2010-2011 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

3. What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely one of my top choices as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish you all the best of luck, because right now it looks like a nice portion of your class will be taken up by this year's acceptees.

Buzz-kill :laugh:

Seriously, though--good luck guys! I'll be matriculating at UVa in the fall and from everything that I have seen and heard so far, it is an amazing school. I'll try to make it over to this thread to answer questions about my experience there.

Yeah, good luck everyone! I've subscribed to this thread, so I'll be around to answer any questions during the application season.

I'm also going to be a first year, so I won't have much experience but hopefully I'll be able to provide some insight into the new developments. I think it's an amazingly flexible curriculum, and you guys will benefit from our initial run through of everything. Good luck!

I wish you all the best of luck, because right now it looks like a nice portion of your class will be taken up by this year's acceptees.

was their yield higher than expected? if so, are they asking people to defer a year?

was their yield higher than expected? if so, are they asking people to defer a year?

Their original planned ideal class size was about 140 with a maximum possibility of 160. They ended up still being at like 189 after May 15th so they have since started asking people to defer for a year or do an MPH first, with monetary incentive. So if all of the extra 29 people decide to stay at UVA and defer for now, they would theoretically cut into next year's class. Keep in mind though that the number might still go down as this is not taking into account people who might drop out later in the summer after getting off the waitlists at other schools. I was one of those people (although I dropped before May 15th).

In any case, good luck guys :luck:! UVA is an awesome school and all their new facilities looked amazing. They also had one of the nicest and friendliest interview days I've been to so I hope you guys will all get to experience it too.

for what it's worth, i'm a uva med school grad (2008) and did my prelim medicine year there too, and i think it's a great school. they do what they can to minimize stress while providing a very good education. we always do well on the steps and especially in the match (both are posted on the "med-ed.virginia.edu" website). c'ville is a great place to live, too. i'm happy to answer any questions, with the caveat that i've been away from uva for a little less than a year. werd.

They've sent out two e-mails regarding deferrals... the first said that they were laxing their deferral policy, and the second offered a financial incentive. The second seems to have done much more good than the first (go figure :rolleyes:).

Like Steeler7588 and justinbaily, I'll be matriculating in the fall and will help answer any questions for you guys.

Once again, good luck :)

I'm one of the people that accepted the financial deferral of sorts (the MPH option), so I'll be joining your class (of 2015)! I'll also try to help answer any questions you guys have about the application process - although since I won't be in the program this year I can't answer questions about that.

Anyone remember what the essay questions were for the secondary applications? maybe even the char limits? Maybe i can get a head start on it :)

Assuming the class size is going to hold steady at 162, I'd guess maybe ~20 spots are taken in the Class of 2015 by people like Cyradis. I imagine they'd keep the class size at 162 again, however, so the deferrals may be off-set by a larger class than y'all normally would have had.
Anyone remember what the essay questions were for the secondary applications? maybe even the char limits? Maybe i can get a head start on it :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8120029&postcount=1

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (300 word limit)
2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (300 word limit)
3. What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this? (300 word limit)

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming the class size is going to hold steady at 162, I'd guess maybe ~20 spots are taken in the Class of 2015 by people like Cyradis. I imagine they'd keep the class size at 162 again, however, so the deferrals may be off-set by a larger class than y'all normally would have had.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8120029&postcount=1

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (300 word limit)
2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (300 word limit)
3. What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this? (300 word limit)

Thank you very much sir!

I'll be applying from OOS here, but it's one of my top choices at the moment. Sounds like a great school!

I'll be applying from OOS here, but it's one of my top choices at the moment. Sounds like a great school!

UVA is one of the most OOS-friendly public schools you can apply to =)

secondary received (OOS, submitted 6/13)

what were the secondaries?

Same as last year, if I remember right (don't feel like looking it up)...

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

Please answer the question in 350 words or less

3. What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this?

Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

Thank you so much. Tell me with a 3.82 and a 29R is it worth applying here? my MCAT doesn't exactly meet criteria but with a 10,9,10 I don't think ill be screened. hmmm

Do they screen for secondaries? What are their minimum requirements?

Just got my secondary too. Based on the info on their website it seems that they don't screen.

just got the secondary as well. but it seems like their website is down or something because it wont load. are there any essays?

So this may be more appropriate for the "Chance Me" section, but since I am applying only here and VCU, I was wondering what were the major criteria for UVA.

My MCATs are pretty good (V11, PS14, BS13 -- 38R), GPA is okay (3.6 and 3.4math/sci) but I have some unusual weaknesses in my app (I graduated 2 years early and am young, but I am currently working in a clinic as an MA). I did some research (summer and 2 semesters) and have a pending publication or two, but I was just wondering, seeing the competition, what factors are generally important here - I heard some rather discouraging and critical remarks about this school but also good things.

Submitted my app today; waiting...

So this may be more appropriate for the "Chance Me" section, but since I am applying only here and VCU, I was wondering what were the major criteria for UVA.

My MCATs are pretty good (V11, PS14, BS13 -- 38R), GPA is okay (3.6 and 3.4math/sci) but I have some unusual weaknesses in my app (I graduated 2 years early and am young, but I am currently working in a clinic as an MA). I did some research (summer and 2 semesters) and have a pending publication or two, but I was just wondering, seeing the competition, what factors are generally important here - I heard some rather discouraging and critical remarks about this school but also good things.

Submitted my app today; waiting...

FWIW... I graduated a year early, and worked as a phlebotomist in the hospital for about 8 months prior to interviewing. I'm 22 now, will turn 23 at the end of September. My clinical work was a nice talking point, by my interviewers were really focused on the activities I did to mature myself. I'm a reapplicant, so I was asked by one of my interviewers if I was ready for med school the first time I applied. I had absolutely 0 research, though. I'll be starting in a month :)

...My clinical work was a nice talking point, by my interviewers were really focused on the activities I did to mature myself...

I guess I could spend more time in a walk-in humidor, or perhaps I should procure an oak cask in which to curl up.:D Thanks for the tip. So they seemed pretty concerned with that then? What did you discuss, and what do you think they are looking for?

I guess I could spend more time in a walk-in humidor, or perhaps I should procure an oak cask in which to curl up.:D Thanks for the tip. So they seemed pretty concerned with that then? What did you discuss, and what do you think they are looking for?

I didn't apply to UVA the first time I applied, but the second time, I really focused on how I grew up, so I'm coming from a very biased perspective. I talked about one activity that I did that got me a little more out of my shell and more willing to speak to strangers. I spoke about how I looked into other careers and even started going for others, but still decided that becoming a doctor was right for me. Things I did to help me grow as a person, not as a future doc. I think if you focus on those things, you'll be better off for any interview you go to.

Maturity is something that you have to show on any interview. I know one of my interviews that I didn't do so well on, I didn't have a solid argument... I was way too wishy-washy. But one of the things I loved about the interviews at UVA is that they really get to know your application. I mean, you won't go in with that standard 'tell me about yourself' question... they'll start off asking questions to get into the deeper meanings of your application. So make sure that you don't put anything on there that you might not want to talk about.

How much of the 350 words do you anticipate on using? I find myself at around 150, and writing mid-length paragraphs. Any thoughts?

How much of the 350 words do you anticipate on using? I find myself at around 150, and writing mid-length paragraphs. Any thoughts?

I used between 300-350, but it'll vary depending on the person. My general rule is to take advantage of the opportunity and space they're giving you to show who you are. However, don't add meaningless info that'll bog down your writing. Be smart with it. If you have room to elaborate, do it. If you've said everything you need to, then you're done.
:luck:

I used between 300-350, but it'll vary depending on the person. My general rule is to take advantage of the opportunity and space they're giving you to show who you are. However, don't add meaningless info that'll bog down your writing. Be smart with it. If you have room to elaborate, do it. If you've said everything you need to, then you're done.
:luck:

:thumbup:

I didn't apply to UVA the first time I applied, but the second time, I really focused on how I grew up, so I'm coming from a very biased perspective. I talked about one activity that I did that got me a little more out of my shell and more willing to speak to strangers. I spoke about how I looked into other careers and even started going for others, but still decided that becoming a doctor was right for me. Things I did to help me grow as a person, not as a future doc. I think if you focus on those things, you'll be better off for any interview you go to.

Maturity is something that you have to show on any interview. I know one of my interviews that I didn't do so well on, I didn't have a solid argument... I was way too wishy-washy. But one of the things I loved about the interviews at UVA is that they really get to know your application. I mean, you won't go in with that standard 'tell me about yourself' question... they'll start off asking questions to get into the deeper meanings of your application. So make sure that you don't put anything on there that you might not want to talk about.

I agree with this completely. The interviewers at UVA were more prepared than at any other school - you can definitely tell that they read your app closely. They aren't playing "gotcha" or anything like that, but they are definitely interested in what you wrote and will be asking good questions to probe a little deeper.

The best and most comfortable interviews I had.

Thank you so much. Tell me with a 3.82 and a 29R is it worth applying here? my MCAT doesn't exactly meet criteria but with a 10,9,10 I don't think ill be screened. hmmm

They don't screen, but realistically your chances are very low. OOS competition is fierce here - you would have trouble getting an interview even if you were instate.

Quick question for you all, I've already done a fair amount of research, but just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. My girlfriend and I are applying to MSW and MD programs respectively.

Anyone know of a MSW program close to charlottesville (including satellites campuses of other programs)? I think the closest i've found is VCU which is too far away.

Hello all I recently moved to Charlottesville for work and wanted to leave this note for people regarding traveling here ( i fear i will not have time in the future to be on here much)

To get to Charlottesville the cheapest and most convenient way imho is to fly to DCA or Dullies not Richmond, instead of then renting a car or taking a cab like the website suggests look at greyhoud/ amtrak to get to the actual city (round trip 46 dollars)

In the actual city there are free city buses or you can find rental cars (zip cars are available)

Complete as of this morning :) First completed application!

:xf: for some good news!

Hmm....Does anyone know why on my status update page, there's still a red exclamation point next to rec letters even though they received all 4 of my letters a while ago? All 4 letters are listed right next to it...

Hmm....Does anyone know why on my status update page, there's still a red exclamation point next to rec letters even though they received all 4 of my letters a while ago? All 4 letters are listed right next to it...

that happened to me too. i called and they said they were having a technical problem, and the next day it was fixed...not sure if it fixed itself with time, or my call did the trick though...

Just wondering what people are putting for the "greatest personal challenge as a physician" question?
Are you talking about weaknesses you have now or problems that you anticipate having later as a doctor?

Just wondering what people are putting for the "greatest personal challenge as a physician" question?
Are you talking about weaknesses you have now or problems that you anticipate having later as a doctor?
It's not necessarily a question about weaknesses (not as how I interpreted it). A challenge doesn't have to be a weakness. I wrote about what I considered to be the the negative of practicing medicine that most concerned me.

I took it to mean something ethical. For instance, I would have a difficult time letting a Jehovah Witness who needed blood die because they refused a transfusion. It's their right to refuse, of course, but it would be personally troubling to me.

Can we hear from someone about the NxGen? I am filling up my secondary apps for UVa and I think the new curriculum definitely sounds interesting. The program overview looks great on the website, but I think it would help to hear from someone who has gone through its first run last year :)

Can we hear from someone about the NxGen? I am filling up my secondary apps for UVa and I think the new curriculum definitely sounds interesting. The program overview looks great on the website, but I think it would help to hear from someone who has gone through its first run last year :)

The new curriculum doesn't start until we start next month. There have been sort of trial runs... some of the professors have been moving towards this curriculum for years, but it hasn't been done in its entirety, partly because it was dependent on the construction of the new medical building, which just finished up with construction last month (I think).

Those of us following this thread who are part of the class of 2014 will be happy to answer questions regarding the curriculum once we actually experience it. It will be interesting when we move up to second year, though, as there's only one room designed for the curriculum. The second room is a more traditional lecture hall. That's what the second year class this year will be using most of the time for their classes, while we're downstairs in the learning lab.

The new curriculum doesn't start until we start next month. There have been sort of trial runs... some of the professors have been moving towards this curriculum for years, but it hasn't been done in its entirety, partly because it was dependent on the construction of the new medical building, which just finished up with construction last month (I think).

Thanks mvenus929! It sounds like the "renewal" is mostly like on hardware then since some professors have already been moving towards more integrated curriculum. Do you know if there is going to be a major change aside from the 3-day Cell to Society class(workshop?) for the next class? i don't mean to say that more change is better, but I am just trying to pinpoint what aspect of UVa that really distinguishes itself aside from the amazing facilities you are going to have. How about the current students, any thought?

I took it to mean something ethical. For instance, I would have a difficult time letting a Jehovah Witness who needed blood die because they refused a transfusion. It's their right to refuse, of course, but it would be personally troubling to me.

but how often does somehting like that happen? i was leaning towards something more general that a doctor faces often, but now i might rethink it...

Thanks mvenus929! It sounds like the "renewal" is mostly like on hardware then since some professors have already been moving towards more integrated curriculum. Do you know if there is going to be a major change aside from the 3-day Cell to Society class(workshop?) for the next class? i don't mean to say that more change is better, but I am just trying to pinpoint what aspect of UVa that really distinguishes itself aside from the amazing facilities you are going to have. How about the current students, any thought?

I'm going to try to answer this as best I can, but forgive me if I misinterpret you.

Last year, the classroom-based learning was mostly lecture. They would sit in a lecture for 50 minutes, get a 10 minute break, and do it again, and again, and again. Four hours total per day, with clinical activities and whatnot in the afternoon. I sat in on one of the second-year classes when I interviewed, and it was just like college lectures.

Starting with our class, it's more 'we're going to give you a problem at the start of class, let you work on it, then pull it all back together' type of teaching. You're not being talked at, but rather working together to get the answer. The reason I said it's not a complete change was based on what they told us for second-look weekend... they said that a lot of the faculty had been focusing more on switching to case-based studies, rather than straight lecture. Anatomy seems to be the most integrated, but we won't start that until January. I imagine a good reason they told us this was to reassure us that we weren't going to be total guinea pigs. It also will focus much more on technology, and every student will be required to bring a laptop to class with them.

The way they're going to be doing exams, though, will be more in line with what they're doing with the USMLE... much more case-based. So, in theory, teaching in this style will improve the Step 1 scores to be more in line with what the Step 2 scores are.

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out. I imagine that after we finish going through each block, they'll get our feedback and work out the bugs so that it's better for the class of 2015.

As for the Cells to Society class... it's my understanding that they've been doing it for several years now as a part of orientation week, and it's continuing with us. We have pure orientation activities on Mon and Tues, and Wed, Thur, And Fri are Cells to Society. I guess there's another course in like January or something as well.

but how often does somehting like that happen? i was leaning towards something more general that a doctor faces often, but now i might rethink it...

People refuse treatment that's good for them (or, at least, necessary for life) all the time, the Jehovah's witness was just one example. But that's just what I chose... you write about whatever you think will be the biggest challenge you will face personally, whether it be something to do with the profession itself, or your family life, or whatever.

Cells to society has been done for many years. I had a week long cells to society session. I think the topic recently has been Diabetes because it's HUGE in this region. It was 5 days long with some lectures, small group discussions, then a project at the end. It's not a serious project...we portrayed diabetic retinopathy with a cookie cake and some red icing to depict neovascularization. Someone else did some puppet show and another group role played. So it's a fun learning experience. Gets you working with some classmates quickly and gets you to know them. That whole week there are lots of orientation activities so you get to relive college for another week.

Lecture style is going to change completely. It won't be in lecture halls but in technology integrated classrooms. I don't know what that means or entails. When and if I find out, I'll let you guys know. There's an open house event coming up sometime in the near future.

For the first essay, they ask you why UVA and what factors are important. For me it's like two questions. I used two paragraphs to answer why UVA and then another paragraph (one sentence) listing important factors. Is this the way it is supposed to be, or do you guys think they expect you to integrate important factors into why UVA?

I wouldn't just list important factors. To me, the factors motivating you to apply are the reasons that you would like to attend UVa. I would write it as a typical essay.

I have a question about the In-State Educational Priveleges portion of the secondary. There are two sections on it - one for the applicant, and one for parents. I am married, and have lived in VA as a resident for several years now, although my parents live in Pennsylvania. In the section for the applicant, I filled out all of the information about how long I've lived here, taxes, voter registration, etc.

Section B, for parents, asks things like "How long have you lived in Virginia?" It seems like none of these questions will apply, so do my parents need to fill out this section, even though I'm no longer a dependent?

Perhaps someone else has run into this? If not, I will call the school for more information and share what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.