2010-2011 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

UTMC_Aereal.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know when to expect their secondary?

I'm waiting for the secondary too. Lets hope we get it soon. Do they usually have essays?

I'm waiting for the secondary too. Lets hope we get it soon. Do they usually have essays?

Last year they gave an essay to explain any extenuating circumstances in your academics, and one about cultural competence. They don't look terribly difficult. You can check last years thread for the exact questions.

Hi everyone,

I'll be a first year at Toledo this fall, so if you have any questions about Toledo or their admissions process, feel free to direct them to me and I'll try to answer them.

Relating to the secondary - I'm not quite sure when it came out last year, but Toledo does screen their primary applications so you should expect it to take a little bit longer to get our secondary. Last year's is still available on the website - http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/admissions/secondary.html

Hi everyone,

I'll be a first year at Toledo this fall, so if you have any questions about Toledo or their admissions process, feel free to direct them to me and I'll try to answer them.

Relating to the secondary - I'm not quite sure when it came out last year, but Toledo does screen their primary applications so you should expect it to take a little bit longer to get our secondary. Last year's is still available on the website - http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/admissions/secondary.html

How long should those essays be? I am fairly confident in my response to the first one, but the cultural competence essay seems tough. I understand the concept, but I cant think of a meaningful experience with it. I try hard to demonstrate cultural competence in all situations. Any suggestion?

How long should those essays be? I am fairly confident in my response to the first one, but the cultural competence essay seems tough. I understand the concept, but I cant think of a meaningful experience with it. I try hard to demonstrate cultural competence in all situations. Any suggestion?

I suppose that the extenuating circumstances essay's length will really depend on what you're trying to explain. My cross-cultural competence essay was ~ 3/4 of a page, single-spaced. For me, it really helped to review the definition/components of a culture.

I suppose that the extenuating circumstances essay's length will really depend on what you're trying to explain. My cross-cultural competence essay was ~ 3/4 of a page, single-spaced. For me, it really helped to review the definition/components of a culture.

Thank you. I think I'll take some time to think this one through and come up with a strong answer.

Thank you. I think I'll take some time to think this one through and come up with a strong answer.

That's definitely a good course of action! Best of luck with your applications.

Got an email from Toledo saying the secondary won't be out until August and they haven't start preliminary screening yet.

I'm hoping Toledo likes me. :xf: My lab historically has students accepted into Toledo MD... but I might be one of the few OOS people in my lab. <sigh>

Got an email from Toledo saying the secondary won't be out until August and they haven't start preliminary screening yet.

I'm hoping Toledo likes me. :xf: My lab historically has students accepted into Toledo MD... but I might be one of the few OOS people in my lab. <sigh>

August?! Sheesh, I've been wondering why I haven't received any new ones in the last week (I'm honestly getting a little bored since I don't have secondaries to fill out - sad). I'm still waiting on this one, Wright State, NEOUCOM, Loyola, Drexel, UK and Wake [at least I heard I will be getting one from Wake though]. I just want to be complete everywhere!!

:luck: Thanks for the news, app buddy!

Members don't see this ad :)
August?! Sheesh, I've been wondering why I haven't received any new ones in the last week (I'm honestly getting a little bored since I don't have secondaries to fill out - sad). I'm still waiting on this one, Wright State, NEOUCOM, Loyola, Drexel, UK and Wake [at least I heard I will be getting one from Wake though]. I just want to be complete everywhere!!

:luck: Thanks for the news, app buddy!
Last week I got all caught up with all my secondaries and only received one new one. Since Tuesday though, I have gotten 5 more and I still have like 10+ more schools with secondaries coming. I just want to be done myself!!!

Haha. I got the email too. I'm actually sort of glad that its going to be a while. I'm caught up with secondaries, but I want some time to work on my essays for the ones I haven't gotten yet. I hope they don't change the questions, but just the format.

Just to let you antsy folks know, I am pretty sure Toledo has used some version of the cultural competence essay for many years now--my friend who just graduated from UTCOM had the same prompt. It might be a safe bet that this year's secondary will use it too. Also, the question ab extenuating circumstances does not require you to write an essay. I simply stated there were no extenuating circumstances affecting my education, and I was accepted.

Just to let you antsy folks know, I am pretty sure Toledo has used some version of the cultural competence essay for many years now--my friend who just graduated from UTCOM had the same prompt. It might be a safe bet that this year's secondary will use it too. Also, the question ab extenuating circumstances does not require you to write an essay. I simply stated there were no extenuating circumstances affecting my education, and I was accepted.

Last edited:
anyone heard anything more since that email we got in july about developing an online secondary?

they have a secondary published on their website but havent heard from them since 7/22

anyone heard anything more since that email we got in july about developing an online secondary?

they have a secondary published on their website but havent heard from them since 7/22

Just got a secondary request this morning and submitted. Yay for the move to online secondaries :)

does our example of cultural competency have to be health care related or can it be any life experience?

I still haven't heard from them since the initial email :(.

But I'm behind on secondaries anyways.. lol

I submitted the first day possible.. nothing..

ugh this is my last school and id really like to be able to say im done with secondaries...

screened in (oos)

Please enter your answers to the questions. Each answer can be up to 2000 characters in length.

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

How extensive is the initial screen here? After receiving my MCAT score, I have only decided to apply to a handful of schools that I think I might have a shot at (although it's hard to say you have a shot anywhere with a 26 MCAT), but I just got the e-mail that I was screened in. Do you think it would be worth it to finish this application? The rest of my app is alright, 3.5gpa and really good EC'S, most of which have to do with helping the underserved (hispanics in particular). Thanks guys.

If you're only applying to a handful of schools, why wouldn't you fill out every single secondary?

I'm also wondering how rigorous the screening is. I just got screened in as an OOS applicant.

Yea, screened in as well, finished secondary, however I cant submit unless I enter credit card information. I have a Fee Waiver, anyone else have this problem/ figure out how to submit?

If you're only applying to a handful of schools, why wouldn't you fill out every single secondary?

Well I had submitted my primary to 25 or so schools before my MCAT came in, but when I saw a 26 (and a 6 in PS no less) I figured I wouldn't get in anywhere...so I picked a few schools that I thought my app would go over well at (the schools that are committed to educating physicians that want to help the underserved, my state schools, etc.), but I really don't have much confidence in my chances this cycle. I was just going to pull my app altogether, but I figured since everything was already in, I would try and a few schools, and if I didn't get any love, retake the MCAT in January and apply next cycle. My dad offered to pay for an MCAT class with the money he would have spent helping me apply to all these schools. So, I'm not going to fill out all the secondaries because realistically I don't have a chance....I was just wondering about this one, because originally it wasn't one of the schools I thought would even consider me based on my stats, but I was just asking how rigorous the screening is, because if I got screened in, then maybe I do have some sort of a chance?

Yea, screened in as well, finished secondary, however I cant submit unless I enter credit card information. I have a Fee Waiver, anyone else have this problem/ figure out how to submit?

The e-mail says they don't accept the fee waiver, so you are probably going to have to pay the $80...

Finally received secondary.

Essay prompt:
The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.
web_required.gif

When did you guys initially get contacted by this school? I am in state and was verified last week but have no heard anything from them. Will my first contact be whether I am screened in or not? Thanks in advance for the replies!

6/18- Submitted AMCAS.
7/22- Received initial message saying they were working on the secondary.
8/16- Received secondary invite.

OOS- 32L/3.71

:luck: Good luck, all!

Last edited:
Finally got the secondary today. Didnt know they screened pre-secondary tho

The e-mail says they don't accept the fee waiver, so you are probably going to have to pay the $80...

"To create a new account click on the First Time Users link. An $80 non refundable application fee is due upon submission of the secondary application. All major credit cards are accepted. AMCAS fee waivers will be honored."

Lol....

yea i was wondering about the fee waiver thing too

anyone else getting an error when trying to submit? ive tried firefox and safari; do i need to use internet explorer?

Ahh sorry about the fee waiver thing, I got 2 secondary e-mails yesterday and I was mixing them up. Sorry about that!

Yay~!!!! Complete....

Commmon UT, show daddy some love...

Complete here as well - pretty fast, submitted 8/16 I think? Notified by email.

for your essays, did you guys talk about a clinical incidence where you demonstrated cultural competence, or just an experience that you were able to tie into medicine?

for your essays, did you guys talk about a clinical incidence where you demonstrated cultural competence, or just an experience that you were able to tie into medicine?

i did the latter. hope it's ok!

signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours! And hopefully, U. Toledo, you like me!

i did the latter. hope it's ok!

oh good, I was having a hard time thinking of a clinical one, since I have a good example of it in my PS already. Thanks!!

yeah...I'm a bit confused about this one...I can't figure out how to make this fee waiver work here...

yeah...I'm a bit confused about this one...I can't figure out how to make this fee waiver work here...

My suggestion here is to call the admissions office. In my experience, UTCOM has one of the friendliest and most receptive admission offices around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.