HealthPartners/Regions Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNgrrl

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HealthPartners/Regions Hospital

Residents: 9 residents per year. All really happy, down to earth, friendly. Mostly from the Midwest. Like to hang out together...while I was there, they had a residency retreat, which consisted of an AM meeting, and then bowling in the afternoon. They all had a great time together, and it was clear from their interactions that they had spent a lot of time outside of the hospital together. When I asked about their favorite part of the residency program, they unanimously thought they had superior comraderie.

Faculty: I know most of the faculty well from work I did there before med school, and they are all extremely dedicated to teaching. Felix Ankel, the PD, is awesome, and very supportive of his residents. He has a very good relationship with the department chair, and the residency has a lot of support from the ED and hospital administration. Very open to change based on resident feedback. Several nationally known faculty including Bob Knopp, who is one of the editors of Annals, as well as the chair, Brent Asplin, who is on numerous ACEP commitees and does a lot of work with ED crowding. There has been some recent faculty turnover over the past couple of years, however when I asked about this, pretty much everyone had left for various personal/career development reasons such as significant others moving, etc. They have gotten some great young faculty who are superb teachers.

Hospital:
Regions is the primary site, with a 34 bed ED (although they are currently expanding, which should be done in a year or so, and will approx. double the size of the ED), Level-I trauma center, and >60K visits/year, including pediatric visits (although most sick kids go to either St. Paul Childrens or Mpls Childrens, both of which the residents rotate through). Mostly blunt trauma. They also go to North Memorial for a community ED experience. Fast track staffed about 14 hrs/day with PA's.

Ancillary Stuff: The nurses and techs are great! Did one fem stick but otherwise all blood draws, IVs, etc were done for me (unless I wanted to do them). No scut. EM2 always has the airway in trauma. EM resident on the trauma service runs the traumas (split with surgery resident). Social work pretty much makes all the dispositions on the psych patients, and if they board for a long time (psych beds are tight in MN, as they are everywhere), they are moved up to a special psych holding area upstairs and their care is taken over by a PA. They use vocera to communicate within the ED, which cuts down on the inefficiency of tracking someone down if you need to tell them something.

Admitting/Documentation: Full admitting privileges. Beautiful new electronic medical record system, tracking board, electronic order entry, online rads viewers and labs. Pretty much only paper is EKG (though old EKGs are available online). All old charts available online immediately.

Curriculum: PGY 1-3. SICU and MICU as PGY 1s and 2s, 2 dedicated peds months, however pedi is mixed in at the main hospital as well (though more infrequent, but likely would see at least a couple pedi patients on every shift), also ortho, anesthesia, OB/Gyn, cards as a 1st year Residents thought their off service rotations were excellent, and liked the ICU heavy curriculum. No gen med floor months, but there is a cards rotation, which they were trying to tweak a little to get more EKG teaching. First years work only evening and night shifts to get more procedure experience outside of the times that there are most likely to be specialty services in house. 2s and 3s work 10 hour shifts (which they had recently changed to allow more days off). Ultrasound used constantly -- several awesome ultrasound faculty, although they are working on making sure that all faculty are certified and can easily use the ultrasound. Major goal is progressive responsibility -- 3rd years manage flow through the department and supervises off service residents, the 2nd years are expected to see most of the patients.

Didactics/Research: Same didactics you'll find everywhere basically...protected conference time (5 hrs on thurs AM). Research available for those who want it, although probably a bit of a weakness at this point, since the research coordinator recently left, and they have yet to find a replacement. Dept chair used to be the research director, so he is very supportive of research in the department.

City: The Twin Cities are actually really nice, although winters can be a little long. It is a refugee resettlement community, and has the largest Somali population of anywhere in the country. There is also a decent hispanic population. Lots of good restaurants, parks, ice skating on lakes in the winter. When I worked at Regions, I lived in Uptown (near Mpls), and was about a 15 minute drive without traffic, about double that with bad traffic. Also, who can resist the Mall of America (kidding....).

Extras: First years go to SAEM as a class, otherwise decent benefits, pay, memberships, etc. Excellent sim center. International rotations possible.

Negatives: As I mentioned above, research might be a little more difficult for people needing more assistance (although the support is definitely there), although I know they are looking for a coordinator. The interns didn't seem to mind the evening and night schedule, but this may be a negative for some. The location is likely a negative for people not wanted long/cold winters.

Overall: This is an awesome program, and I would encourage people to apply here. I think it sometimes gets overshadowed by its more well known neighbor, Hennepin, however the training here is top notch, and you will undoubtedly come out of this program well prepared. Feel free to PM me with any other questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Program: Regions (HealthPartners)

Disclosure:
Interview only without ED observation time.

General stuff: This was a quirky interview day. I only met the PD during the interview – He did not do a presentation in the morning. I really felt that I did not get a sense of his vision for the residency program due to this. We did meet as a group, informally, with the assistant PD but I didn't feel like I got to know the program as well as I did at other places where the PD talked to us for an hour and laid out his/her vision. One great thing about the interview day was that we each got a personal tour from one for the residents, so this really gave me a chance to ask a lot of questions and get to know the program better. I attended an hour of their didactics, which is a critical case conference that they hold every week. I really enjoy jumping in and talking about a critical case versus the board style thing that others do, so this was a real positive for me. The PD ran the hour, and did cold call on the residents although the questions weren't hard. The PD is quite eccentric – he jots notes and sort of doodles on a piece of paper while he talks to you during the interview.

Strengths: Regions serves a very poor and sick population (for the Twin Cities), so they see a lot of sick medical patients. Great mix of pathology, and great if you like working with the underserved which I do. They used to be the county hospital for St Paul and their patient base hasn't changed even though the hospital has. They are staffed pretty thin so there is no shortage of patients and it sounds like the residents enjoy a lot of autonomy with many attendings. This is a casual, family style group of people who are all very friendly (after all, it's Minnesotta). I remember that critical care is one of the things residents said was very strong. One of the units they staff with other residents and in another unit they are the only residents there. The hospital is the home of no other residencies although there are residents from most specialties at UM rotating through. This means that EM enjoys a lot of influence within the institution. The PD wants the program to be very transparent – in my folder was a copy of the annual resident survey which consisted of residents' answers to about 100 probing questions about the program as well as a copy of their RRC letter. No other program has provided me with such information. They have the inpatient tox service for the Tox fellowship, which I believe is a joint thing between HCMC and Regions. Both Regions and Hennpin are burn centers.

Weaknesses: HealthPartners is a nonprofit HMO that owns Regions. During the conference I attended there was a lot of emphasis placed on cost of a certain medical supply or test. Maybe it was just the day I was there. Also, the residents say that there is pressure during the R2 and R3 years to keep patients moving. Residents also say that due to this emphasis on flow combined with the thin staffing and lots of sick patients, that there is often not a lot of on the fly teaching. Ultrasound is average – they have machines available and a few attendings are credentialed but I don't think there are a ton of credientialled faculty. Having said that, one of the R3's is going to a U/S fellowship at a great institution next year. They don't see as much trauma as a couple other hospitals in town, but they do rotate though the largest volume trauma center in the city for 1 or 2 months.

Overall: I like the fact that Regions is an affiliated hospital versus a tertiary care center, as I think the residents get a lot of hands on experience that might otherwise be done by consultants. The critical care seems strong, with at least one of the units (I believe this is the SICU) being staffed only by EM residents. I get the sense that being managed by an HMO brings certain pressures, but the faculty tout this as a strength. They say you will be better prepared because you were confronted with the business of medicine during residency. I think that's true, but I do think it also brings along with it some cons. I think we find some of the same pressures to move patients and keep flow going in publicly funded hospitals but for different reasons. This place had a county feel to me where residents had a lot of autonomy and I liked that. All in all, I think you will get good training here, see a great mix of pathology, and deal with high acuity patients. The Twin cities is an incredible place to live.