University of Connecticut (UConn) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quinsy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope this is helpful, and I would like to hear about UPenn and Univ. of Utah/Kentucky if folks have been there.

OHIO STATE
Beautiful facilities, which I did not expect. A large, very nice hospital. Columbus looks like a pretty cool place, which is what I've heard about it. No traffic, very affordable houses (yes, you could totally buy a freestanding house, not a condo/townhome for whatever your price range is). A cool trendy restaurant area called the Short North where we went to a wine/tapas bar the night before. I liked it!

The staff at Ohio State was so welcoming and so nice... probably the nicest of any program I've been to, and I've been to like 10 programs. I really liked the program directors and the coordinating staff, and the residents too. Best lunch for interviewees, the lunch was unbelievable, at this fancy place called the Faculty Club. I like programs that have money to spend, it is a good sign. Oh, and I liked the department chair too very much.

There was also a highly electronic ED, which is one thing I'm looking for. The children's hospital seemed like a nice place to work too, though it wasn't that close to the main hospital and I would rather see peds integrated into your regular shifts (though I noticed that others don't feel the same way). The faculty seemed to be responsive to resident feedback and were changing the curriculum as a result, trying to make everything a good learning experience for them, which I also definitely appreciate.

Overall really liked this program and would rank it highly aside from personal reasons I have to be elsewhere.

GAINESVILLE
Gainesville is just a big college town in central Florida, a weird place because it's got plenty of people but no large buildings due to some sort of zoning restrictions that keep it looking like a smaller town than it is. The residency program is really new, I knew it was relatively recent but didn't realize that the interns had only started this year. So they currently have 8 residents. The hospital is not a huge hospital and it is on the college campus. The staff seemed to have quite a jovial relationship, everyone was laughing it up half the time. They said it was a great place for singles, too, all the college kids and grad students everywhere and of course southern girls at college, well you know what I mean.

The ED was fairly nice, fairly electronically up to date, but the really great thing is that they are building a new ED across the street to be part of a 'critical care tower' which will be awesome. I think that their ED then will certainly rival if not best UMass' ED (which is gorgeous and amazing as noted by other reviewers). It is aimed to be completed sometime like mid-2008 so we'd get a chance to work there.

Liked the program adminstrators, they were very casual and easy to talk to. This program seemed pretty laid back but I feel the educational experience would be good. Was impressed by the simulation experience because they use sim pretty frequently and they have the whole Sim family, not just one Sim man, though currently the stuff is squeezed into the conference room they will be changing their conference room soon and I assume then it will be just a devoted sim lab. Oh yeah, and the conference room had this ridiculous interactive presentation screen that you could 'touch-click' on. Biggest flat-screen I have ever seen. Finally you got plenty of food money and could use it at all the food places in the hospital which included Wendy's, ChickFilA, a coffee cart, etc.

UCONN

Moving on finally to UConn... sadly, I wasn't that into this program, but I think it was a result of partially being tired and partially it just wasn't the program for me, so I want to try to present an objective picture for others who might be into this program.

The program is located at Hartford Hospital, only maybe 3 months of time in the residency are spent at the UConn Health Center which is lovely and in Farmington. HH is not nearly as nice, the neighborhood is OK, it's not bad like coming into Hopkins or something. The children's hospital is pretty cool though, I did like it over there.

The simulation center was fairly advanced, it did span multiple rooms with a very high-tech looking control room, though it wasn't new and shiny it did look like a good solid setup. Most programs just have one room with the sim man and maybe a control room of some sort. This one also had a debriefing room with lecture space and all that.

The cafeteria did not look good and the residents said they had gotten it so that their food money would just be added on to their paycheck, which is probably a better arrangement even though it was only like $150 per year. What else... the didactics seemed OK, they have great 5 star reviews on scutwork so I think the residents are quite happy with it, think they just hired a new ultrasound fellowship trained guy and so improved that aspect of the program quite a bit. They have a flight program and you can go with the helicopter but I don't think it's required. Notably, at Yale you don't do helicopter stuff, you have to get farmed out for it to Pennsylvania because the UConn service is too busy to take them.

I am sure the trauma experience is excellent at UConn. The other thing I did not like was as I mentioned in another post, they had trouble with the administration and doing away rotations because of Medicare dollars. That bugged me. I'd say the international experience is not that strong here but you could probably go anywhere in the USA, where of course there are plenty of places to go and things to do, if you don't care much about going abroad.

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital: Hartford Hospital (main), Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, John Dempsey Hospital (UConn University Hospital)

ED Facility: Medical center is in a decent section of town. 60 beds, pretty clean and nice looking. Good volume (80K adult, 45K peds). Did not tour UConn hospital. Ancillary staff seemed overall very nice and proficient. Residents said they had drawn blood only once during their tenure. They occasionally discharge their own patients if the nurses are a bit slow at it. The department is divided into 5 pods. You do blue and green as intern (teaching medical pods). Red is the trauma pod. Gold is the fast track pod and is run by PAs but EM residents do occasional shifts in Gold. Purple is the psych pod and residents do not rotate here.

Location: I didn’t end up seeing a lot of Hartford so I’m not sure how nice it is. It didn’t look awful but I’ve heard mediocre things about it. However the area of the country is very nice, it’s not too far from lots of fun stuff (2 hrs to Boston, 2 hrs to NYC, 2 hrs to skiing in Vermont). Most residents live in West Hartford/Farmington. A decent number of them are able to buy, most of the ones with families own.

Year Established: 1993; has full accreditation with 5-year cycle

Status within Institution: Trauma services gets activated for major stuff; ED manages airway, seems like surgerey runs the traumas, but you rotate on their service. Program does not have full departmental status, it is a division of the “traumatology” department (trauma surgery, EM, and toxicology).

Pediatric Experience: there’s a peds floor month, 2 dedicated peds EM months, and peds is also integrated into regular EM HH months as well. UConn hospital sees just a little bit of peds. Peds trauma goes to HH then transferred to CCMC after stabilized. Peds ED looked great.

Trauma Experience: there’s a pretty good knife and gun club in Hartford as well as plenty of blunt trauma. The gun violence tends to go to the other Level I trauma center in the area, the knife club comes to HH.

Ultrasound: there’s a new US trained attending, talk of starting an US fellowship. Lots of brand new fancy machines, 2 in the trauma bays that don’t leave, one that wanders around the department, even one up in the sim lab. Central lines are US guided.

Residents: Every resident I met was fantastic. They all seemed genuinely happy, had a great time together the night before. One of the funnest groups I've met on the interview trail. In fact this is one of the biggest strengths of the program for me.

Number of Hours per Shift: 8-10 (50% 8, 45% 9, 5% 10). 20/month all 3 yrs.

EMS Experience: optional, no scheduled EMS rotation. Flight service was big enough to warrant a stop on the tour.

Orientation: not much of an orientation, just a week. But they say that they just take it easy on you in the ED for the first year and orient as you go along. Not sure if this is a big deal or not.

Other:
• Food at the caf doesn’t seem very good, the residents get the $ added to their paychecks instead of free food. They say there isn’t a lot of time to eat on shifts so they normally just grab stuff in the department.
• Sim-man lab is pretty nice and well used. Residents go every other conference day. The director plays funny music when you screw up and kill the dummy.
• Research was cited as an area that needs improvement
• Program not very happy about letting its residents do international rotations because they need the medicare money for funding
• There's a girls night out most Fridays

I'm a Uconn EM intern from cali originally. The program has been good so far. The ED is great and the attendings are excellent. The residents are fun and outgoing and we're always getting together. The offservice rotations are decent (i've done medicine, peds, anesthesia (really good), ob/gyn). Everyone's very laid back and collegial. Feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

Below are my biased short reviews:

Maine Med: +good residents, lots of camaraderie, cushy number of shifts, do lots of stuff in the ED (do not consult as much), lots of ED time as opposed to offservice, lots of outdoor opportunities in area
-not too much pen trauma, fair blunt, cold winters, small program, homogeneous population

U Mass: +good residents, very nice ED, well respected residents, good research, Hawaii elective, awesome helicopter experience, good reputation in area, great ultrasound
-hard to switch shifts, some unhappiness with residents, seemed like residents stay 1-3 hours after shifts for cleanup

Baystate: +work less than allmost anywhere else, good blunt trauma, good patient mix, very little offservice
-residents did not seem strong, faculty I interviewed with seemed disinterested, cramped department, city sucks and lots of residents live far away in nice town, bad ultrasound

OHSU: +very nice hospital, good research, cool city, residents were friendly
-small program, go to lots of different hospitals because primary does not see enough variety, residents did not seem strong

Carolinas: +great teaching, great research, awesome facilities, strong off service, good ICU experience, great reputation, strong residents
-lots of off service months, city not exactly what I expected

ECU:+strong residents, good teaching, nice department, great patient population, good reputation
-electronic records seem poorly implemented, city is very undesirable for some people

Wake Forest: +good teaching, good facilities, strong residents, good US
-Winston-Salem shuts down on Sundays

Christiana: +good residents, huge department, good records, good patient population, great benefits, nice facility, good teaching, very little off service, great ICU experience, great ultrasound
-area may not suit some

U Conn: +nice PD, nice facilities, good relationships with trauma
-area,

Duke: +New PD seems awesome, nice hospital, would be a good area to live in,good teaching
-not enough electives