What questions to ask during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard it's good to ask questions towards the end of an interview because it show's even more interest from the applicant.

What are some good questions to ask at the end when they ask if you have any?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard it's good to ask questions towards the end of an interview because it show's even more interest from the applicant.

I always ask interviewers reasons THEY like the school. Its one thing for a pamphlet to tell you x and y reasons their school is great, another to hear it from people who actually work/go to school there.

Some of my interviews were in towns I was unfamiliar with so some of my questions revolved around what the night life was like or things the town had to offer.

Other good options are to ask them about their research or career path. Those are good starting questions... Oh and you can ask them to tell funny patient stories, doctors love telling those...

Members don't see this ad :)

On a more serious note then the poster below you:

Common questions asked at med school interviews:

1. Is there a note taking service or some form of video or audio lectures?

2. what percent of people get their first choice in the match process for residency?

3. What are the step 1 averages at the school? What percent of kids get a passing score on the first try? or for that matter what percent of kids get above xyz score? you can fill in what xyz stands for.

4. Ask specific questions about specific programs if you don't already have the answer to it. Like for BU, my friend asked about their global health program opportunities in more detail.

These were all questions to ask listed on the colorado career website link

Are there any special programs for which this medical school is noted?
2. Describe this school's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years. Are there any
innovations, like Problem-Based Learning?
3. Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?
4. Is there a note-taking service? If so, is it University-run or student-run?
5. Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses
(accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?
6. Has this medical school, or any of its clinical departments, been on probation or had its
accreditation revoked?
7. How do students from this medical school perform on the National Board Examinations?
How does the school assist students who do not pass?
8. How are students evaluated academically? How are clinical evaluations performed?
9. Is there a formal mechanism in place for students to evaluate their professors and attending
physicians? What changes have been made recently as a result of this feedback?
10. What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students?
Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children?
11. Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students,
or both?
12. How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic
minorities and women?
13. Tell me about the library and extracurricular facilities (i.e., housing and athletic/recreational
facilities).
14. Are there computer facilities available to students? Are they integrated into the
curriculum/learning?
15. What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural
settings— are available or required for clerkships? Does this school allow for students to do
rotations at other institutions or internationally?
16. Is a car necessary for clinical rotations? Is parking a problem?
17. What is the current tuition and fees? Is this expected to increase yearly? If so, at what rate?
18. Are there stable levels of federal financial aid and substantial amounts of university/medical
school endowment aid available to students?
19. Are there students who have an "unmet need" factor in their budget? If so, where do these
students come up with the extra funds?
20. Are spouses and dependents/children covered in a student's budget?
21. Is someone available to assist students with budgeting and financial planning?
22. Does this school provide guidance to its students, and to its graduates/alumni, on debt
management?
23. What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation?
24. Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service?
25. How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations?
26. Is there an established protocol for dealing with student exposure to infectious diseases? Is
disability insurance provided to cover this exposure?
27. Does this school provide, or does the student pay for, vaccinations against Hepatitis B or
prophylactic AZT treatment in case of a needle-stick or accident?
28. Is there a school Honor Code? Is there a grievance process/procedure? Are the students
involved?
29. May I see a list of residency programs to which this school's recent graduates were
accepted?
30. Does this school have strengths in the type of medicine (primary versus specialized care,
urban versus rural practice environment, academic medicine versus private practice) that I will want
to practice?
31. Would I be happy at this school (for at least the next four years)?

Here's the link

http://www.colorado.edu/aac/PreMed_interviewquestions.pdf

The link also has commonly asked interview questions.

All of my interviewers were stumped and impressed with this question:

What would you change about your school?

Reactions: 1 user
F one, marry one, kill one. Go!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

2. what percent of people get their first choice in the match process for residency?

3. What are the step 1 averages at the school? What percent of kids get a passing score on the first try? or for that matter what percent of kids get above xyz score? you can fill in what xyz stands for.

4. Ask specific questions about specific programs if you don't already have the answer to it. Like for BU, my friend asked about their global health program opportunities in more detail.

I would be careful asking questions 2 and 3 to an interviewer. Chances are they do not know or don't want to tell you (more the former than the latter if the interviewer is a clinician or researcher that isn't involved in student affairs).

Suggestions:
1- Ask about research opportunities.
2- Ask about clinical sites, experiences, etc
3- Ask about the city, raising a family (if applicable)
4- Ask about the culture, moral
5- Ask waht the interviewer would like to say change in the next 5 years
6- Ask about upcoming changes

Think of other things you care about.

Uhh I was being serious.

First two yeah but the 3rd one seemed kinda weird. Like what does that have to do with the school and in a 30 min or 1 hour interview where very little of that is dedicated to you asking questions, I'm sure they don't want to hear you waste their time asking for patient stories. They want to see that you are genuinely interested in the school and ask questins about what the school has to offer not turning it into a social call.

That's why I said on a more serious note then yours. though i hope you don't hold anything against me for it. I just don't feel that is the appropriate sort of stuff. And based on talking with advisors at BUSM who interview candidates and with people at USF med and elsewhere I always got the feeling that while it is good to try to connect with interviewers you need to be showing real interest in the school through being able to ask about the school's programs, about aspects of the school, and things of that nature are the sort of things they want to hear when they say any questions.

They want to see you've thought about the school. That is just my general impression anyhow.

I would be careful asking questions 2 and 3 to an interviewer. Chances are they do not know or don't want to tell you (more the former than the latter if the interviewer is a clinician or researcher that isn't involved in student affairs).

Suggestions:
1- Ask about research opportunities.
2- Ask about clinical sites, experiences, etc
3- Ask about the city, raising a family (if applicable)
4- Ask about the culture, moral
5- Ask waht the interviewer would like to say change in the next 5 years
6- Ask about upcoming changes

Think of other things you care about.

Good suggestions and good point. I was told by my M2 friend that the 2 questions you bolded was what she asked at a lot of places, that's where I got that idea from. but you do make a good point that they may not know or want to share that stuff.

All of my interviewers were stumped and impressed with this question:

What would you change about your school?

I'm going to get in touch with the schools where I interviewed and ask if I can do it over again so I can ask this.

At EVERY interview, I ask what they like best about the school, and what they would change if they could change anything. Even asking these questions of different interviewers at the same school will get you different answers, which in turn gives you a better understanding of what the school is really all about.

Beyond that, it varies, and I might ask questions about their career path, research, hobbies, area around the school/town/city...

Before you leave in the interview I highly recommend some understanding of how the grading process works during clinical years.

Also, Know what the schools "Core" 3rd year rotations are. Opportunities for an elective during 3rd year are awesome if your considering a more unusual specialty.

I had no idea about these 2 things when I interviewed for med school and wish I would have payed more attention.

Also, Don't forget about logistics.

Whats parking like?
Do you get a food card for the hospital?

Don't be afraid to ask the student interviewers what they don't like about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
All these posts were extremely helpful, exactly what i was looking for, very serious and logical questions. Like it, Thanks!

Guju Doc,

I think you were trying to be helpful but 90% of these questions are incredibly lame. Maybe 95%.

Tell me about the library? Does the school pay for Hep B shots? Would I be happy? How much is tuition? Asking such questions is guaranteed to make anyone look like an idiot.

First two yeah but the 3rd one seemed kinda weird. Like what does that have to do with the school and in a 30 min or 1 hour interview where very little of that is dedicated to you asking questions, I'm sure they don't want to hear you waste their time asking for patient stories. They want to see that you are genuinely interested in the school and ask questins about what the school has to offer not turning it into a social call.

That's why I said on a more serious note then yours. though i hope you don't hold anything against me for it. I just don't feel that is the appropriate sort of stuff. And based on talking with advisors at BUSM who interview candidates and with people at USF med and elsewhere I always got the feeling that while it is good to try to connect with interviewers you need to be showing real interest in the school through being able to ask about the school's programs, about aspects of the school, and things of that nature are the sort of things they want to hear when they say any questions.

They want to see you've thought about the school. That is just my general impression anyhow.

Ever hear of small talk? All of my interviews were conversational. There was never a "dedicated" time for questions and so they naturally came out of the conversation. Asking an interviewer about their research is a perfectly appropriate question.

Do you guys think the "What would you change about your school?" is a risky question to ask?

Do you guys think the "What would you change about your school?" is a risky question to ask?

Nah I think it'd be pretty well received by them.

Guju Doc,

I think you were trying to be helpful but 90% of these questions are incredibly lame. Maybe 95%.

Tell me about the library? Does the school pay for Hep B shots? Would I be happy? How much is tuition? Asking such questions is guaranteed to make anyone look like an idiot.

You picked out some of the lame ones indeed but a bunch of them are really good, insightful questions to ask. I like her list.

These were all questions to ask listed on the colorado career website link

I think those questions though they might seem good, are not speaking in favor of the one asking. If you are asking the students maybe yes but to the interviewer IMO seems like you are worried about the numbers of the school, the group instead of you individually. You might go to a school where step I ave is 200 but if you still have the potential to score high. and also some of these can be found online. My thing is to avoid questions you could have found the answers for while doing your normal research about the school. If everyone has answered the good questions you had before the interview, simply tell them so and maybe just take that time to get to know the interviewer their specialty, their everyday responsabilities... they love to talk about that too (for the most part)
Thats what I did and it worked well