2010-2011 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I got my "significant ties to the state" email today from the U. Replied to it, apparently they only give you until the 16th of July to tell them why you have ties to the sate. Pretty sure my ties are strong enough but only time will tell when they finally get back to me.

Still waiting for that e-mail. I am not looking forward to this secondary though - I hear it is a beast.

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that secondaries started to arrive mid August last cycle.

Well Utah emailed me back approving my petition to apply with strong ties. Their email said "We will send you an email soon inviting you to complete the required secondary materials." Who knows what that means for a time line.

Just got my OOS status approved. I forgot about the 6 required letters of recommendation! Why does Utah have to play me like that?

I was approved as an OOSer too. Any idea if once your approved you are held to higher standards, I gotta think so...

I was approved as an OOSer too. Any idea if once your approved you are held to higher standards, I gotta think so...

Well I don't really understand what you mean by this. You are still kept in an oos pool once approved which means like most state schools it is harder to get in than if you are in state. But if you are not approved to apply then I'm pretty sure you are not even sent a secondary.

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompt(s) for the U's secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompt(s) for the U's secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Secondary isn't out yet. If it's the same as last year (which is probable) check out last years thread.

Secondary hit my mailbox this afternoon. Here is the "prompt"

The personal statement is in addition to the personal comments provided on the AMCAS application. The personal comments from your AMCAS application will not be acceptable as your personal statement, although you may expand on an idea expressed in your personal comments. The personal statement should not be used to list your accomplishments and activities since they are noted elsewhere in your application.
The personal statement is an opportunity for you to present yourself and your motivation for pursuing a career in medicine to the Admissions Committee. Topics for the personal statement may include activities or individuals who have influenced your life and shaped your decision to study medicine. Share what you have learned on a personal level. The statement should be specific, succinct, straightforward and sincere. You should discuss your motivation and your enthusiasm for medicine. The committee is interested in your life long goals, both personally and in medicine, and will want to know that you are committed to excellence in all areas of medicine.
Use the space provided to enter your personal statement. The available space is 4500 characters. You will receive an error message if you exceed the available space. Spell check is not available. You may copy and paste your personal statement from another application/program, e.g., Microsoft Word, WordPerfect.

OOS, just received their secondary today. I was approved as an OOS applicant July 6th. Honestly it is at the bottom of my pile right now because of the secondary it may take a while before I get around to finishing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything concrete regarding rolling admissions? General consensus seems to be they do not use rolling admissions but I was told by someone that works with the students at the school that it is important to apply as early as possible because the first applicants get the first acceptances.

Does anyone know anything concrete regarding rolling admissions? General consensus seems to be they do not use rolling admissions but I was told by someone that works with the students at the school that it is important to apply as early as possible because the first applicants get the first acceptances.

This is somewhat true. Prior to the month of March/April. Only about 10 to 20 percent of the class is filled with early acceptances. Applying early won't increase your chances of being accepted early as these applicants are taken early because their total score is far and above the majority.

Anyone know about how long it takes from the time of submitting the secondary application till it is complete

Does Utah not send out a secondary until the AMCAS application is submitted and completely processed?

Does Utah not send out a secondary until the AMCAS application is submitted and completely processed?

I didn't get a secondary invitation until a few days after my AMCAS was processed.

Hi everyone,

i was just looking up the tuition for this school and noticed that it said 25 k per semester. Did i read this wrong? Does semester actually mean "entire academic year" in utah?

Someone pls advise. this will determine whether or not I fill out the secondary. I dont have 75 k. especially to live in utah...no offense

Thanks in advance!!

INTERVIEW! I had to pick three dates - Sept. 8th, 9th, or 10th. I guess they'll pick for me.

I heard somewhere that all IS applicants that meet the minimum requirements will get an interview. Anyone know if this is valid?

Did you ever receive an email saying you were complete? did they send an email for the interview?

Never received an email saying I was complete. I had to continuously check website provided by UofUT. I did receive an email for interview invite. Officially scheduled for 9/8/10! :)

Has anyone received a different prompt for the MD/PhD program? If so, can someone please post it?

Thanks!

When I talked with the MD/PhD office, they said that the secondary was the same (also, if you have any MD/PhD questions, give their office a call, they are seriously the nicest admissions office I have ever talked to)

When I talked with the MD/PhD office, they said that the secondary was the same (also, if you have any MD/PhD questions, give their office a call, they are seriously the nicest admissions office I have ever talked to)

Awesome! Did they try to schmooze ya? ;)

P.S. Thanks for answering in both threads. Where else did you apply (MSTP-wise)? I guess I should've PMd the post-script, but what-evs.

INTERVIEW INVITE!!! This makes me feel so much better after that rejection from Tulane :D

EDIT: secondary complete around 8/7

Last edited:
I heard somewhere that all IS applicants that meet the minimum requirements will get an interview. Anyone know if this is valid?

They interview all IS applicants who are above average in 5 out the 8 categories listed in the secondary app. It really isn't that hard to get an interview if you are IS.

My AMCAS was verified a couple of weeks ago, and I still haven't received an invitation to fill out a secondary. How long has it taken everybody to get that secondary?

For those of you who have already interviewed, what was the feel during the interview? Was it relaxed, grilling, conversational...? I have my interview on Monday and just have no idea what to expect.

Hi Hi Everyone,

So excited first interview invite of the cycle and I'm out of state so surprised and shocked and ecstatic can't even put into words lol. I was wondering though how was the interview for those who have had the experience. Any ideas in how many get accepted post interview?

Thanks Thanks

Hi Hi Everyone,

So excited first interview invite of the cycle and I'm out of state so surprised and shocked and ecstatic can't even put into words lol. I was wondering though how was the interview for those who have had the experience. Any ideas in how many get accepted post interview?

Thanks Thanks

congratz!! I'm wondering the same thing.. just got an invite today

For those OOSers who were invited to fill out a secondary. How "strong" were your ties? The requirements on the website are so vague. Thanks!

When I interviewed, about half were out of state applicants, but most of them had close ties to the state. Some of them attended school in state and some moved here from out of state.

The interview was very laid back. Both of my interviewers were very nice. They didn't ask me any questions like "why do you want to be a doctor" mostly they just asked me about my experiences and how they led to me want a career in medicine.

If you PM me I will tell you the name of the interviewer I had that was amazingly awesome.

No ties at all however I do fall under the underrepresented physicians in Utah since I'm Filipino which I'm guessing is what got me the interview.

For those OOSers who were invited to fill out a secondary. How "strong" were your ties? The requirements on the website are so vague. Thanks!

I just got invited to interview! OOS (CA), 32M, 3.35s, 3.56c, "above average" in I think 6 of their categories - avg in the other 2. I'll be interviewing Nov 18, 22, or 24.

Nobody that has interviewed has posted anything since the interview - I'd love to hear something!

I just got invited to interview! OOS (CA), 32M, 3.35s, 3.56c, "above average" in I think 6 of their categories - avg in the other 2. I'll be interviewing Nov 18, 22, or 24.

Nobody that has interviewed has posted anything since the interview - I'd love to hear something!

I just interviewed on Monday. They start out with the typical presentation about financial aid and the school and stuff like that. The lady did go on and on about inappropriate interview questions and about how some people are invited back for a second interview date should the two interviewers have such a huge discrepancy about one applicant in their reviews. I wonder if the school has been sued before because it was like harassment training.

The interviewers were really nice. I got asked the "Why Utah?" question, but I think that's because I am OOS and have no ties to the state. Everything they asked was pretty standard. The best part is lunch; they take you to a buffet thing on campus.

Last edited:
Any chance they mentioned anything in terms of the numbers accepted after interview especially for out of state and when you would hear back? Thanks

I just interviewed on Monday. They start out with the typical presentation about financial aid and the school and stuff like that. The lady did go on and on about inappropriate interview questions and about how some people are invited back for a second interview date should the two interviewers have such a huge discrepancy about one applicant in their reviews. I wonder if the school has been sued before because it was like harassment training.

The interviewers were really nice. I got asked the "Why Utah?" question, but I think that's because I am OOS and have no ties to the state. Everything they asked was pretty standard. The best part is lunch; they take you to a buffet thing on campus.

Thanks for posting, Brinkley. What did you do in the spare time? How was the self-guided tour?

hey guys for some odd reason i can't find it now but do you know where the thread is with interview info specific for university of utah? thanks thanks

hey guys for some odd reason i can't find it now but do you know where the thread is with interview info specific for university of utah? thanks thanks

interview feedback.. too lazy to find the url, but im sure if you type somethign like "sdn utah interview feedback" into google you'll get the page youre looking for.

Hey Everyone,

I'm a second year medical student at the U. Please let me know if you have any questions about the school or the new curriculum or anything else like that. Good luck with all of your applications.

I got a letter in the mail today from Utah and figured it must be an acceptance since I didn't think they sent out post-interview rejections or waitlists until March. I was wrong :). Oh well, best of luck to all the rest of you! :luck:

I got a letter in the mail today from Utah and figured it must be an acceptance since I didn't think they sent out post-interview rejections or waitlists until March. I was wrong :). Oh well, best of luck to all the rest of you! :luck:

Sorry about the bad news. When did you interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.