RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I was clearly kidding but I looked it up anyway and found this from Disney in 1946 :shifty: There are a few boring minutes in the beginning but the last 5 or so are interesting lol
[YOUTUBE]eLhld_PI2zg[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

My DR refused to grant me an IUD because I have not had kids yet, should I pursue another dr's advice?

Yes, get a second opinion. Generally I think they want women who are at least 25 years old, have had at least 2 kids, and only have one sexual partner (i.e. are married). When I mentioned it to my then primary care doctor she said absolutely no way in heck would any doctor allow me to get an IUD (I was 23 at the time). I went to a GYN who was recommended to me by a friend and I was totally honest with her. I explained my history of vomiting with estrogen-containing birth control pills and explained to her that I was married and we didn't want kids, probably never but definitely not in the next few years. She had me try one other pill, which made me vomit. She did suggest the depo shot but I told her I didn't feel comfortable with it because it can cause bone loss.

From what I recall (verify with a doctor rather than take my word for it), the IUD in women who have never carried a child is more prone to being expelled and can cause more pain and cramping (it did for me) and there's a very slight risk that it may cause infertility. It can perforate the uterus and pregnancies that occur when the IUD is in place have a higher chance of being ectopic (which I think need to be removed?). For me personally the risk is worth it because my husband and I definitely do not want to have our own child.

:laugh: I was wondering how long it would take anyone to notice. Not really sure to be honest. Maybe she's a sweet, precious, badiblet that overcame adversity as a living sausage. :shrug:

amelia! i think i read about that somewhere in my path notes last term? (absence of legs)

There will come a time when I don't feel as awkward as a three-legged baby giraffe, yeah? I just stabbed myself with a needle because my hands were shaking as I drew up vaccines. I am not stupid, I can perform that simple task, just apparently not gracefully. -_- now I have a bloody finger.

i recommend not stabbing yourself with a needle thats passed through heparin, because then it will bleed forever ;)

Did Disney princesses menstruate?

duh no, thats the magic of being a princess!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am that 0.6%;)

yeah my friend who was in my year here for vet school actually was on an IUD and got pregnant... so it can happen - very small percentage.... she decided to quit vet school and go home to have the baby - she was married....

but she still loved the IUD and she is actually going back on it, so....

I am going to talk to a doctor about it here.... I would used it as a back up really - still use condoms as well.....

I don't want children..

Anyone have much to say about implanon? I don't think I want an IUD, and I dunno - 9 years on the pill without a problem, but I'm considering a lower hormone change. Who knows what the hormones are causing that maybe I'm just super used to?

Jumping on the BC bandwagon - when I was 20-22 I was having emotional rollercoastery type problems and it got worse whenever I was on the BC pill. Finally (at 22) I sat down with my Gyn and straight up said that I wanted to know what non-hormonal options were available because I was sick of the emotional crap. She told me the options and did not seem very thrilled with my decision (Paragard IUD) but didn't try to talk me out of it or anything. There was also no mention of the fact I'd never had kids before. Went in to have it "installed" and it was basically just a really painful cramp while she was getting it all up in there, but afterwards I was totally fine. I had a couple heavy periods right after but then my body got used to the idea and I've been as close to normal as I'll ever be since!

I love it - I don't have to worry about remembering to take a pill everyday, my hormone levels don't mess up my psyche so much, and I haven't seen a single downside. It's also slated to be good for 10 years (woo) so I don't have to think about it again until I'm 32, unless of course I decided to start popping out kids before then. However, my insurance had a "health fund" type deal where you could use the money from the fund to pay for whatever you wanted health wise (I could have bought glasses, gotten dental work done, saved it for an emergency, etc) and so I used that money and didn't pay a cent out of pocket.

I would definitely go see another doctor. I have several friends that have an IUD that have never had children. My one friend (who never, ever wants children) had a doctor give her quite a run around to get it saying things like, "Well you're almost 30, what if you want to get pregnant this year?" :smack: For whatever reason the doctor could not believe that she did not want to have a kid.

That's obnoxious, but maybe the REAL reason is that generally they just aren't rec'd for people without kids? I dunno..

I don't have to worry about remembering to take a pill everyday

oh man I had such huuuuuge problems with that. Always missing a dose here and there. Like I totally didn't trust its birth controlling effect by the way I was abusing it. Ever since my cat's been on BID meds though, I've been consistently taking my pills :p
Sad how that works

That's obnoxious, but maybe the REAL reason is that generally they just aren't rec'd for people without kids? I dunno..

I think the reason is that there are some crazy people out there who swear up and down they never ever ever want children and then one day they do. Not saying that people that say they don't want kids are lying, but I'd bet the farm that they get women who change their mind. If the IUD can lead to fertility issues, that could get nasty fast. I think the doctors are trying to be as careful as possible that someone doesn't jeopordize their fertility on the off chance that one day they do change their minds. Sht happens!

Wait, like as in, you're preggers, or you are the person that WOULD happen to?!

No, it happened to my mom. I would never get an IUD, even if I knew I didn't want kids. Didn't like the nuvaring, don't think I'll like an IUD. I'm pretty good about taking my oral BC, although I've had slip ups and missed a day..or two..or three..:rolleyes: Never had a problem, though.

I think the reason is that there are some crazy people out there who swear up and down they never ever ever want children and then one day they do. Not saying that people that say they don't want kids are lying, but I'd bet the farm that they get women who change their mind. If the IUD can lead to fertility issues, that could get nasty fast. I think the doctors are trying to be as careful as possible that someone doesn't jeopordize their fertility on the off chance that one day they do change their minds. Sht happens!

I definitely think this is a huge factor :thumbup:

My husband and I have some pretty legitimate reasons for not wanting our own child so it's possible that was a consideration.

Since everyone else wants to disclose, I switched off the generic Yazmin because of a low sex drive. It was difficult to handle in a new marriage. So I talked to my mom who talked to the doctors she works with and they recommended LoLoestrin. I just looked up the progesterone in it, turns out it's only one nitrogen away from what's in Sprintec, which I tried initially, but went off because it caused me to become very depressed. That being sad the past two days have been okay. I'll see if can't just adapt. I was really interested in learning more about Paragard, but that's going to have to wait until later this spring. It's not that I don't want children, but it'll be years before that. And from what I've read, the newer IUDs have less problems with fertility.

Members don't see this ad :)
This waiting is going to be the death of me...I swear! Of course it is only made worse by the telemarketers that keep calling me from a 614 area code while I am at work (...thank you telemarketers for almost giving me a heart attack today when I saw a missed call and no voice mail!). I to the point where I don't mind them calling anymore...Just don't call me from a Columbus area code for the next few months unless you are from OSU, please.
Ugh...ok mini-rant over now. Thanks for letting me vent :)

have you had any issues with spotting at all? I have heard so many diff things about it - I would like to consider it cause then it would just be in there and not have to worry about it... but wouldn't want to deal with constant bleeding or something.... also have you had any acne issues from it?

I haven't had any problems with heavy bleeding/spotting/etc, though it's definitely among the side effects and does happen to some people. One confounding factor for me was that I swapped from depo shots to implanon (after doing the depo as long as I could without risking too much bone loss), but the depo can take like a year to truly wear off... so I'm not actually sure what effects I have were due to which. But I didn't have a period on depo, and get some minor bleeding very very rarely on implanon (maybe once every 3-4 months?).

In general I really like it. I absolutely cannot take a daily BC pill (just not that consistent of a person), so it works great for me.

Since everyone else wants to disclose, I switched off the generic Yazmin because of a low sex drive. It was difficult to handle in a new marriage. So I talked to my mom who talked to the doctors she works with and they recommended LoLoestrin. I just looked up the progesterone in it, turns out it's only one nitrogen away from what's in Sprintec, which I tried initially, but went off because it caused me to become very depressed. That being sad the past two days have been okay. I'll see if can't just adapt. I was really interested in learning more about Paragard, but that's going to have to wait until later this spring. It's not that I don't want children, but it'll be years before that. And from what I've read, the newer IUDs have less problems with fertility.

I just started on Sprintec (new name is Previfem). I like it so far. My boobs grew entirely too large but I haven't had any complaints ;)
And not sure what to tell you about sex drive since I couldn't act on it even if I had it :laugh:

I was also on Loloestrin for a few years and never had a single issue on it. I wanted to try something different this time for my skin.

So, this happened at the check out desk at my Doctor's office today.

Check out Lady (COL): *tries to make me a follow-up appointment for late August*
Me: Is there anything earlier? I will hopefully be in Vet School by then.
COL: Oh! Congratulations. *makes earlier appointment*
COL: Do you have to go to school as long as you have to go to be a Doctor?
Me: Yes, it's the same, 4 years. I will be a Doctor.
COL: Oh! Imagine that. For animals!
Me: *incredulous stare* *leaves*

Sigh...

I just started on Sprintec (new name is Previfem). I like it so far. My boobs grew entirely too large but I haven't had any complaints ;)
And not sure what to tell you about sex drive since I couldn't act on it even if I had it :laugh:

I was also on Loloestrin for a few years and never had a single issue on it. I wanted to try something different this time for my skin.

I started on Sprintec for a month or two when I was 18. After the first period I just wanted to curl up in a corner and cry for about a week straight. I'll admit, I'm not a very emotionally stable person, but I really do miss how I feel on the Yazmin. Granted right after switching all the libido came back. It was pretty nice. I'm just hoping I don't stay depressed. My skin has actually gotten better since I've switched (at least I think so). I can't say for sure because it's never been really bad.

That's exactly what I need!! I have the body of a tween :laugh:

This thread has gotten way weird...

My skin is so dry and itchy. I've put lotion on several times today but its not helping. It's never been this bad before.

My skin is so dry and itchy. I've put lotion on several times today but its not helping. It's never been this bad before.

Go soak in a luke warm bath. (not hot water, that only dries out more). Then immediately upon getting out, slather on the lotion(one that does not have alcohol in it)

Go soak in a luke warm bath. (not hot water, that only dries out more). Then immediately upon getting out, slather on the lotion(one that does not have alcohol in it)

I can't take anything you say seriously because of the wolf winking at me. I feel like everything you say has a wink attached to it.

I have horrible, chronic dry skin... to the point it breaks open and bleeds. Soak both hands in a good lotion (not any of that bath and body work smelly stuff) and then put gloves on... sleep like this... yes, it is uncomfortable... but it helps.

A humidifier works wonders when my skin starts getting like that. I run it overnight and usually just one night makes a hugeee difference

Really? I have not tried this. I have tried anything and everything you can think of... vaseline, prescription lotions, etc, etc... my hands just get that dry... it hurts.

I can't take anything you say seriously because of the wolf winking at me. I feel like everything you say has a wink attached to it.

:laugh: Almost as good as this one.

whos_awesome.jpg

About the implanon: My periods are super random. Sometimes I go weeks and weeks without them, other times I have it every two weeks. Sometimes they last a day or two and sometimes a week. I do have to say though that they aren't usually strong and I don't hurt as much.

A humidifier works wonders when my skin starts getting like that. I run it overnight and usually just one night makes a hugeee difference

The humidifier is a god-send. I use mine every night!

First day (night) of school! I'm taking a class at the community college (like 1/5 of the cost) and wow, this place is ghetto!! Why oh why did I not change major when I was at my cushy alma mater?? :p

I can't stop eating. I just ate half a pound of fudge. And I still want to eat the pound that is left in the box. Might have to make my roommates hide it from me. UGH.

Wow. I want to catch up on this. I use tri-sprintec. I like it. I tried loestrin, but didn't have periods on it which freaked me out. I'm thinking of switching to implanon (the arm implant) and seeing how that works

I was really interested in learning more about Paragard, but that's going to have to wait until later this spring. It's not that I don't want children, but it'll be years before that. And from what I've read, the newer IUDs have less problems with fertility.

Since everyone else is disclosing, I've had Mirena for a bit over a year. I chose not to do Paragard because I tend to have skin reactions to metals and didn't want to risk it. My doctor is very comfortable using IUDs in younger women. The most important thing is to find a doctor who is experienced in placing them- most problems occur from improper placement or inappropriate fit. The first 3 months were not fun, but since then has been great. I like that it doesn't interfer with circulating hormones and haven't had any mood problems from it. If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to talk more about my experience with it privately.:rolleyes:

I did that with Red Velvet Fudge last week. It was too good. It was like a buffet I couldn't stop!

I have no fudge :( I have no junk food / yummy snacks in my house at all and right now its making me sad. Craving chocolately goodness right about now. Stupid diet.

I feel left out of the BC talk.

My birth control method of choice is reading online dating profiles.

Maaan, I want some really good fudge now. :( All I have is 1/2 a bag of chips.

:laugh: If I ignore the terrible decision I made about 11 months ago, it will have been over 2 years. :oops: Technically, I guess it's 11 months, but I'm in denial. :laugh:

It's slim pickins' for the good ones in my home town of 5k. :naughty:

Really? I have not tried this. I have tried anything and everything you can think of... vaseline, prescription lotions, etc, etc... my hands just get that dry... it hurts.

They also make this great product called "bag balm." It was made for udders to keep them from getting irritated and dry during milking I think. Anyway, I used to use it all the time in the winter. You lather it on your hands at night and put some gloves on. Your hands will feel much better in the morning. I think in the US it's sold at places like Walgreens.

Then what you really need is to get knocked up. Huge boobs when you get knocked up :naughty:

Mine have shrunk since switching pills. :( And they were just getting nice too. :p

This made me :laugh:

I'm currently on Sprintec...switched to it from Mircette when I started have spotting issues after taking the UK version of the pill (they had a week of placebo pills while the version I had in the US has two placebo and then 5 days of a lower dose). I'm not sure if the different versions caused the issues but I'm actually still having these issues like two years later. They seemed to resolve but I took a pill a day late one time and it threw everything off. It seems to be getting better again, so my Gyno said to try to wait it out but I might try switching to something else when I'm home for break. Especially since now that you bring up that side effect Liss, I definitely think it's killed my sex drive since I'm now thinking about how I was on Mircette.

Which brings me to my rant...bf and I just got into an argument over convenience euthanasias. We apparently define them differently which I think is due to the types of practices we worked at before school or just our beliefs in general. Well, guess we were due for our first major argument at some point.

If I dont get into vet school, I think its going to be because of a lack of extracurriculars. SO UNFAIR!!!!! I am well rounded, I just prefer to engage in activities off campus with my family. Im close to all my family members and enjoy spending time with them, is that such a crime? Just because Im not out at a club meeting doesn't mean im sitting on my couch drooling with a glazed over look!!! I have plenty of hobbies but I am already in school some days from 8:30-8:30!!!! I work my butt off to get good grades and veterinary experience, to take classes that interest me, spend time with my family and dogs, and engage in activities at home that interest me. I don't like it that vet schools will think Im one dimensional just because I don't want to join clubs! Also since when is "animals" ONE interest!? Not even veterinary medicine is one interest. Im interested in SA, LA, production, exotics, lab, specialty, shall I go on? Someone PLEASE tell me they feel the same way?

I have no fudge :( I have no junk food / yummy snacks in my house at all and right now its making me sad. Craving chocolately goodness right about now. Stupid diet.

I'm currently trying to refrain from making a Funfetti cake after making a somewhat healthy dinner of spaghetti squash and chicken in a pesto sauce.