2010-2011 Howard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone applying to Howard University??!?!?

Hopefully my post doesn't spark off some heated debate (cause I find all the anger on this forum really counterproductive) but, how do people feel about non-African American students applying to/matriculating at HBCs? I applied this year (I'm white) because I really admire the mission of the school (increasing the number of docs who will serve in underserved communities) but, I can see how some African American students might have a problem with this. After all, the school was created to provide an opportunity for African American students who were unfairly restricted from other schools. And clearly I don't face the same prejudices but, I really like the social justice aspect of the school and feel that my desire to serve the underserved would be a "good fit." What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully my post doesn't spark off some heated debate (cause I find all the anger on this forum really counterproductive) but, how do people feel about non-African American students applying to/matriculating at HBCs? I applied this year (I'm white) because I really admire the mission of the school (increasing the number of docs who will serve in underserved communities) but, I can see how some African American students might have a problem with this. After all, the school was created to provide an opportunity for African American students who were unfairly restricted from other schools. And clearly I don't face the same prejudices but, I really like the social justice aspect of the school and feel that my desire to serve the underserved would be a "good fit." What do you guys think?
I really don't think it matters as long as you can "demonstrate" commitment to the under served, and that you re not just applying to howard as a safety. Cos I think they can see through the bull***t.

If you truly want to attend Howard, it doesn't matter what anyone else think. If you want to then go for it. It's up to the admission committee to decide if they want you as a student or not.

The admissions considerations and the culture as a whole there is more complex than one might imagine as a white student seeking admission at first.

For instance. They first and foremost want to produce excellent physicians. If one of their students goes on to be a top notch surgeon at a top notch, internationally renown program. Why wouldn't they be proud of that student. Does that mean that if that person doesn't specifically go to work for an impoverished minority community that they have failed their mission. No. Of course not. If yourself as a white student did the same from their school. Would it be any different. No. Of course not.

Apply there if the place intrigues you. If the location would be good for you. If the cost is manageable to you. Just as you would for any school.

But. You should definitely communicate a strong interest in the place. They will screen heavily--this is my tacit assumption given my experience--for a sincere interest in going there. Many applicants are mislead by cursory data on this school in the MSAR. And so they have to weed through lots of BS applications. Don't let yourself be put in the wrong pile in that process, if you really are interested in going there.

YAY! My first posting...

All righty ladies and gents...
It is officially that time, so let's get the ball rolling!!

I love Howard, I hope the feeling is mutual!:D

Anywho, I wish you all the best! We are in for a bumpy ride, but I'm sure the stress and anxiety will be all worth it.

Here's to many blessings and a successful journey during this all mighty application process. Cheers and good luck to ALL!!

I'm excited to see what my future holds...
-XOXO:love:

YAY! My first posting...

All righty ladies and gents...
It is officially that time, so let's get the ball rolling!!

I love Howard, I hope the feeling is mutual!:D

Anywho, I wish you all the best! We are in for a bumpy ride, but I'm sure the stress and anxiety will be all worth it.

Here's to many blessings and a successful journey during this all mighty application process. Cheers and good luck to ALL!!

I'm excited to see what my future holds...
-XOXO:love:

:hello:Hey Nomeclature, love the name! Yes Howard is a great school, the feeling is mutual. Goodluck to you this app cycle and to others as well.
Who knows maybe well matriculate together:):rofl:

Hey guys I went through this anxiety thing all last summer I know what you guys are going through, the secret to Howard is APPLY EARLY EARLY EARLY!!! I was accepted CO 2014! My grades were solid but my MCAT score to be honest wasn't that great, but my life story I think really drew them in. I really suggest if you want them to really read through your entire application up and down, I suggest you apply early before they get hit with the hundreds upon hundreds of Apps and then you get lost in the pile amongst the hundreds that have to be read. Good luck guys! Especially if you have a weakness on your app the key is early trust me :D

Hey all applicants applying to Howard I was just letting all of yall know that yall are going to love Howard. The people in the school are so chill and laid back and the admissions staff is phenomenal. Don't get upset when it takes a while for them to get back to you, because unless it changed, they only had two people in their admissions office. But Ms. Walk and Ms. Sharon will do their best to get back to you as soon as possible. They're great. I was also accepted into the CO 2014, but I won't be able to attend due to life constraints. It was a hard choice though, I spent many nights laying awake trying to decide between Howard and the school I'm attending. It was definitely my number 1b choice. I'm still to this day hoping I made the right choice.

bump! because ksmi117 went through the trouble to make these threads for each school....

this is my first post? i could have sworn i had posted on sdn before now. anyway, re-applicant here! got all the way to a [very late] interview, and didn't quite make the cut. apply early and good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry guys... I didn't realize there was another Howard thread available for this application season. Maybe I can merge this thread with the other... one minor problem--I totally have no clue how to perform this phenomenon if any one could be of some assistance that would be great! Thank you kindly!:):):)

im a reapp as well...i applied really late last year...but this year got to a headstart and went ahead and submitted my amcas...

So what is considered early Im going to submit my app like next week. Im a reapp; I applied to late last year.

So what is considered early Im going to submit my app like next week. Im a reapp; I applied to late last year.

Yeah I didn't submit my primary until August...and then secondary until Mid-October...So I guess that is being late...

But if you submit like in June/early July and Finish your secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them I think we are in good shape as for as applying early (this is the advice I have been getting throughout the year)

Yeah I didn't submit my primary until August...and then secondary until Mid-October...So I guess that is being late...

But if you submit like in June/early July and Finish your secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them I think we are in good shape as for as applying early (this is the advice I have been getting throughout the year)

Actually, i guess i was lucky! I applied early Nov, and by late Nov, I was invited for an interview, then attended the interview early December, and was accepted early January! I guess luck has to do with it!

Actually, i guess i was lucky! I applied early Nov, and by late Nov, I was invited for an interview, then attended the interview early December, and was accepted early January! I guess luck has to do with it!
Is it possible for you to share the MCAT score/cGPA?

I wanted to revise my thoughts for the benefit of anyone considering applying to Howard this year. I was listening to the Dean of the medical school talk on NPR based on an article published in the Annals of Internal Medicine based on ranking schools on a social mission criteria. And what came out of that was my increased awareness on the deliberate nature with with Howard selects for students interested in serving under served communities.

I thought this was more secondary than it apparently is.

So to muffy and whoever else. If you have an a passion for this type of work. Definitely. Definitely apply here. You will be in good company. Many students here are passionate about this type of work.

."Please do not send transcripts unless we request them... They will be shredded."

They literally put it in their secondary instructions. :eyebrow:

."Please do not send transcripts unless we request them... They will be shredded.".

They literally put it in their secondary instructions. :eyebrow:.

Too much paperwork and not enough staff to handle the excess makes the Admissions office very unhappy. And disappointed in students who can't follow directions. :thumbup: Are there schools that ask for physical transcripts? I thought AMCAS was enough and then they just want paper copies when you're in and matriculating. Makes sense to me. Think of it as Howard trying to save you some money that could actually go toward something better, liiiiiiike a plane ticket to your interview. :love:

Does everyone get a secondary for Howard?

(fyi I'm not verified yet....)

From
cleardot.gif
[email protected]

FOR YOUR INFORMATION - Please be advised that we will be sending an invitation to complete the Howard secondary on August 15.

We will start interviewing at the end of September.

From
cleardot.gif
[email protected]

FOR YOUR INFORMATION - Please be advised that we will be sending an invitation to complete the Howard secondary on August 15.

I got that email today too.. guess we gotta wait about a month to even fill out the secondary, lol.

From
cleardot.gif
[email protected]

Yes. Everyone who applies to Howard will get the secondary.

I thought Howard didn't have a secondary? Are they trying something new this year or I'm I mistaken?

We have always had a secondary.

Hey y'all. I am a rising MSII and will try to be around as much as possible to answer whatever questions you may have. StudentDoctor helped me out a whole lot when I applied. So if you have any questions, shoot'em out and I will do my darndest to get back. Good luck to you all.

Keep the faith throughout this process. Just keep praying and keep believing. Know that Christ will bring you through! Howard is the best medical school in the country in my opinion. I love my school and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. God bless y'all.

BlackDr2b,

I'm curious if you or anyone else has the answer to this question... it seems that Howard concentrates more about helping the undeserved, how much of the latest class matched into IM or FP? And how much does the school value research?

I applied last year and was complete around mid september. However I did not get an interview invite. I am reapplying and just wondering, what does Howard consider in applicants, and how do they gauge an applicants want to work in underserved regions? What kind of experiences do applicants who get interviews and get accepted have previous to their application? I am just wondering to make sure I do not waste the $75 secondary application fee but I really do want to go to howard as I have a passion for underserved regions

I applied last year and was complete around mid september. However I did not get an interview invite. I am reapplying and just wondering, what does Howard consider in applicants, and how do they gauge an applicants want to work in underserved regions? What kind of experiences do applicants who get interviews and get accepted have previous to their application? I am just wondering to make sure I do not waste the $75 secondary application fee but I really do want to go to howard as I have a passion for underserved regions

I'm pretty sure they would like to see experience in community health clinics and or free clinics because these places provide health care to the underserved.

Hey guys,
I know that applying early is important and all that jazz. What is considered "late" for Howard? If they don't even send out the secondaries until Aug 15, they can't possibly be close to making invite decisions at that point, which would explain why they don't start interviewing applicants until late September.

For those of y'all who say you're committed to the underserved: I can tell you now if your community service, volunteer, and activities do not reflect your commitment, you will have a hard time proving to the committee otherwise no matter what your race. Since it is an HBCU, if you have jitters about applying as a "Non AA" and have no background in working with the underserved, it will create an additional obstacle for you no matter how you may feel. Translation: you may think you'll get in because of their stats and the fact that you have a 4.0 and a 45 on the MCAT, but if you don't have that background, it's still gonna raise an eyebrow.
That much I know.:idea:

Just got a secondary...does everyone get one or do they screen?

I just got mine. It's going out today. Yeah everyone gets one.

poodlekiss: great question. i submitted waaaay late last year [read: pushing the deadline] and still got an interview. i wouldn't chance it though. sooner is always better.

This has probably been asked before, but here goes.

What does Howard look for in applicants. Do they select a lot of African Americans? I'm not African American but I do have roots in Africa. Should I consider applying?

I looked for the other "official" Howard thread, but couldn't find it, so I am going to post on this one. I am trying to write these essays, and especially for the "have you ever worked with the medically underserved/disadvantaged" question I was wondering how many words is everyone writing? I am having trouble keeping it to a normal length....I have done extensive volunteering in these situations, and I really want them to gauge the extent to the passion I have for working with the underserved, but I also don't want them to be like oh shoot...this essay is soooooo long, I'm not gonna read all that, or read it and be super bored... I read through all the instructions, and I didn't see any character/word limits...What has everyone else done?

Just writing to express my support to the students applying for the Class of 2015. No matter where you are going or thinking about going to medical school, get all your applications in as soon as possible. If anyone has any Howard specific questions you can PM me.

I am a M2 here at Howard and I love it. 2nd year is no joke so it may take me a little while to respond but I will get to it because there were those who did it for me.

Good luck everone! :xf: I want to go here sooooo bad!

Hi Everyone, please help!

I turned in my AMCAs application a bit late (August 10). It's still not verified yet. Does that mean I will not be getting any secondary from Howard until my application is verified? Thanks a bunch!:)

I am in the process of filling out my secondary and I plan to mail it tomorrow. What are the average MCAT/GPA for Howard?

Not as important for Howard, they look for commitment to historically underserved communities.

I am trying to write these essays, and especially for the "have you ever worked with the medically underserved/disadvantaged" question I was wondering how many words everyone is writing? I am having trouble keeping it to a normal length....I have done extensive volunteering in these situations, and I really want them to gauge the extent of the passion I have for working with the underserved, but I also don't want them to be like oh shoot...this essay is so long, I'm not gonna read all that, or read it and be super bored... I read through all the instructions, and I didn't see any character/word limits, unless I am being really dumb and just didn't see it...What has everyone else done?

Well that stuff was all over my application. If they read my primary app, they won't be able to help but see it. I didn't want to say the same things over. I just summarized in a few paragraphs.

I'd do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

I sent in my AMCAS application a bit late (August 10) so my Amcas application is not verified yet. I was wondering if Howard will only send out secondary to those who have their Amcas application verified. :confused::(

I sent in my AMCAS application a bit late (August 10) so my Amcas application is not verified yet. I was wondering if Howard will only send out secondary to those who have their Amcas application verified. :confused::(

I submitted my AMCAS around the same time, August 9th, and just received Howard's secondary. I'm sure yours is on the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.