2010-2011 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:
Describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a question about the UTSW secondary. It asks to list all your courses that fulfilled the prerequisites, but they say "Do not include all courses you have taken in each category (biology, chemistry, etc.), only the necessary number of courses in order to fulfill the requirements."

If I didn't do as well in my basic biology courses (B's) but got A's in my upper division biology courses, would it be okay to list those instead? They all help towards fulfilling the biology requirement, and A's obviously look better than B's... I'm just not sure if they prefer that we list basic bio over upper division. (I understand that they're going to see those B's anyway on my transcript). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remembered just putting the courses I got A's in, because you're right, they never specify which of the courses you took. You'll be fine either way. This is just their way of making sure everybody has completed their pre-reqs.

So I was wondering if in general, we should reply to the prompt via essay format or just get straight to the point. I just wrote a paragraph of around 190 words but is it better to have an essay?? What do you guys think?:confused:

So I was wondering if in general, we should reply to the prompt via essay format or just get straight to the point. I just wrote a paragraph of around 190 words but is it better to have an essay?? What do you guys think?:confused:

I wrote an essay of sorts, but you should answer it however you feel.

so... UTSW ranked next to last on a ranking based on how many primary care doctors come out, and they're criticizing UTSW for not following their missions, when none of the four mission statements claim to promote primary care?

Check out the SDN article this week. Looks like Southwestern is in great company at the bottom of this rank.

"Of the 141 schools surveyed, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, Duke, University of Pennsylvania and Stanford all rank in the bottom twenty. The schools with the highest “social mission” scores, on the other hand, include all three historically black colleges surveyed – Morehouse College, Meharry Medical College and Howard University– along with a slew of public universities, such as the University of Kansas, Michigan State University, and the University of Mississippi."

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2010/06/most-elite-medical-schools-rank-low-on-social-mission

"The survey, says Prescott, “produces an inaccurate and limited picture. Medical schools meet society’s needs in many ways through their integrated missions in medical education, research and patient care.” He points to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, which educates the military physicians who treat service men and women but ranks in the bottom twenty."

Check out the SDN article this week. Looks like Southwestern is in great company at the bottom of this rank.

"Of the 141 schools surveyed, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, Duke, University of Pennsylvania and Stanford all rank in the bottom twenty. The schools with the highest “social mission” scores, on the other hand, include all three historically black colleges surveyed – Morehouse College, Meharry Medical College and Howard University– along with a slew of public universities, such as the University of Kansas, Michigan State University, and the University of Mississippi."

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2010/06/most-elite-medical-schools-rank-low-on-social-mission

"The survey, says Prescott, “produces an inaccurate and limited picture. Medical schools meet society’s needs in many ways through their integrated missions in medical education, research and patient care.” He points to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, which educates the military physicians who treat service men and women but ranks in the bottom twenty."

I could care less about the latest post (the "new" ranking system), as I agree with you KTD. I'm simply a fan of this blog because of the information on Southwestern. It's full of stuff that you can't find elsewhere and I'm hoping that applicants will sift through the posts to discover other perspectives on Southwestern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an MD/PhD interview for September as well. Anyone else have the September 17 date?

got an MD/PhD interview invite as well (September)

wow! congrats!!!

I'm guessing no one has received a regular MD interview yet...

Yay! I got an MD/PhD interview too for Sept. 17th. Do you think they screen before they offer interviews? I don't know how excited I should be getting! Can't wait to meet you all, though.

How long does it take to get the secondary? I submitted without LORs on july 2nd and submitted LORs on July 18.

How long does it take to get the secondary? I submitted without LORs on july 2nd and submitted LORs on July 18.

I don't think you get an email for the secondary. It's on their website. Everyone that applies has to do it. There's also some info about it on the TMDSAS website.

for those who got interview invites for the md/phd program, have you guys heard back from UT-SW yet? I sent an email but haven't heard anything back yet.

for those who got interview invites for the md/phd program, have you guys heard back from UT-SW yet? I sent an email but haven't heard anything back yet.

I haven't heard anything back and I sent a reply email the day I got my interview email...

If none of these options apply to me:
Interested in establishing a medical practice in an underserved area.
Interested in a career in research.
Interested in a career in teaching.
Interested in a career in primary care medicine.

Then do I leave that text box blank?

Quick question: How much did you guys write for the secondary essay? I'm sitting at about 150 words, but I don't know if they expect me to use a lot more.

I guess you would have to, but I would be very leery of not writing anything. Write SOMETHING if you can.

I guess you would have to, but I would be very leery of not writing anything. Write SOMETHING if you can.

Thats what I was thinking, except that my following essay for the second prompt explains why I want to go into specialty care, which I guess would be the opposite of all the check boxes.

Quick question: How much did you guys write for the secondary essay? I'm sitting at about 150 words, but I don't know if they expect me to use a lot more.

mine was about 400ish but I think as long as you sufficiently answer the question you are ok. I think they just want to see that you have put some thought into your answer.

Thanks for the reply. Another quick question, guys: I have a decent MCAT/gpa (3.7/33) and I already submitted my application, but I decided to retake the MCAT to increase my chances of getting in. Will they even consider me for an interview before waiting for my second MCAT to come in?

Thanks for the reply. Another quick question, guys: I have a decent MCAT/gpa (3.7/33) and I already submitted my application, but I decided to retake the MCAT to increase my chances of getting in. Will they even consider me for an interview before waiting for my second MCAT to come in?

Yes, they should consider you even if you are waiting for another MCAT to come in. Personally, I don't know why you're retaking... your scores are great, but to each their own.

For entering class 2009, their MCAT Score Range was 26 to 43 for those who were ACCEPTED. Their average was MCAT was 33.7.
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept20676/files/397484.html

Yes, they should consider you even if you are waiting for another MCAT to come in. Personally, I don't know why you're retaking... your scores are great, but to each their own.

For entering class 2009, their MCAT Score Range was 26 to 43 for those who were ACCEPTED. Their average was MCAT was 33.7.
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept20676/files/397484.html

My MDApps is outdated. My science gpa is actually closer to 3.4 now, which is on the lower end for most schools. I figure I have to counter it somehow.

*Edit: Also, I know I can do better.

I would leave it blank and then explain what you're passionate about in the essay sections. If you get an interview, they are going to ask you about your application and the things you marked you were interested in, so don't try to fake it. If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't/am not interested in any of those categories either.

Use as many words as you are comfortable with and that fully explain your point of view. If you can say everything you want/need to say in 150 words, then leave it at that. Don't add in extra fluff just to make it longer. But, on the other hand, make sure you have multiple other people read the essay you want to submit to make sure you are expressing yourself clearly. I would suggest parents, professors, and especially other friends who are applying to medical school as well; they know what you're going through.

I'm about to start my MS1 year at Southwestern in a couple of weeks, so I'll try to help with any specific questions. Good luck!!!

I haven't heard anything back and I sent a reply email the day I got my interview email...

I emailed back on Friday and got an auto-response saying that the person was out of the office until August 10th and if you need immediate attention email [some other person]. So maybe she decided to just send out all the information when she gets back.

Does UTSW display any status other than "Your secondary application has been submitted" when you submit the secondary? Do they change the status when your application is complete?

so have any of the md-phd interview invitees gotten any more info yet? i'm still waiting...

so have any of the md-phd interview invitees gotten any more info yet? i'm still waiting...

I am still waiting as well... Good thing I live in Dallas so I don't have to worry about figuring out hotel stuff.

Just got the App Received email... next up interview :xf:

Came to work today at 6am and saw this sign in the plaza...

"Welcome Class of 2014"

Looks like they will be busy this week settling in the new class! Hope next year when I see the sign it will be welcoming me... Hehe.

Interview invite 10 minutes ago!

*Edit: Application complete email came in on 8/17! I must have just caught the next batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.