2010-2011 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.)

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.

Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.)

3. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.)

4. If you have publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication. This section applies for papers that have been published or been accepted for publication. Please do not include abstracts or unpublished conference papers.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm Class of 2014 and will be entering in a short 8 weeks or so to Stanford. Let me know if you want any advice on the admissions process, questions about Stanford, etc. I know there are some other lurkers on here who also are incoming students, so there should be plenty of advice to go around.

Good luck with this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
mdeast could tell us why you picked Stanford over some of the other schools you got into? I've read all the admissions material on the website but am still not sure what distinguishes Stanford from other top schools.

I'm gonna bullet point it, about things that I think make Stanford unique.

1. University Atmosphere. Stanford Med is one of the few US medical schools located directly on a larger university campus. The only others I can think of off the top of my head are UChicago and Penn. This means you'll be living in graduate housing with PhD students, law students, business students, etc. who often represent many of the best minds in these fields (Stanford is almost universally top ranked in most disciplines, #1 business, #2 law, etc.). This certainly afford social and networking opportunities. But, also given the flexibility of the Stanford curriculum and the ability to take any class at another graduate school or undergraduate school for free...means you can tailor your education program to whatever you want. You also feel a part of larger community- there are grad school mixers, you can attend Stanford-Cal football games, hit up the gym, the main libraries. The campus has it's own golf course, lake, running and hiking trails through the mountains. It's a self-contained city of intellectuals that only requires a short bike or drive to escape. I'll admit this environment isn't for everyone, but it's someplace I could see myself happy in.

2. Scholarly Concentrations. Stanford is one of the only schools in the country to require students to pursue a "major" in medical school. You can pick things like community health, bioengineering, health policy, health education, or design your own. Mine might be called "Business and Policy of Bioinnovation"- I'm interested in studying new biomedical advances and how they can be made to fit into a changing economic and political scene to increase their accessibility to patients both domestically and internationally. In the end, everyone leaves having the opportunity to pursue an individual interest that makes their time at Stanford unique. I'm a liberal arts student at heart, so this was important for me. I also have a ton of interests outside strict clinical medicine, and Stanford not only provides the environment to pursue them, they actually almost passionately encourage you to do so.

3. P/F grading. Stanford is incredibly devoted to a non-competitive atmosphere. There is no AOA or class rank. The first two years are P/F. The last two year are P/F/distinction. Distinction scores are based on a rubric and anyone can obtain them (not a set 10% of class, etc. like is done at most schools). You leave studying with some of the best minds in medicine...but never feeling like you're competing against them. Creating a very laid back atmosphere compared to many top schools.

4. Resources- Med Scholars, TAing, Research Funding. Stanford has the second largest medical school endowment but also one of the smallest medical school student bodies (86 students/class), meaning there are ample resources to be distributed to students. What to get involved in a research project with a faculty member? Want to TA a class? Want to do a rotation abroad in South America? Or, attend a conference in the US or abroad?Stanford will pay you do this....and they'll pay you handsomely. Med Scholars provides free tuition reimbursement plus up to 7k in living expenses per quarter (12-16 week block). You can earn up to 8k/quarter (32k/year) in tuition and salary as a TA with minimal commitment (most students comment it's about 5-6 hours/week). What's great about these programs is that the faculty actively encourage you to take advantage of them. They make it easy, such that you see most first year students even working on a research project. At most schools these tend to be more strictly clinical projects during the year. Whereas at Stanford, many students find the time and mentorship to unravel basic science questions even during the school year in one of Stanford's top laboratories (#1 for Biology PhD program in the US, most well funded labs of any US institution). I'm a basic science geek, and even though I don't think I'll pursue this path permanently, I like that I'll be able to continue to dissect these things as a med student.

5. Great advising system. As a MS1, you receive two faculty advisors. A career coach who will keep you on track with the opportunities available at the school and what you should be pursuing based off your interests and where you want to end up. And, also...a clinical skills coach (Educators 4 Care) who work one-on-one with you to develop your clinical skills as well as arrange shadowing opportunities and early clinical experiences at Stanford affiliated hospitals as a MS1/MS2.

6. Respect for Medical Students. Stanford does a whole lot of things that represent why it cares so much about it students and wants to give them a unique experience. Take for instance the "white coat ceremony". Which is instead called a "stethoscope" ceremony, because the white coat separate the patient from the physician, while the stethoscope connects them. Also, stanford med students are given full length white coats, to remind others on the wards that they are considered peers of residents and attending physicians in the hospital. I can't think of another medical school that does this.

6. Location, diversity and beautiful weather. While Stanford isn't located in an urban area, it is only a 30 minute drive from SF (one of the best cities in the US). With mostly sunny weather and mild temps year round, it means med students can stay active- biking, running, weekend hikes, etc. Close driving distance to the Beach, Wine Country, the City, numerous national parks. For weekday distractions you have the Penisula towns with decent restaurants, bars, cocktail lounges, etc. filled with interesting people who are often defining our generation (Google, Apple, etc. employees). Wanted something more fast paced? Hop on the train or drive into the city (although, there is a debatable amount of inconvenience associated with this). At the end of the day though, I've spent the last 4 years of my life living in ultra-urban areas...and I was impressed by the diversity of the weekend options available in an area with so much natural beauty so close to an urban playground. But, even amongst this beautiful, wealthy atmosphere...there is diversity in the patients you see (most are spanish speaking) and the clinical sites you spend time in. You rotate through Stanford Hospital (Top 20 tertiary care center), Santa Clara County (one of the best county hospitals in the country), Kaiser, the VA...which together serve a larger population than even UCSF's hospital system.

7. 15.5 months of required clinical clerkships. Most schools require you do 20, and aren't flexible about the order you complete them. Stanford allows you to do any rotation you want as a MS3 (in any order, subject to lottery, etc.). This gives you flexibility to complete the rotations you're interested in for residency first, and the ones that are "required" but don't interest you last. It also opens 4th year up to flexibility. You'll be done your clerkships by the end of autumn quarter of your last year. You can graduate early (no more tuition!), spend more time in the clinic, get paid to do research, TA some classes, golf, etc. Your fourth year becomes very relaxed because of how flexible the clerkship schedule is....or very busy if you want it to be!

8. New Med School Building. See it in person. Beautiful lecture rooms, the country's most advanced clinical simulation center. A 4th floor entirely dedicated to student space: large, beautiful gym, outdoor balcony for parties with views of the mountains, 70" TV, bar and kitchen, student rooms and lounges, free printing.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. But yes, I've become really excited about Stanford over the last few weeks. So, definitely give it a try. I don't think the place is for everyone. But for those who fit in, I can't think of a better medical school with a more impressive student body (that, paradoxically, is also one of the most relaxed).

Last edited:
Wow mdeast! Thanks for the great input. You've certainly sold Stanford to me (okay, I'll admit I was already pretty sold).

Wow mdeast! Thanks for the great input. You've certainly sold Stanford to me (okay, I'll admit I was already pretty sold).

No problem. Any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Though, to be honest, I'll be more well versed once I'm actually a student there in August :)

Does Stanford has a MD/MBA programan and if they do what is the curriculum like?

Does Stanford has a MD/MBA programan and if they do what is the curriculum like?

Yes. It's a 5 year joint degree program with the Stanford School of Business (#1 US Business school). I've actually thought about doing this potentially, but I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I'm interested in more than 4 years in this stage of my career. There is an internal application for the MD/MBA program that must be completed and you are not guaranteed acceptance as a medical student. Although, there apparently has yet to be a med school applicant who was denied.

With the scholarly concentration program, you are able to take business school classes your first two years to test whether or not you want to pursue the degree or not. If you're interested in a business focused career, you can always opt to design a scholarly concentration based around that if you don't feel like you ultimately want to pursue the MBA degree, but are still interested. The clerkship schedule is flexible as I said (15.5 months), so that still leaves you with 2 quarters of your last year to pursue business courses in the MD/MBA program or as a regular 4-year track student who just wants to expand their knowledge/options/contacts.

5-year MD/MBA Program @ Stanford

Year 1- Pre-clinical/Medical School
Year 2- Pre-clinical/Medical School
Year 3- Clinical Clerkship/Medical School
Year 4- Business School (Core)
Year 5 (Fall) - Finish Clerkships/Medical School
Year 5 (Winter/Spring) - Business School (Electives)

Thanks Mdeast!

May I ask you when you submitted all your secondaries?

Best,
Susan

Thanks Mdeast!

May I ask you when you submitted all your secondaries?

Best,
Susan

A good rule of thumb: 2 weeks after receiving them. I tried to stick to this rule, and I know Stanford values it. They'll send you a reminder email after 2 weeks of them sending the secondary invitation if you don't submit promptly. I submitted my primary in June, was verified first week in July, and was complete virtually everyplace by early August. I think Stanford sends out the official invitation in late July/early August.

Be wary though that Stanford's admissions process is much slower than other schools, even if you're complete the first day you can be. I received almost all of my interview invitations before mid-September...but not at Stanford until just before Christmas. There are typically only 3-5 students who interview each day (1-2 in the early rounds). That amounts to between 50-100 students/per month. Most schools are interviewing that many (or more) students per week. Stanford's process is much more spread out. I submitted in August, received an interview invitation late December, interviewed in February, was waitlisted in February, and then accepted in late May off the waitlist. My entire process took basically a full year with Stanford, starting from after submitting my primary. So patience is a virtue as there is a lot of waiting. Both here, and at other places.

You can download all the prompts right now (before receiving them). There should be a thread somewhere on SDN that lists links to past years threads that have the prompts for each school. They typically don't change from year to year, so it's safe to assume they'll be the same for this cycle. I made google doc files of essay prompts for every school I applied to... and I worked on them in my free time whether I was at home or at work. I ended up finishing most before mid-July.

You'll find many of the essays are similar between schools...what makes you diverse? etc. So once you write one, you can sort of copy/edit for other schools. Secondary essays are typically 1-2 paragraphs, so they take way less time than your PS should have.

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb: 2 weeks after receiving them. I tried to stick to this rule, and I know Stanford values it. They'll send you a reminder email after 2 weeks of them sending the secondary invitation if you don't submit promptly. I submitted my primary in June, was verified first week in July, and was complete virtually everyplace by early August. I think Stanford sends out the official invitation in late July/early August.

Be wary though that Stanford's admissions process is much slower than other schools, even if you're complete the first day you can be. I received almost all of my interview invitations before mid-September...but not at Stanford until just before Christmas. There are typically only 3-5 students who interview each day (1-2 in the early rounds). That amounts to between 50-100 students/per month. Most schools are interviewing that many (or more) students per week. Stanford's process is much more spread out. I submitted in August, received an interview invitation late December, interviewed in February, was waitlisted in February, and then accepted in late May off the waitlist. My entire process took basically a full year with Stanford, starting from after submitting my primary. So patience is a virtue as there is a lot of waiting. Both here, and at other places.

You can download all the prompts right now (before receiving them). There should be a thread somewhere on SDN that lists links to past years threads that have the prompts for each school. They typically don't change from year to year, so it's safe to assume they'll be the same for this cycle. I made google doc files of essay prompts for every school I applied to... and I worked on them in my free time whether I was at home or at work. I ended up finishing most before mid-July.

You'll find many of the essays are similar between schools...what makes you diverse? etc. So once you write one, you can sort of copy/edit for other schools. Secondary essays are typically 1-2 paragraphs, so they take way less time than your PS should have.

I'm doing this as well. I'd highly recommend it - it's very convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks mdeast for your thorough and very helpful responses! I was already looking forward to applying to Stanford Med School, and your description of the school is making me want to get accepted even more! I really hope I can get an interview.

Wow, thanks mdeast for your thorough and very helpful responses! I was already looking forward to applying to Stanford Med School, and your description of the school is making me want to get accepted even more! I really hope I can get an interview.
No problem. I'm bored at work this summer (can't give up my paycheck), so I'll post on here a fair amount until school rolls around.

For getting started, here's the 2009-2010 Stanford Secondary Essay Prompts. Each essay is short (1-2 paragraphs, maybe 250 words or less? I can't remember).

1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Private Practice
b. Health Policy
c. Academic Medicine
d. Public Health
e. Health Care Administration

3. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

4. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?

5. If you have publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, then in the space below, please complete a citation for each of your publications using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication. This section applies for papers that have been published or been accepted for publication. Please do not include abstractsor unpublished conference papers.

Hi mdeast,

In regards to Question #5, how important do you think published undergraduate research is for applicants?

Thanks!

Hi mdeast,

In regards to Question #5, how important do you think published undergraduate research is for applicants?

Thanks!

Published research is definitely a plus (it is at any research medical school). But, it's definitely not required. I had some abstracts...and 2 pubs in route right now. But nothing when I applied or interviewed. So, I didn't put anything down for that question. Despite stereotypes, Stanford also accepts many students without backgrounds in the basic sciences.

Any advice for answering the diversity question if we're not diverse? I'm an upper middle class white male, so I'm pretty much at a loss as to how to answer this question...

Any advice for answering the diversity question if we're not diverse? I'm an upper middle class white male, so I'm pretty much at a loss as to how to answer this question...

It's not diversity in only the sense of race, ethnicity. I'm also a white male and had plenty to write about. The prompt also states unique experiences, accomplishments, etc in life or work. So, really the question is...what makes you different from other applicants?

I spent about six months in hospital and in school at a European Medical School, discussed the somewhat unique field of research I was interested in (and both the scientific/policy/advocacy work I'd done for it). I also think I "outted" myself and mentioned a lot of the work I've done with underserved LGBT patients. It's more or less a chance to point out...."Hey, these are the things in my app that are important to me and that I think make me a different candidate than other people."

I can't think of your own diversity/unique experiences. I'll leave that up to you. It really can be anything...just make sure you relate it to medicine.

Last edited:
so i have a question about this. so did you not "out" yourself on your other applications or primary then? i have a lot of experience with LGBT health and issues in my life surrounding my sexual orientation are part of why i want to be a doctor. My PI in my lab wants me to totally make this a point in my personal statement (I want to submit it any day now!) because she thinks it will make me stand out. but i don't know how comfortable I am to refer to how "overcoming adversity" contributed to my commitment to wanting to be a physician. What do you think? and what were your reasons, if any, for not including it as a part of ur primary app (if you didn't)
thanks.

and p.s. are you cute? jk :)

I also think I "outted" myself and mentioned a lot of the work I've done with underserved LGBT patients.

Last edited:
so i have a question about this. so did you not "out" yourself on your other applications or primary then? i have a lot of experience with LGBT health and issues in my life surrounding my sexual orientation are part of why i want to be a doctor. My PI in my lab wants me to totally make this a point in my personal statement (I want to submit it any day now!) because she thinks it will make me stand out. but i don't know how comfortable I am to refer to how "overcoming adversity" contributed to my commitment to wanting to be a physician. What do you think? and what were your reasons, if any, for not including it as a part of ur primary app (if you didn't)
thanks.

and p.s. are you cute? jk :)

Haha, I'll leave my "cuteness" up to other people to judge. ;)

I personally chose to leave it out of my personal statement. I also had done a lot of work both clinical and non-clinical related in some way to the LGBT community. I think I even mentioned some experiences I had working in a sexual health center while I studied abroad and the broad range of sexualities I encountered. But, I talked about it in a way that didn't suggest my own sexual preferences. I just didn't think the PS was an appropriate venue to talk about my own sexuality. It's also a psuedo risky move to make that a focus of your PS because you do risk having a biased adcom member change his/her perception of you.

Certainly my sexuality interplays with why I was drawn to take up positions related to helping my own societal group...but I just felt somewhat awkward talking about my own sexual preferences in an essay that was largely about becoming a physician. Maybe you have stronger connections between your sexuality and health, but that wasn't the real force that got me interested in medicine.

I did however mention it briefly in some diversity essays when bringing up points about why I had served LGBT populations and how I can bring unique perspectives as someone who belongs to a group even to this day still battling civil rights issues. I kept it pretty tame though, just noting that I was also "a member of the LGBT community."

During interviews, I usually came out to a faculty member or student if they asked me about it....or if it came up naturally in a conversation or point I was making. Stanford is very open about this...they encourage you to be open about it if you want to be during the admissions process...there's a flyer about it in your interview day packet. They'll even arrange for you to have lunch with LGBT students on interview day if you request it. That was one of things that impressed me a lot about the environment there (not to mention the LGBT-MERG program).

I can say I interviewed at about 5 or so Top 10/20 schools and my general perception of gay-friendliness did vary greatly from institution to institution. Certainly, you have nothing to worry about in the Bay Area.

Hope that helps.

I assume noone gotten the secondary from this year yet?

Does stanford screen for their secondaries?

Not a word here either....East Coast, in case anyone cares..

at this point i'm thanking god for secondaries not coming out :laugh:

ditto...got too many piled up waiting to get done already

yeah for sure...everyone's complaining about UCSF only doing the secondary invites in batches. i would be very happy if i didnt get anything from ucsf till late next week (even though it's a relatively tame secondary)

Does stanford screen for their secondaries?
According to the MSAR they do not, but who knows if that is accurate. I am ok with not getting this one from Stanford yet, I feel like I am just treading water getting through what I already have. No new secondaries for the last few days, it's been a nice break.

Haven't touched any more secondaries for about 5 days now. Still feel so burnt out. (I sent in 12 so far) :(.

I didn't get my Stanford secondary until the first week of August. I think this is their typical schedule. Get ready for a long process....because Stanford is notoriously slow. :)

Haven't touched any more secondaries for about 5 days now. Still feel so burnt out. (I sent in 12 so far) :(.

I'm with you on that one...there's a postit on my desktop reminding the ones I have to complete, but feel burned out...

I'm with you on that one...there's a postit on my desktop reminding the ones I have to complete, but feel burned out...

Haha. The sad thing is... there's one school that I was about 90% done... but because they require snail mailing it in, I've been pushing it off. This school actually has a month month deadline so I better not push it.

Haha. The sad thing is... there's one school that I was about 90% done... but because they require snail mailing it in, I've been pushing it off. This school actually has a month month deadline so I better not push it.

Loyola :D

Cool random fact about being a Stanford Student. All entering students now receive a free 32GB Apple iPad for use in class.

Sawweeeet.

Cool random fact about being a Stanford Student. All entering students now receive a free 32GB Apple iPad for use in class.

Sawweeeet.

I am not that easily bought, though. I have standards.. (damned bastards, where is my secondary?????!!!!!!) ..;)

Last edited:

Sawweeeet.

I hope Steve Jobs comes dressed as Santa to hand them out.

I hope Steve Jobs comes dressed as Santa to hand them out.

Nope...but he apparently does come to many of the product launch days at the Palo Alto Apple Store (which they're building a new one of now). It's at the edge of campus in town. You also can sometimes find Marc Zuckerberg of facebook fame walking around town.

As for the new iPads...it seems sweet. To reduce paper, Stanford is trying to make readings completely digital. You'll be able to access anatomy textbooks on your iPad while in class. Stanford includes a document editing program with your iPad, so you can annotate class notes/presentation using a stylus or your finger instead of typing or writing using pen/paper.

Read the Apple Insider Article: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...cine_equipping_students_with_apples_ipad.html

P.S. I got my supplemental application on August 3rd last year. First Monday of August. So, I'd expect something soon....And remember. Fill it out quick. Stanford wants you to do it within 2 weeks or they get a little antsy.

Last edited:
P.S. I got my supplemental application on August 3rd last year. First Monday of August. So, I'd expect something soon....And remember. Fill it out quick. Stanford wants you to do it within 2 weeks or they get a little antsy.

Yet theyre one of the LAST schools, if not the LAST, to send out their secondary. Haha great.

Yet theyre one of the LAST schools, if not the LAST, to send out their secondary. Haha great.

I know waiting can be a terribly difficult part of this process but definitely remain patient. It's something you need to get through med school admissions. You'll get your secondary and then be subjected to even longer waits. I think I got my interview invite around Christmas despite being complete in early august.

Stanford isn't slow...they're just spread out. Be patient. Although I definitely sympathize with wanting things now :)

And good luck.

For those of you who already got the secondary, can you verify that the essay prompts are the same as last year's please?

Status
Not open for further replies.