SUNY Upstate (Syracuse) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wckedjkster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there
sorry for the late response (hope that didn't raise the anxiety level) but i don't check the forum as often. I'm one of the interns. here it goes.

This is a 3 year residency program that has been around since 91 with 10 resident/class. The program is well respected within the medical center. the em chair was recently promoted to CEO of the medical center so the dept. is also well connected and supported from the higher ups.
Hospital
- University Hospital (adult/peds), Community General, VA, St. Joseph (IM and OB)
- Level I Trauma Center and Pediatric Trauma Center, dunno the official visits #.
- Dedicated Peds ED
- Burn Center for Central NY
- the only Hyperbaric center (we get lots of CO poisoning during winter times)
- 8 hour shifts with sign out at the main ED. 9 hour shifts in community with variable signouts (depending on attending)
- great support staff, nurses are responsive (to an extent), everyone's on the same page in term of patient care and improving through-put.
- the ED/peds/community are very busy (expect at least 1 pt/hour), however our attendings always make sure that there's an educational point to every case
- the new peds hospital will attract more volume so there's no shortage of seeing sick kids.
Education.
- protected conference time 10am-4pm every wednesday, 1 trauma conf. where we discuss an interesting case with the trauma surgeons.
- we just had Peds EM conference, and tox conference, which were awesome
- lectures are generally given by attendings but can be given by residents if interested.
- chapters from tintinalli's, which is provided by the program.
- our faculty are very stable with great knowledge, many of them are graduates of the program. we're also getting a flood of new attendings who have been amazing.
- the PD is very responsive to residents needs (the previous class felt lacking in community ED experience so we're the first class with a new block of community ED in the curriculum)
- we're getting a new attending with a strong US background in Jan.
- we have 3-5 attendings who are very involved with EMS.
- lots of sim times, we have 3-4 rooms that can be used at the same time. Ample procedure labs to practice rare procedures. this is definitely a strong point of the program.
- as R2, we have cadaver labs which i heard was very popular
- Teaching opportunity - residents can participate in giving AI lectures/sims, teaching ACLS to MS3/PA, ICM for MS2, airway clinic, suture clinic, there're tons of teaching opportunities up for grab.
- Research - faculties have so many ideas. there're always ongoing research projects that anyone can hop on board and possibly get published..which bring me to the next point...
- if the poster/presentation/case gets published at a national/regional conference (ACEP/SAEM/NYACEP), we can attend with the program covering the cost.
- i found that this program's scheduling allows me to actually have time to read and also have time to myself.
Curriculum
- Lots of time in the ED (5 blocks in adult ED, 2 blocks in Peds ED intern year 8 blocks in adult, 2 blocks in peds ED 2nd year), which was a big draw for me. i felt that the more time spent in the ED, the more i'll be prepared. more specifics can be found at our website http://www.upstate.edu/emergency/residency/curriculum/curriculum.php#em1
- International medicine elective in 3rd year (India, China, St. Lucia)
- we also "work" the Syracuse Uni basketball/football games.
Traumas
- we control the airway and run all the trauma codes.
- on level 2 traumas, we can stabilize and clear patient and then call the trauma team.
- on level 1 traumas, the trauma team is present and the procedures are usually split up depending on the number of residents present. I.E. the EM R3 runs the trauma, EM R1 runs airway, while EM R2 can do procedures. if there's no EM R2 or R1 there then the trauma team gets the procedure. there's always an R3 on every shift.
- we get lots of trauma, including blunt/gsw/fall/snowmobile accidents/stabbings (stabacuse is a nickname for the city)/hunting accidents.
- lots of procedures are available (i've done over 15 intubations before even doing my anesthesia month) and medical education keep track of how many are done which are very useful when we finish the program.

Reasons why i chose this programs:
the support staff and the resources and opportunities here are incredible. the residents are very supportive of each other. we try to get together once a week but it's tough due to intern schedules. the population in syracuse is very diverse, we get an aspect of all the crazy traumas but also lots of sick patients who don't have insurance and present to the ED already in decompensation (bad for them, but great for training). the med center is a huge tertiary care center so we get lots of interesting cases. now granted, living in syracuse is not like living in NYC but it's very affordable and we get paid relatively well to live comfortably (46k/year). there are things to do but you just have to look harder. also, i'm sure everyone's aware of the snow in syracuse, which seems to freak out the applicants on interview day.
Our sim center is freaking awesome! I didn't think it was a big deal as a medical student but it definitely decrease anxiety level when i'm seeing a CHF with cardiogenic shock or status asthmaticus/epilepticus in a real setting and have no problem managing them because i ran that sim 2-3 times.
EM is the only program at Upstate that was allowed by the GME office to moonlight. in fact, moonlighting is encouraged if done within GME work hour rules.

i hope this help. if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM or post them here. sorry for getting back so late.

Members don't see this ad.