ABEM update on ABIM ABEM Critical Care co-sponsorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMCritCare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ABEM recently updated its website regarding the proposed ABIM ABEM Critical Care co-sponsorship. The direct link is listed below for the FAQs they post on the site.

https://www.abem.org/PUBLIC/_Rainbow/Documents/FAQs7-2010 (3).pdf

The PDF is also attached to this message.

The PDF is dated 7/19/2010. It provides a few additional details, confirms some things which were already deduced regarding the proposal, and importantly discloses that the recent news items suggesting a first exam open to ABEM folks in 2012 are wrong (noted on ABEM homepage text).

As stated previously in this forum, the proposal still requires approval from the ABIM board of directors prior to ABMS submission.

Also, on a related note, our own KGUNNER1 (EM/IM/CCM) was named to the ABIM Critical Care Medicine Subspecialty Board/Test Committee (announced on 7/1/10).

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• FAQs7-2010%20(3).pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Anyone have an update on this?

EMCritCare?

KGunner?

others?

HH

Anyone have an update on this?

EMCritCare?

KGunner?

others?

HH

I don't have any specific updates beyond what ABEM released in their July FAQs. ABEM had earlier indicated that the ABIM Board of Directors would revisit the proposal during their summer meeting. I do not know whether or not this has taken place. Again, there still needs to be a fininalized ABMS proposal for ABEM co-sponsorship before this can hopefully become an ABMS approved reality.

At this exact point in time, this is still not a done deal, as there remain many hoops to jump through. However, this is the most confident I have ever seen ABEM and its representatives with regard to the issue of CCM board certification for EM physicians.

If you are willing to take a chance, I would seriously consider applying this winter. IM CCM fellowships mostly use ERAS (many notable exceptions- Univ. of Pittsburgh does not use ERAS). They do not go through the NRMP match, and spots are often offered on a rolling or somewhat rolling basis. In general, similar to other IM fellowships, you typically apply as a PGY-2 for a PGY-4 spot.

I know that multiple IM CCM fellowship programs are gearing up to take EM residents for 2 year fellowships, with the assumption that these candidates will likely soon count against their ACGME total fellow allotments.

Stanford, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Cooper Hospital, Orlando Regional, St. John's Mercy/SLU are all willing to take EM residents into their CCM programs, with tracking into the IM pool where applicable in order to maintain potential future board eligibility.

If you are unwilling to take any chances, then we are all likely going to be waiting at least a couple years until things are (hopefully) finalized.

Last edited: