2010-2011 Louisiana State University - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

In the space provided identify briefly your most fulfilling experience in:

Healthcare
Leadership
Research
Volunteer

255 character limit for each.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got the secondary e-mail! I would have sent a PM but the site crashed before I could access the stage 2 application... :(

First Question: On the LSUHSC-Shreveport website it states that applicants do not have to complete all required courses before applying, but on the secondary you have to type in the courses you have taken to fulfill the requirements. There is no way to indicate that a course has not been completed yet. I am just missing one upper level science course that will be completed by December. Should I just leave it out? Or would a 2000 level genetics class be OK?

Second Question: I don't have any research experience. How much will this hurt my chances?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
First Question: On the LSUHSC-Shreveport website it states that applicants do not have to complete all required courses before applying, but on the secondary you have to type in the courses you have taken to fulfill the requirements. There is no way to indicate that a course has not been completed yet. I am just missing one upper level science course that will be completed by December. Should I just leave it out? Or would a 2000 level genetics class be OK?

Second Question: I don't have any research experience. How much will this hurt my chances?

Thanks!!!

alright, if i remember correctly, shreveport requires 1 year of Biology, 1 year of Bio Lab, 1 year gen chem + lab, 1 year of ochem + lab, 1 year of physics, 1 year of physics labs.....and is it 2 additional upper level biology courses? so if you're about to be a senior, you should have at least Micro and Genetics already, if not biochem and cell bio too. so on the secondary, id just put the grades for the classes ive taken already.

i didnt have one minute of research, and ill be starting med school at shreveport in a couple of weeks.
good luck!!!

ps- the secondary is still a drop down menu for the courses and grades and stuff right?

p.p.s- are you not a science major? i realized that might be a possibility after i wrote all this.

alright, if i remember correctly, shreveport requires 1 year of Biology, 1 year of Bio Lab, 1 year gen chem + lab, 1 year of ochem + lab, 1 year of physics, 1 year of physics labs.....and is it 2 additional upper level biology courses? so if you're about to be a senior, you should have at least Micro and Genetics already, if not biochem and cell bio too. so on the secondary, id just put the grades for the classes ive taken already.

i didnt have one minute of research, and ill be starting med school at shreveport in a couple of weeks.
good luck!!!

ps- the secondary is still a drop down menu for the courses and grades and stuff right?

p.p.s- are you not a science major? i realized that might be a possibility after i wrote all this.

I just put my grades for genetics, as well as h phys, for my 2 additional upper level science classes. I wasn't positive that genetics would count as an upper level because it is only a 2000 level class. I am a biology major but my schedule has been filled with history classes (for my minor) and classes for my interdisciplinary honors program. I'm taking biochem and 2 other upper level biology classes this upcoming semester. I'm a little behind on science classes but they will be finished after 2 more semesters. These last 2 semesters will just be mostly science classes. And my university doesn’t require us to take micro.

Thanks… that makes me feel a lot better!

Yep, the secondary is still a drop down menu.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Hi! I am applying to medical school this year using EDP. I applied to one of the two LSUs using it and was wondering about Step 1 scores. If I get an interview can I found out about average Step 1 score at the school at the interview or is that a secret? I know that these two schools have different curriculums, so I wanted to know the average score or pass/fail rate to help me in my decision process.
Thanks!

hai guise. Is LSU-Shreveport the same as NO in that if you're from OS there's really no point in even sending in a secondary?

hai guise. Is LSU-Shreveport the same as NO in that if you're from OS there's really no point in even sending in a secondary?

You are correct. If you are OOS don't bother applying unless one of your parents went to medical school here or if you are an MD/PhD applicant. Wouldn't want you to waste your money :)

If you have been working in state for a year, then you can claim residency. Pain in the @$$ tho to go through the whole process.

Any update with Shreveport? When I check my status page, it tells me absolutely nothing. Should it show that they received my payment and/or LOR's?

Good luck to everyone who applied! :luck:

Best of luck to ya'll in the upcoming process. It's certainly frustrating and almost equally mysterious, but it truly does all work out in the end.

Shreveport was a great place to go to medical school, and I wouldn't have gone anywhere else.

got the long-awaited complete email today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Protip:

The application cycle prioritizes rural candidates first, in terms of "who gets the first interviews." But...The adcom does a great job of keeping slots open for their later strong candidates from larger cities.

I interviewed in MARCH, then got an acceptance letter 2 weeks later. It is now September. Relax.

Received an interview invite to lsu-Shreveport today... Supposidly they invited multiple people with the same day, and applicants are given interview days on a first-come first-served basis

Received an interview invite to lsu-Shreveport today... Supposidly they invited multiple people on the same day, and applicants are given interview days on a first-come first-served basis

Yah got the email invite too. Interesting system. I'm just glad the interviews start after 11. I've got a looooooong drive. But I'm excited to see the school.

Yah got the email invite too. Interesting system. I'm just glad the interviews start after 11. I've got a looooooong drive. But I'm excited to see the school.

Yea I'm excited to go up there ... really happy they got back to me so early

Received an interview invite to lsu-Shreveport today... Supposidly they invited multiple people with the same day, and applicants are given interview days on a first-come first-served basis

Not too much activity on this thread... but congrats to you guys! I received an interview invite as well that same day! :)

Has anyone NOT heard back from Shreveport for an interview? Got my e-mail of completion on September 14th but haven't received an interview e-mail.

Also, is there a particular day that Shreveport sends out invites?

I know multiple highly-qualified applicants who haven't heard yet about interviews at Shreveport. No need to worry.

Has anyone NOT heard back from Shreveport for an interview? Got my e-mail of completion on September 14th but haven't received an interview e-mail.

Also, is there a particular day that Shreveport sends out invites?

On the Shreveport interview day....

1) Everyone interviews briefly with Kennedy
2) The candidates are split up, sent all over the school, and all interview with different members of the admissions committee. They grade the interview on the same objective scale.

As I said previously, the candidates are chosen on location in addition to overall qualifications. Shreveport specifically focuses on trying to recruit people likely to go into primary care, since that's what makes them look good. Don't worry, with Shreveport, a March interview is just as "good" as an October interview.... and I'm proof of that.

Does LSU Shreveport do a student hosting program for interview invites?

Do we need to bring anything else to the interview day?
I guess there's no need for a purse, pens, paper etc?

Also, does anyone know how many applicants are there during an interview day?

I'm so nervous!

I'm so nervous!
i brought a professional-looking portfolio, that had about 5 copies of my current resume (just in case they didn't have it, or in case you updated it recently), paper, and a nice pen (in case you want to write anything down after asking a question)... but I was the only person who brought that. so i guess it really doesn't matter. i applied through early-decision this year and there where about 12 people, including myself on that day

Has anyone received an interview invite recently? It's getting hard to not feel discouraged after I've been complete since august :(

I'm just patiently waiting...

Interviews are ongoing. The current students receive emails outlining who is interviewing during the upcoming week.

I usually stop by and meet/greet, but i haven't been able to do so this year. I just had time to grab a diet dr. pepper and bolt on the way to seeing patients. I'll be around tomorrow, so I guess I'll pop in. I'll be wearing green scrubs.

Best of luck. Keep the faith - Remember, I interviewed in March, and was accepted 2 weeks later. It's OCTOBER.

I got an interview invite email on 9/23 to schedule it as a first come first serve basis, from dates 10/12/10 to 12/7/10...so maybe you'll schedule for sometime after that??

Has anyone received an interview invite recently? It's getting hard to not feel discouraged after I've been complete since august :(

I'm just patiently waiting...

I'm in the same boat. I don't know how often they send out interview e-mails, but I have't heard of any new interviews since Sept 24th. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the responses!

I'm in the same boat. I don't know how often they send out interview e-mails, but I have't heard of any new interviews since Sept 24th. Good Luck!!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I feel like they sent out a big batch of interview invites at first and haven't sent any out since then. Hopefully we won't have to wait until the spring to hear something from them :xf:

Good luck to you too!

I'm so nervous!

My friend interviewed last week and said there were about 13 people on her interview day. Hope that helps! Good luck! Is yours soon?

Just got another status email. Still in consideration for a possible interview. :xf:

Found out that I was offered admission via the status email! Seems my letter got lost/delayed on the trip out of Shreveport.

Just got another status email. Still in consideration for a possible interview. :xf:

I'm right there with you man. Hopefully we get interviews soon! :xf:

Found out that I was offered admission via the status email! Seems my letter got lost/delayed on the trip out of Shreveport.

Congrats!!! That's gotta be a good feeling!

Yes mine was Oct. 12th and I got in today! My letter took an extra day to get to my smaller town than my friends from the bigger cities... but I also got a status email today.
:love:

Interviewed on the 12th of october and just got my letter of acceptance yesterday! It feels great, but to everyone who hasn't heard anything, don't worry they do rolling admissions. Their final deadline for secondaries hasn't even come yet.

Congrats eject, lsu11, and nola122! I hope y'all decide on Shreveport over New Orleans, it'd be great to be classmates with you. What's the word on the street about places to live??

Shreveport doesn't happen to do a second look type thing for accepted students, does it?

Shreveport doesn't happen to do a second look type thing for accepted students, does it?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but once a medical school offers you acceptance, they won't revoke that invitation. Unless, of course, you make less than a C or you are arrested. From what I've heard, those are the only two stipulations. Just put on the cruise control until August 2011...

I interviewed on Nov. 2 and recieved my acceptance letter Nov. 9! I'm sooo excited! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but once a medical school offers you acceptance, they won't revoke that invitation. Unless, of course, you make less than a C or you are arrested. From what I've heard, those are the only two stipulations. Just put on the cruise control until August 2011...

By second look, I meant an event for all accepted students before May 15... some schools do it, some don't, I guess.

Finally got an interview invite tonight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.