2010-2011 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't wait to get this application started. I'm still working on my primary app. I hope for amazing results this year!

My AMCAS has been verified! The ball is rolling...can't wait for the secondary!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone gotten a secondary yet?

anyone gotten a secondary yet?

Yes, finally somebody else on the forum. No, I have not received a secondary yet, but I am not expecting one until the 2nd or third week of July. Have you started writing up the essays? I don't think they'll change much from last year.

Nope, I haven't. I didn't know that it was possible to know the questions. Where did you find them? Are you from KY?

Nope, I haven't. I didn't know that it was possible to know the questions. Where did you find them? Are you from KY?

No, I am an OOS applicant, but I love this school so I'm taking my chance...Thank God they have some out-of-state slots. Below are the secondary app questions from last year. Don't take too much of my word for it, but I don't think they'll change much so you can begin to get ready. The school screens before they send out secondaries that's why it takes them a while, We should get them by the 21st though.

.......................................................................................................

1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

OOS Essay:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a) Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I'll make sure to let you know when I get a secondary. Good Luck to you... maybe we will be in the same matriculating class.

Thanks so much! I'll make sure to let you know when I get a secondary. Good Luck to you... maybe we will be in the same matriculating class.

You're very welcome! And to be in the same matriculating class...that would be totally awesome! 2011 here we come!

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompts for the UK secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got this and after briefly skimming through it, it looks about roughly the same.

I am on OOS as well, good luck!

Recieved the UK Secondary at 2:10 pm. Apparently, I missed 1 question from my previous post:

7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Then, there's the OOS essay:
Essay
(Out of State Students Only)
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a.Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b.Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c.Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d.Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e.Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Just checked my email for the first time today and there it was. Good luck to everyone. This is a great school with lots of new facilities.

I got the 'ol "be sure to let us know right away if you have ties to Kentucky" (read: because you're not good enough to get through the screen without them) - oh well. My stepdad lives there, maybe I'll let them know. :thumbup:

EDIT: replied with an explanation of my ties, and the fact that I realize my MCAT is below avg for OOSers, but I'm certain that I make up for it in other ways. Hopefully they like my candor.

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary application last night and today, I received the ff in an email:

Thank you for submitting the 2011 Secondary Application for the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. The admissions staff will process your information and post your application status on the secondary website. Please allow at least 10 (ten) business days to verify your status. If you have additional concerns, please email the admissions staff at [email protected].

10 business days is 2 weeks, but I hear that they are super fast at responding, so may take a shorter time. All my letters are in so my app is complete. I hope to receve an interview invite soon, by God's grace. Interviews begin August 28 for both EDP and regular applicants. I'll report the outcome when I receive information from them.

Best of luck to everyone this year!

Does anyone know how long these short answers typically are? Right now I am just writing until I feel like I have answered the question effectively, but I am not being consistent with the length.

Does anyone know how long these short answers typically are? Right now I am just writing until I feel like I have answered the question effectively, but I am not being consistent with the length.

All of mine are around the 150-200 words length, but one of them took around 300. As long as you answer the question effectively like you said I don't think length really matters.

hi,
I have just submitted my secondary application, but I thought I would be able to go back and look at the instructions and any extra documents after I submitted my application. Are there any other materials you have to mail into UK (i was pretty sure I read there were). If anyone still has these instructions and/or documents could email them to me it would be of great help. Or if there isn't anything I need to mail in then that would be graet too I just need to know!

Thanks!

hi,
I have just submitted my secondary application, but I thought I would be able to go back and look at the instructions and any extra documents after I submitted my application. Are there any other materials you have to mail into UK (i was pretty sure I read there were). If anyone still has these instructions and/or documents could email them to me it would be of great help. Or if there isn't anything I need to mail in then that would be graet too I just need to know!

Thanks!

I think they need letters of rec and transcripts after you complete current classes (if applicable). Your letters can be sent electronically rather than through surface mail. Apart from that, I don't remember any other requirement.

Submitted 7/26/2010...hope I am not too late, I am in state so I do not think it will be a big issue...

Now the wait begins!!!

Submitted 7/26/2010...hope I am not too late, I am in state so I do not think it will be a big issue...

Now the wait begins!!!

Of course you are not late...in fact, you are very early. They probably haven't started screening for interviews yet. :)

Does U of Ky send pre-secondary rejections or do they do silent rejections pre-sec (i.e. if you don't get a sec, assume rejectino)

Does U of Ky send pre-secondary rejections or do they do silent rejections pre-sec (i.e. if you don't get a sec, assume rejectino)

Not sure. I suggest that you check UK's 2009/2010 forum to see if people got rejection pre-secondary. I know that they require at least a 23 MCAT (could be 22 but not less) to receive a secondary. I'm not sure what the GPA minimum is. You can email or call them to find out.

Not sure. I suggest that you check UK's 2009/2010 forum to see if people got rejection pre-secondary. I know that they require at least a 23 MCAT (could be 22 but not less) to receive a secondary. I'm not sure what the GPA minimum is. You can email or call them to find out.

If you're OOS they want to see a 30+ unless you have ties to Kentucky. Just throwing it in there.

If you're OOS they want to see a 30+ unless you have ties to Kentucky. Just throwing it in there.

That's probably true...I only know about the general minimum to receive a secondary application. They may have more stringent minimums for OOS...but I would not at all be surprised if some current OOS UK med students scored in the 20s.

You guys may have already done a lot of research on this school. But just in case anyone is interested, I have attached the 2010 Match list.

Attachments

• UKCOM 2010 Match list.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 415
For those who sent in the application, what does it say under your status???

:)Do any of you have an idea of when they start screening for interviews? I just checked their website, and interviews begin Aug 28...

I don't know... but I would like to know this too. I wonder if Aug. 28 is for EDP or regular?

:)Do any of you have an idea of when they start screening for interviews? I just checked their website, and interviews begin Aug 28...

Well orientation began today so they may be too busy to get to it this week. I'm pretty sure they would start next week if they don't start this week, because I think they would like to give people at least 2 weeks to prepare for the interview, travel, lodging, etc.

I don't know... but I would like to know this too. I wonder if Aug. 28 is for EDP or regular?

The website says both EDP and regular. They probably will focus more on EDP at this time...but you never know...

My status changed today from "Complete" to "Sent to Screening"

So hopefully we should be finding out something soon!
Good luck everyone!

My status changed today from "Complete" to "Sent to Screening"

So hopefully we should be finding out something soon!
Good luck everyone!

Mine has changed also...yay! I wish we could get email notifications, but this is great! Sneeze11, are you EDP? I'm not.

Yep, I'm IS and mine changed to screening. (Not sure when though, I only checked when I saw other peoples' had).

Cool. It may have changed today. I check mine several times. Hope for good news!

So... just out of boredom/curiosity... what do you guys like about UK, specifically? What makes you want to go there? (I'm IS)

So... just out of boredom/curiosity... what do you guys like about UK, specifically? What makes you want to go there? (I'm IS)

I have not visited UKCOM or Lexington, but I have a friend who is a current student there and she only has nice things to say about the school. I have also done a lot of personal research about the school and my reasons for wanting to be a student here are as follows:
The facilities are up-to-date, brand new hospital in progress, world-class emergency room just completed, there's a lot of community service opportunities, the faculty and staff are very friendly, block scheduling of classes, the year is very long but at least on certain days, you get out of class early, the admissions office is supersonic fast with their decisions, Lexington is a lovely place to live and raise a family (I'm newly married), cost of living is great, housing is inexpensive compared to the NE where I currently live, you can't beat the horses, etc.

Interview invite for 9/11! Came about 15 minutes ago. They were quick; I think I submitted my secondary on 7/26.

IS 3.72/34

Last edited:
Interview invite for 9/11! Came about 15 minutes ago. They were quick; I think I submitted my secondary on 7/26.

I see you're in-state. Mind sharing your stats?

I need to get a move on - haven't even finished this secondary. Granted, it is horribly long..

IS 3.72/34

Me too!!! Sept 11. God is good! Submitted secondary on Aug 20th (the day I recieved it). Congrats Ranna!

Last edited:
Yay! Interview Invite as well! Mine is for 9/25 and I was complete on 7/31. I was nervous that I would be rejected right after my secondary because I am OOS.

Yay! Interview Invite as well! Mine is for 9/25 and I was complete on 7/31. I was nervous that I would be rejected right after my secondary because I am OOS.

Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.