2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, no one is applying to UF? Well, I just got my secondary today. I guess not too many neurotic SDN premeds want to go to Gainesville.... ;)

lol i got the secondary yesterday too. hopefully not too many premeds want to go :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a head up guys. If you received the same email yesterday that I did, it specifically says (in bold red letters) that it is not a secondary. It is an email explaining how to apply. You fill out a regular application first, then they decide if they want to give you a secondary. :) UF is weird like that.

Just a head up guys. If you received the same email yesterday that I did, it specifically says (in bold red letters) that it is not a secondary. It is an email explaining how to apply. You fill out a regular application first, then they decide if they want to give you a secondary. :) UF is weird like that.

Yea, that's what mine said too.. o_O there are 2 steps to filling out a secondary for UF.

What went out yesterday was a cursory email that gave instructions on how to fill out the application (the first) to one of UF's professional colleges. Filling it out does not mean you will get a secondary.

^^^ True. I got the feeling that this was just the first step of a two step secondary, but a secondary nevertheless. They have all the info they need to reject you pre secondary.

I find all the stuff about Florida residency a lot of bull****. I need to submit my parents Voter's Registration Number? Come on.

How is it BS? Its a state school so of course any school will ask your proof of residency if you are a state resident? If you've applied to USF you will have to do it for them too.

But on a more important note, how long does it take to get the secondary after the form?

Pretty sure you'd have to ask someone who applied and got one last year, but it doesn't seem that there are many people hanging around the UF thread.

I have a friend from UF that is in their med school at the moment. I'll ask her and get back to you guys.

I spoke to my friend that is currently in her 3rd year at UF. She does not remember how long it took from 1st app to secondary, but she thinks It couldn't have been very long because she filled out her app as early as possible and had an interview by early October.

I spoke to my friend that is currently in her 3rd year at UF. She does not remember how long it took from 1st app to secondary, but she thinks It couldn't have been very long because she filled out her app as early as possible and had an interview by early October.

Awesome, thanks for letting us know!

Pretty sure you'd have to ask someone who applied and got one last year, but it doesn't seem that there are many people hanging around the UF thread.

I have a friend from UF that is in their med school at the moment. I'll ask her and get back to you guys.

Hi all!

I was accepted to UF last cycle and will be starting orientation on Aug. 9!!! Super excited. Since a couple of u wanted to know the answer to this ? I figured I cud help since I saved most of my e-mails frm UFCOM (the only one I happened to erase was the first of the two for the secondary. lol) But I do have that I received the official secondary 1 mth after my amcas was processed. So I probably got that first e-mail about two weeks b4.

If u guys have any other ?s I wont mind answering. Just PM me if its really pressing tho since I dont check SDN as much as I did this time last year. Lol. GOOD LUCK...STAY POSITIVE!!!

I just checked my email, and I got the secondary a month later. I remember sitting on that initial email a little while though. The actual number is probably closer to two or three weeks to receive the secondary after the professional app is received by UF.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it looks like UF got my professional app within 10 days. I got the official secondary 2.5 weeks later.

^^^ True. I got the feeling that this was just the first step of a two step secondary, but a secondary nevertheless. They have all the info they need to reject you pre secondary.

I find all the stuff about Florida residency a lot of bull****. I need to submit my parents Voter's Registration Number? Come on.

Miami even asked for my HS diploma :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I am visiting family in Gainesville and was wondering if it would be a good idea to drop by the UF SOM? Sure it couldn't hurt but what would I even do there. You know what I mean?

same essays as last cycle.

eablackwell, just wait to see what will happen next week. Good luck to all of us.

I can't remember if we paid the $30 fee already or if we have to pay it again. Anyone know?

They do, yes. I didn't get a secondary :( I wonder if I was screened out already. I wouldn't be surprised. Good luck to you all with secondaries!

How does it look? Lots of essays?

Don't lose hope yet eablackwell!! It's still early and they sent us the secondary on a friday afternoon.. I wouldn't be surprised if you receive one on Monday morning :) And the essays don't look too bad. Just 3 one-page long essays and the last two are optional, lol.

Here they are:

Please describe your particular strengths, accomplishments, and/or characteristics that will add to the diversity of the University of Florida College of Medicine. Please limit your response to one page.

OPTIONAL: Please describe your interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine’s Research Track, including previous research experience. Please limit your response to one page.

Please use this space for any additional information you wish to provide. If you are or were a paid employee as a student and did not list those jobs on your AMCAS application, please do so here - the name of the company, the duration, and how many hours per week you worked.

I can't remember if we paid the $30 fee already or if we have to pay it again. Anyone know?

We had to pay the $30 with part one of the secondary.. and then UF sends you part two if you get screened in where you fill out the essays. There is no additional charge for part two.

2 Q's:

1.) How rigorous were the secondary screenings? Do we have a much higher shot at an interview if we are screened in?

2.) For the optional research track question, can we answer it even if we're not doing MD/PhD?

That 30 dollars doesn't go to UF. It goes to the AAMC organization. There was another 30 dollar fee you paid when youd id the residency form thing if you did it, and that is the fee for the secondary at UF.

I meant the one that went to uf, since that technically wasn't a secondary yet :) I don't even count the amcas fee. I saw that chunk as just throwing cash in a toilet and flushing, but you're right, that was technically the primary fee.

Ok, now I am fuming. These UF people are really *****s or they love red tape. I sent c copy of my parents voter registration cards, their driver licenses, the TAG of the vehicles they drive and their registration and now I got a letter stating that:

" we are unable to determine your Florida residency status for tuition purposes with the information you provided. Please submit your parents 2010, 1040 Form"

WTF ??? :smuggrin: :mad:

Submitted my secondary today! For the people who are getting the emails about problems with FL residency status, when did you submit your secondary? And how long did it take for them to contact you about receiving both portions of the secondary? Sorry for all the question but also did you guys who are having problems put all that info on the primary app like the voter reg, vehicle reg, and drivers license and still have problems?

Submitted my secondary today! For the people who are getting the emails about problems with FL residency status, when did you submit your secondary? And how long did it take for them to contact you about receiving both portions of the secondary? Sorry for all the question but also did you guys who are having problems put all that info on the primary app like the voter reg, vehicle reg, and drivers license and still have problems?

That is just the first email. The actual 'secondary" ( I feel like calling it their "tertiary" ), I have not received it yet.

2 Q's:

1.) How rigorous were the secondary screenings? Do we have a much higher shot at an interview if we are screened in?

2.) For the optional research track question, can we answer it even if we're not doing MD/PhD?

The instructions say to only answer the research track question ONLY if you are interested in pursuing an MD/PhD degree.

Also, what are some of the things you guys mentioned in the additional information page? Thanks!

The instructions say to only answer the research track question ONLY if you are interested in pursuing an MD/PhD degree.

Also, what are some of the things you guys mentioned in the additional information page? Thanks!

well crap! I answered it because I was interested in doing research and had previous research experience but I'm not really interested in M.D./Ph.D. hopefully, that doesn't change anything cause I already submitted it yesterday...:confused:

Also I got the interview to do the secondary along with an email about doing the "Primary" for just UF. The form was attached as a .pdf and I had to email it back after I filled out both the primary to get my UFID and the secondary. Did everyone else have to use this same format?? Just seems a little weird. Haven't had to email back any other secondaries...?

That is incorrect. The secondary/instructions clearly indicate that you should fill out this optional section if you have interest in the research TRACK, an optional track within the 4-year MD program COMPLETELY independent of the MD/PhD program.

See here:
http://msrp.med.ufl.edu/research-track/

well crap! I answered it because I was interested in doing research and had previous research experience but I'm not really interested in M.D./Ph.D. hopefully, that doesn't change anything cause I already submitted it yesterday...:confused:

No worries, you did it correctly.

That is incorrect. The secondary/instructions clearly indicate that you should fill out this optional section if you have interest in the research TRACK, an optional track within the 4-year MD program COMPLETELY independent of the MD/PhD program.

See here:
http://msrp.med.ufl.edu/research-track/

No worries, you did it correctly.

Ah, my apologies. Must have read it wrong.

Are any of you having problems saving your information on the pdf file that they sent you? I'm using a Mac, so after I put in all my information and save it, some of my "check marks" go away. And to top it off, when I send it as an attachment by email, I open it up using a PC and there is n-o-t-h-i-n-g saved.... this is very frustrating. Is it because I'm using a Mac? And advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I know many of you said you were havig residency fax issues. Is this part of the secondary they just sent out? When I applied nearly a month ago I filled out the info with my drivers license and car registration, but I didn't think it asked for me to fax anything.

You cannot save things on this pdf. In fact, it is true of almost all the PDF secondaries.

GWU's secondary and SUNY Downstate's secondary is the same way. In the PC computers it even says that the PDFs have restrictions on being able to save anything and nothing will be saved if you hit save. So you will have to do it in one sitting or type it and save it in a word document and then put everything onto the pdf at one time.

I'm sorry. Its frustrating cuz this is how the schools set up PDFs. EVMS is another school that does this.

So you will encounter it with other schools if you applied to either of the other 3 I mentioned above and I'm sure a few others are this way as well.

I'm sorry. :(

Don't be sorry. I've encountered this before with both GW and SUNY Downstate.. usually, it works just fine since I just print the document after. However, UF asks that you save it and then email to them as an attachment.. That's where I'm having problems. I guess I'll just call them and ask if I can snail mail it to them =P Hopefully, they'll be understanding lol. Thanks again for the feedback! =]

Ok, now I am fuming. These UF people are really *****s or they love red tape. I sent c copy of my parents voter registration cards, their driver licenses, the TAG of the vehicles they drive and their registration and now I got a letter stating that:

" we are unable to determine your Florida residency status for tuition purposes with the information you provided. Please submit your parents 2010, 1040 Form"

WTF ??? :smuggrin: :mad:

I went through the same thing last cycle, and you have to send them a copy of your parents 2010 1040 IRS tax form that shows you're a dependent and that they are residents of FL. They won't take anything else (I remember because I submitted my own tag and registration, florida ID, my voter ID card, and a bunch of other things, but they still wanted my parents 1040 form).

In case you haven't noticed in the 2009-2010 forum, it's been confirmed that UF is switching to a P/F grading system for the pre-clinical years starting with our class. It's hoped that this new system will cut down on the competitiveness that has become synonymous with UF med. I personally am anxiously awaiting the beginning of our orientation and classes!

If the admissions office seems a bit scattered, they lost one of their primary people (Denise Chicester) to the UF scheduling office, so they might be trying to adjust to everything. Good luck to you all! Stay positive and keep your chin up!:thumbup::luck:

You cannot save things on this pdf. In fact, it is true of almost all the PDF secondaries.

GWU's secondary and SUNY Downstate's secondary is the same way. In the PC computers it even says that the PDFs have restrictions on being able to save anything and nothing will be saved if you hit save. So you will have to do it in one sitting or type it and save it in a word document and then put everything onto the pdf at one time.

I'm sorry. Its frustrating cuz this is how the schools set up PDFs. EVMS is another school that does this.

So you will encounter it with other schools if you applied to either of the other 3 I mentioned above and I'm sure a few others are this way as well.

I'm sorry. :(

I submitted my secondary via email attachment, and I was able to save it. However, you can only save it once. So if you try to come back and change something and save it again, it would not work. However, I do have a PC so that might make a difference. The first time I tried to email my secondary they could not open it because I tried to use the submit form button at the bottom. This button does not work correctly, and she said she would remove it off of future secondary applications. So since this did not work, I tried emailing it just as an email attachment, and she said it was fine. I CC'd myself as well, and I was able to open it from both my emails and all of my information was saved. So maybe if you're having trouble on a Mac, try using a PC and saving it by changing the file name with your last name, AMCAS ID, etc. Hope this helps! :)

I submitted my secondary via email attachment, and I was able to save it. However, you can only save it once. So if you try to come back and change something and save it again, it would not work. However, I do have a PC so that might make a difference. The first time I tried to email my secondary they could not open it because I tried to use the submit form button at the bottom. This button does not work correctly, and she said she would remove it off of future secondary applications. So since this did not work, I tried emailing it just as an email attachment, and she said it was fine. I CC'd myself as well, and I was able to open it from both my emails and all of my information was saved. So maybe if you're having trouble on a Mac, try using a PC and saving it by changing the file name with your last name, AMCAS ID, etc. Hope this helps! :)

Took your advice and it worked! Just sent it in this morning =]

Mac work-around:

Open your print options and have it generate a PDF print preview - there should be an option to save that preview document to your drive. Rename it to include your last name and AMCAS ID.

I'm going to join cweave and attempt to answer any questions you might have about the process since it's still pretty fresh on my mind.

Let me know if I can help!

However, I think Leila Amiri will fill in her shoes well. She was doing well at USF med when she was let go because they wanted someone with more MD admissions experience then her but even REL the former director of admissions at USF med had said he had faith in her capabilities. Leila worked her way up at USF from chemistry advisor to premed advisor to head of premed advisors eventually to assistant director of admissions at USF med. I think she was let go also because they didn't want an asst. director just a director and a dean and they wanted someone else for the position of director. But she would've done good and will do well at UF med. She's the person who has now replaced Denise. And Denise I know had previously replaced Robyn Sheppard.

I think all the Fl. schools have been undergoing changes in the MD admissions in the last few years. FSU has had its fair share of losses in their office, USF in its office when REL left, UF with Denise and Robyn shifting to other offices, Miami when the previous Dean of admissions whose name is escaping me right now left. It will figure itself out eventually.

On a more important note, I have a question.

What if we are not a dependent but we are Fl. residents and lived outside of Fl. for a year for school? Do I still need to show an IRS thing? They mentioned showing a bank statement. Would that be feasible too. The they referring to UF admissions office.

If that's the case, they'll probably want a copy of your 1040 showing both A. your independence and B. your state of legal residence. At least in my case, they were pretty strict about having the 1040 form, but I can't say that'll be true in general.

I have a question about the UF admissions application (not the secondary). I'm going to be a senior in college and I'm confused about the activities section, since it asks what I plan to do between graduation & enrollment. To be honest, I have no idea. Does this section have to be filled out? I mean, I could fill it out with things that I may do, such as continue to volunteer at the hospital or work at my dad's company. My question is, how "strict" are they going to be about this section, and what if I end up steering away from my projected plans & doing something completely different? Thanks for the help!

how did you guys fill out your secondary .pdf? Im having trouble getting this file into anything that I can type on...I'd hate to print it off and re-scan it to get it into word or something...

how did you guys fill out your secondary .pdf? Im having trouble getting this file into anything that I can type on...I'd hate to print it off and re-scan it to get it into word or something...

I couldnt write on it using my version of adobe acrobat reader but when I switched to a different program it worked fine and I could save it as often as I wanted. The program I used is called foxit reader. You can download it free, just google it. Hopefully that will work for you.

Out-of-state interview scheduled today! Looks like they got the ball rolling! Good luck everyone.

UF is so funny. They sent their "thank you for your application" email without the stated "attached file", and subsequently sent a blank email with the .pdf attached. I just got the email inviting me to fill out their secondary tonight, and they did the very same thing again.

UF is so funny. They sent their "thank you for your application" email without the stated "attached file", and subsequently sent a blank email with the .pdf attached. I just got the email inviting me to fill out their secondary tonight, and they did the very same thing again.

That happened to me last year too. Attachments are tough!

Hello everyone,
I have been researching how to submit my peer letter, I read in one site that it must be submittted through AMCAS (how in the world can I do that?) others say just have the person directly mail it to them.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, I am a transfer student and was wondering if any one knows which college is best to study and focus your pre-med track; CLAS, CALS or PHHP? I am looking at the Preprofessional Biology, Microbiology majors at CLAS and CALS. And Health Science Preprofessional major at PHHP.

I have no idea of what your are talking about..CLAS, CALS, PHHP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.