2010-2011 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

This is definitely one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted primary today, including Emory. I'm not a big city person, but other than that seems to be an awesome program!

Submitted primary today, including Emory. I'm not a big city person, but other than that seems to be an awesome program!

Have you ever visited Emory? I could be wrong about this, but when I visited as a Ugrad it seemed really far removed from the more urban parts of Atlanta. I wouldn't go so far as to say rural, but certainly not more suburban than urban-feeling... Anyway, just food for thought!

Primary submitted and processed today! :)

Have you ever visited Emory? I could be wrong about this, but when I visited as a Ugrad it seemed really far removed from the more urban parts of Atlanta. I wouldn't go so far as to say rural, but certainly not more suburban than urban-feeling... Anyway, just food for thought!
Emory med students spend a lot of time at Grady, which is pretty far from campus (which I agree, is kinda tucked away from the bustle of Atlanta).

I went to Emory as an undergrad, the campus itself is definitely more suburban (there is also a campus that is borderline rural OTP). The main Emory hospital is on campus, but Grady and the hospital formerly known as Crawford Long (can't remember what it is called now, Emory Midtown or something?) aren't on campus but are accessible by Emory shuttle. One of the other local hospitals isn't far from Emory and that is also suburbanish. I've never been to Grady though, but I hear it's pretty crazy.

Apparently I have a lot of research to do before doing secondaries!

I go to Emory (UG). No, you're not in urban Atlanta, but it's only a short drive away. You can still experience the best of urban ATL without having to deal with traffic, parking, and all that. Atlanta's an awesome city. The merits of the med school itself aside, Emory is geographically located in a great place to go to school.

And Grady IS crazy. One of the busiest hospitals in the country hands down. Great place to go esp if you're interesting in emergency medicine.

Anyone know ( or could find ) the secondary essays for emory? Maybe I could get a head start :)

Just curious, if Emory isn't in the middle of the city, then why is its estimated cost of housing so crazy high?

Because it's in Druid Hills which isn't exactly the cheapest part of Atlanta. Plus with medical schools, they will hike the cost of living so you can borrow more.

Of course most Emory undergrads and graduate students (at least) that can, do tend to move out to Lithonia or Conyers or other places OTP and commute in. When I lived in Conyers, my rent was about $350/month (including water/trash) for a 600 square foot place. I have a friend who works at Emory who is about 10-15 minutes from campus (in Decatur) who rents out a room in his condo for ~$500/mo or something. OTP I rented a 600 square foot place for $350/mo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because it's in Druid Hills which isn't exactly the cheapest part of Atlanta. Plus with medical schools, they will hike the cost of living so you can borrow more.

Of course most Emory undergrads and graduate students (at least) that can, do tend to move out to Lithonia or Conyers or other places OTP and commute in. When I lived in Conyers, my rent was about $350/month (including water/trash) for a 600 square foot place. I have a friend who works at Emory who is about 10-15 minutes from campus (in Decatur) who rents out a room in his condo for ~$500/mo or something. OTP I rented a 600 square foot place for $350/mo.

When did you go to Emory? I dont know any Emory students that move out to conyers/lithonia.

No one has posted on here for a while! This school would be amazing... only downside is the cost. Does anyone know how student loans for medical school work? I heard you can get some that don't bear interest until you are done with med school. Hope you all do well with the apps!

To whoever said the cost of living is crazy high around Emory that is absolutely false... unless you consider living in big houses or spacious apartments right near campus for 500 / month expensive... Atlanta is one of the most livable big cities in the US

I got a strange email. It was an invitation to apply to Emory University based on my MCAT, but it was recalled a few minutes later. I'm confused. Does this happen very often?

I got a strange email. It was an invitation to apply to Emory University based on my MCAT, but it was recalled a few minutes later. I'm confused. Does this happen very often?
The first one they sent out apparently had some mistakes in it and was accidentally sent out early. You should have already received a new one.

I just read the email more carefully. They apparently thought that I was a person of color, so I was about to get a personal advocate inside the school to help me get all possible information and advantages. They then realized that I was not in the favored class of persons and withdrew the email. I'm crushed.

On the other hand, I wasn't planning on applying anyway, sooooo.... I will survive, I will survive....

I just read the email more carefully. They apparently thought that I was a person of color, so I was about to get a personal advocate inside the school to help me get all possible information and advantages. They then realized that I was not in the favored class of persons and withdrew the email. I'm crushed.

On the other hand, I wasn't planning on applying anyway, sooooo.... I will survive, I will survive....

Yep...I also received this e-mail and do not fit the intended audience. The difference is that I am applying to Emory and would have really loved a personal advocate inside the school :)

I'm not sure what their criteria is? I am a pacific islander and I got the email and had it recalled as well? Guess i dont fit? or maybe they recalled it for everyone?:(

Has anyone received information about the Emory secondary yet?

@ EdLongshanks - I received the same email, and also the amended email. Apparently there is an aamc minority registry they collected our contact info from. I've been receiving all sorts of emails like this from various med schools. It's actually quite sad that they feel the need to recruit minorities.

Just to be sure I haven't missed something, nobody is getting emory's secondary yet right?

Any non-URM get another one of these e-mails today?

* Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

* Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

I am not a URM, and I got one today. I am very confused because my mcat is way too low.

The only thing I can think of is economically disadvantaged, or it's a mistake.

Yeah my MCAT is way low for Emory but I'm thinking maybe non-trad and GA resident? Probably a mistake again, ha

I received one as well, but my mcat is way low for Emory. It's possible it's economically disadvantaged, but I was not planning on applying there and I'd hope AMCAS wouldn't just blast all my personal info to over 100 schools. :)

Anyone have anymore information about this email they sent out?

Do you think its a genuine email or are they just trying to get more people to apply to get more money or something?

I wasnt even considering this school, so do you guys think its worth applying because of the email?

I already applied before I got this email, lol

So Emory has a 18 credit humanities requirement(I only have 15 and graduated so the prospect of taking another class is not ideal). Anyone know if I can use my communications/speech class to fill the final 3 credits.

This bring to my attention....does 1 semester hour=1 credit? I couldn't confirm this on the website. Is it just me or Emory really does have an unusually demanding requirement?

8 CREDITS for all science subjects, 6 CREDITS for English, and then 18 CREDITS for humanities sound rather crazy!

This bring to my attention....does 1 semester hour=1 credit? I couldn't confirm this on the website. Is it just me or Emory really does have an unusually demanding requirement?

8 CREDITS for all science subjects, 6 CREDITS for English, and then 18 CREDITS for humanities sound rather crazy!

i dont think 1 credit is 1 course, the whole credit hour thing is weird, but i think they have normal requirements for science and english. not sure about humanities though

Directly from Emory's website:

Minimum course requirements include:

Physical Science ******* ************8 semester hours (with lab)
Biology ********************* *************8 semester hours (with lab)
Chemistry *******************************8 semester hours (with lab)
Organic Chemistry *******************8 semester hours (with lab)
English ***********************************6 semester hours
Humanities/Social Sciences ****18 semester hours

Science course requirements are intended to demonstrate a sound knowledge in each of the basic science areas. We expect medical school students to have a strong foundation in these areas, prior to attending medical school. An applicant's GPA in the sciences is carefully considered, although not weighted.

The English requirement is intended to demonstrate competency in grammar and composition at the college level. Literature courses may be used to fill the English requirement if the course was writing-intensive.

Examples of Humanities/Social Sciences courses include:

Anthropology
Art / Art History
Black Studies / African American Studies
Classical Studies
Foreign Languages
History
Journalism
Literature
Music / Music Appreciation
Philosophy
Political Science
Psychology
Religion
Sociology
Theater / Film Studies
Women's Studies

Hello all! I absolutely love Emory...Good Luck to all of us.

got the secondary this morning

If you don't mind telling ncboy, when did you submit your primary app?

Got my secondary today too. Submitted primary app on June 1.

Can anyone share the grading system for Emory? I've heard it's P/F, but the only information I could find from Emory's site was from the '08 student handbook, which says a A-F grading system. Thank you!

I also got the secondary today and submitted it. I submitted my primary app on June 2nd

Since they say they invite everyone to complete their secondary, any idea how they are sending them out? Just date submitted?

To whoever said the cost of living is crazy high around Emory that is absolutely false... unless you consider living in big houses or spacious apartments right near campus for 500 / month expensive... Atlanta is one of the most livable big cities in the US

Emory's website has cost of living at ~$23,000/yr. Compare that to Philadelphia's $10,000/yr. Do they think it's Manhattan or what??

Also, for the Georgians / Emory people, is the area really suburban? Specifically, is it a good area for cycling and running? Are there any green / natural park places close by?

Last edited:
Emory's website has cost of living at ~$23,000/yr. Compare that to Philadelphia's $10,000/yr. Do they think it's Manhattan or what??

Also, for the Georgians / Emory people, is the area really suburban? Specifically, is it a good area for cycling and running? Are there any green / natural park places close by?

Ummm...I'm pretty shocked any philly school would claim 10k a year cost of living. That's absurdly, absurdly low. Assuming you're paying 400 a month for rent (which is an almost rediculously big assumption, even in a cheaper city like Philly. It'd probably be more like 800 for an even semi-decent place), once you factor in utilities, you'd be left with like 4.5k for food/fun/travel etc. for the year. That's really not enough for most people to get by--especially if you want to visit home, go abroad at some point (I assume that your program doesn't pay for tickets and housing for abroad rotations), eat anything besides stale bread and ramen etc. Are you sure it's not 10k for housing alone?

The area is suburban and is a very nice area for biking/ running. Druid Hills is one of the nicest areas of Atlanta. Candler and Piedmont parks are near by and both are relatively nice. Also, that cost of living estimate seems ridiculously high.. apartments around Emory run between 500 and 700 per month and if you rent houses it can go even cheaper. Everything about Atlanta is cheaper than other cities in the Northeast from my experience

Ummm...I'm pretty shocked any philly school would claim 10k a year cost of living. That's absurdly, absurdly low.

Here's Emory's estimated costs: http://med.emory.edu/admissions/financialaid.cfm

Housing is listed at $23,664. Food may be included in this because it's not listed elsewhere.

Here's UPenn's estimated costs:
http://www.med.upenn.edu/admiss/financial.html

Housing is listed at $10,670. I don't know if that's on or off-campus. With their food budget, cost of living would be between $15-16,000. That's still significantly cheaper than $23k. I'm not looking to put one above the other, I'm just curious as to why there's such a difference. Of course, if Emory is planning on putting all their students in Atlanta penthouse suites, I'm totally ok with that.

Also, thanks SodaScientist. Good to know!

Here's Emory's estimated costs: http://med.emory.edu/admissions/financialaid.cfm

Housing is listed at $23,664. Food may be included in this because it's not listed elsewhere.

Here's UPenn's estimated costs:
http://www.med.upenn.edu/admiss/financial.html

Housing is listed at $10,670. I don't know if that's on or off-campus. With their food budget, cost of living would be between $15-16,000. That's still significantly cheaper than $23k. I'm not looking to put one above the other, I'm just curious as to why there's such a difference. Of course, if Emory is planning on putting all their students in Atlanta penthouse suites, I'm totally ok with that.

Also, thanks SodaScientist. Good to know!

Ah ok. Adding the misc and food that makes more sense and it ends up being closer to 19k, I think (Emory doesn't have a misc expenses category like Penn). No clue why the 19 versus 23, though. Maybe students have more cheap housing options around Penn (apartments aren't too bad in downtown Philly) or maybe food is cheaper? or maybe Penn just thinks its students need a small allowance? :laugh: It might also be based on some standardized cost of living measures independent of the schools themselves and based on the city/zone/county etc.? Edit: whoa and by "country" I mean "county"

Last edited:
So two things:

1. Are they serious when they say they require 18 humanities credits? Really? Wow. I'm an engineer. I have a ton of credits in fascinating medical, engineering, science courses, but only 9 in humanities. I'll bring this up to 15 before I graduate, but there is no way I can break 18. Am I barred from Emory?

2. 100 words is only a little longer than what I've written in this entire post, so yeah, it's not enough for the essays. Double-wow.

Can anyone tell me what the essay prompts r. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.