2010-2011 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

I've just started filling out the app for UND. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they use grade replacement.

I'm only to about page 6 on the app, but I don't believe there are any essays other than the PS.

Since I'm a non-trad who returned to school 2 years ago, the peer letter from someone approximately my age may be a challenge.

I'd love to hear from others who are also applying here.

I would like to but I think I am too far into MN to really stand a chance at acceptance with my stats. I lived in GF when I was younger though and liked it. It would be sweet to have a chance to go back.

Members don't see this ad :)
DocBell,

I know they do consider former residents strongly as well, as well as a few MN residents. You might have a pretty decent shot, depending on how much time you spent there. Basically, they're looking for people who are interested in rural medicine, primary care areas, or people who will practice in the state.

DocBell,

I know they do consider former residents strongly as well, as well as a few MN residents. You might have a pretty decent shot, depending on how much time you spent there. Basically, they're looking for people who are interested in rural medicine, primary care areas, or people who will practice in the state.

Wow thanks for the replies. Idk then I might go ahead and apply. Worst case scenario is I don't get in lol That is pretty much what I am saying about everywhere right now.

I would like to but I think I am too far into MN to really stand a chance at acceptance with my stats. I lived in GF when I was younger though and liked it. It would be sweet to have a chance to go back.

As long as you have lived in ND for a period of time you should at least have a chance. Though I do not know what your stats are I would at least give it a shot and stress that you would like to get back to ND. UND loves to hear applicants talk about their desire(s) to practice medicine in ND.

So there is no chance for someone out of state that has never lived there?

Ill apply anyway

So there is no chance for someone out of state that has never lived there?

Ill apply anyway

The only possible chance would be if you were Native American or a resident of a WICHE state or Minnesota. They may not even send you the link for the app if you don't meet any of those qualifications. They don't use AMCAS, you have to first fill out an online form and then they send you the link to the app.

Why do you want to apply there so much if you have no ties to the area? It's really really cold and windy in Grand Forks in the winter. :laugh:

Yeah they already sent me the form and I'm filling it out.

Its a safety for me because their MCAT scores are low..in case I F'd it up lol.

I've just started filling out the app for UND. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they use grade replacement.

I'm only to about page 6 on the app, but I don't believe there are any essays other than the PS.

Since I'm a non-trad who returned to school 2 years ago, the peer letter from someone approximately my age may be a challenge.

I'd love to hear from others who are also applying here.

Hey SEAP, I’m a non-traditional applying too; I was in the Air Force for the first six years after high school, and then separated to come to UND to do pre-med. I’m wondering how much more competitive us non-trads are because of our older age and level of life experience. Have you been told anything about how you fair? I noticed my GPA/MCAT was similar to yours too (3.66, BS-11 VR-9 PS-8). I have been a ND resident for the last seven years too so I know that will really help. Has anyone told you that you look better than say a recent college grad? I’m getting all anxious already!

Hey SEAP, I’m a non-traditional applying too; I was in the Air Force for the first six years after high school, and then separated to come to UND to do pre-med. I’m wondering how much more competitive us non-trads are because of our older age and level of life experience. Have you been told anything about how you fair? I noticed my GPA/MCAT was similar to yours too (3.66, BS-11 VR-9 PS-8). I have been a ND resident for the last seven years too so I know that will really help. Has anyone told you that you look better than say a recent college grad? I’m getting all anxious already!

I'm not really sure it's looked at as being better, but I don't think it will hurt us being a non-trad. One physician I spoke with who has previously been on the adcom at UND told me they do actually look at the life experiences and maturity of non-trads favorably. I hope that's still true with this years adcom.

I think UND is a great school, but the one thing holding me back from getting really excited is Grand Forks. How do you like living there? I've heard it's super cold & windy (which I knew), but also that it's a little smelly from the processing plants and the city doesn't keep it really clean. Is that true?

I know the deadline is Nov 1, but I wonder when they start handing out invites. Since you're at UND maybe you've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure it's looked at as being better, but I don't think it will hurt us being a non-trad. One physician I spoke with who has previously been on the adcom at UND told me they do actually look at the life experiences and maturity of non-trads favorably. I hope that's still true with this years adcom.

I think UND is a great school, but the one thing holding me back from getting really excited is Grand Forks. How do you like living there? I've heard it's super cold & windy (which I knew), but also that it's a little smelly from the processing plants and the city doesn't keep it really clean. Is that true?

I know the deadline is Nov 1, but I wonder when they start handing out invites. Since you're at UND maybe you've heard.

I hope it still the case for this year too! That would be pretty sweet if the life experience I have is the little push I need that gets me through the door. Ye the deadline is Nov 1st for the apps, and by the end of the month and first week of December they hand out interview dates. I think acceptance letters are handed out starting mid January with most people finding out sometime at the end of January/beginning of February. If you get put on a waitlist, I know there’s still some hope left too because a lot of folk use UND as their backup school even if they are from here, and so, even though they got in here, they choose acceptance at a different school. I guess that will only help folk like me who wants to go here. I don’t mind North Dakota, I never have. I grew up in small town environment and I plan on staying small; town (Grand Forks size anyway). I grew up in the UK where family doctors were important members of society and so that’s kind of what I want to do. That’s the main reason I think I would fit in quite well at UND. Grand Forks isn’t that bad either! Yes it gets cold but you get used to it and it’s not like you hang out outside. Sometimes you can smell the Simplot factory but it’s really only in the morning and it smells like fries so I kind of like it! Wait, maybe I should be telling you how awful it is here and try to reduce my competition! So are you from ND? If so, what part? Wait, I just notice an accepted class of 2015. Did you get in somewhere else already? If so, do you have any tips for the interview?

I'm from Bismarck and have lived here all my life. I have been accepted to 2 DO schools already (Des Moines University and Midwestern in Arizona), and the interviews were really not very stressful. I have heard that the interviews at UND can be a little more confrontational, but I hope that's not the case this year. Although I think I could handle it. :) I think it's just important to be yourself and answer honestly.

I haven't been to Grand Forks in about 20 years, and I don't remember it, so I'm not sure if my family would like to live there. If I get an invite I'll go, but so far I've been pretty impressed with the schools I've been accepted to. I honestly am really interested in practicing in ND, but at the same time it seems like a good opportunity to see what it's like to live somewhere else, especially for my family.

Good luck :luck: Keep posting your experiences on this thread. It's always so quiet.

That's cool. I'm still trying to decide if I should consider applying to a D.O. school. That added cost will just suck so I got to try and think if it's really worth it. What do you think, or is it probably too late? I was wondering what their acceptance rates were like because I did see that they are state biased too. So, if UND accepts you are you going to take it or pass and go to one of the schools that has already accepted you? Congrats btw.:laugh:

I'm not sure what I would do if I was also accepted to UND too. It may depend on what I think of the curriculum & facilities after visiting. The MD or DO title is not important to me. I can't even pick between the 2 schools I'm currently accepted to. I keep going back and forth. It would be even worse to throw another acceptance into the mix. :laugh:

Actually, most DO schools do not have an in-state bias. It's probably not too late to apply to a few if you were really interested in them. Are you applying to any other MD schools? I thought about it, but I couldn't get really excited about any that my stats didn't completely rule me out of.

Congrats!

Did it come by mail?

Thank you! I received an e-mail. The email was about scheduling the interview for the traveling required. I'm pretty sure the email was sent earlier than normal because of this consideration.

Last edited:
So they're handing out the interview invites already? I wasn't expecting them to come for another week and a half. What were the dates that they offer to interview on?

So they sent you an invite as an OOS, you must have some awesome stats. :laugh:

So they sent you an invite as an OOS, you must have some awesome stats. :laugh:

I'm just thrilled to have an opportunity to interview with them! It sounds like they have a rigorous interview process to select applicants for qualities not found in stats.

Even if a doctor has decent stats, s/he must think through complex situations on his/her feet, clearly communicate information that the patient had never understood before, and really care with great compassion to facilitate the healing of the patient. There's so much more to being a doctor and getting interviews than just stats. And from what I've seen on your previous posts, my academic stats are not much better than yours.

I must admit that my letter said that I will recieve an interview invite and not that I have recieved an interview invite. I just hope it works with my travel arrangements.:)

I'm just thrilled to have an opportunity to interview with them! It sounds like they have a rigorous interview process to select applicants for qualities not found in stats.

Even if a doctor has decent stats, s/he must think through complex situations on his/her feet, clearly communicate information that the patient had never understood before, and really care with great compassion to facilitate the healing of the patient. There's so much more to being a doctor and getting interviews than just stats. And from what I've seen on your previous posts, my academic stats are not much better than yours.

I must admit that my letter said that I will recieve an interview invite and not that I have recieved an interview invite. I just hope it works with my travel arrangements.:)

Are you applying through the INMED program? It does seem weird that an OOS would get notification of a pending interview invite before IS. I know 2 other people that applied, 1 of which has excellent stats & ECs, and she hasn't heard anything yet either.

Have you ever lived in ND?

Are you applying through the INMED program? It does seem weird that an OOS would get notification of a pending interview invite before IS. I know 2 other people that applied, 1 of which has excellent stats & ECs, and she hasn't heard anything yet either.

Have you ever lived in ND?

No, I'm neither applying through the INMED program nor have I ever lived in ND. I'm applying for M.D./Ph.D.

The letter was about scheduling the interview date because of traveling due to going to school OOS and living OOS. An in-state resident would most likely have an easier time getting to the interview than an out-of-state resident and might need less time to set up travel arrangements.

I'm sure the actual interview invitations will be sent out soon. I hope the best for all of you! ;)

Last edited:
No, I'm neither applying through the INMED program nor have I ever lived in ND. I'm applying for M.D./Ph.D.

The letter was about scheduling the interview date because of the traveling due to going to school OOS and living OOS. An in-state resident would most likely have an easier time getting to the interview than an out-of-state resident and might need less time to set up travel arrangements.

I'm sure the actual interview invitations will be sent out soon. I hope the best for all of you! ;)

OK. I must say I'm really surprised that you are even being considered as an OOS if you are not INMED or WICHE since you have no ND ties.

Maybe there were not enough IS apps for the MD/PhD program. Who knows. Good luck. :luck:

OK. I must say I'm really surprised that you are even being considered as an OOS if you are not INMED or WICHE since you have no ND ties.

Maybe there were not enough IS apps for the MD/PhD program. Who knows. Good luck. :luck:

Not that this has anything to do with why I was selected for an interview, but I do have several ties with ND. Anyway, UND has obviously been reviewing the applications and the interview invites should be coming by the end of this month. Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind fewer applicants this year; it should make me a little more competitive if that's the case!:thumbup:

Does anyone know if housing is available for interviewing students?

I wouldn't mind fewer applicants this year; it should make me a little more competitive if that's the case!:thumbup:

OOPS! I think I meant to write that it will make it less competitive if there are fewer applicants!:eek:

I haven't heard of housing being offered for interviews, but I do live in Grand Forks right now and there are plenty of hotels available within close proximity. Be sure to make a reservation as soon as you find out you're interview date if you get one though, because if something is going on in town that day, the hotels quickly fill up!

They don't offer any housing to interviewing students when they send out the interview invites. But last year I had a student stay with me for a day and there may have been a few others that stayed with student hosts as well. If you call the school when you get your invite they will probably send an e-mail to the class asking for volunteers.

Good luck with your interviews!

They don't offer any housing to interviewing students when they send out the interview invites. But last year I had a student stay with me for a day and there may have been a few others that stayed with student hosts as well. If you call the school when you get your invite they will probably send an e-mail to the class asking for volunteers.

Good luck with your interviews!

Thank you!

Just received the interview invite in the mail. It was postmarked the 24th.

I'm scheduled for Dec 16th @ 7pm. Not the best time for me. I have a final that day that I'll have to reschedule. Also not sure about the 7pm interview after a long day of driving.

I'm scheduled for Dec 16th @ 7pm. Not the best time for me. I have a final that day that I'll have to reschedule. Also not sure about the 7pm interview after a long day of driving.

Congratulations! :) I hope your interview goes great! :luck:

Nice, hope it all goes well. I actually got all excited when I saw this post and ran to my mailbox, but nothing was there; ha! Hopefully, I'll be joining you on the interview status here Monday or so! Congrats again!:D

Congratulations! :) I hope your interview goes great! :luck:
Thanks!

Did you get your interview date yet?

Nice, hope it all goes well. I actually got all excited when I saw this post and ran to my mailbox, but nothing was there; ha! Hopefully, I'll be joining you on the interview status here Monday or so! Congrats again!:D

Thank you. :)

Hope you get your invite soon. :luck: With your numbers, I would think you'd have enough points to get an invite. Have you seen the point system? I found one on a UND site that said automatic invites for IS usually go to people with 210 and above.

Thanks!

Did you get your interview date yet?

Thank you. :)

Hope you get your invite soon. :luck: With your numbers, I would think you'd have enough points to get an invite. Have you seen the point system? I found one on a UND site that said automatic invites for IS usually go to people with 210 and above.

Ye, I talked to the admissions folk. Looks like the cut off this year was 224 (they had a lot more applicants I guess) and I have 216, and so my file is heading to the re-review pile and I won't know if I have an interview until next Tuesday morning, another 7 days!:mad:
On the plus, I know that if granted an interview, it will be the 17th. Even though I know fewer interviews are given out from the re-review pile I guess having a score so close to the cut off can't be so bad!

Bump to learn about this point system others have spoken of :confused:

Got my interview...December 17th at 10.30am!:laugh:

How were you notified? Snail mail?

Well sort of. Lady in admin said they are mailing out the invites today. I didn't feel like waiting and since I was in the building, I just went down there and asked. I'm pretty sure the last of the interviews have been decided though so just give them a call I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard of a ranking system they use pre-interview? A number of years ago I'd heard an interviewee talking about how they were ranked X (some number below the number of applicants UND accepts) before their interview so all they had to do was not blow the interview and they'd be accepted. Anyone else heard of something like this? It was so long ago that I can't accurately remember the details...anyway the people who have interviews already scheduled would know if they are still using this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.