2010-2011 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't think I'd be the first one.

does anyone know about how many OOS students are accepted each year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few. Check the website, I think it's about 10.

Actually, here:

more.gif
Total applications received for 2008: 2,666 (526 in-state/2140 out-of-state)
more.gif
Average GPA of accepted class: 3.7
more.gif
Average MCAT of accepted class: 30.1
more.gif
Total number interviewed: 429 (358 in-state/71 out-of-state)
more.gif
Total number accepted to the 2010 entering class: 155 (130 in-state/25 out-of-state)---

Straight from their site

Anyone know when MUSC typically starts sending out secondary applications?

Same, sadly I have to wait a little while for my school to send my rec letter so there is not much point in turning it in yet :(

Me too! It is a frustrating feeling because the letter of rec is largely out of our control. I also dislike how we basically redo the primary for the secondary.

If you are OOS and not applying for close ties do you need to fill out any additional forms?

good luck everyone! btw, does anyone have any information about Match results for recent MUSC classes?

I'm an in-state applicant and haven't received a secondary app yet from them and my primary was complete almost 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if I should have gotten one yet...

Does anyone know if MUSC takes a bit more time to send out secondaries and interview invites? Thanks for the help!

In 2008 I got the interview invite before ever receiving a secondary. They will interview you if you are instate and hit a certain GPA/MCAT combined score. I do not think interviews are awarded based on secondaries. If I recall, there are no large essays--just a couple of simple questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just some more information about admission at MUSC as I understand it.

You are interviewed three times by three different people for 15min to an hour--one doctor which has no access to your files and no prior knowledge of you and two people on the admissions committee (possibly a medical student).

Everyone is turned into a number. The formula is something like 25%--GPA, 25%--MCAT, 50%--(LOR, humanitarian/leadership/artistic accomplishments, interview performance, etc). The final score is then adjusted by something they call "added value", which are things they specifically value--growing up in a small town, being on a college sports team, re-applicant, masters degree, and so forth. Notably, you must have a balanced application to be accepted.

Since they know roughly where the cut-off number for admission is based on last year, they will accept you within a month after your interviews if your score is a certain amount above this cutt-off. Everyone else is put on hold until April.

Last edited:

You are interviewed by three people for 15min to an hour--one doctor which has no access to your files and no prior knowledge of you and two people on the admissions committee (possibly a medical student).

Everyone is turned into a number. The formula is something like 25% GPA 25% MCAT 50% LOR, humanitarian/leadership/artistic accomplishments, interview performance, etc. The final score is then adjusted by something they call "added value", which are things they specifically value--growing up in a small town, being on a college sports team, re-applicant, masters degree, and so forth. Notably, you must have a balanced application to be accepted.

Since they know roughly where the cutoff number for admission is based on last year, they will accept you within a month after your interviews if your score is a certain amount above this cutt-off. Everyone else is put on hold until April.

Thanks for the response, you rock!

Has anyone received an interview invite yet from MUSC? When do they usually begin their interviews? I haven't heard a thing from them yet...should I be nervous?

Has anyone received an interview invite yet from MUSC? When do they usually begin their interviews? I haven't heard a thing from them yet...should I be nervous?

I wouldn't be nervous yet. Usually if someone has heard they will post. I got my secondary awhile ago and filled it out but I am oos so I won't hear till Nov. or after christmas or something like that when the oos files are reviewed.

I don't think interview invites will come until late august judging by the previous threads. They look at ED applicants first before even looking at regular decisions

You are interviewed three times by three different people for 15min to an hour--one doctor which has no access to your files and no prior knowledge of you and two people on the admissions committee (possibly a medical student).

Everyone is turned into a number. The formula is something like 25%--GPA, 25%--MCAT, 50%--(LOR, humanitarian/leadership/artistic accomplishments, interview performance, etc). The final score is then adjusted by something they call "added value", which are things they specifically value--growing up in a small town, being on a college sports team, re-applicant, masters degree, and so forth. Notably, you must have a balanced application to be accepted.

Since they know roughly where the cut-off number for admission is based on last year, they will accept you within a month after your interviews if your score is a certain amount above this cutt-off. Everyone else is put on hold until April.

Some corrections to the above:

The scoring is 25% GPA, 25% MCAT, 25% interview impression, 25% other--all converted in some way into a numeric score.

Only one of the three people who interview you will be on the admissions committee. That person discusses your file with the other people on admissions and then your final score is determined and placed into the computer.

Has anyone applying for early decision received an interview invitation yet?

If only 1 of the 3 people that interview you is on the admissions committee, what are the other 2 for? Does the Adcomm one talk to the other 2 interviewers to get an impression? Do they talk to anyone or fill anything out so that they have an input?

If only 1 of the 3 people that interview you is on the admissions committee, what are the other 2 for? Does the Adcomm one talk to the other 2 interviewers to get an impression? Do they talk to anyone or fill anything out so that they have an input?

I know they have a form to fill out. I do not know if they actually talk to the ad. com.

Hm. Interesting. Anyone have any idea when they send out interview invites? I know they are probably dealing with the EDP people right now....I am getting anxious.

I'm getting anxious too! Does anyone know if they usually call or mail interview invitations?

Anyone hear of anyone getting offered an interview? I was pumped the other day to see a big envelope from MUSC in the mail, but turned out to be MD/PhD recruitment flier :mad:

i'm thinking about applying to this school. are there any essays on the secondary?

i'm thinking about applying to this school. are there any essays on the secondary?

Essays, no. There are some short answer questions. (You have three lines on the form.)

If it has been more than 6 months since you finished your bachelor's degree, tell us your principal
employment since that time (List whether halftime or more and dates):

What area of medicine do you expect to pursue at this stage?

In what region of the country do you plan to practice? Explain your reasons for choosing this area:

Describe any achievements or experiences that you believe make you a unique student.

Essays, no. There are some short answer questions. (You have three lines on the form.)

If it has been more than 6 months since you finished your bachelor's degree, tell us your principal
employment since that time (List whether halftime or more and dates):

What area of medicine do you expect to pursue at this stage?

In what region of the country do you plan to practice? Explain your reasons for choosing this area:

Describe any achievements or experiences that you believe make you a unique student.

thank you!

Do they accept non traditional degree students with a GPA of at least 3.2

Any news on invites yet? I see from previous threads that they usually don't come out until September but was just wondering if they have changed it.

Oh and I believe if there is a date written in the "Comments" section of you online status report, then that is your interview date.

Please post if you get an interview invite this week; I can FEEL that they are going to start giving them out haha

Ahhhh I want to go here really bad. Is it weird to have a state school as #1? I live here already and I LOVE Charleston. I work there now, and it makes me so jealous to see the incoming class starting. ugh. 1 more year (hopefully).

Ahhhh I want to go here really bad. Is it weird to have a state school as #1? I live here already and I LOVE Charleston. I work there now, and it makes me so jealous to see the incoming class starting. ugh. 1 more year (hopefully).

I don't think so!

MUSC is one of my top choices, I've lived in the area my whole life, but went to undergrad up North and would love to come back!

I'm also originally from SC and MUSC is def. my top choice. Question for oyu guys though. Is anyone on here trying for early decision? if so has anyone receieved an interview invite yet? I know they're supposed to be sent out by next tuesday.

I'm also originally from SC and MUSC is def. my top choice. Question for oyu guys though. Is anyone on here trying for early decision? if so has anyone receieved an interview invite yet? I know they're supposed to be sent out by next tuesday.

Oh boy, they haven't even sent out the EDP interviews yet?? Ugh! It is such a tease working here...Just makes me even more impatient.

Hey y'all - current student at MUSC here - I'll be answering questions periodically throughout the application process for you when I have time away from studying. If you have a question for me - please bold face - FADINGIN: "Your Question" for me so that I can sort through them rather quickly.

Best of luck to all of you this cycle.:luck:

Hey y'all - current student at MUSC here - I'll be answering questions periodically throughout the application process for you when I have time away from studying. If you have a question for me - please bold face - FADINGIN: "Your Question" for me so that I can sort through them rather quickly.

Best of luck to all of you this cycle.:luck:

FADINGIN: "Your Question"

Are most people living within walking distance of MUSC these days or are a lot in West Ashely or Mt. P?

The parking situation at MUSC seems to be awful ever since they started the drug discovery/bioengineering buildings so wondering if it would be worth it to spend the extra cash to live downtown to avoid having to commute/park

Are most people living within walking distance of MUSC these days or are a lot in West Ashely or Mt. P?

The parking situation at MUSC seems to be awful ever since they started the drug discovery/bioengineering buildings so wondering if it would be worth it to spend the extra cash to live downtown to avoid having to commute/park

The living arrangements for everyone really depends how much you want to pay. I currently live downtown about 2 blocks from campus in a 3BR 2.5BA and we pay 2200/mo. A lot of my classmates live in this area but there are some that choose to pay the parking fees and suffer through traffic and flooding by living on James Island or in West Ashley.

In all, I would say the majority of people live downtown, though we are all paying the price!

Hope that helps!

The living arrangements for everyone really depends how much you want to pay. I currently live downtown about 2 blocks from campus in a 3BR 2.5BA and we pay 2200/mo. A lot of my classmates live in this area but there are some that choose to pay the parking fees and suffer through traffic and flooding by living on James Island or in West Ashley.

In all, I would say the majority of people live downtown, though we are all paying the price!

Hope that helps!

Sounds good, for the people living downtown do most live sort of up ashley/rutledge towards the direction of colonial lake?

Or do people live more down Calhoun on the side-streets that a bunch of C of C people live on?

Now for an actual MUSC medschool question:

What sort of lecture materials are provided? Do you get complete note sets? Video recording of lectures? Audio recording? etc?

did you guys receive a complete email from this school? haven't heard from them since i submitted the secondary.

did you guys receive a complete email from this school? haven't heard from them since i submitted the secondary.

I've heard nothing and I submitted my secondary 7/8. Though, I'm OOS, so that could have something to do with it. You can check your status through a link on the original email sent. It says my stuff is received but nothing else really.

I've heard nothing and I submitted my secondary 7/8. Though, I'm OOS, so that could have something to do with it. You can check your status through a link on the original email sent. It says my stuff is received but nothing else really.

I could be wrong but I don't think they review oos until nov.

I could be wrong but I don't think they review oos until nov.

Yes, I meant to mention that, too. On the status check page is specifically says they review OOS files in Nov and Dec for spring interview dates. So, they may not even consider us complete til they take a first look at our files then.

Sounds good, for the people living downtown do most live sort of up ashley/rutledge towards the direction of colonial lake?

Or do people live more down Calhoun on the side-streets that a bunch of C of C people live on?

Now for an actual MUSC medschool question:

What sort of lecture materials are provided? Do you get complete note sets? Video recording of lectures? Audio recording? etc?

Our curriculum for first years and on is divided into different blocks. For first years you have 7 of them, 3 in the fall and 4 in the spring. Each block you get a prepared 'syllabus' which is about 600 pages front and back full of all of your notes and lecture slides. You can supplement these notes with the books they 'require' you to purchase.

As far as video and audio, MUSC utilizes a service called Tegrity, which records each lecture slide presentation and audio of it, as well as your lecturer's doodling on the slides (they have a tablet they write on during lecture). Tegrity also has free apps for your iPod touch/iPhone and blackberrys to view your lectures on the go. We also utilize blackboard 9 which has your full academic calendar (you also get a full printed copy for each block) and has all of your lecture slides and syllabus in .pdf and word files.

For first year, curriculum is divided into 4 themes, molecules/energetics, structure/function, homeostasis/regulation, and fundamentals in patient care where you will work in the sim lab and get your fundamentals of patient skills (vital taking, interviews, etc). That begins with standardized patients (actors) and then eventually patients in the hospital.

And as far as people living downtown, most of us are closer to calhoun and the crossway, because rent near colonial lake is often times very expensive. The closer you get to the battery, the bigger and more historical the houses are which drives up the rent substantially.

Our curriculum for first years and on is divided into different blocks. For first years you have 7 of them, 3 in the fall and 4 in the spring. .

With the move to the block scheduling, does that mean MUSC doesn't have the "hell weeks" anymore where you would have exams in 4 different classes in 4 days or whatever?

With the move to the block scheduling, does that mean MUSC doesn't have the "hell weeks" anymore where you would have exams in 4 different classes in 4 days or whatever?

What happens every 5 weeks is a week called SDS week, you literally get an entire 4 days of the week to do all of your own studying and put it all together. MUSC isn't broken up into "classes" per se. What happens is, on that Friday you take 2 parts of an exam and a practical for anatomy. Just picture a 150 multiple choice test and then a lab portion. The questions are all assessed and a score is reported. >90% is a High Pass (Honors), >70% is pass and <70% is a fail. At the end of the semester, for transcript and CV purposes you are assessed scores in all of the 4 different themes based on how well you did on those portions of the exams. The monday of that week is your OSCE - or patient skills exam for a brief period (interviews, vitals, etc.) with patients and standardized patients.

I know this sounds extremely complex but it really isn't. You receive a score for each block exam, and also get reported theme scores.

As far as interview tips - they pair you with interviewees who have similar interests - for example, I worked for six months as a GI Tech and performed colonoscopies, and also mentioned on my application that I like working with children, so I interviewed with a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. My major was Experimental Psychology, so I also interviewed with the associate dean of students - who happened to be a psychiatrist.

Just be yourself when you go in, MUSC was one of the school that I went to that I really enjoyed the interview compared to some others where it was simply intimidating. Wherever you interview, however, it is important to look at interview reviews and questions on the SDN sticky - because that will help you prepare a lot, especially if you interview late in the cycle.

The interviews are really laid back and the staff here - as well as the admissions committee is a great group of people who work their tails off to select not only the brightest - but the right people for the job. This years first year class is a testament to that.

Feel free to PM me for more specific questions if you would like.

I'm off to lecture so I can head to Columbia and watch my Gamecocks play tonight! GO COCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.