2010-2011 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

"At the University of Chicago in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even though it doesn't explicitly say so in the mission statement, it is understood that Pritzker's mission is the underserved community right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay Pritzker!!!! PM if you have any questions or look at this past year's current page

Love pritzker!!!

Hey PritzkerGuy! We miss you in the 2009-2010 thread!

And a shout-out to all the 2010-2011 applicants! I loved my interview day at Pritzker and it IS possible to make it all the way to the final waitlist even if your application initially gets put on hold and re-reviewed in December. Now I'm just hoping for the best :xf:! Feel free to PM me with any questions, especially if it's about getting off the hold list (eventually), though amph, PritzkerGuy, and Ben are AMAZING!

when pritzker came to visit my undergrad institution last year, I got really really excited about the school. Now its showtime, baby!

they also have very nice dual degree programs.........

Got the secondary invite this morning.

Edit: Essay questions are the same as last year's:

"At the University of Chicago in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

and

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Is it just me or are these length requirements really long? I've been happy writing 250-word answers, but now 550? I don't know if I can talk about Chicago that much!

Is it just me or are these length requirements really long? I've been happy writing 250-word answers, but now 550? I don't know if I can talk about Chicago that much!

It's a limit, so don't feel compelled to use all those words (although I completely understand the desire to...).

Got the invite too. MAN, they're secondary site is really well made! I'm impressed already.

I became completely infatuated with this school after reading the way they worded their "selection factor" on the MSAR. <3 them

This may be a more general question...but for Essay #2, I'm really worried about restating my personal statement. The whole reason I got interested in medicene was because I've dealt with glaucoma my entire life.

I'd like to talk about this more in essay #2. I'd say that's def. overcoming adversity, because I've never let it limit or stop me. However, I don't want to restate anything or come off as "boo hoo me".

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a limit, so don't feel compelled to use all those words (although I completely understand the desire to...).
True! At least, if I've learned anything in college so far, it's how to pad my answers... ha ha.

Speaking of padding our applications, what are people's thoughts on the additional question: "Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know." Does anyone know if it's reserved for specific things or are most people writing something?

True! At least, if I've learned anything in college so far, it's how to pad my answers... ha ha.

Speaking of padding our applications, what are people's thoughts on the additional question: "Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know." Does anyone know if it's reserved for specific things or are most people writing something?

I am a reapplicant so I've been answering those types of questions with information on how I have become more competitive since my first application cycle (especially focusing on things I didn't elaborate on in my AMCAS app). Not sure what you could write if it is your first time applying though.

On this question (which most secondaries seem to have), I write about my family history, as it's something that has had a huge impact on the person I am today. If you feel like there's something you need to talk about, then talk about it. I think it's a truly optional question though.

Is anyone else having trouble with the first "Credentials Check" and registration website page? I filled it out, but nothing on the page changed, and I haven't gotten any emails...?

Last edited:
I also got an invite this morning, but my AMCAS isn't even verified yet!

Haha - geez, I thought I didn't have to worry about secondaries until I get verified, but they just keep coming in already....><"

This is a beastly long essay.

Haha I get nervous out of habit for leaving the optional 200 word essay empty. I really have nothing significant to say, and it would be too cheesy to write about how much I like the school. But still, leaving it empty feels weird.

On this question (which most secondaries seem to have), I write about my family history, as it's something that has had a huge impact on the person I am today. If you feel like there's something you need to talk about, then talk about it. I think it's a truly optional question though.

dude, cole, i have to tell you that i'm a major fan of your weezy avatar.
*insert lyric here*

Is their "additional information" section actually required???

^ Anybody? Still can't log in!
Did they just switch all status updates to the secondary app this year?

Hmm...I have no problems with the secondary app, so I'm assuming (like Cole said) the status update is just through the secondary app this year and ignore the one on their website.

Here's the contact number they gave on the secondary, you could also just look on their website...
"Telephone: 773-702-1937"

Just curious...Anyone from here attending school in the North East?

looking at last year's thread, most people received initial response to their application (reject/interview/hold to december) within a week or two after completing their secondary... even the early july peeps. :eek:

For those of you who don't check the 2015 thread, I got an interview invite earlier today. I submitted 07/01. They are quick! :eek:

For those of you who don't check the 2015 thread, I got an interview invite earlier today. I submitted 07/01. They are quick! :eek:

You got invited on a Saturday?

Wow haha they work so hard! Congratulations dude!

Was it an email or a status update on the secondary site?

Thanks! I received the invite via email. I was definitely surprised. They're very on top of things. They did have the prettiest secondary website.

Yup. Chicago is super fast. Be prepared for one of the following decisions:

(1) Interview Invitation- 600 students (by the end of the process)
(2) Pre-Interview Hold (re-evaluate in December)- 200-300 students, 10-15% get interviews
(3) Rejection- Everyone Else.

Happy 4th of July!

Kip, I'm just so curious about your application, especially because it's Pritzker. Would you mind sharing what your major was? Did you have a research heavy app? I know you want to be anonymous and I totally respect it if you don't want to say. It's just that you're the first interview so I'm very curious :oops:

So is the screening for a secondary strictly by MCAT score? I submitted July second and got the secondary notification within a day. Should I wait for AMCAS verification before submitting the secondary so they can get my comittee letter, since they respond so quick?

So is the screening for a secondary strictly by MCAT score? I submitted July second and got the secondary notification within a day. Should I wait for AMCAS verification before submitting the secondary so they can get my comittee letter, since they respond so quick?

Your file won't be "complete" without the letter, so they won't even look at it until it's in. Their quick response pertains to looking at complete files.

Happy 4th of July!

Kip, I'm just so curious about your application, especially because it's Pritzker. Would you mind sharing what your major was? Did you have a research heavy app? I know you want to be anonymous and I totally respect it if you don't want to say. It's just that you're the first interview so I'm very curious :oops:

PM sent.

Pritzker Class of 2014 here! Long time reader of the boards but first time posting.

I just wanted to encourage everyone to apply to Pritzker. It's a very low-stress application, secondaries, interviews and all. Personally I really liked the idea of just having fewer, but longer, more fleshed out and detailed essays. The students and staff are so friendly, personable and really make an effort to keep in touch with you during your application. Out of all the schools I visited, I also felt like they were the least flashy and most down-to-earth.

I know someone was asking about the "Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know." section. I would really encourage you to write something there. Don't feel pressured to hit all those word limits, but a little something extra, from your baking hobby to family history is really nice and helps enrich your application and give the committee and better sense of you as a person and where you're coming from.

If anyone has other questions or anything they might need help with, from secondaries to interview questions feel free to send me a PM or post.

Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, how long after submitting did the status page reflect that you were good to go? I submitted over the holiday weekend and paid the fee. I got an email confirmation of the fee. When I look at my app, the "Sec" and "Fee" are grayed out, and when I roll my cursor over them, it indicates that they are incomplete/not paid.

However....above that box, it clearly says "secondary complete and locked". Thanks for any help! I'll probably give it another day or so before I call and bug them:)

Hey guys, how long after submitting did the status page reflect that you were good to go? I submitted over the holiday weekend and paid the fee. I got an email confirmation of the fee. When I look at my app, the "Sec" and "Fee" are grayed out, and when I roll my cursor over them, it indicates that they are incomplete/not paid.

However....above that box, it clearly says "secondary complete and locked". Thanks for any help! I'll probably give it another day or so before I call and bug them:)

I had the same issue and I just called. I guess the administrator who processes the payments is out today, but she will be back tomorrow to do all of that. If it still hasn't changed by tomorrow afternoon, give them a call!

Status
Not open for further replies.