2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDN Community,

Stupid question time:

NJMS's supplemental application states that "If your legal residence on your AMCAS is not New Jersey, you will be considered out of state. If this is the case, please answer the following questions:"

...And then it asks for two essays about why NJMS and why NJ.

Does that mean that in-state residents do not need to write any essays and simply just fill out the demographic info on the application?

Thanks so much for any help!

im a NJ resident and I'm not planning on answering those two OOS questions. but i dont know how much I have to write for the "if your not currently in college" question. they give you 3000 characters

Members don't see this ad :)
im a NJ resident and I'm not planning on answering those two OOS questions. but i dont know how much I have to write for the "if your not currently in college" question. they give you 3000 characters

Thanks traitorman. Yeah, I was considering that part too. I suppose they just want to know what sorts of activities have been occupying your time aside from school.

I got the supplemental app. Do we fill out the same one for RWJ and Newark? Thanks.

I don't know that part high5, sorry.

I called NJMS admissions yesterday and they said that in-state residents do NOT need to fill out questions 2A and 2B....as would be expected.

Hi all...

I was an applicant to both schools last cycle (and thankfully won't be reapplying this year!)

RWJMS and NJMS have two entirely separate supplemental apps, 2 completely different processes, and are 2, very different schools...so you will be filling out diff supplements...for those who are in-state, neither school requires essays :) (unless, they change something this year)

Last cycle, for me and many other applicants RWJMS was much slower than NJMS, but it is worth the wait to see both schools!

hope this helps!

I got the supplemental app. Do we fill out the same one for RWJ and Newark? Thanks.
Like glia25 said - two diff apps.

So far I have only gotten NJMS's secondary.

And as an IIS, I don't plan on doing the two OOS Qs as I read it as saying answer these only if you are OOS

yea i'm interpreting it as in-state+in-college(fulltime) = no essays

Is anyone going to fulfill the activities question the same way it was recommended on our primary AMCAS (ie. what you felt and experienced) or is it more just I'm doing this, this, and this.

Thanks for the input.

Is anyone going to fulfill the activities question the same way it was recommended on our primary AMCAS (ie. what you felt and experienced) or is it more just I'm doing this, this, and this.

Thanks for the input.

I don't think there is a section for that on the NJMS supplemental......

I'm referring to the question which asks what your doing for the gap year (Summer 2010 - Fall 2011). I'm doing research and volunteering, should I just describe what I'm doing or should I include what I've learned and felt so far, etc.

I'm referring to the question which asks what your doing for the gap year (Summer 2010 - Fall 2011). I'm doing research and volunteering, should I just describe what I'm doing or should I include what I've learned and felt so far, etc.

Thats a good question. From what I have been told by people at NJMS, its helpful in these sections to not just put in what you have done, but to put a little personality....a little compassion....or passion into it. Its the same advice I was given about the section on AMCAS where you list volunteering, jobs, etc. They don't say it on the application, but they want you to add in your own feelings in. It makes sense, if I was reading it I'd want to get a sense of who this person is as a person....not just their accomplishments.

Anyways, if it was me writing it, I wouldn't go nuts with sentiment, I'd add in an appropriately placed "being able to do _____ was a great, exciting opportunity I will bla bla bla" here and there. Besides, you have 3000 characters, may as well use them!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a good question. From what I have been told by people at NJMS, its helpful in these sections to not just put in what you have done, but to put a little personality....a little compassion....or passion into it. Its the same advice I was given about the section on AMCAS where you list volunteering, jobs, etc. They don't say it on the application, but they want you to add in your own feelings in. It makes sense, if I was reading it I'd want to get a sense of who this person is as a person....not just their accomplishments.

Anyways, if it was me writing it, I wouldn't go nuts with sentiment, I'd add in an appropriately placed "being able to do _____ was a great, exciting opportunity I will bla bla bla" here and there. Besides, you have 3000 characters, may as well use them!

Good luck!

True, thanks man. I appreciate your advice.

Hi all...

RWJMS and NJMS have two entirely separate supplemental apps, 2 completely different processes, and are 2, very different schools...
hope this helps!

Glia ... did you like one school more than the other?

hey everyone, i submitted this back on july 6th, but didn't get a confirmation email or complete email, only a 'we have received your payment' email. did anyone get a confirmation/complete email?

hey everyone, i submitted this back on july 6th, but didn't get a confirmation email or complete email, only a 'we have received your payment' email. did anyone get a confirmation/complete email?

i submitted the same day and also have only received the payment confirmation e-mail. no official "your application is complete" e-mail thus far.

same, completed it 1st day it was available... hopefully applying early this time helps cause i got watilisted last year... (3.5 gpa, 31 mcat)

For you NJ residents who aren't taking a year off before matriculating. Did you write anything out for the secondary? Any essays for it? Or did you just check the yes and no categories, dished out $80 and sent the seondary?

For the gap year question:

I just completed the secondary essay and it dissolved all 5 of my paragraphs into a great big block of text.

Anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone know if tuition is going up?

Does anyone know if tuition is going up?

i'm not sure, but i wouldnt be surprised given the cuts in the state budget for the state schools. rutgers (nj's state school) tuition has been going up bc of their budget cuts in the past few years.

edit: ah, the above post didn't show up before i posted

For the gap year question:

I just completed the secondary essay and it dissolved all 5 of my paragraphs into a great big block of text.

Anyone else have this problem?

same. how distressing.

I have yet to receive a "complete" notification either. Post it up if anyone does or hears anything from admissions. It would be greatly appreciated!

called admissions today. they're not going to send "complete" emails. (which is annoying if you ask me). if you've sent your secondary, application fee, verified AMCAS, and letters of recommendation you should be complete. then you just have to wait and see if they contact you about an interview. (it would be much nicer if they would just send a complete email so i wouldn't have to wonder)

I assume as a NJ state resident, there are no extra essays to be completed.

I just received an invite today.

I'm from NJ - completed on basically the first day.

I guess they're sending out invites now in general.

I too got an interview invite here. scheduled for friday.

You guys never got any communication from them before the interview right?

I was wondering whether its worth calling to see if they got all my stuff

So i'm guessing if we are going to be fulltime next semester, we don't have to fill out the essay part.

or

can we fill it out stating our future plans?

You guys never got any communication from them before the interview right?

I was wondering whether its worth calling to see if they got all my stuff

i called them today. i should have been complete by July 20th but they're not sending complete emails, so i just asked them to confirm whether i am complete. they were pretty nice - i just gave them my name and they said yes.

Yea my interview is this Friday at 2 PM. And no, there was no application complete e-mail or anything like that.

Yea my interview is this Friday at 2 PM. And no, there was no application complete e-mail or anything like that.

Are you In-state or Out-of-state? and wtf...this friday? lol short notice

i called them today. i should have been complete by July 20th but they're not sending complete emails, so i just asked them to confirm whether i am complete. they were pretty nice - i just gave them my name and they said yes.
Ok thanks

Thanks and good luck with your interview; let us know how it goes

alright appreciate it. Also for anyone wondering I am in state and submitted the secondary the same day that I received it.

hey can you please post your stats? i am a nj resident too, submitted my secondary first day to njms but i haven't gotten a interview invite yet and i am a mess! thank you =) and good luck!

any one applying early decision to NJMS?

based on other threads on the forums, I know two people have already been accepted from the EDP.

an update that some folks might find helpful:

I called up today to check everything had been received by them (which it had), and the lady I spoke told me that the admissions committee had just started to review regular applications and that I should hear something in the coming weeks. She said couldn;t give me a date, but that it shouldn't be too much longer. All in all, she was very nice and helpful.

Hope that helps folks

an update that some folks might find helpful:

I called up today to check everything had been received by them (which it had), and the lady I spoke told me that the admissions committee had just started to review regular applications and that I should hear something in the coming weeks. She said couldn;t give me a date, but that it shouldn't be too much longer. All in all, she was very nice and helpful.

Hope that helps folks

thanks! i was wondering what has been taking them so long to start offering invites. I submitted everything in the very beginning of July and it's been quiet.

Imnotthere, for the afternoon interviews, we just come to the admissions office at around 11:30 or 11:45 to sign in, right? Thanks in advance! (I got the interview email around the same time; In-State)

Last edited:
thanks! i was wondering what has been taking them so long to start offering invites. I submitted everything in the very beginning of July and it's been quiet.

I got an interview invite a few days ago, and I also submitted in the beginning of July. Are you OOS, because that might make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.