2010-2011 Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

A testament to how much respect Puerto Rico gets on the mainland. Not a single post! Well, that changes, right here, right now! Viva la Isla! Viva la Independencia! Darnos categoria del estado, o darnos muerte!

lol... I'm applying! Still have to submit my secondary. It's pretty annoying that I have to get a background report from a local police department. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to UCC too.

How do you get the secondary application form? Their website is so confusing because every page seems to be under construction. Also, do they have a form for letters of recommendation?

I really want to get the application process over with ASAP!

Me too. It's a problem though, because I need to get a passport photo and transcript request, but I work 9-5. And most photo places close at five. As does my alma mater's Office of the Registrar T_T.

DAMN YOU, CATCH-22!

I'm applying to UCC too.

How do you get the secondary application form? Their website is so confusing because every page seems to be under construction. Also, do they have a form for letters of recommendation?

I really want to get the application process over with ASAP!

I got it in the mail about a month ago. Haven't started to fill it out. It's a really confusing process with them... I'm going to have to re-read the instructions.

I would call if you submitted a while ago, though it took about 7 weeks for me to get that secondary from the time of AMCAS primary verification.

I got it in the mail about a month ago. Haven't started to fill it out. It's a really confusing process with them... I'm going to have to re-read the instructions.

I would call if you submitted a while ago, though it took about 7 weeks for me to get that secondary from the time of AMCAS primary verification.
I called them yesterday and they told me that you don't need to submit a secondary application, just the AMCAS one.

I asked about the form for letters of recommendation, and they said they would mail them out or I could personally pick them up, which I did right after because I live near the school.

Now I'm confused since they told me I don't have to file a secondary application but they sent you one?? I'll call again tomorrow!

I called them yesterday and they told me that you don't need to submit a secondary application, just the AMCAS one.

I asked about the form for letters of recommendation, and they said they would mail them out or I could personally pick them up, which I did right after because I live near the school.

Now I'm confused since they told me I don't have to file a secondary application but they sent you one?? I'll call again tomorrow!

Sorry, my mistake. Point of clarification: it's not a secondary per se. There is no essay. It is a mailed communication that I got (on 2 separate occasions) that states the requirements for completion of our file at UCC (basically that we need to send the Letters of Rec, the $100.00 fee, etc). It's basically a checklist.

It also includes "letter of recommendation" forms, though if you already have them in AMCAS, these seem superfluous. I believe that they cannot download them from AMCAS, so we still need to somehow get those to them from our professors. I would still make sure you get the communication though, just for your own reference. :)

Sorry, my mistake. Point of clarification: it's not a secondary per se. There is no essay. It is a mailed communication that I got (on 2 separate occasions) that states the requirements for completion of our file at UCC (basically that we need to send the Letters of Rec, the $100.00 fee, etc). It's basically a checklist.

It also includes "letter of recommendation" forms, though if you already have them in AMCAS, these seem superfluous. I believe that they cannot download them from AMCAS, so we still need to somehow get those to them from our professors. I would still make sure you get the communication though, just for your own reference. :)
Oh, thanks for the clarification! Is a background check one of the requirements to complete our file?

Oh, thanks for the clarification! Is a background check one of the requirements to complete our file?

I need to get my PR schools straight! I think the background check is for PONCE.

The checklist that I got is as follows:

1. Turn in AMCAS
2. Report MCAT scores on AMCAS
3. Finish the pre-med pre-reqs. for this school
4. Have a GPA > 2.5 in the sciences
5. Be bilingual
6. Non-refundable $100.00 fee (through regular ATH, money order, or cash).
7. Official transcripts from each school sent directly to them
8. Letters of Recommendation
9. If you were in the U.S. Armed Forces, you must present a copy of enrollment.
10. 2x2 photo (optional)
11. Only students admitted to the program will need to present a medical record.

Then it says that all communication can be mailed to:
Universidad Central del Caribe
Oficina de Admisiones
PO Box 60327
Bayamon, PR 00960

or you can fax it: 787-269-7550

That's essentially the bulk of the mail that I got from them. The rest is the letter of recommendation forms and a cover letter. :)

I need to get my PR schools straight! I think the background check is for PONCE.

The checklist that I got is as follows:

1. Turn in AMCAS
2. Report MCAT scores on AMCAS
3. Finish the pre-med pre-reqs. for this school
4. Have a GPA > 2.5 in the sciences
5. Be bilingual
6. Non-refundable $100.00 fee (through regular ATH, money order, or cash).
7. Official transcripts from each school sent directly to them
8. Letters of Recommendation
9. If you were in the U.S. Armed Forces, you must present a copy of enrollment.
10. 2x2 photo (optional)
11. Only students admitted to the program will need to present a medical record.

Then it says that all communication can be mailed to:
Universidad Central del Caribe
Oficina de Admisiones
PO Box 60327
Bayamon, PR 00960

or you can fax it: 787-269-7550

That's essentially the bulk of the mail that I got from them. The rest is the letter of recommendation forms and a cover letter. :)
LOL! I know it can be confusing! Last year at a professional school fair (or something like that) they had at my Uni, I got brochures from all four PR schools and read them, and I was so confused about something I read in a brochure and went to complain to the Ponce booth! Like "hey why does it say blah blah and then it says so and so!!". The lady looked puzzled and we went through the brochure and I couldn't find the apparent contradiction I was arguing about! That was so embarrassing :p And then I noticed it was on the UCC brochure I had read that other thing.

UCC actually says somewhere on its website that you need to submit a background check, however it says that on the general part that is not specific to medicine, so I'm not sure it applies for those applying for the medicine program. According to the list they sent you apparently it's not :)

I lost the brochure with the checklist that I got last year from the fair, so thanks for taking the time to post what the checklist says though! It sure helps a lot.

Anyone know how well UCC does on matching residency and USMLE pass rates?

All of the PR school except U. Puerto Rico are fairly recent additions to the LCME, so official data about their match rates and USMLE's is relatively hard to come by. If you do find them, plz repost?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you receive information on sending in the other required material? Did they contact you after submitting the AMCAS application? Just wondering if I should just start sending things, because they have not contacted me yet

how is UCC viewed compared to Ponce and SJB? Anyone no more about how they do on USMLEs?

How did you receive information on sending in the other required material? Did they contact you after submitting the AMCAS application? Just wondering if I should just start sending things, because they have not contacted me yet

After sending in my AMCAS they sent me a letter basically saying they got it, also with a list of all the other application materials they require. Oh and they also included the forms for the LORs.

But I'm sure that if you call they'll be super nice about it and tell you what you need to send. I've called lots of times every time I have a question :p

I think it's pretty annoying that I have to ask my professor for LORs again! I did that months ago, they probably dont even remember me lol i just dont know why they cant jump in the boat as San Juan Bautista to receive the letters from AMCAS, I mean how difficult could it be!!!! Regarding the background check SJB does require one but UCC does not. I also find extremely annoying that we have to submit transcripts from all the schools I have attended to the schools in PR all over!!! Why cant they just go with what AMCAS has?? why must they make everything so complicated!!! it's like they dont want you to apply:mad::confused:

Do we really need to re-send our transcripts? That is completely ridiculous! Another $40 gone!

After sending in my AMCAS they sent me a letter basically saying they got it, also with a list of all the other application materials they require. Oh and they also included the forms for the LORs.

But I'm sure that if you call they'll be super nice about it and tell you what you need to send. I've called lots of times every time I have a question :p

What number were you calling? When I call it just rings and rings without anyone ever answering!

I called 787-740-1611.
I got an interview there next monday! :)

I got a phone call around new years asking whether I wanted to interview this week or the next. I chose next week because I'm still in finals period this week.

interview invite but accepted at Ponce and San Juan Bautista. I'm liking San Juan Bautista a lot. No residents= more patient contact yes please!

Hello everyone. I am interviewing here at the end of February. The admissions office didn't give too much information about the interview day. Can anyone tell me who interviews, if there is a tour, and what time the day finishes?

Also if anyone interviewed who didn't live closeby, where did you stay the night before?

Hello everyone. I am interviewing here at the end of February. The admissions office didn't give too much information about the interview day. Can anyone tell me who interviews, if there is a tour, and what time the day finishes?

Also if anyone interviewed who didn't live closeby, where did you stay the night before?
I was interviewed here last week and it was great. We had an interview in a group of 7 applicants where we introduced ourselves to two interviewers (a faculty member and a researcher if I recall correctly). Then they gave us a slightly controversial topic that we were to discuss while the interviewers watched. Then they asked the same question to each of us individually to evaluate how quickly we could put together and express a coherent answer.

We were sent out of the interview room (in the library) and called in one by one for a personal interview. Both interviewers were present. The questions were classic. They asked about four questions (around ten minutes per interviewee). And that was it for the interview. Very laid back and the interviewers were really nice.

They gave us a very nice and informative tour after interview. We saw the classrooms, labs, clinical setting simulation rooms etc.

They also let you know if you're accepted very quickly. I was interviewed last week and by Tuesday of this week I had an acceptance letter in my mailbox. I'm not going here though :)

thanks for the info Melibea, I am interviewing there in a couple weeks. Pretty excited! its a family tradition of studying medicine at UCC!

I was wondering if all of you interviewing and receiving acceptances are from Puerto Rico or currently live there?

Hi missturtle, Im not a 100% sure but i would guess that some of the people receiving their acceptances would be mainland students. When I had my interview on January there was a student from the mainland in the group and according to the orientation that was given to us everyone that interview on that day would know if they were accepted by the end of the month.

I am interviewing there next week, and I am from the Mainland. I am however, a bilingual Hispanic with Puerto Rican ties...

I am interviewing there next week, and I am from the Mainland. I am however, a bilingual Hispanic with Puerto Rican ties...

Hi Max, Good luck on the upcoming interview. Being bilingual will definitely help you. Melibea's gave an awesome description of the interview process, also check interview feedback on this site since it gives some useful information regarding some of the question you might be asked.

Thanks Fluxie, I will keep everyone posted as soon as the interview process is over.

Thanks Melibea!

Is the interview in English, Spanish, or both? Also, does anyone have any information about the curriculum? There isn't too much info on the website...

Thanks for the response. Good luck on your interview!!!:luck:

Last edited:
Thanks Melibea!

Is the interview in English, Spanish, or both? Also, does anyone have any information about the curriculum? There isn't too much info on the website...

The group interview part was completely in Spanish. The individual interviews are also in Spanish, at least mine was. But there was another girl who was in our interview group who said she started speaking English during her individual interview because it was easier for her. She said the interviewers were okay with it.

The group interview part was completely in Spanish. The individual interviews are also in Spanish, at least mine was. But there was another girl who was in our interview group who said she started speaking English during her individual interview because it was easier for her. She said the interviewers were okay with it.

Thanks!

Hey all, I interviewed at UCC in Jan and I was recently accepted. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the interview day. I am bilingual from the mainland in case you were wondering.

Hi! Hope you're doing fine in all your interviews for med school. I am a first year student @ UCC, if you have any questions or doubts you can send me a message and I will try to do all I can to help you out. :)

Hi!

I am looking for a roommate. Any girl interested send me a message.

:)

how is UCC viewed compared to Ponce and SJB? Anyone no more about how they do on USMLEs?

Hello Imagainstthis,

Did you ever found out an answer to this question? If so, would you be so kind to share the info please. I was accepted to SJB and UCC, and I really can't make my mind on which one to choose. Any info would be truly appreciated

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.