screwed by my extensive research experience since they are seeking people who want to go into primary care.. eh whatever I would rather be screened out and save $100. I have enough other applications.

I don't know about them putting such a priority on people wanting to go into primary care. They always have a significant amount of student that specialize. I think EVMS would be more likely for primary care. Also, I don't think your research experience hurt you. I am OOS, have a similar MCAT, 3.5 GPA, 4.5 years of reasearch experience, and I got a secondary invite.

I don't know about them putting such a priority on people wanting to go into primary care. They always have a significant amount of student that specialize. I think EVMS would be more likely for primary care. Also, I don't think your research experience hurt you. I am OOS, have a similar MCAT, 3.5 GPA, 4.5 years of reasearch experience, and I got a secondary invite.

Yeah.. who knows.. its all just a crapshoot. lol yay for one less secondary. XD

I'm not sure what their screening standards are, I have a 27Q.. PS 8 VR 9 BS 10 and I was sent a secondary. However, I also got an email that said my MCAT was not high enough to be competitive as an OOS applicant, not sure why I passed the screen with those numbers though. Weird. I'm not submitting though, save the $$ for places I actually have a shot.

I'm not sure what their screening standards are, I have a 27Q.. PS 8 VR 9 BS 10 and I was sent a secondary. However, I also got an email that said my MCAT was not high enough to be competitive as an OOS applicant, not sure why I passed the screen with those numbers though. Weird. I'm not submitting though, save the $$ for places I actually have a shot.

I have a similar MCAT and also received a secondary...and also got that e-mail. It says, "Please be advised that it is strongly recommended that you retake the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in order for your application to remain competitive. Please notify our office of your decision regarding a future MCAT as soon as possible." Ouch! I submitted the secondary anyways. You never know.

No word from them either way, but from the looks of it, I might get screened out. I'm OOS.

Hey all! Just got a "complete" email today -

"We have all the materials necessary to complete your application for admission.

You will be notified as soon as our Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and a decision conferning your candidacy has been made."

I believe I mailed it 07/02.

Hi, I'm OOS and I got EVMS's secondary appl email. Does anyone know if EVMS requires all rec letters in place to complete application, or it could offer interview before getting all letters? I ask because EVMS is one of only a few schools that require a letter from graduate advisor, and unfortunately I won't have that letter from advisor until late August or even September. If that's going to hold up my application I probably shall withdraw ... thanks for your reply

2ndary today. OOS. No ties to Virginia. Like their questions. They really allow me to shine. :). Except for the question about why E Virginia. Haven't looked into the school at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.