UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson (Camden)/Cooper Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent anonymously via PM

RWJMS - Camden

Structure: 3 year program

Affiliation with program: rotated here

Residents: 9 per yr. Great bunch of residents lots from northeast. 3-4 from Temple and UMDNJ each year. No IMG's. Not really sure how DO friendly it is. Most live in philly as the commute is shorter than most philly programs. Some of the nicest residents i worked with. All love the program and the 4-5 resident I asked ranked it 1st. All the years hang out together. Senior residents are very confident supervise interns and medical students. At cooper your pt is your pt. So if the interns pt crumps, it is his with senior resident next to him to bounce questions off.

Faculty: Awesome faculty! Some the nicest I've met. Truly interested in teaching making you learn more. Most are from the philly programs; penn, mcp, drexel, cooper, jacobi, uchicago. Really big in septic shock research. several EM/IM/CC guys that were big in the "surviving sepsis campaign" and are part of emshocknet with beth israel deconess and carolinas medical center.

Hospital: The main facility is at Cooper Univserity Hospital in Camden, NJ. Only level 1 trauma center in south jersey and is across the river from philly. 60,000 visits. from about "1/3 african-america, 1/3 hispanic(they have translators that work in the dept), 1/3 caucasian. There is tons of trauma. They are building a brand new ER which is a 1/3 done and will be completed by May. Seperate peds ed. Everything computerized with the charting be computerized in march. Spend a couple months at virtua hospital in rural nj for community experience

Ancillary Stuff: The RNs are skilled, very experienced, and nice. Not much scut. I think interns have to put IV's in the first 2 months, which i think is a good idea. No wheeling pts around. Ct and xray are in the dept

Documentation: still write charts but that will be gone in march. There is an electronic board, EPIC is the system; easy to use.

Curriculum: Well thought out. 7 months of ICU time including 4 in trauma ICU. others 2 icu, ccu, picu. no medicine floor. level 1 traumas run by trauma team with em residents on the team and 2nd or 3rd yrs coming over from main ed to get trauma airways. used to have 4 months trauma cut down to 3.5 bc residents said they felt super comfortable. tons of chest tubes, thoracotomies when on trauma. the trauma service is super busy bc every gsw or car accident in camden or anywhere is south jersey comes to cooper. dedicated peds em months and random ones throughout 2 and 3rd yr. residents say they see plenty of peds. picu month done at st chris in philly bc they see sicker kids then cooper's picu. shifts are 9 hrs and you get out on time. guarantee 2 full weekends off when in ED. chief residents do schedule every month and said everyone gets off the days they want. interesting "niche" track that helps get your research requirement done. the niche track forces you to have a focus that will make you more marketable. A few other 3 year programs have taken this niche idea. moolight as a 2nd and 3rd year in fast track and peds ed.

Didactics: Normal weekly conferences on wed. They do ekg conference every week with electronic polling which is cool. Residents say they are really strong with ekg's

City: Camden is a bad neighborhood. competes with detroit and dc for most dangerous city. BUT the hospital is really safe. parking garage well lit and security patrolled. I never felt unsafe once. Outside the hospital is nice during the day with people eating lunch outside when its nice. All residents live in philly, which is literally 5 minutes away, or towns outside of Camden. I like the affordability and feel of philly compared to nyc.

Postives: Awesome pathology. i havent interviewed at kings county or jacobi yet but i think pathology and trauma is probably comparable. Chairman is an awesome guy and is someone i want to work for. he gets stuff done for the dept. EM just got brand new offices and new conference rooms bc of his pull. EM are some of the strongest residents in hospital. tons of procedures with central lines and intubations, enough that they give them to students. Faculty interested in teaching. great attending to resident ratio. I think its like 2-3 attendings to 4-6 residents depending on the time of day.

Negative: Not many. i think it kinda gets overshadowed by the philly program across the river. camden could be a negative but you really dont see much of the city and no one lives there. the salary is kinda low at 43,000.

Overall: very impressed by this program. residents love it and attending and residents really get along. great pathology, great teaching, good hours. In my opinion this is one of the top 1 or 2 in Philly. I would be honored to match here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping to bump this and get an updated review if anyone has any input

Thanks in advance!