2010-2011 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

I've started drafting my essays based on last year's questions, and one involves talking about medically related experiences. Do you think it would be acceptable to list dental assistant as one of these?

My fingers are itching to submit my AMCAS but I haven't even taken the MCAT yet!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've started drafting my essays based on last year's questions, and one involves talking about medically related experiences. Do you think it would be acceptable to list dental assistant as one of these?

I would go ahead. It is kinda medically related and honestly, I think it could only help you. I know people who listed thinks that definitly weren't medically related and they still got in. One of the people put down a time when they drove past a car accident on the interstate and saw EMTs giving CPR. I mean really, that should not count as a medically related experience.

I would go ahead. It is kinda medically related and honestly, I think it could only help you. I know people who listed thinks that definitly weren't medically related and they still got in. One of the people put down a time when they drove past a car accident on the interstate and saw EMTs giving CPR. I mean really, that should not count as a medically related experience.

Ha ha. Yeah, I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. Does anyone know when the secondary will be available? I'd like to get it done before I head to Nicaragua in a couple of weeks.

got an email from carver saying it would take a few weeks. this was like two weeks ago. they screen/review applicants it sounds like

Yay! Secondary received. I really really like Iowa and would love to go here.

I have received the secondary too. This seems like a great school. :xf:

Received and submitted :)

Anyone know what the screen was?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone send in the prompt for the secondary? I'd really appreciate it! Good luck to everyone applying!

Can anyone send in the prompt for the secondary? I'd really appreciate it! Good luck to everyone applying!

1500 character limits
Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.
Question 3: Please list and provide a brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer) in which you have participated over the past 5 years.
Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (Optional)
Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (Optional)

1500 character limits
Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.
Question 3: Please list and provide a brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer) in which you have participated over the past 5 years.
Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (Optional)
Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (Optional)

Question 3 has a higher character limit. I think its 3000. Good luck everyone.

For "Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class."

Do you think they mean "unique personal characteristics" OR "obstacles you may have overcome"? It seems like a very short character limit to want both. Do I need to talk about an obstacle?

I've talked about obstacles in other parts of my app, so I just talked about unique characteristics. I'm not sure if that's what they want though.

1500 character limits

Thanks so much!

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but someone mind posting the essay prompts for the Iowa secondary on this thread?

Thanks!

it's posted and quoted on the 1st page...

For the medically-related experiences question--does working in a basic science lab count as medically-related? I'm guessing probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

For the medically-related experiences question--does working in a basic science lab count as medically-related? I'm guessing probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

I did not include my research for that question. I suppose it is indirectly, but I don't think that's what they're looking for. Just my opinion though.

This isn't what they are looking for here. They want you to talk about more clinical experiences and interaction with patients.

Do we really have to put in our course information once again? Can't they just look at the AMCAS to see what science courses we have taken? Did everyone fill out their courses on the app?

Do we really have to put in our course information once again? Can't they just look at the AMCAS to see what science courses we have taken? Did everyone fill out their courses on the app?

I did, yes.

EDIT: IIRC, requesting course info on secondaries allows the adcoms an easier time going through your application. You're identifying the specific courses that fit their requirements so they don't have to labor through at least three years worth on classes on your AMCAS.

I'm working on this essay and have shadowing and volunteer work to put down, but I feel like (for me) my most significant clinical experience came from helping a friend suffering from cancer. Does anyone know how medical schools look at that kind of experience? (I'm kind of hesitant to include it...)

I'm working on this essay and have shadowing and volunteer work to put down, but I feel like (for me) my most significant clinical experience came from helping a friend suffering from cancer. Does anyone know how medical schools look at that kind of experience? (I'm kind of hesitant to include it...)

You could always call and ask, but it seems valid to me. Rather than forcing talking about other experiences that weren't as meaningful, it seems you could write a stronger essay using this experience.

I may not be the best person to give advice since this is my first time applying, but just my two cents.

Does anyone have any information about this school, such as highlights of the curriculum? Their website doesn't have much.

anyone know why this thread is so dead? I submitted and everything.. anyone know when they start interviewing?

anyone know why this thread is so dead? I submitted and everything.. anyone know when they start interviewing?

No idea.. but I hope I hear from them soon. I rly like this school.

In the fine print under the status of your application it says they start in september. I'd imagine invites would have to start coming out soon.

Their application tracking display shows that I have completed everything, but it still says my file is not complete. Anybody else get this, or do I have to wait for them to review my secondary before my file is complete?

Just got the complete email. Says they will start reviewing apps in mid-August.

Got complete message yesterday as well. I wonder what the time frame is from reviewing apps to invites?

Their application tracking display shows that I have completed everything, but it still says my file is not complete. Anybody else get this, or do I have to wait for them to review my secondary before my file is complete?

give it a few days and the status changes to COMPLETED

Got complete message yesterday as well. I wonder what the time frame is from reviewing apps to invites?

I don't think they've started yet, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a bit. The complete email says they will "begin reviewing applications in mid-August."

So they may start soon, but who knows when the first interview invites will go out.

just answered my own question

Last edited:
In my app. it says that my final application, application fee, and supplemental questions have been received and the other two not received since they are not applicable to me. Does this mean my app. is done and I just have to wait for someone to verify it? I can't find a submit button like most other supplemental apps. and they have not emailed me saying that the supplemental is complete like most other schools.

They did start sending interview invites. I got an email this afternoon. It looks like four days in Sept. from the 17-24 or something like that.

They did start sending interview invites. I got an email this afternoon. It looks like four days in Sept. from the 17-24 or something like that.

when was your secondary complete?

August 5th.

One thing to realize is that they say in their interview invite email (I know this because I got one, too) that you don't have to be complete for them to invite you for an interview. I assume that is how an August 5th complete can get an interview invite a week later.

Last edited:

I received my interview invite yesterday. I was complete on 7/20, and I'm in-state. My interview is scheduled for 9/29. Good luck to everyone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.