2010-2011 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Rejection! Oh well, so much for WICHE

Yeah I was rejected too..I'm from MA but I figured since my dad went to UNM medical school and my grandparents/aunts/uncles live in NM I figured I'd AT LEAST get a secondary. Oh well..I kind of expected to get rejected from here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, congrats on the secondary... I should be receiving one relatively soon. Are you a NM resident as well? What's the prompt?

I'm an out-of-state student but went to NMSU for my undergrad. Hopefully I get a secondary but I haven't heard anything. I also just read on their website that you MUST apply through early admissions..i guess that means I'm automatically rejected.

Yeah, I don't really understand why the OOSers would have to solely apply EDP... oh well, I guess UNM is just really committed to in-state residents. Maybe give them a call and see what's up? I'm in-state and they said I should be receiving a secondary sometime this week, so we'll see...

Yeah, I don't really understand why the OOSers would have to solely apply EDP... oh well, I guess UNM is just really committed to in-state residents. Maybe give them a call and see what's up? I'm in-state and they said I should be receiving a secondary sometime this week, so we'll see...

What phone number did you use for admissions? I just called and it said it was a non-working phone number.

Hey, I think the number you want to try is 505-272-4766. I'm also from NMSU and applying this cycle. Good luck!

Hey, I think the number you want to try is 505-272-4766. I'm also from NMSU and applying this cycle. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I called and the lady in admissions (Holly) was extremely helpful. She pretty much said that since I'm from Jersey I will automatically be rejected but because I have strong ties, she "highly recommended" that I fill out a "residency appeal." I would love to go to this school so hopefully they accept my appeal.

jds23, did you graduate this past spring? Maybe we know each other lol

I graduated the Spring before, so 09'. I'm sure we had some classes together. So what other schools are you applying too? Do you know if there are a lot of students applying from NMSU? I only know of 3 that are for sure applying this cycle.

Haha, I think half of my high school went to NMSU... so I know tons of people there and visit every now and then. It's a pretty cool campus, and the outdoor lap pool is awesome during the summer. Idk about you guys, but this wait is killing me. Mostly because its my first choice and I would rather get accepted to UNM before spending a ton of money interviewing, etc. at other schools...

As it turns out, I got an instant rejection. But they said I could appeal it if I felt I had significant ties to NM. So I did and I told them: My sister and I were born there and lived there for five years; my ENTIRE family lives in Albuquerque and my mother and father both worked there for 15 years of their lives before we moved to PA. Also mother went to HS there and NMSU undergrad.

Alas, it wasn't significant enough (i.e. went to high school, college in NM).

Too bad - I love Albuquerque and would've been extremely happy at UNM

Members don't see this ad :)
As it turns out, I got an instant rejection. But they said I could appeal it if I felt I had significant ties to NM. So I did and I told them: My sister and I were born there and lived there for five years; my ENTIRE family lives in Albuquerque and my mother and father both worked there for 15 years of their lives before we moved to PA. Also mother went to HS there and NMSU undergrad.

Ah that sucks... I bet you'll have some luck with schools in PA though.

Nice, congrats on the secondary... I should be receiving one relatively soon. Are you a NM resident as well? What's the prompt?
1. At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity and life and work experiences. What would you as an individual bring to our medical community?

2. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. What do you see as the most significant issues the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and what are some potential solutions for these problems?

Part of the goal of the UNM School of Medicine is to address the healthcare disparities that face New Mexico. Once you become a physician, how do you foresee yourself helping to address the healthcare challenges that affect communities in the State of New Mexico?

max is 2000 characters each prompt.

Yea, my family lives there, i go to school in boston.

Aw that stinks. When you talked to them about the appeal, did they recommend you do it because when I talked to admissions, she thought I had a pretty good shot. I hope it's true!

1. At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity and life and work experiences. What would you as an individual bring to our medical community?

2. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. What do you see as the most significant issues the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and what are some potential solutions for these problems?

Part of the goal of the UNM School of Medicine is to address the healthcare disparities that face New Mexico. Once you become a physician, how do you foresee yourself helping to address the healthcare challenges that affect communities in the State of New Mexico?

max is 2000 characters each prompt.

Yea, my family lives there, i go to school in boston.

Thanks so much for sharing. Wow, that secondary is kind of a beast lol... This application season is really making me feel like I'm a creative writing major or something. For #2, I'm really tempted to say "refer to personal statement"

Reactions: 1 user
haha yes!! i had a hard time with number two.

BY THE WAY!!!!! please turn it in as soon as possible, because they schedule your interview within 2-3 of receiving your secondary!!! and i think the earlier you have an interview the better your chances. (that's just me hoping for the best lol)

Good luck!!

p.s my interview is the 12th, just incase you guys happen to get an interview the same day :)

Last edited:
haha yes!! i had a hard time with number two.

BY THE WAY!!!!! please turn it in as soon as possible, because they schedule your interview within 2-3 of receiving your secondary!!! and i think the earlier you have an interview the better your chances. (that's just me hoping for the best lol)

Good luck!!

p.s my interview is the 12th, just incase you guys happen to get an interview the same day :)

Congrats on the interview! It's nice to know there's a quick turn-around on the secondary after they receive it. Of course, it might be because you have awesome stats, but either way an early interview can do nothing but help your chances. I'm sure you'll do great... just out of curiosity are you flying down from Boston? lol thats quite a trip...

Thanks!! :)

and no, my stats are NOT great. haha so i'm actually surprised they sent me the secondary, but i won't question it haha

But Yea, i'm flying down that saturday the 9th. and leaving wednesday the 13th.. kind of pissed that there aren't any late flights out of ABQ on tuesday night, cuz i'll be missing all of my classes on wednesday.. hopefully this trip is worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks!! :)

and no, my stats are NOT great. haha so i'm actually surprised they sent me the secondary, but i won't question it haha

But Yea, i'm flying down that saturday the 9th. and leaving wednesday the 13th.. kind of pissed that there aren't any late flights out of ABQ on tuesday night, cuz i'll be missing all of my classes on wednesday.. hopefully this trip is worth it.

Yeah it can be kind of a pain missing classes (especially labs), but think of it this way-- you were taking all those classes so that you could get into medical school lol, so it's definitely worth it. Plus, you'll get to post up in the 505 for the weekend lol.

Yeah it can be kind of a pain missing classes (especially labs), but think of it this way-- you were taking all those classes so that you could get into medical school lol, so it's definitely worth it. Plus, you'll get to post up in the 505 for the weekend lol.

haha yes, postin' up in the 505 was good :)

interview was ok, first doctor asking A LOT of questions, literally she had four printed pages with questions and about five lines underneath to write my answers down, BUT she was super nice and easy to talk to.

the second doctor was also great, more of a conversational interview, not really a Q&A session.

good luck to those with upcoming interviews :luck::xf::D

Has anybody heard anything, or know when they will start to let anyone know?

so, has anyone heard anything? any clue how many spots remain after the rolling admissions process? march 15th is slowly but surely approaching...scary!

so, has anyone heard anything? any clue how many spots remain after the rolling admissions process? march 15th is slowly but surely approaching...scary!

I called a couple times in the past several months.. Apparently they give out 10-12 acceptances in December to their top applicants. Again in early February they gave out another 10-12 acceptances. Come March 15th they will be giving out the bulk of acceptances, roughly 90 to the others! Hope this helps and good luck! :xf::luck:

thanks for the info!

does anyone know if this is consistent with past years?

Yes, thanks so much for the information! I'm glad to know there will be that many spots remaining for the march round. I had actually kinda estimated that that would be the case, but wasn't sure, so this is much appreciated info. Now if only March 15th would just get here already!

Yikes! Not the 15th anymore, but tomorrow! :eek:

My heart is pounding...

lol yeah, I'm pretty sure... just trying to piece together some living arrangements. Are you matriculating in the fall?

I might be matriculating. I'm still trying to way out the pros/cons for NM and another school, can't be in-state tuition though!

It's funny I was just hoping/praying for 1 acceptance and now I have 2, which has brought even more stress. Oh well, I still am very fortunate to be in this position. Where are you planning for living arrangements?

I might be matriculating. I'm still trying to way out the pros/cons for NM and another school, can't be in-state tuition though!

It's funny I was just hoping/praying for 1 acceptance and now I have 2, which has brought even more stress. Oh well, I still am very fortunate to be in this position. Where are you planning for living arrangements?

Well UNM's match list was pretty solid I thought (as far as having a good range of specialities), despite them being known as a powerhouse for family and rural med. I think wherever you go, it basically just depends on your board scores and the connections you are able to make within hospitals during your rotations. And, the hospital associated with UNM sees almost all the serious cases in the state (seems like it would be a good place to train). In-state tuition difference= the same amount as a badass car/ decent house. Albuquerque is a growing city (530k people) with a really good music scene (think: The Shins) if you're into that, and a lot of hiking/ biking/ climbing stuff nearby.

IDK, these are the points I used to validate my decision to go to UNM over some other places. As far as living arrangements, I'm pretty sure I'm going to live at Lobo Village. It seems ridiculous nice, but maybe a little too social if you're really into quiet time.

Well UNM's match list was pretty solid I thought (as far as having a good range of specialities), despite them being known as a powerhouse for family and rural med. I think wherever you go, it basically just depends on your board scores and the connections you are able to make within hospitals during your rotations. And, the hospital associated with UNM sees almost all the serious cases in the state (seems like it would be a good place to train). In-state tuition difference= the same amount as a badass car/ decent house. Albuquerque is a growing city (530k people) with a really good music scene (think: The Shins) if you're into that, and a lot of hiking/ biking/ climbing stuff nearby.

IDK, these are the points I used to validate my decision to go to UNM over some other places. As far as living arrangements, I'm pretty sure I'm going to live at Lobo Village. It seems ridiculous nice, but maybe a little too social if you're really into quiet time.

True True..... I haven't even begun to look for housing. LAME!!!!! i'm such a slacker. Are you going to second-look this weekend?

True True..... I haven't even begun to look for housing. LAME!!!!! i'm such a slacker. Are you going to second-look this weekend?

Lol yeah, I kind of just started looking for a place and fell into the village, still need 1 more roommate though if you're interested (I'm 21 & male). I'm pretty sure I'll be at second look day

Status
Not open for further replies.