How to study organic chemistry by yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anyone to study with. what are some useful tips for studying ochem?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Read what you want to remember.
2. Remember what you want to remember.
3. Take test.
4. Forget it all.
5. Be sad during BS section of MCAT.
7. ???
8. Profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have anyone to study with. what are some useful tips for studying ochem?

Turn on some music and just work an absolutely absurd number of problems. The molecule kits didn't really do it for me, but arrows to draw electron "flow" and the act of putting pen to paper is much more powerful than reading anything in the book. And like I said in another thread, do not discount anything or fall behind. You're hosed if you think you can skip over something like resonance and think it won't come back up in every aspect of the course. Learn it right once and save yourself tons of time.

Music and beer though...not a lot of beer...but just a couple o' bottles to make it not feel like homework. Works like a charm for orgo.

Turn on some music and just work an absolutely absurd number of problems. The molecule kits didn't really do it for me, but arrows to draw electron "flow" and the act of putting pen to paper is much more powerful than reading anything in the book. And like I said in another thread, do not discount anything or fall behind. You're hosed if you think you can skip over something like resonance and think it won't come back up in every aspect of the course. Learn it right once and save yourself tons of time.

Music and beer though...not a lot of beer...but just a couple o' bottles to make it not feel like homework. Works like a charm for orgo.

Yep some good orgo jams are:

"Holy $hit this reaction is dope" by Mettalica
"Booze for SN2's" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers

and a few others. I would suggest Green Day, Sting, AC DC, Flo Rida, Akon, Eminem….all help you focus. Do this with shots of spiced rum instead, helps the learning process.

Oh and buy one of those posters with Jennifer Aniston in a two-piece and put that right in front of you. Your all set buddy.

Yep some good orgo jams are:

"Holy $hit this reaction is dope" by Mettalica
"Booze for SN2's" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers

and a few others. I would suggest Green Day, Sting, AC DC, Flo Rida, Akon, Eminem….all help you focus. Do this with shots of spiced rum instead, helps the learning process.

Oh and buy one of those posters with Jennifer Aniston in a two-piece and put that right in front of you. Your all set buddy.
:laugh:

In addition to the above, I intermittently hit myself in the face with a hammer while studying reactions just to stay focused.

I always thought studying in groups was a waste of time.

I always thought studying in groups was a waste of time.

It is only useful if studying with people much smarter than you -- so they can expound (they tutor you)...or people dumber, so you have to tutor them.

Staying with people on the same level is waste of time -- agreed.

1. Organic Chemistry as a 2nd Language
2. ???
3. Profit.

Do problems, when I took orgo I lived for practice problems. My I would do all of the assigned problems and when ever I missed one I made sure to go back to it, make sure I had learned it.

Relax, breathe and get through it. It is not supposed to be easy.

Open the book or your notes, read and rewrite the relevant section, think about it, then practice. Yay college!

Flashcards.

Understanding the concepts is important, but when it comes to reactions, just make notecards of the most basic form, and understand where it reacts, what it does, and the irrelevant carbons just stay irrelevant. It's relevant.

Make these as you go. DO NOT wait until a few days before and make a crapload of them and try to cram them last minute. By the time they're made, and you halfway understand what's going on, you'll be too tired to play with them.