2010-2011 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome applicants and reapplicants for the entering class of 2010

Members don't see this ad :)
round 2 ladies and gents...

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone, I hope you have a great application cycle. I was honored to be accepted here in the last cycle and am excited to begin this August.

Submit early and rock the interview.

Last edited:
AMCAS Application submitted yesterday, processed today! Wooo feels good getting it done early. Now where's my secondary?!

Does anyone think that the end of June is too late to apply?

Med schools wont even receive primaries until june 25th. However, if you wait too long it could take 4-5 weeks to process, so sooner the better.

Whoa rejected MD-only already - that was quick. I'm OOS and I guess still under consideration for the MSTP.

so far I got the initial letter.. I am a CA resident but I do have a lot of activities with the underserved and am URM so hopefully that will help

besides my high priority in state schools UDubb is my #1, so hopefully I will get a secondary!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa rejected MD-only already - that was quick. I'm OOS and I guess still under consideration for the MSTP.

I hope to not appear to be a jackass, but did they give you an initial email and then a rejection or did they instantly reject you? I just wanna know if I have some hope haha

I didn't get an initial email; immediate rejection.

secondary received... WWAMI applicant

OOS, got an "initial email" saying I would hear in a few weeks if I am still under consideration/ would receive secondary at that time.

wow this application is confusing. do all washington residents really have to fill out that survey? it asks for essays! not fair.

Yeah this secondary is brutal... 4 essays to start... then 2 more because I'm a Montana resident... then 2 more for TRUST sheeesh

Oh yeah! Rejected OOS. Said I didn't meet the initial screen for OOS. 31Q and 3.7. I wonder what the cutoff is.

I don't think there's a numeric cutoff. I have pretty high stats and didn't make it so I think the URM/dedication to helping underserved populations is more important.

I don't think there's a numeric cutoff. I have pretty high stats and didn't make it so I think the URM/dedication to helping underserved populations is more important.

+1 although I don't think they even read my PS/ECs because that was all about underserved populations. Oh well. 'Twas expected.

+1 although I don't think they even read my PS/ECs because that was all about underserved populations. Oh well. 'Twas expected.

but what about your activities? hmm maybe you can give them a call? It really sucks to see you dedicated to something that they are looking for and for them to not give you a fair shot

but what about your activities? hmm maybe you can give them a call? It really sucks to see you dedicated to something that they are looking for and for them to not give you a fair shot

Like I said, PS and ECs ("activities") were about underserved communities. I had resigned myself to a pre-secondary rejection from UWSOM the day I submitted my primary, so I'm honestly fine with it all. I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they read my entire app.

Could you post what the questions are? Thanks.

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

Other Personal Comments or Publications (list abstracts)

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? Limit 250 words.

--

and for WA and MT residents (thanks chrisoc13 :oops:) (250 words each):

Please identify the rural and underserved areas wherein you have lived/worked for more than two months (community name, population, state and dates lived in that community).

How do you imagine your personal and professional lives intersecting ten years from now? (Describe a "day in my life" if you wish.) (Whaaaat? :eek:)

Last edited:
is there a limit to that autobiography? how brief is brief?

Just got started on mine. It's a bit brutal, but honestly the worst part is getting certified by your state. So far that's what has been the biggest pain in the butt for me. The MT (not MO fyi ;)) questionnaire is weird. I am supposed to choose a date when I started getting MT residency. I don't know, when I was 1 and my parents moved there? Ridiculous question. Hopefully they don't give me a hard time because I attended a private out of state university.

For those of you shot down already don't take it personally, I'm pretty sure the University of Washington ONLY accepts students within the WWAMI footprint area. I don't think they even look for exceptional academics or URM very much, so calling probably wouldn't do anything.

Just got started on mine. It's a bit brutal, but honestly the worst part is getting certified by your state. So far that's what has been the biggest pain in the butt for me. The MT (not MO fyi ;)) questionnaire is weird. I am supposed to choose a date when I started getting MT residency. I don't know, when I was 1 and my parents moved there? Ridiculous question. Hopefully they don't give me a hard time because I attended a private out of state university.

For those of you shot down already don't take it personally, I'm pretty sure the University of Washington ONLY accepts students within the WWAMI footprint area. I don't think they even look for exceptional academics or URM very much, so calling probably wouldn't do anything.

they do its just tough: from their site

If I am an out of state applicant, what can I do to be competitive?

Apart from applicants having the academic qualifications, successful applicants from outside the WWAMI region either come from a disadvantaged background and/or have demonstrated a strong commitment and service to the underserved populations.

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...nts/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx#apply

they do its just tough: from their site

If I am an out of state applicant, what can I do to be competitive?

Apart from applicants having the academic qualifications, successful applicants from outside the WWAMI region either come from a disadvantaged background and/or have demonstrated a strong commitment and service to the underserved populations.

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...nts/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx#apply

Can I just say, I love love love UW's FAQ. It's the most candid, helpful thing I've ever read from any med school.

Can I just say, I love love love UW's FAQ. It's the most candid, helpful thing I've ever read from any med school.

seriously! me too! they really lay out the details, I really love it-- I do not feel shrouded in mystery. UW is easily one of my top choices, and I would choose it over a few CA schools (Im a CA resident)

Yeah they certainly take some, but very few. Last year they only took 14 out of 216 outside the WWAMI area. One more thing I really like about UW is that their application fee is extremely small, and they clearly don't simply want everyone's money because they shoot down people without giving a secondary. I wish more schools were not so quick to money grab.

did anyone else get an email saying they need the mcat scores... but there wasn't any link to the secondary application...

Please identify the rural and underserved areas wherein you have lived/worked for more than two months (community name, population, state and dates lived in that community).

Is everybody just listing the various underserved areas where they've worked, or also writing a short description with each area?

instarejected - didn't even receive an initial email first. I'm OOS, so not unexpected. By the sound of that secondary, maybe the rejection is a good thing...

I'm not sure if many if you have received secondaries from other places yet, but I actually thought UW's secondary last year wasn't that bad. Yeah it does suck that you have to write another personal statement but some other schools were worse for me. And UW's autofill section on the secondary is awesome! Most schools make you retype all of your class and grade info...

Is everybody just listing the various underserved areas where they've worked, or also writing a short description with each area?

Ha ha... I don't know about "everybody," but I for one have lived a comfortable, middle-class life in suburbia, so I will be leaving that question blank. I don't know why this is relevant to just WA and MT residents, but I do not appreciate it. (Especially since I have zero interest in rural medicine.) Oh well, such is life.

You might have already been here before, but the following website should answer most residency application Q's: http://mus.edu/residency/default.asp.
If you have more questions, e-mail Laurie Tobol: [email protected].

In regards to your date of MT residency starting, read the following (from the website above):

The 12-month period referred to in subsection B does not begin to run until an act indicative of intent to become a Montana resident is taken. The following will serve as such indicators:
(a) an automobile belonging to the person seeking in-state status is registered in Montana, (b) a Montana driver's license is acquired, (c) a Montana voter registration is acquired, (d) a principal residence is purchased,
(e) a resident Montana individual income tax return is filed.

So, choose one of those five acts that you have done and track your physical presence for the twelve months following that act. Oh, and being outside MT for more than thirty days in that year is fine if you were out of the state for educational purposes. I was accepted to the E-'10 class as MT TRUST and was not hurt by attending a private college in the midwest. Again, do not be shy to e-mail Laurie Tobol w/ questions.

Ha ha... I don't know about "everybody," but I for one have lived a comfortable, middle-class life in suburbia, so I will be leaving that question blank. I don't know why this is relevant to just WA and MT residents, but I do not appreciate it. (Especially since I have zero interest in rural medicine.) Oh well, such is life.

I think it has to do with these states having the TRUST program.

You might have already been here before, but the following website should answer most residency application Q's: http://mus.edu/residency/default.asp.
If you have more questions, e-mail Laurie Tobol: [email protected].

In regards to your date of MT residency starting, read the following (from the website above):

The 12-month period referred to in subsection B does not begin to run until an act indicative of intent to become a Montana resident is taken. The following will serve as such indicators:
(a) an automobile belonging to the person seeking in-state status is registered in Montana, (b) a Montana driver's license is acquired, (c) a Montana voter registration is acquired, (d) a principal residence is purchased,
(e) a resident Montana individual income tax return is filed.

So, choose one of those five acts that you have done and track your physical presence for the twelve months following that act. Oh, and being outside MT for more than thirty days in that year is fine if you were out of the state for educational purposes. I was accepted to the E-'10 class as MT TRUST and was not hurt by attending a private college in the midwest. Again, do not be shy to e-mail Laurie Tobol w/ questions.

Thank you very much! That makes a lot more sense now. Thank you for being so willing to help with questions. Looks like I will be using my drivers license since I cannot remember when I registered to vote in MT. I will have to figure that out somehow for a copy of my voter registration to be sent in to MT as well.

the secondary has been under maintenance all day! how do they expect us to get stuff done when we can't access the site?

On "Other Personal Comments or Publications (list abstracts)", do you think we should enter the full abstract or just the title/authors/journal of the publication?

Thanks!

I'm OOS, and also got that "initial email" a couple weeks ago. Still waiting for news on whether or not I'll get a secondary. Have any other OOS-ers heard anything?

I'm OOS, and also got that "initial email" a couple weeks ago. Still waiting for news on whether or not I'll get a secondary. Have any other OOS-ers heard anything?

havent heard anything yet-- but I assume they wouldnt leave us hanging. The initial email said 4-6 weeks so we got time :)

haven't heard anything else and, yeah, don't expect to for a couple weeks. Which gives me time for all the other secondaries I'm working on. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.