7/19 DAT: 27 AA/TS/PA ...guess I have a new lucky number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigawatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me just begin by saying THANK YOU to the SDN community! Having the DAT behind me is a huge relief, but I know that I owe my success at least in part to the great advice given by others before me on this forum. Sure, there are the "takers" that don't search, repeat posts, and use this as personal tutoring, but there are far and away more "givers" who contribute invaluable advice and information to make this forum what it is. To them, truly, THANK YOU!

That being said, hopefully I can keep this going and this breakdown will help some of you who are still in the thick of it...

PA 27 99.7
QR 30 100.0
RC 22 84.4 :thumbdown: :laugh:
BS 28 99.7
GC 26 98.8
OC 27 98.7
TS 27 99.9
AA 27 100.0

(Don't know how to get the table formatted right, but hopefully the columns are easy enough to read.)

Needless to say, I am beyond stoked...(youtube "happy dj" :soexcited:)

PA: I didn't buy a whole lot for my prep because I still have most of my textbooks and whatnot, but CDP was awesome for this. I got the ten test version, but depending on how naturally good you are at this kind of stuff, five could be enough. I started in the low 20s and by my last few tests I was knocking out 28-30 depending on if the angle gods smiled upon me or not. Overall, keyholes and TFE were dead-on. On angles, CDP is good practice, but on the real DAT about 8-9 questions were relatively easy, and the rest you had to take a few chances on. Usually even on the hard ones it comes down to two choices and you just go with your gut. (Which is why you want to hone that instinct with CDP). For hole punch, I'm a huge fan of the 4x4 grid method. Do look at the folds carefully though, because they're not all 1/2 or 1/4 like in CDP. You can take advantage of the layout on this, though. The starting frame of the fold is lined up above choice A, second frame above choice B, etc. so you can line up the holes in the answers to the fold to see exactly where it lies. Cube counting is on par with CDP. As others have said, there are fewer cubes per structure, but on CDP I think I nearly always had 5 structures...on the real DAT, I got 6...so it evens out. You do gain minimal time by not having to remake that chart every time because on dry-erase you can just erase your tallies out. Pattern folding is easier than CDP, but the way they try to trick you is different. CDP loved using the shading patterns...the real DAT barely ever used those, but I did have a couple where the taper of the object was the difference between right and wrong answer choices (as in something that could be a rectange/square is actually a slightly angled trapezoid or parallelogram). Bottom line: CDP + confidence = you're golden.

QR: Math has always come easy to me, so I didn't study this at all. I finished with about 20 minutes left, so I did a once-over again, but I just got too antsy to see my score and hit end. Even if math isn't your thing, don't psyhe yourself out and make things worse. Most of the problems are middle-school level and a couple are high-school level. YOU CAN DO IT! Also, there's only so many different types of problems that get recycled on this section with different numbers, so find as many practice problems as you need and you'll be fine.

RC: Gotta say I didn't see this one coming. I consider myself a pretty fast reader, so I read each passage through completely and then answered the questions in order. Having the whole thing mapped out in my head though, I always found the exact sentence containing the answer before picking the right choice. I probably had about 6-8 interference type questions, so I guess I missed the majority of those and fell into a few traps on the fact-based ones.

BS: Bottom line: breadth before depth! I can't stress this enough. Your 40 questions can basically come from anything in Campbell's so you have to have the breadth, but whatever comes up is likely to be basic. You don't need to have the high-level detail to back anything up. I used Cliff's (read each chapter once, took notes on a second pass, and then answered chapter questions) and a couple chapters in Campbell's. I don't buy into the Ch. 19-21 thing for two reasons: (1) the detail level was so shallow on most questions that focusing so tightly on three chapters will do you no good anyway, (2) I, like many others, didn't get any questions from those chapters. You only get 40 questions; it's the luck of the draw. My advice: focus on everything you don't know at all before shoring up on things you know decently well.

GC: Not bad at all. I've IA'ed for both semesters of gen chem so I wasn't worried about this section. I guess I missed one or two somewhere by not being careful enough, but nothing caught me off-guard. Go through the list of DAT topics from the ADA and make sure you're solid and you should be fine. Very manageable compared to the breadth of Bio. I started with this section because I figured if time became an issue at the end I'd rather be finishing up bio than one of the chem's. That probably came back to bite me in the ass since I rushed GC and it cost me a question or two, and I still finished with a ****load of time left over. Really, no rush on TS. You'll have enough time, so be careful.

OC: Way, way, way simpler than I had prepared for. I knew everything from two semesters of o chem and one semester of the graduate course, but I probably could have taken this after first semester o chem and done fine. I focused on the advanced stuff too much and neglected reviewing the basics (I know one of the questions I got wrong was the nomenclature! :rolleyes:). I used my textbook exclusively on this, which worked best for me because I have a sense for where everything is in that book and can find it quickly. Didn't have Destroyer or Chad or anything like that. From what everyone says, those are quality resources, but you can succeed without spending the cash if you do things right.

One last point I want to stress. The best preparation I had for all of this was doing well in my classes. It seems obvious but if you do things right and learn the first time around, reviewing is a lot less of a chore later on. Added bonus is that you have a good GPA to go with your DAT. I know this may be a case of hindsight is 20/20 for a lot of you who have the DAT coming up soon, but this really is the key for anyone who still has the opportunity.

Anyway, hope this helps someone, and I'll be happy to answer questions. :thumbup:
Don't fish for specific questions, though. I'll ignore those.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and I forgot to mention TopScore...

This was good for getting my hands on that many more practice problems and being able to time myself. The software is outdated and hasn't been changed in years and the interface isn't exactly dead-on, but it's decent. I took each section separately so my scores were probably higher than they would have been had I taken the whole test in one sitting, but I still scored about 3-4 points higher in each section on the real DAT.

holyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:eek: Are these real scores for real?!?!?!?!??!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You kicked the DAT ass off to the other side of the planet!!!!!!!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG you raped the DAT :eek:

I'm scared so many people are doing well these days!!!

Writing my dat next tuesday.

Did you do any Achiever or Topscore?

Yeah I had Topscore...wrote a bit about it in a separate post above.

It's decent, but I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be given the way people build it up.

All of the stuff I ended up buying (CDP, TopScore) I did so after reading a breakdown here, freaking out, and then grabbing my credit card...haha. If you are a solid student, though, you can definitely study from your textbooks and be just fine. Know what to study and be smart about it.

I don't happen to have a bankroll for the applications, so I wanted to keep costs down. Everyone has to judge for themselves what resources are necessary and worthwhile.

Last edited:
Although you mentioned you score 3-4 higher in real dat, I still want to see break down for each sections on topscore if possible.

Thanks!

Although you mentioned you score 3-4 higher in real dat, I still want to see break down for each sections on topscore if possible.

Thanks!

Sorry, that's the best I can do on that. I cleared the scores out when I finished.

From memory, I know I aced all the QR. I think my low on RC was 23 and high was a 28. BS I had one that was a 18; the other two were mid-20s. GC all around 22-24. OC, the first one I took cold and got a 17. The last two I had around 25.

Last edited:
definitely retake, most schools have a RC cutoff of 24

Haha...funny how that works out sometimes. At the end of bio, I had three marked that could have gone either way so I thought a 28 was probably out of reach. At the end of RC, I thought I had nailed it...guess not.

sorry this has probably been asked a thousand times but, there IS a calculator for QR correct? and its on the screne? but no calc for GC right?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry this has probably been asked a thousand times but, there IS a calculator for QR correct? and its on the screne? but no calc for GC right?

Correct. It's the same as the Windows standard calculator (not the scientific one). It had a square root function. I didn't have any artificial delay...just the normal "you have to be careful clicking" delay that you see in the Windows one anyway. Really there were only 2-3 questions where using it saved me time. Most of the time you don't need it anyway.

yay for photo-shop! just kidding... nice scores

Yeah, well after that 29AA from Crimson got everyone's scrutiny I figured I'd include the Prometric seal...just so this can be a thread about people sharing good advice instead of focusing on scores...if nothing else.

amazing man! Good luck at harvard!

In previous years, I've never seen this many amazing scores in this forum. Can't wait to see the average scores for this cycle.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: bravo this is amazing, god bless and good luck with everything not that u need it lol

Kick ass scores Giga.

Although mine are on a lower level, I'll second what you said about the classes part. My chems and bios (and even a calc class I took) got me in GREAT shape for the sciences and QR. I just had to hit PAT hard for a little bit, review a little bit, and I was good to go.

Congratulations!

One question: how is 28 Biology possible?

I thought if you get all right, you get 29 or 30, and if you get 1 wrong, it drops to 25-26?

Last edited:
Congratulations!

One question: how is 28 Biology possible?

I thought if you get all right, you get 29 or 30, and if you get 1 wrong, it drops to 25-26?

Yeah, I was wondering how that worked out, too. Based on the 27 TS, I missed three total, right?

So at least one in OC for the 27, and probably two in GC for the 26...I guess that means I aced BS and still got a 28? Maybe I had an easy BS with a lower scale...

Yeah, I was wondering how that worked out, too. Based on the 27 TS, I missed three total, right?

So at least one in OC for the 27, and probably two in GC for the 26...I guess that means I aced BS and still got a 28? Maybe I had an easy BS with a lower scale...

No, 26 in GC is missing only 1 question. I guess you missed one in Bio and got 28? Which seems like an error on the computer's behalf....

It doesn't make sense :confused:

No, 26 in GC is missing only 1 question. I guess you missed one in Bio and got 28? Which seems like an error on the computer's behalf....

Ah well...maybe it will get changed between now and the official report. No big deal either way. You still got me by a point in PAT and a point in TS, so don't fret. :laugh:

Ah well...maybe it will get changed between now and the official report. No big deal either way. You still got me by a point in PAT and a point in TS, so don't fret. :laugh:

Lol not fretting! :cool:

Just wondering how scoring works on the real DAT, that's all.

How's GPA doing? Where are you applying? :)

Haha, just messing with you, sfoksn...I think the conversion chart for the sample test doesn't necessarily apply to the test you end up taking at the Prometric center, depending on a variety of factors. That probably explains it.

The GPA is a whole number, so I'm in good shape there. I'm applying to UCLA, UCSF, UOP, and USC for sure...probably add a few schools back east as well. I know you're in CA too, so maybe I'll see you at interviews at one of those (probably not USC though :laugh:...no Trojan/Bruin love lost).

hmmm that's weird. i've gotten a 25 on the PAT section and it said 99.8percent.

Although difference between 25 and a 27 is one question... still

Oh jeez, here it comes...:laugh:

Look, my scores are legit, but I'm not out here to prove anything to anyone. I just figured I owe a debt of gratitude to SDN, so if anyone would like my help or two cents on preparing for this thing, I'm happy to give back.

Congrats!

The percentiles are constantly changing. They differ from test to test and over time as people score differently. And dental schools don't even get to see them - they're for your personal benefit.

The scale is different on every test, since some tests will give you a 30 for a perfect Bio test while others give a 29. Who knows how it works, but there's no sense in analyzing it to death.

Last edited:
oh wow.. everyone is doing so great this year.. I don't think I'll stand a chance if i score below 20!! This freaks me out

But Congratulations to you, Genius! :)

NICE JOB on the DAT!! Some perfect scores are 30, some 29, and some 28. Some pretest questions are not even scored. I got a 30 PAT, but it's possible I missed a few of the 15 pretest questions. Based on what I've read, I'm guessing you missed 1 in each science section, 2 PAT, since its out of 75, not 90, and 5-6 reading questions.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Luck was on my side for the bio so I consider myself fortunate, but whatever got me in g chem and definitely that o chem nomenclature problem both still bug me :mad:--but I can't complain. :)

How do you know how many of these non-scored "pretest" questions are in each section?

I forgot to mention this, but the single most valuable thing about TopScore was the PDF outline/guide that came with it. It really fleshes out the ADA outline really well, to the point where you actually have a usable document instead of just a vague list of broad topics. If TopScore is worth $50, that outline was worth $25 in itself, at least.

I copied the whole PDF over into a massive Word document and went through it line by line. The stuff I knew cold, I deleted to clear space. The stuff I needed solid notes on, I typed information into the outline. That way I always had everything organized into one place and something that I could use to study with over and over again in order to commit to memory.

That really helped me a lot, so I thought I'd pass it along.

I forgot to mention this, but the single most valuable thing about TopScore was the PDF outline/guide that came with it. It really fleshes out the ADA outline really well, to the point where you actually have a usable document instead of just a vague list of broad topics. If TopScore is worth $50, that outline was worth $25 in itself, at least.

I copied the whole PDF over into a massive Word document and went through it line by line. The stuff I knew cold, I deleted to clear space. The stuff I needed solid notes on, I typed information into the outline. That way I always had everything organized into one place and something that I could use to study with over and over again in order to commit to memory.

That really helped me a lot, so I thought I'd pass it along.

The formatting is really off when I copied it to Word. Did you spend time fixing it?

The formatting is really off when I copied it to Word. Did you spend time fixing it?

Yeah, it's not great and the special characters get lost. What I did was copy and paste into Notepad first, and then into Word from there. It helped a little, but don't expect anything amazing. Then in Word you can do a find and replace to get rid of the copyright notice that repeats on each page. If you dig into the find and replace options, you can even find and replace the multiple empty lines that separate the pages.

From there, you basically just clean it up as you go along. If there's a topic that you're solid on, I would just eliminate it from your outline so you can focus on what you don't know. That alone will cut what you have to reformat down. From there, you just work with it like you're typing up notes. For me, the act of typing out notes is more than half of committing something to memory anyway, so I think you'll find it helps.

Side note: I'd pass my Word docx along to you guys, but it comes with a copyright notice and I don't want to infringe on anything (not while announcing that I'm doing it on a public forum especially).

Yeah, it's not great and the special characters get lost. What I did was copy and paste into Notepad first, and then into Word from there. It helped a little, but don't expect anything amazing. Then in Word you can do a find and replace to get rid of the copyright notice that repeats on each page. If you dig into the find and replace options, you can even find and replace the multiple empty lines that separate the pages.

From there, you basically just clean it up as you go along. If there's a topic that you're solid on, I would just eliminate it from your outline so you can focus on what you don't know. That alone will cut what you have to reformat down. From there, you just work with it like you're typing up notes. For me, the act of typing out notes is more than half of committing something to memory anyway, so I think you'll find it helps.

Side note: I'd pass my Word docx along to you guys, but it comes with a copyright notice and I don't want to infringe on anything (not while announcing that I'm doing it on a public forum especially).

congrats on your score. so jealous.

anyway, i tried to open the guide thing but it says i need a pdf file reader to open it BUT I ALREADY DO!!! i don't understanddddddd :(

congrats on your score. so jealous.

anyway, i tried to open the guide thing but it says i need a pdf file reader to open it BUT I ALREADY DO!!! i don't understanddddddd :(

It opened fine for me in Adobe...don't know what to tell you. Maybe you don't have the latest version? There's nothing too fancy in the PDF so I don't see why an older version couldn't handle it. Do other PDFs open fine? You might need to do a reinstall of Adobe Reader...

Yeah, that sounds about right. Luck was on my side for the bio so I consider myself fortunate, but whatever got me in g chem and definitely that o chem nomenclature problem both still bug me :mad:--but I can't complain. :)

How do you know how many of these non-scored "pretest" questions are in each section?

@gigawatt, check out the ADA DAT website and there are a bunch of links ot background info on the making and scoring of the DAT. You will find more info than you ever wanted to know about how the DAT is constructed. Message me if you can't find the links and I will send them to you.

Each test includes equating and pretest questions. The purpose of the equating questions is to form a link among collections of items, so that examinee's standard scores can be placed on the same measurement scale. Because of these equating questions, examinee's scores have the same meaning regardless of the test they were administered. Unscored pretest questions are included on the test in order to gather information. This information is used in the test construction process to insure that these questions are appropriate before they are included among the scored items.

Soo, equating questions are what the score-percentiles are based on? And I still don't get the pretest questions :\

Soo, equating questions are what the score-percentiles are based on? And I still don't get the pretest questions :\

Not directly, but the two are connected. Percentiles are based on how many people scored at your below your score in a certain section. They're in flux until they get finalized (at the end of the year/cycle, I guess) in the ADA report.

Equating questions are what helps set the raw-to-scaled conversion chart for different test editions. This ensures that "easy" tests don't produce inflated scores compared to "hard" tests. For example, a 26 GC should equate to the same level of competency regardless of what test you happened to take...at least as much so as possible.

Pre-test questions are questions that are just getting a trial run to see if they are fit to be on the DAT. If there's a pre-test question that correlates well with overall performance, that is, people who do well on the section do well on the question and vice versa, then it would be a good question for the DAT. If that correlation isn't there, meaning that how someone did on that question would tell nothing about how they did on the rest of the section, then it's a poor question and a bad assessment of your skills and shouldn't be on the test.