2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

ESSAY FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE HARVARD-MIT DIVISION OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY (HST)
The HST Division represents a unique environment that draws on the combined resources of Harvard University and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for a career as a physician-scientist, with an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches to areas of critical important to medicine. Please explain your interest in HST, including how your prior experiences, including research, have prepared you for this challenging opportunity. In lieu of identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities, please focus on your particular experiences, interests and aspirations. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sure is quiet in here..

Harvard requires Calc I and II. I didn't plan on taking Calc II.. if a miracle occurred and I got accepted here, would they be OK with me taking Calc II over the summer before matriculation? Or will I get rejected right away because Calc II isn't on my 'current and future' coursework on AMCAS primary?

It sure is quiet in here..

Harvard requires Calc I and II. I didn't plan on taking Calc II.. if a miracle occurred and I got accepted here, would they be OK with me taking Calc II over the summer before matriculation? Or will I get rejected right away because Calc II isn't on my 'current and future' coursework on AMCAS primary?

It sounds like all requirements must be meet before starting at Havard so you should be fine taking it the summer before medical school if you are accepted. I'm sure you don't have to put it in your current/future list on the AMCAS.

Additionally, it says if you took some AP courses that were used to satisfy portions of the chemistry, physics, or mathematics requirements, and they don't show up on your transcript, you just have to send the scores in before you matriculate (which to me sounds pretty odd and means that just have to take your word at the interview that you got this work done, and just prove it once you are accepted).

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually start sending them by mid july, like Northwestern....

Wow, this must be the least active school specific thread - no HMS love. Good luck y'all. I will be starting this August, please PM if you have any questions about interviewing, admissions at HMS.

Wow, this must be the least active school specific thread - no HMS love. Good luck y'all. I will be starting this August, please PM if you have any questions about interviewing, admissions at HMS.

Most of us haven't received the secondary yet. I'm sure it'll pick up shortly.

Unless they were brushing me off, the admissions office said the secondary application would be sent out in August when I called them.

I think last year it was the very very end of July (basically August). I think admissions is telling it straight

Is this the only school that has yet to send out secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the only school that has yet to send out secondaries?

No, I still have quite a few on my list that haven't sent anything yet. I think there should be a lot this week and next, though.

Thought I'd stop by to wish y'all good luck. To be exact, I received the secondary July 29 last year. It doesn't ask for too much though so it's all good.

naija boy i beg tell ya skul to take me

naija boy i beg tell ya skul to take me

No problem. Me, I go hunga strike and I no go chop unless director of admissions take you.

On a more serious note - I wish you good luck. If there's anything I can help you with, make sure to PM me.

I dont think so. Last year they started sending them july 28th. Maybe tonite!. This is one of the few that has not sent a secondary yet.

I guess they send in batches. I feel like a joker to apply with my lowly 32, but you never know.

still waiting on mine.

no essays then?

That was the easiest 85 dollars I ever threw away.

After all the essays I've written, this was a very refreshing secondary. I actually had to look over it just to make sure I didn't miss an essay. :laugh:

Received and submitted! Good luck to all! :luck::D

No essays!!! :)
Actually, no, there are some for ppl who are re-applying or have already graduated.

But yeah. Best secondary ever. :D

There's also a beastly essay if you're applying to the HST program:

" .The HST Division represents a unique environment that draws on the combined resources of Harvard University and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for a career as a physician-scientist, with an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches to areas of critical important to medicine. Please explain your interest in HST, including how your prior experiences, including research, have prepared you for this challenging opportunity. In lieu of identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities, please focus on your particular experiences, interests and aspirations. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12." (4000 characters max)

.Ugh.

I dont think so. Last year they started sending them july 28th. Maybe tonite!. This is one of the few that has not sent a secondary yet.

Wow...was this a good prediction or what??!!!

I got the secondary last nite. Sent this AM. Good luck to all!

Do you guys know anything about the HST program? I was reading up a little about it but I wondered if anyone knew more than what the website said.

Do you guys know anything about the HST program? I was reading up a little about it but I wondered if anyone knew more than what the website said.

From what I've heard, a lot of HST classes are separate from the NP classes and there is no PBL.

Any thoughts re: the dual degree program question on the secondary?

I am potentially interested in the M.B.A. (c'mon, Harvard business school? sure!) and M.P.H. programs, but their websites make clear you can also wait to apply until you're an M2. Going for either at this point could..

- make you stand out (good)
- put you through an (even) more stringent screen (bad)

I know nobody has special knowledge here, but I appreciate the thoughts.

Am I the only one that wishes there was a spot for an essay : (

I know it's nitpicky, but did any graduates / people who responded to the "what've you been up to?" essay copy and paste? I didn't check to see that the paragraph breaks went through...

gahh.

I know it's nitpicky, but did any graduates / people who responded to the "what've you been up to?" essay copy and paste? I didn't check to see that the paragraph breaks went through...

gahh.

I did. It looked as though the breaks came through...hopefully the format the adcom gets will have the breaks as well

I think their payment site might be down. I finalized my application, but it won't take my AmEx or Visa cards (or my parents').

If you happen to be reapplying, and have graduated this time around, do they still expect you to answer both essay questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.