***Official Personal Statement Proofreading Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that time again! The beginning of the 2011 application cycle is here and I know many of you are anxiously awaiting some assistance in proofreading your personal statements.

This sticky will list the SDN members who have volunteered to be personal statement proofreaders for the 2011-2012 cycle. If you would like to volunteer or have any comments, please PM owlegrad with the type of proofreading you are willing to do (grammar, content, style, all of the above, etc). Only pharmacists, pharmacy students, and accepted pharmacy students can be proofreaders and post history will be investigated to make sure the volunteer is an established member and is in any one of these categories. Again, NO PRE-PHARM STUDENTS CAN BE VOLUNTEER PROOFREADERS. As people volunteer, we will add their name to the list as well as any specific areas the volunteer feels they will especially help with (grammar, content, style, etc.)

To those interested in having your Personal Statement proofread - Please note the following:

- Use caution when deciding to whom you should send your PS - on an anonymous forum, information can easily be plagiarized.
- Utilize the following list for those willing to proofread personal statements. We can at least tell that they are pharmacy students/accepted pharmacy students/pharmacists based on their posting history.

*DISCLAIMER*: Although we can look at post history to see how well a given user behaves themselves on the forums, there really is no guarantee that any user is not a shady character. Bear this in mind when considering sending your PS to a user for proofreading.

Active Proofreaders:

------------------------
Guidelines:
1. PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
2. This is NOT a place to ask for someone to send you a PS, or write your PS for you. We are here to help with suggestions, and proofreading.
3. If you want to help others with personal statements, please PM owlegrad indicating your interest.
4. If you want help with your personal statement, PM (private message) someone on the list. The top right hand side of the website contains the link to private message immediately below your username.
5. Please don't post your personal statement in this thread.
6. FOR OUR VOLUNTEERS: Please understand that you are giving your time free of charge. You should not expect to be paid for proofreading, and please do not attempt to solicit SDN members for monetary compensation for proofreading their personal statements. If you would like to proofread for a fee, please use the "Classifieds" section.

Good luck and happy writing!!

-------------------------------------------------
A useful guide to writing a PS can be found here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=375844

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I was wondering which essay should I place more importance on? The 'personal essay' on the PharmCAS application, or the essay that I assume is required for the school I am applying to on the supplemental(Nova Southeastern)? If anyone has any insight I'd aprreciate as soon I'll be finished with my essays in hope of getting them proofread. Thanks!

They are equally important. IMO, your personal statement should express your interest in pharmacy (how you became interested, why you like it, experiences that contributed to your desire to pursue it, etc.) Additionally, you can briefly address any difficulties you have encountered (issues with grades, any disadvantages you faced, etc). However, usually the supplemental essays give you an opportunity to address you academic difficulties and maybe even some diversity topics. The important thing is to make the personal statement not specific to any school. If you are applying to multiple schools, it needs to be general enough. I found that the character limit made it difficult to include everything I wanted to say. You might have to pick and choose.

Why is it not letting me send PMs to anyone? I can get to the PM and preview it. After I click to send, I go to my sent messages and nothing is there. :mad:

Maybe because the following option wasn't enabled:

Save a copy of this message in your Sent Items folder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys.
I have been working on my personal statement but one thing is always bugging me. I know very weell, i want to be a pharmacist and i love the profession. However, i can't come up with why i want to be a pharmacist without saying the cliche we all already know, like i like helping people......
Can any one help. I had appreciate ur suggestions even if they are ' WILD".

My only suggestion would be to make a list. It's a way to explore how to answer a question. like this...

Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
- Because I like to help people.

Why do you like to help people?
- Blah, blah, blah

Why blah, blah, blah
-ABC...

Eventually you will get to a base for you answer - and can get to the root of its intrinsic nature.

No one else can give you a reason to answer the question - otherwise, it will be just as cliche.

hi,

I was wondering if some of you guys could me some pointers for the intro

1. i have no pharmacy experience, so for my intro, does it have to be pharmacy related?

^a health advisor told me that the intro should be health related at least?

2. should it be more creative/interesting/sets you apart rather than serious (since your body paragraphs would be more on the serious side..)

thanks!!

Starting with a story of your personal experience either working/volunteering in pharmacy or being a patient (or family member of a patient) is an easy way to get your "flow" going. It doesn't have to end up that way but you need a starting point for a personal essay. Don't worry about making your first draft perfect. Just write out your story and then write about the associated emotions/desire for pursuing this field. There is no real template because everyone's story will be different but it is important that your voice come through- you don't want to sound cookie cutter. However, you must also remember that this is a professional essay. I would steer clear of colloquialisms or writing as if you are talking to your friends. You want to sound confident and sincere. You need to think about why YOU like pharmacy. Write out some general statements and then incorporate them into your experiences/story and use that as a springboard to write about your strengths or why pharmacy is a good fit for you. And, while I am here, I want to say to everyone: pleasepleaseplease don't overuse a thesaurus (or use synonyms incorrectly). It is a myth that adcoms want you sounding all smart with big "fancy" words. For some people, their style of writing permits use of such words. But, by inserting random synonyms to sound "smarter" you only do yourself a disservice. If you do not understand the nuances of the word, don't use it because it could just sound silly.

Hey everyone! I am in the process of finishing up my pharmCAS application. Has anyone ever put a space between their paragraphs in their personal statement? The program does not allow for tabs at the beginning of paragraphs so I wanted to find a way to distinguish the paragraphs from each other. It does not seem to add characters. If you try to enter too many characters it wont let you save the document anyway. What does everyone think?

I spaced each paragraph. I think it's 1 character per space.

I am new to this Personal Statement thing... I have no idea how to start this. Any suggestions???

Here are some suggestions for you:
- go to the writing center at your school and see if they have any workshops for P/S.
- google is your friend.
- simply start it by answering the questions asked on PharmCAS.

Good luck!

Here is what I did...

1. look up sample med school essays on Google to get a general perspective on the style and what is expected.
2. Just write it as best as you can, and make sure you answer the prompt.
3. Look up advice on how to write a good personal statement, plenty of good resources on SDN.
4. Get it corrected by friends and an SDN member (there is a topic that is stickied for this purpose).
5. Work hard on redrafting and polishing it as needed.

It took me about four or five months in total and around nine drafts before I was satisfied. Writing does not come easy for me though.

Thank you......I'm new, so how do I PM you?

In the top right hand side of this site you should see something like this:

Welcome, owlegrad.
You last visited: Today at 04:15 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total x.

Click on the Private Messages (PM - get it?) button and from there just create a new message, direct it to me (owlegrad), and send it to me.

I should warn you that while I think I am fairly literate, please don't take my advice as gospel. Go to a writing lab or an English professor to have a pro look it over. I will be happy to look it over and give you my input though.

Last edited:
Attention proofreaders!

As a special thank you from the SDN Mod Staff, proof readers who have been active for 1 month or longer during this proofreading cycle are eligible to receive a special surprise by mail.

To claim your special item, please PM your shipping info to owlegrad in the next 2 weeks. He will pass it on to our shipping team for fulfillment at the end of July. If you are moving August 1st, please get us the new address. Any other extenuating circumstances, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate. You should know up front that I will be unavailable for in-person delivery outside of the Iowa City area. So, please do not innundate him with those requests.

Contrary to the circulating rumor, it is NOT a pinata.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attention proofreaders!

As a special thank you from the SDN Mod Staff, proof readers who have been active for 1 month or longer during this proofreading cycle are eligible to receive a special surprise by mail.

To claim your special item, please PM your shipping info to owlegrad in the next 2 weeks. He will pass it on to our shipping team for fulfillment at the end of July. If you are moving August 1st, please get us the new address. Any other extenuating circumstances, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate. You should know up front that I will be unavailable for in-person delivery outside of the Iowa City area. So, please do not innundate him with those requests.

That's awesome Ms. face! I can't wait to find out what the surprise is. To my fellow proofreaders: Please, please, please PM me your shipping information by July 31st! I would hate for you to miss out on whatever the surprise is.

I heard it is a pinata, but they could just be a rumor.

Thanks again for all your time and energy spent helping our prepharm members. I am sure all of us remember what a stressful time it is for these folks. You guys/gals are awesome - giving back to help our community get where we are. Y'all make me proud.

Attention proofreaders!

Sounds pretty awesome. Where do I sign up? (oh wait, I'm not a proofreader:(:smuggrin:). Keep up the good work proofreaders.:thumbup:

Anyone want to be a proofreader? We have a need for a few more. It is limited to pharmacy students (or pharmacists) or people who have been accepted to pharmacy school. If you are interested, shoot me a PM or post below. It is a really good service to our prepharmacy members and it is a great way to improve your own writing skills as well.

Last edited:
is this still going on for the 2011-2012 cycle? i really need someone to proofread my ps, but im not sure how safe it is to send here?

is this still going on for the 2011-2012 cycle? i really need someone to proofread my ps, but im not sure how safe it is to send here?

It is still going on, but only you can decide how safe it is. I will say I haven't started selling PS' on the black market...yet.

Would you like to exchange statements and proofread for each other?