Texas Tech El Paso Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread on my completed interviews, and feel free to chime in about your own.

LSU Baton Rouge- great people, very culturally unique city with an excellent major university in LSU. A great mix of county and private training. Will definitely receive a great deal of thought from me in the final rankings. I could see myself here. LSU is an incredibly beautiful university and the city of Baton Rouge is one full of very proud people who are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They throw a party for just about anything and eat a few hundred crawfish! I don't know how anyone can not fit in with these people...maybe if you are anti-social or something! If only they could fix the traffic issue and disperse about 300,000 of their newest locals to the surrounding 47 mainland states! But its already getting better after months and will improve slowly.

Texas Tech El Paso- awesome faculty and truly a strong EM program in its facility. EM is well respected there. The patient population is mostly Spanish speaking and many are immigrants or illegals. Pathology is top knotch. The city was surprisingly beautiful much like Cali without the ocean. This is a great place for married people, and this could easily end up being one of if not my top ranked spot. The EMS exposure here seems to be oustanding and the ultrasound is as good as some top ranked 4 year programs. These people are incredibly laid back. I have spoken with some very knowledgable people in the field and all believe this place is a hidden gem and will be a leading institution in the coming years.

Next week, UMKC and Iowa City, with Indy, Peoria and Mayo the following week.

Members don't see this ad.

Its definitely been mentioned plenty of times around these parts. Just check out my old blog (link below) and read about my interview experience there. Personally, I loved El Paso and the program. The city is a lot like any southern California city that is not within eyeshot of the Pacific. Palm trees, gorgeous mountains, nice warm days and cool evenings, basically a paradise in west Texas. The demographics are mostly Hispanic and Caucasian, with all others thrown in as well. You get the good and bad that comes with another country on the other side of the river...great for shopping and cheap vacations into the heart of Mexico down into Chihuahua and further. The Copper Canyon is within a few hours and it is the last great unknown hiker's paradise where you can roam for weeks without seeing anyone other than a Tarahamara Indian. And for 10 bucks they'll be your guide for a week!!

Program Director...super cool, all other faculty...super cool, ED, nicely set up, and small hospital but has plenty of other residencies to work side by side with. I met some great residents one who has turned out to be a buddy even though I did not match there. My wife was just chomping at the bit to go back up north and I really found a great residency home in Iowa. But yes, it is in my opinion the best of the 4 programs in Texas by far. Parkland is too malignant, Houston has some bad apples, Scott and White is too "Cowboy", and El Paso is just right. You can get to any major city in the state of Texas from El Paso in 1.5 hours or less on Southwest Airlines. And its cheap, consistent, and the tickets are great priced up to 7 days in advance and even then don't climb too high even an hour before a flight. You can park, walk, and be on your plane in 15 minutes. There is no traffic in El Paso. There is a major university in UTEP, and the people of El Paso have that California creativity without the nauseating east Texan accent and attitude!

Alright, let's bring this thread back to life. I am beginning to refine my program preferences as time passes and there are a few for which I am interested in finding out more. As was obvious in my "hispanic pt population" thread, I am interested in several ethnically diverse programs. I'd love to hear more from anyone who rotated, interviewed, worked in El Paso (ahem...BKN and Derek). I have searched some previous threads and scutwork but would love any more thoughts.

Specifically, I would like to know more about how much the residents hang out together and if they are happy. Also, how involved the faculty are with teaching?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
trkd:

Going into my second year here in El Paso I have to say I have no regrets. This is the perfect program for EM trainning. There are a ton of crash and burn patients showing up in the ED who need quick intervention (intubation, cental lines, art lines). The EM attendings are some of the brightest faculty I have ever worked with and I was at Mayo (Scottsdale) prior to El Paso.

The residents do hang out quite a bit together, I probably less than others as I have two kids at home (one being a year old). There is always a BBQ or a weekend night out with some of the residents if your looking for something to do. Most residents try not to cross the border on their nights out, BKN has some great stories about how tough it has been for residents to get back across the border once in Mexico.

Residency is a hard time no matter what specialty or where you are. I know I am happy here and as far as I can tell the other residents are as well. I have always believed that if I am going to work crazy hours and make the ones I love sacrafice their lives at my expense, then I better do it in a nice climate and you are hard pressed to find anywhere better than El Paso for weather. The recent 100yr flood excluded of course. Not to mention the Franklin Mountains that our home sits at the foot of. I believe that if you come out of this program you can handle ANYTHING that finds its way to your ER.

Hope this helps!!

As stated previously, I am sure the almighty PD from El Paso will chime in, but I will lend a few words as well...

I just graduated from Texas Tech SOM Lubbock campus, and El Paso is one of the satellites of Texas Tech....although within the next few years they will be their own 4 year medical school...but on to EM

I interviewed at the program there and several of my best friends/classmates were MS3s and 4s there..and a few remained to do residency in EM. El Paso is VERY unique in that you see many advanced stages of disease that would have long ago already been treated in greater America. Majority of your patients are strongly hispanic backgrounds and with that comes spanish speaking. Some people seem to be concerned about a language barrier, but my friends (and the residents) assure that it is only a minor crutch and you tend to pick up what you need rather quickly (the school/hospital/program offers medical spanich courses and there are always translators around). I was really impressed with the residents there and the PD on here has been extremly helpful to me (and many others who read his words of wisdom on here) on my recent journey to residency..

You are probably wondering why did I not end up there.... mainly it came down to that I am a country guy that was born and raised in such and was ready to get back out. Outside of greater El Paso is bare, but its desert land with little to no water... needless to say, we really wanted to live back out in the country with a place for our horse and it did not seem easy to do there.

I think its a great program and gladly will give it a: :thumbup:

I am a third year EM resident (off cycle for prior credit from FP) in El Paso. I agree with most of what has been said. This is truly a county program, RE Thomason is the county hospital for El Paso and seems to serve as such for most of neighboring Juarez. We see about 60,000 visits a year and we are the Level I trauma center for the surrounding 250mile radius and then some with transfers from all over Mexico and as far as Utah. The pathology is prolific and so are the procedures. I believe the only procedure I came here wanting to do that I haven't is a trasvenous pacer. The teaching is great and the weather is ideal. Yes, living near the border offers a unique culture. I believe the best place to learn EM is in a county program just as this. Please PM me if further questions.

I think its a great program and gladly will give it a: :thumbup:

I agree with what many posters on this thread have said. Texas Tech was one of my favorite programs. The pathology and acuity were certinly higher than many of the programs I interviewed at. Being directly across the border from Mexico was a bonus. The faculty were impressive and I really enjoyed the teaching style and environment there. Although just an impression based on a short visit, the teaching seemed to be well above any "academic" programs I interviewed with. The benefits offered surpassed any program. In the end, it was a favorite program in a not so favorite place. I spent the last four years of my life living in a desert. I could not find it within myself go back to one. Outdoor activities are very important to me, as are vegetation and the occasional water source. It seems like a minor criteria, but I really do love forests, streams, and lakes. Being single, I was also hoping for a place with many more dating opportunities.

Texas Tech really is a great place. I would have been happy to have ended up there.

Scutwork says that you do all your own rads reading...plain films + CTs.

Is there no backup from rads at all?

With the increase in crime, kidnappings, etc along the Texas/Mexico border how safe is El Paso for families?

I wrote that review in 2005. The radiology dept has expaned with many radiology subspecialties represented at this time. They are working on starting a radiology residency. On night shift, on-call rads will usually only be called for CTA's of the chest and the surgeons will call on most Level I trauma's.

I still believe the training is outstanding in El Paso. I would recommend it for anyone who likes to jump in and get their hands dirty. If you are one who is more passive and needs your hand held then this program probably is not for you. It is less academic than some of the other programs in Texas, but the physician who comes out the El Paso program can handle anything that roles in the door when they graduate. Every program will claim this, but in my opinion there are only a few county style programs throughout the country which produce this caliber of physician.

Scutwork says that you do all your own rads reading...plain films + CTs.

Is there no backup from rads at all?

With the increase in crime, kidnappings, etc along the Texas/Mexico border how safe is El Paso for families?

We have a radiology program now. I will continue to require all of my residents to read every film since radioloigists make mistakes as well.

El Paso is the third safest city >100k in the US this year (2nd last year, 4th year before, 3rd year before that). Yes there is a horrible drug war going on acroos the river, and we treat a lot of the victims, but we're still a quiet nonviolent town. We're the trauma center, about 6% penetrating.

How much more difficult would residency in Texas be without much Spanish speaking ability?

Basically impossible? Tough but manageable? Not so bad?

I'll speak only for El Paso. We are on the border, the hospital is a mile form the largest crossing. 80% of our population is Hispanic. About 30-50% of the patients speak Spanish only. They tend to be the older, sicker patients.

We put all of our residents who are not bilingual through a Medical Spanish course the first month. Since essentially all of the nursing personnel are bilingual, translation is always available.

The need for Spanish used to be a barrier to recruitment, now it's a plus. There's hardly an ED in the US now that you don't need Spanish regularly. Our grads all come out of the program able to do a H&P, discuss the bleeding hemorrhoids, and explain to the patient and family the plan. Ordering dinner however . . . not so much.

Most of our residents are happy they got the additional skill.

For the rest of the residencies in Texas, I'd imagine it's on the order of 20-30% Hispanics, about half with no English.

I was asked to write an updated review of the TT El Paso program. Most of what was written previously still very much applies. We do have an awesome set of faculty, all whom love to teach and are a pleasure to work with. In fact, several residents on other services have commented on how much they liked their EM rotations for that very reason. Having said that, I should also mention that the different services get along well. We work very close with surgery during traumas, SICU rotations etc, and there isn't a hostile relationship like I've heard about at other facilities. The same goes with anesthesia, medicine, OB, etc. Of course each specialty has different ways of approaching medicine, and there can be disagreement, but that should be expected.
It is a very busy ED, one shift I was working on the ortho service and 4 level 1 traumas rolled in one after the other. The ED is in the process of being completely updated as well. We just opened up 10 new trauma bays which we can use for conscious sedation procedures etc...and an entire east wing that is functioning now as more of an urgent care and then the "old" side will be overhauled soon as well. In addition, we have brand new OR's and a CT scanner that are connected to the ED and a children's hospital that should be finished in 2012.
Some misc items of note, free garage parking. Seems trivial, but I interviewed at a few programs where parking was outside, or limited and residents, attendings and all other staff were fighting each other for spots. If any of you have looked on the website at the stipend, its a few years and about $3K outdated. We also get $200 every two weeks to use in the cafeteria if you keep your medical records up to date, which isn't difficult to do. The food is pretty good, btw, but hospital food nonetheless. Insurance benefits are also very good. We receive medical, dental and vision from Blue Cross Blue shield of Texas and Avesis for dental and vision.
I know many people are also interested in how well the residents get along with one another. I feel that my intern class is my extended family. We all have very similar personalities, have similar interests and we just have fun together. One of the interns cooks regularly for everyone, we usually all go to someone's house or go out once a week if our schedules permit and of course we have a lot of fun during our Thursday conferences. I'm not sure if we just got lucky, or if we all chose this program because of our own needs/personalities, but I think I speak for us all when I say we have a good group. I would say the same about the 2nd and 3rd year class as well, but for the exception of a couple of the 2nd years, I haven't had a chance to be around them outside of work. That being said, all the residents are great, they are very helpful and sincere and have made me feel welcome.
ED rotation details are as follows. PGY1 4 ED months. First month in July we have medical spanish daily and misc. lectures and 4 twelve hour shifts on weekends. For the remaining months, one month has 19 x 12hr shifts, the other two are 15 shifts. PGY2 we work 7 months with one month 18 shifts and the others 16 shifts. PGY3 is 9 months in the ED one 17 shift and the rest 15. I should also mention that during our ED months, we can work up to 4 shifts in a row, and schedule about 5 days (sometimes more) off for vacation, and some residents have 7 weeks off a year. Even if the scheduling doesn't permit 7 weeks in a row, its still nice to have half a month off. Thursdays are protected from 7-12 for conference. We usually have faculty lectures and occasionally resident directed lectures mixed in with procedure labs at the new medical school across the street in the cadaver lab (1st cadaver lab I've ever been in I didn't leave smelling like cadaver).
Many of you are probably wondering about the patient population. Patients are mostly spanish speaking ~60 to 70% in the ED and 90% on some other services. Having never had spanish in high school or college I was worried I would be lost. But after a little more than 3 months, I can take a fairly decent H&P for most complaints. I think this is definitely one of the perks of the program.
I tried to include everything that would be generally relevant and I know I probably left some things out, but If anyone has any specific questions please ask. I started a thread which can be found at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10228660

Posted anonymously on behalf of a student who interviewed there.

Texas Tech Review

Pre-Interview Social: Dinner with the residents was at Carlos and Mickey’s, a Mexican restaurant. It was very casual. Very few residents showed up, just three with one from each year. I only really got to talk to two of them because the third guy was down at the other end of the table. At most places it seems like half the residents show up for the pre-interview dinner, so another applicant and I were wondering why so few of them came.

Interview Day: We started at 8:00 with a brief presentation by Dr. Greer, the PD. A lot of the information she provided isn’t posted on the TT website, so make sure you take notes. After that we had five interviews with the chairman, PD, assistant PD, resident, and one other faculty. The interviews were fairly laid back. I got asked why EM, why El Paso, what do I like to do for fun, tell about one of the activities on my ERAS, what do I see myself doing in five or ten years. Everyone also asked me what questions I had, so make sure you’re prepared to ask questions! Interviews ended around 11:30, and we had a brief tour by the same resident who interviewed us. The day was over by noon. You should eat breakfast before you go and factor in needing to get lunch yourself afterward, because no food was provided during the interview day.

Curriculum: TT is a three year program. The residents work 12 hour shifts: 19 during first year, 18 during second year, and 17 during third year. (It is possible that some 8 hour shifts will be added in the future, and residents work four fewer shifts during any month when they take a week’s vacation.) Shifts are assigned in blocks as opposed to circadian. The hospitals include UMC of El Paso (primary site) and St. Joseph’s in Phoenix where they do two trauma months. (This may be stopped in the future since the volume at St. Joe’s has decreased and they have a new surgery residency there.)

The first rotation for all residents is an orientation month with didactics and a few shifts thrown in. The new interns review all of the basic EM things that they need to know to hit the ground running. There are four EM months first year, 8 second year, and 8 third year. They have two floor months in IM and cards, although the cards is actually CCU for 15 days and 15 days of consult/EKG. There are only two weeks of OB/gyn, which I see as a plus, but others may not. Other rotations include the usual like ICU, PICU, tox, admin, peds EM, EMS, ortho, anesthesia.

One really nice feature of the TT curriculum is that there are three elective months, which is a lot for a three year program. There is one elective month in PGY1 and two in PGY3. Options include ultrasound, ophtho, derm, rads, community EM, research, and more. One of their faculty does a lot of work in Papua New Guinea and could help residents go abroad if they want. Another cool feature is the scholarly tracks, which are like mini-fellowships. The residents choose which track they want to do halfway through their first year. There are six of them: research, ultrasound, education (med students, simulation, education), tox, EMS, and admin. Each track is mentored by a specific faculty member and has its own requirements that must be completed before graduation. Doing the tracks helps fulfill RRC scholarly project requirements.

Didactics: There is weekly conference every Thursday and a procedure didactics lab during the July orientation month. They have a new sim center that was built along with the new medical school. The residents also do cadaver labs. Both are used for low volume, high yield cases and procedures that residents might otherwise not get enough experience with in the ER. There are also special topics for each year, with the interns getting lectures on EBM and US, the PGY2s getting peds and EKG, and the PGY3s getting business in medicine. In addition, there are several resources in place to help with test preparation and remediation if needed (annual inservice exam each Feb, monthly mock oral boards, and MD challenger, a 4000 question bank for board review that the program purchases for each resident).

Benefits: Their benefits are really excellent compared with most other programs. Vacation is three weeks per year, plus the “Kilgo plan” which is one week off per month during every EM month. So that comes out to four weeks off during PGY1 and eight weeks off each in PGY2-3! Every resident receives an EM text of their choice plus $100 for a textbook stipend. There are no assigned readings, so residents can get whichever major EM textbook they want. EM organization dues are paid by the program. Residents get $420 worth of free food per month in the hospital cafeteria as long as they keep up with their charting. They have free secured, covered parking near the ED. The salary for interns is currently only around $43,000, but cost of living in El Paso is so cheap that this is more than enough to live comfortably. (About 80% of the residents buy houses.) Medical insurance is covered for the residents and their families. All of the residents get free medical Spanish classes. Internal moonlighting is available. Also, there is no state income tax in TX, so that is another bonus.

Administration: Dr. Nelson, who is the chairman, posts on SDN (screen name BKN) to help answer questions. I don’t know of any other program where you can just post a question to the chairman of the EM department! Dr. Greer is the PD, and she seems very concerned with resident welfare. For example, she has instituted a resident wellness day where instead of having their Thursday didactics one week, the residents go do something fun like bowling, paintball, shooting, or just have breakfast together.

El Paso: I love El Paso as a city. Its proximity to Juarez (Mexico) where there is so much drug gang activity worried me at first, but CQ Press ranked El Paso the second safest city over 500,000 this year (first was Honolulu). They ranked El Paso as the third safest city last year. Cost of living is ridiculously cheap. The desert scenery is gorgeous. If you like outdoorsy things, there are a lot of nearby parks and the mountains are a few hours drive away for skiing. There are also college sports, an art museum, and oddly, a Holocaust museum.

Summary: TT is an older EM program that was originally a county hospital program and is now becoming an academic program. Besides the new med school and nursing school, they are building a new peds hospital that will be finished around Aug. 2012. The ED is currently being expanded and will be complete this August. This will increase the ED size to 35 beds plus 6-7 resuscitation rooms. There are many other changes planned, including adding fellowships. (They just started med tox and want to also add US, EMS, research, and maybe peds if the peds volume increases enough after the new hospital opens.) I definitely got the impression that this is a program on the move, and it’s going to have incredible opportunities once the transition to an academic institution is completed. I think the major pros are the cheap COL, beautiful scenery, nice weather, amazing benefits, and cool curricular features like the extra elective months and the scholarly tracks.

To me, the biggest con is that it was hard to get a good feel for what the social environment of the program is like, and what I did get was mostly negative. It really bothers me that I only met two residents, and I wonder why more of them didn’t want to come to the pre-interview dinner like they do at every single other program I’ve interviewed at. Of the two I met, one wasn’t very social with the applicants, and I didn’t feel like I gelled very well with the other. It’s kind of harsh to judge the whole program based on two people, but since these are the people they picked to meet with us, I think it’s still legitimate to be concerned about social fit. The lack of even a glass of water on the interview day makes me wonder too. Also, the info on their website is like three years out of date, and they don’t give any informational handouts at the interview day. The whole interview experience really doesn’t do justice to all of the great features of the program that I listed above.

Overall, this is a great program, but my gut feeling is that it’s not the best fit for me personally.

Thoughts from interview day

It’s a nice new hospital with a dedicated peds hospital next door. It’s level 1 trauma with not a lot of sub-specialties here. It was started in 1981, but most graduates stay in the El Paso area. I’m unsure of the prestige of the program. The big issue is that El Paso is a small city .Two El Paso natives on the plane flat out told me that I would get bored here. The residents say there’s a lot of outdoors things to do. Rock climbing is huge here. Nice skiing is 2 hours away in Ruidoso. There’s a lot of hiking trails and mountain biking. The pathology will be interesting as I am basically working in Mexico. The big unfortunate problem is that people do not go into Juarez unless they have family there. It’s a city of 2.5 million that has so much potential but is just too unsafe to go into. The city is beautiful and has amazing views. The only fellowship is toxicology, which is very strong. The program director was friendly enough but lacked charisma and energy. The residents were very warm and friendly, and for lunch they took us to a nice local sandwich shop.

Big Positive:

1. Great pathology. 90% of pts speak Spanish

Big Negative:

1. El Paso is a small city and El Paso natives even told me I would get bored

Below is a collection of brief reviews based on interview days/rotations from the ROL 2014-2015 thread. They aren't full reviews, but they do add some recent review-type of information.

Texas Tech El Paso - I had an awesome home rotation here. Really great faculty both in terms of easy-going personalities and knowledge. Most love to teach and give excellent feedback. It's the type of place where as a medical student, when you do a procedure successfully, one of the residents will give you a high five. My kinda people. It also became apparent to me after seeing the setup of the ED at other places that we have it pretty good when it comes to having private areas for charting. Slightly lower salary than some places, but awesome benefits. Also, the pathology here can't be beat. 12 hour shifts, which right now seems alright, but everyone keeps telling me how much I'll hate it. Right now the idea of having more days off sounds pretty good. We'll see!

Texas Tech El Paso - (+) county hospital that is level 1 with amazing pathology, overall chief residents were great and chill about interview day, smooth short interview (no tour of ICU thank goodness), ED and Peds ED is connected so both experiences are in house, integrated peds shifts, newly rennovated ED, PD was extremely nice, approachable and easy to talk/interview with, super low COL, medical spanish would be great in case living in any southern state (-) El Paso isn't for me, no US fellowship trained staff

Texas Tech El Paso – clearly a program in financial distress, poor reputation, PD seemed a bit strange to me, chair is well known here at SDN but is unfortunately apparently retiring soon, and yet they do have a catchment area of basically Mexico. A truly unique program in this regard. Crazy pathology as a result. This program swings wildly up and down my list depending on the day. I've had it as high as #5 or #6 at times, as I really love treating the hispanic pt population.

Can't comment on the program directly, but, I'll say that I know their new chair- fantastic guy, excellent clinician, and really a champion for a program.

Pros: great pathology, zero scut off-service rotations, solid/good relationship with all specialties - in all traumas, appropriate autonomy/supervision, not malignant, full/part time docs with academic/community ways of practicing, most of the faculty in the program will go to bat for you, recently hired faculty are good, a lot of SIM/oral boards review, good amount of days off, lots of outdoors stuff to do, weather is nice, cost of living is cheap, airport is easy to fly out of, great health insurance -- all told, the people are good and you will be prepared for community

Cons: heavy emphasis on inservice exam, little teaching on shift as it can be too busy - learning is largely self taught (can be a pro if you're self sufficient), not a research heavy program currently (pro/con?), little to do in El Paso if you're not into the outdoors

Reactions: 1 user