2010-2011 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community? (Suggested 250 words or less)

2. Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai. (Suggested 200 words or less)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can any non-jewish students at Sinai tell me about their experiences there? Trying to figure out my school list, and wanted to know if not being jewish made any difference in terms of fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
The hospital was originally founded to serve the local Jewish community, sort of like the Catholic hospitals at the time. I don't think the school openly recruits Jewish people the same way Einstein does, but who knows. A decent amount of students and attendings are Jewish, but that's true of a lot of medical institutions.

The hospital was originally founded to serve the local Jewish community, sort of like the Catholic hospitals at the time. I don't think the school openly recruits Jewish people the same way Einstein does, but who knows. A decent amount of students and attendings are Jewish, but that's true of a lot of medical institutions.

I'd agree that there's a slight Jewish vibe from Sinai students/faculty. But...I think this somewhat less a fact that Sinai was founded to serve both Jewish people and residents of Harlem...but more to do with the fact that Sinai is in NYC. This is pretty much jew mecca. I think there are more Jewish people in the 5 boroughs than there are in Israel. :)

Einstein definitely has a much more active Jewish feel than Sinai. Although, I can say I'm Jewish (well, part Jew), so maybe that's why they accepted me?

I'd agree that there's a slight Jewish vibe from Sinai students/faculty. But...I think this somewhat less a fact that Sinai was founded to serve both Jewish people and residents of Harlem...but more to do with the fact that Sinai is in NYC. This is pretty much jew mecca. I think there are more Jewish people in the 5 boroughs than there are in Israel. :)

Einstein definitely has a much more active Jewish feel than Sinai. Although, I can say I'm Jewish (well, part Jew), so maybe that's why they accepted me?

Agreed, from what I've seen, NYU and Columbia share a similar percentage of Jewish students.

Jew mecca...haha.

Agreed, from what I've seen, NYU and Columbia share a similar percentage of Jewish students.

Jew mecca...haha.

Tis true. NYC is home to the largest population of Jewish people outside of Israel.

Tis true. NYC is home to the largest population of Jewish people outside of Israel.

Which either explains or is a result of the fabulous bagel options available here.

OY VEY.

One of my wing and a prayer schools... Good luck everyone! :)

I'd like to apply to Sinai, also. I wonder, though, when you all fill out the "chances" worksheet. What kind of chances do you consider "wing and a prayer" 5%, 10%, 1/2?

I'd like to apply to Sinai, also. I wonder, though, when you all fill out the "chances" worksheet. What kind of chances do you consider "wing and a prayer" 5%, 10%, 1/2?

I would say it's something like 32.33 repeating, of course, percentage of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it's something like 32.33 repeating, of course, percentage of getting in.

Wow, you have a high requirement for application. How high of stats would you need to get a 32% chance of getting into the more competitive schools?

Wow, you have a high requirement for application. How high of stats would you need to get a 32% chance of getting into the more competitive schools?

I don't think you understood my joke :laugh:

In all seriousness, I have no clue.

Sorry, all application filling and MCAT-taking and no leisure has made Ed a dull boy.

No worries.

Looking at your stats you have a great shot, although I can't put a number on it because it's hard to predict with any top tier school.

Edit: Also if anyone has any questions about Sinai, feel free to post here or PM me.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am new to this thread. Does anyone know if Sinai is rolling or not? I have everything else done and is currently stuck working on my personal statement.

I wonder if people really send in their applications by June 1st.

Hey guys, I am new to this thread. Does anyone know if Sinai is rolling or not? I have everything else done and is currently stuck working on my personal statement.

I wonder if people really send in their applications by June 1st.

Sinai is rolling and it's definitely advantageous to apply early, interview early, etc. They give out more acceptances early on and place a larger percentage of late interviewees on the waitlist. I'm not sure when I found out (maybe mid or late November, I interviewed mid-October), but it was an awesome early acceptance to have. Basically took a lot of the pressure off future interviews and even allowed me to cancel/pass on two (saving some money, hassle, etc.).

So, apply early if you can!

Last edited:
Waiting on my primary because of dumb bureaucratic mix ups...When will the secondary be up? Definitely looking to be complete ASAP!

Waiting on my primary because of dumb bureaucratic mix ups...When will the secondary be up? Definitely looking to be complete ASAP!

According to my gmail archives, I received the MSSM secondary via email on July 7th last year.

I'd say I'm a 5% chance. I'm just applying because I'd love to go here, and I thought, what the heck, it's just money. ;)

The funny thing is that.....almost every US allopathic school has an acceptance rate under 10%. So it's literally a crapshoot everywhere unfortunately...even with great stats.

Apply broadly. But, look at it like this. As long as you got your base of safeties and matches...(and money isn't a huge issue).....why not apply for and try at all of your "dream" schools. Who knows what might happen? And, if you're only going to do this process once, you might as well go all out the first time around.

That's always my advice :)

I completely agree. As long as you have a good range of schools that you are applying to (unlike some people on SDN who have good stats and assume they will get in everywhere, so they only apply to top tier schools), then apply to as many reaches as possible that seem like a good location/fit for you. Who knows, the school may see that you are a great fit in spite of having had a low probability of acceptance.

Is mount sinai one of those schools we don't have to wait for the email invite? does anyone know the list of schools for which this is true... this is driving me crazy......!!!!!!!!

just got the secondary...

on the preliminary questions page it gives options for what program you're applying to but there isn't an option for just MD on my site...anyone else having this problem??

thanks!

on the preliminary questions page it gives options for what program you're applying to but there isn't an option for just MD on my site...anyone else having this problem??

thanks!

uhhh i have this too, wth are we suppose to choose? haha

thanks!

Yes, I'm having the exact same problem :( Maybe it's actually one of those programs but with a different name?

I just got the secondary as well. There's no selection for the MD program and it won't let you move beyond that page without selecting something...

i chose the "humanities and medicine" program, but thats not it..

just called in- they know they have a problem and they are trying to get it fixed.. haha i guess just be patient

myusernam3,
let us know what they say to do, cause I put the same thing

i chose the "humanities and medicine" program, but thats not it..
Yeah I did a quick google search of the humanities and medicine program. That is their early assurance program for sophomores and a limited number of juniors.

yup no regular MD option for me either.

Do you guys think they screened?

oh crap i hit humanties and medicine thinking i could easily switch to reg MD after they fixed the problem... it doesn't look like it... what are you guys gonna do??

yup no regular MD option for me either.

Do you guys think they screened?
According to last year's MSAR, no schools in NYS screen applicants before sending out secondaries. They take your money first and then screen you out!

haha i did that too and minorly freaked out!

In upper right hand corner once you are logged in, you can "update my answers" and can change back and forth :)

But MD option is not there yet..

haha i did that too and minorly freaked out!

In upper right hand corner once you are logged in, you can "update my answers" and can change back and forth :)

But MD option is not there yet..

omg ur a life saver brit. i was really freaking out there haha...still no md option!

since they dont screen do you think theyd care if I starting filling this before getting an invite?

second e-mail from Sinai. apparently they sent us the "test site" -- up and working!

Received and submitted. Sinai showed me interview love last year, lets hope it happens again.

When I first went through the "fake" Mt Sinai application and picked Humanities and Medicine and then got to the essay prompts, I was about to just withdraw my application.

I think they were both 750 words. :scared:

1 essay x 250 words on a topic I've already written about is kind of more bearable.

is there anything unique about this school?

is anyone else having a problem where the embark system says you've already signed up for an account? I know I have not done this, and I'm unable to login. help?

is anyone else having a problem where the embark system says you've already signed up for an account? I know I have not done this, and I'm unable to login. help?

Yes, I had the same problem. For the life of me I still cannot figure out when/where I registered before. I just tried a couple of my passwords that I frequently use, and one ended up working. Hopefully that will work for you too. GL

Yes, I had the same problem. For the life of me I still cannot figure out when/where I registered before. I just tried a couple of my passwords that I frequently use, and one ended up working. Hopefully that will work for you too. GL

this worked! Thank you! The only thing I can think of is that I must have used it to apply somewhere as an undergrad.

Status
Not open for further replies.