2010-2011 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

The face of medicine is changing and our goal is to provide physicians prepared to serve diverse populations. Describe one or more experiences you have had with people of different racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic backgrounds or belief systems than your own, and what impact this had on you.
(600 words or less)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hope I get off the waitlist here :xf: otherwise I'll be applying again this cycle :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
wish they'd be friendly to ohio residents with 28 mcats....*sigh*...

This year they're requiring anatomy and biochem prior to matriculation for the first time, so this school is a no-go for me.

Yeah I'm reading that you need to take anatomy which is weird to me.

is it worth applying here. cali resident 29O , 3.8sci 3.85cgpa ?

This year they're requiring anatomy and biochem prior to matriculation for the first time, so this school is a no-go for me.

As someone who's in this year's entering class, this comes as a surprise to me but I don't think it's going to be a major hurdle. I mean they only require you to take it before you matriculate - so you could take it after you've been accepted or during the summer before you enroll. Also, every premed that I know has already taken biochemistry and some component of anatomy - even if the schools don't require it. If you feel OSU is good match, I say go for it and apply - just take it before you enroll.

As someone who's in this year's entering class, this comes as a surprise to me but I don't think it's going to be a major hurdle. I mean they only require you to take it before you matriculate - so you could take it after you've been accepted or during the summer before you enroll. Also, every premed that I know has already taken biochemistry and some component of anatomy - even if the schools don't require it. If you feel OSU is good match, I say go for it and apply - just take it before you enroll.
I haven't taken biochemistry either, and I graduated. If OSU was in my area I'd consider it since it's a decent match in terms of research ranking, but isn't.

The biochem requirement puts me in a tricky situation.

I took a course called "Biomolecular Interactions" that covered metabolism, protein, nucleic acid, and lipid chemistry. It didn't include photosynthesis, but had some stuff like a section on biotechnology instead. I'll have to call up and see if this meets the new requirement. I don't really want to take a course where I already know 3/4 of the material going in, but I will if I have to.

anyone know how admission into their MD/MPH program works?

wish they'd be friendly to ohio residents with 28 mcats....*sigh*...

How about Toledo and Wright State?

For future applicants, a word: getting an interview at OSU is pretty tough. You have to have great numbers, and you have to have a solid background in service. Your altruism essay has to be good. But once you get an interview, you have a 50-60% chance of getting in. :luck: to all! I won't be at OSU, but I won't be far (just up by the lake).

Members don't see this ad :)
toledo and wright state are definitely on my radar, i'd be happy attending any of my state schools :)

Maybe the biochem and anatomy requirements will scare off allllll those 30+ mcat people with 8000 community service hours and they'll be forced to offer me an interview hahah...:xf:

Yeah the biochem and anatomy requirements being sprung out this year really suck. Why would you throw out two requirements when people have only a year left to take the classes??

Biochem won't be such a problem for me but anatomy with a lab would be a pain in the ass to take. I mean I've taken physiology already so what the hell now I need a lab with an anatomy class? Not cool at all.

I haven't taken biochemistry either, and I graduated. If OSU was in my area I'd consider it since it's a decent match in terms of research ranking, but isn't.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that when researching schools. Must have used old MSAR data or something. (thought I was using 2011-2012 data) Time to withdraw from Ohio State I guess.. Kinda bummed, seemed like a cool place and a good "match-safety" school.

I feel like part of the way engineers get screwed in this process is that we normally take the standard 5 prereq courses (O,G,P,B,E), but it gets much more difficult to take advanced courses in B or BCH because not many of us are in a major that allows that much extra classtaking. BioCHem actually ALWAYS conflicts with ChemE courses at my university. Obnoxious.

Does anyone know how strict they are on the anatomy + lab requirement?

It's kind of a strange requirement because I assume a lot of people haven't taken it and it could really cut down on their app pool. I haven't heard of any other schools requiring this - has anyone heard?

Last edited:
According to the OSU website, the human anatomy course that I took (without lab) is acceptable. So they might not be that strict as they sound about the lab component, so maybe contact OSU directly.

Last edited:
where are you guys getting the info that you need to take an anatomy class?

If I get the chance this fall, I'm going to go their admissions office and ask them to post a clarification about the anatomy and lab requirement. I'd imagine that some colleges don't offer anatomy labs with prosected specimens. If you've already taken anatomy, it would probably be a good idea to e-mail their admissions office and ask them about the lab requirement.

In the meantime, if you're taking a year off, you can probably contact some of local colleges to see if they offer anatomy lab and biochem. I think most colleges allow you to sign up as a part time or transient student to take 1 or 2 classes per semester. in general these are useful classes to take before starting at any medical school and I recommend that anyone who plans on starting medical school to take them.

If I get the chance this fall, I'm going to go their admissions office and ask them to post a clarification about the anatomy and lab requirement. I'd imagine that some colleges don't offer anatomy labs with prosected specimens. If you've already taken anatomy, it would probably be a good idea to e-mail their admissions office and ask them about the lab requirement.

In the meantime, if you're taking a year off, you can probably contact some of local colleges to see if they offer anatomy lab and biochem. I think most colleges allow you to sign up as a part time or transient student to take 1 or 2 classes per semester. in general these are useful classes to take before starting at any medical school and I recommend that anyone who plans on starting medical school to take them.

Thanks Jay Leno, I have taken other post-bacc classes at night, but my current schedule is jampacked with work and other activities. Honestly, taking another class and lab just to meet only one school's requirements probably isn't going to happen. I'll call them if/when I get the secondary (does anyone know if they screen?), but if they don't offer an exemption, I guess I'll just have to withdraw.

Anyone else in this boat?

Thanks Jay Leno, I have taken other post-bacc classes at night, but my current schedule is jampacked with work and other activities. Honestly, taking another class and lab just to meet only one school's requirements probably isn't going to happen. I'll call them if/when I get the secondary (does anyone know if they screen?), but if they don't offer an exemption, I guess I'll just have to withdraw.

Anyone else in this boat?

I contacted the school and they told me if I got accepted, I could take an anatomy course offered in the summer at Columbus State. Honestly, I think they are going to have to make a list of schools for students to attend the summer before they matriculate as this is such a new requirement. But I don't know if you should just withdraw because you can't take the course. See how it plays out -- if you get interviewed and accepted -- and then see if you can take it that summer.

anyone know if they're friendly to neighboring peeps from michigan?

As noted, we are a friendly to out-of-state students - generally speaking, the second largest contingent (after OSU of course) is UofM in each class - probably a good 12-18 students in each class!! Any of you Michigan people want to know more about Ohio State let me know, I'd be more than happy to help you out!!

Ok people. I knew this time would come and I would have to write this essay, but I truly believe that there is no such thing as an altruistic act. Everything you do has some sort of reward -- where it is making you happy to help someone out, feeling superior than others for doing something they wouldn't do, or putting an activity on a resume. Every act has a reward.

SO If i write this on my OSU application. Give me definition of altruism, say how no one ever displays true altruism, but there are incidents that are close to true selfishness -- such as helping out someone, with no actual reward (except feeling better about yourself) -- and then give examples of when I have been close to true altruism. Do you think that should be OK? I truly believe that this is a BS essay where everyone is lying -- hell, the fact that you write about a time that you displayed altruism no longer makes it an altruistic act because you are "bragging" about. I am so confused.

So has anyone ever heard of someone getting into OSU saying that they never actually did an altruistic act?? Or should I really just BS for the sake of getting an interview. <sigh>

Ok people. I knew this time would come and I would have to write this essay, but I truly believe that there is no such thing as an altruistic act. Everything you do has some sort of reward -- where it is making you happy to help someone out, feeling superior than others for doing something they wouldn't do, or putting an activity on a resume. Every act has a reward.

SO If i write this on my OSU application. Give me definition of altruism, say how no one ever displays true altruism, but there are incidents that are close to true selfishness -- such as helping out someone, with no actual reward (except feeling better about yourself) -- and then give examples of when I have been close to true altruism. Do you think that should be OK? I truly believe that this is a BS essay where everyone is lying -- hell, the fact that you write about a time that you displayed altruism no longer makes it an altruistic act because you are "bragging" about. I am so confused.

So has anyone ever heard of someone getting into OSU saying that they never actually did an altruistic act?? Or should I really just BS for the sake of getting an interview. <sigh>

I would say most folks would still consider an act "altruistic" even though it makes you feel good.

Anyhow, got my secondary email, click a link and get slapped in the face by the anatomy requirement. I don't think I'm even going to bother doing the secondary b/c I don't think an an anatomy class will even fit in my schedule next year b/c of required engineering course and scheduling conflicts

I know this might seem trivial right now given the secondary app prompts, but can anyone comment on residence halls offered to medical students? There's an option that asks of our preference, but I can't find any information on OSU's residence halls.

I know this might seem trivial right now given the secondary app prompts, but can anyone comment on residence halls offered to medical students? There's an option that asks of our preference, but I can't find any information on OSU's residence halls.

Obviously I haven't really looked at an application in awhile...and don't remember this option...but I wouldn't really worry about it. Almost all students live off-campus in rented houses or apt complexes very near the medical school...the only school option I know of is the graduate student housing located right by the school - a few student I know do live there and like it - besides that, no one lives in any OSU residence halls

Avoidthetiger, I pretty much agree with you on altruism...i'm going to take a little risk and mention something along those lines and try to use some really unique examples...i don't have too good of a chance at being offered an interview so i'm not really worried that my altruism essay will blow anything for me :)

good luck applying guys! feel free to ask any questions! I went to under here too

Avoidthetiger, I pretty much agree with you on altruism...i'm going to take a little risk and mention something along those lines and try to use some really unique examples...i don't have too good of a chance at being offered an interview so i'm not really worried that my altruism essay will blow anything for me :)

Same here. I plan on doing what I wrote above. I might just have a stricter definition of altruism than most.

It seems like your definition says that there cannot be any reward for something to be altruistic. I think most people would say that there cannot be any expected reward, or that the cost in helping far outweighs the expected reward so that you're doing something at a cost to yourself.

Would someone pm the OP with the prompt so this thread can be updated with the secondary info?

Thanks.

New question: 2. The face of medicine is changing and our goal is to provide physicians prepared to serve diverse populations. Describe one or more experiences you have had with people of different racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic backgrounds or belief systems than your own, and what impact this had on you.
(They don't ask where you will be 10 years after graduating this year)
altruistic one is still there.

Question -- on the OSU application it asks what is your father/mother's parents highest level of education. Are they asking about my grandparents?

How long are your altruism / diversity experience essays? My diversity one is only approximately 350 words.

Question -- on the OSU application it asks what is your father/mother's parents highest level of education. Are they asking about my grandparents?

that's what i assumed

How long are your altruism / diversity experience essays? My diversity one is only approximately 350 words.

my altruism essay was almost 500. diversity was right around 300.

Just wanted to wish you guys luck! This school started in the middle of my list but completely blew me away by how much the admin and faculty cared about their students. Only reason I'm not there is because I couldn't leave sweet home Chicago. This school is awesome though! :thumbup:

I just got an email saying they received my secondary, which I sent a long time ago. My status still says "AMCAS received." Is there a way to check if they received my letters? I can't tell if my file is complete, even though I have sent in everything.

Mine were both right around 600 words. I have a problem though with space; I almost always use up the entirety of it. It's just a personal thing, I don't think that either way is better. As long as you get across what you wish to convey...

Just wanted to wish you guys luck! This school started in the middle of my list but completely blew me away by how much the admin and faculty cared about their students. Only reason I'm not there is because I couldn't leave sweet home Chicago. This school is awesome though! :thumbup:

Thanks! Any idea when OSU starts sending out interview invites?

I just got an email saying they received my secondary, which I sent a long time ago. My status still says "AMCAS received." Is there a way to check if they received my letters? I can't tell if my file is complete, even though I have sent in everything.

Yeah, I have no idea where to check for that. They have like 3 different pages you can access and it's a bit confusing. One's the original secondary link, one's the MedStar page and one's some future students page. None of them say if LORs have been received yet (I sent mine out a few days ago).

Mine were both right around 600 words. I have a problem though with space; I almost always use up the entirety of it. It's just a personal thing, I don't think that either way is better. As long as you get across what you wish to convey...

Thanks! Any idea when OSU starts sending out interview invites?

Yeah, I have no idea where to check for that. They have like 3 different pages you can access and it's a bit confusing. One's the original secondary link, one's the MedStar page and one's some future students page. None of them say if LORs have been received yet (I sent mine out a few days ago).

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a long or short essay response. As long as you can clearly convey your ideas, I can't see how a short essay response would be held against you. Just makes sure to check for spelling and grammar mistakes.

When I applied to OSU last summer, I recall them sending out interview invites pretty early in August. I got an interview invite around mid-August. However, this may change from year to year and depend on how early your application is completed.

Last year, I sent all of my letters of recommendation to AMCAS and used their letters services. So my recommenders all sent their references to AMCAS first, and then AMCAS passed it along to OSU. I don't think OSU directly accepts individual letters anymore. You might want to check with AMCAS first to see if they've received your letters. If they have, they usually pass it along to all the schools that you applied to and it should show up on your MedStar applicant status page.

Last edited:
Morning everyone,

Just got my interview invite for September 1st. Hope to see you all there!

Me too!! Guess I'll see you there!

Congrats Tippyboat! Too bad it's on a Wednesday. I was kind of hoping to get to see the Bucks play again. Good luck everyone!!

Congrats Tippyboat! Too bad it's on a Wednesday. I was kind of hoping to get to see the Bucks play again. Good luck everyone!!

Haha I got mine as well =] And I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that September 1st was a Wednesday. Congrats you two!

9/8 as well...I'm curious about this anatomy requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.