Residency Applicant Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have more than a day off in between traveling to interviews for the first time and I have no idea what to do with myself. Suggestions?

ETA: Page 6.
I just ordered 5 books off amazon to read during my IPPE rotation months. I'd read a leisure reading book if I had a day off right now.

Members don't see this ad.

This killed a few minutes and is incredibly appropriate. A little NSFW, by the way.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/interview_questions

I freaking love The Oatmeal. Although to be honest, Hyperbole and a Half is far awesomer. This post, in particular, hit far too close to home.

Oh, and to all of you interviewing out there, one quick piece of advice - it's really easy for your interviewers to tell if you did your homework on the program ahead of time. Try to come in with enough knowledge about the residency so that you can ask intelligent questions (and yes, you SHOULD ask questions!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I freaking love The Oatmeal. Although to be honest, Hyperbole and a Half is far awesomer. This post, in particular, hit far too close to home.

Oh, and to all of you interviewing out there, one quick piece of advice - it's really easy for your interviewers to tell if you did your homework on the program ahead of time. Try to come in with enough knowledge about the residency so that you can ask intelligent questions (and yes, you SHOULD ask questions!)

that blog entry has become the mantra of our residency class. For quite awhile my gchat status was "Collect ALL the data?!"

Like a Mother Effing Champion!

That post is too good for words. "What am I, a wizard!?" :lol:

Edit: My personal fav is the alot.

I literally almost had an asthma attack from laughing so hard after reading the post about moving. Apparently Helper Dog is still slightly broken :(

Hyperbole and a Half is far awesomer. This post, in particular, hit far too close to home.
So much word. This is my all-time favorite blog. I did the ugly cry/laugh over so many of her posts. Her test for canine ******ation, the moving post, the I'll never be an adult post, the drugged after the dentist post. So much awesomeness and the drawings are amazing. I have a girl-crush on Allie :love:

has anyone applied to a pharmacy administration residency? I wonder how competitive it is now...

Sounds like the one in Tulsa. I almost applied there, but decided not to in the end.

Lol yes it is....what have you heard about it? I know the system and the dop well, and I know the pharmacists involved well, that just is a major turn off for me.....

and just curious...how did you find out about it since it isn't accredited yet?

Did you apply to any in the DFW area?

Last edited:
I have more than a day off in between traveling to interviews for the first time and I have no idea what to do with myself. Suggestions?

ETA: Page 6.

I'm watching Drugs, Inc on Natty Geo. They're talking about coke, and showed a closeup of someone's pupil constricting. Kind of like during Requiem For a Dream when they showed the pupils dilating?

People, this isn't rocket surgery...:rolleyes:

I'm watching Drugs, Inc on Natty Geo. They're talking about coke, and showed a closeup of someone's pupil constricting. Kind of like during Requiem For a Dream when they showed the pupils dilating?

Ever see someone on narcotics and a scope patch? Creepy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, this may seem like a silly question but I wanted to double check....your match "number" is the same number you log in with correct?

Lol yes it is....what have you heard about it? I know the system and the dop well, and I know the pharmacists involved well, that just is a major turn off for me.....

and just curious...how did you find out about it since it isn't accredited yet?

Did you apply to any in the DFW area?

I stopped by the booth at midyear. I had considered it because they were applying for accreditation, so figured there'd be less competition. I looked at TX Children's and Cook, but I applied at St Louis Children's, Vanderbilt (Monroe Carell), AR Children's, and 3 in CA. (Long Beach, Fresno, Kaiser LA)

Interviewed at Long Beach, Fresno, and will interview in LR on 2/18. All the others have "had excellent applicants this year, and unfortunately...."

Ok, this may seem like a silly question but I wanted to double check....your match "number" is the same number you log in with correct?

I'd assume so. I got an email from NatMatch the other day with instructions etc. I haven't read it yet though. The email had my match number in the body of the email.

I stopped by the booth at midyear. I had considered it because they were applying for accreditation, so figured there'd be less competition. I looked at TX Children's and Cook, but I applied at St Louis Children's, Vanderbilt (Monroe Carell), AR Children's, and 3 in CA. (Long Beach, Fresno, Kaiser LA)

Interviewed at Long Beach, Fresno, and will interview in LR on 2/18. All the others have "had excellent applicants this year, and unfortunately...."

Ah, I see. I looked at Vandy and Le Bonheur, but decided to stay within a reasonable distance from OK. I applied to TX Children's and Cook. I interviewed at Cook last week and was quite impressed. I turned the interview at Children's down.

so questions asked during my interview...

1) Describe a time when you had to work with someone difficult and how did you resolve it?

2) If you were a drug, what drug would you be and why?

3) Prioritize the following:
- determine warfarin dosing
- doctor on the phone has a question
- vasopressor drip running out
- next rocephin dose due

For #1 I just gave a basic example of someone I worked with in pharmacy. #2 I chose tamsulosin
#3 vasopressor > have tech do rocephin > then the other two will depend on how urgent the dr needs the question answered, but usually warfarin would go last because it's not due until evening

1) Describe a time when you had to work with someone difficult and how did you resolve it?

- next rocephin dose due

For #1 I just gave a basic example of someone I worked with in pharmacy. #2 I chose tamsulosin
#3 vasopressor > have tech do rocephin > then the other two will depend on how urgent the dr needs the question answered, but usually warfarin would go last because it's not due until evening

PK will help you answer number 3. Vasopressors has shot t1/2, you can't let it lapse. MD's temper has a short t1/2 too, besides it might be concerning dosing of a critical drug. Rocephin t1/2 ~8 hrs, usually dosed q24h, 1-2 hours late won't make much of a difference. Warfarin t1/2 40 hrs, you can wait.

- next rocephin dose due

#2 - Tamsulosin? I like it's pretty blue color, but other than that, why? The obvious correct answer is Klor-Con.

#3 - IMHO, you nailed. Vasopressor>Rocephin=Dr>Warfarin. Hypothetically you can call the doctor back if needed, no need to compromise anyone's therapy, but you can probably answer his question quickly and get back to work so no need to put him off too long. Warfarin can be dosed anytime so that goes last, vasopressor, rocephin and the doc are much more important.

- next rocephin dose due

1.) boring.

2.) Narcan. You get along with everybody - show up at the wrong party? No big deal, you leave after 30 minutes and everything is cool. Show up at the right party? Save the day!

3.) Pressor, question, warfarin, rocephin (probably just have to slap a label on it, but it's not pressing, unless it were a first dose for a meningitis)

1.) boring.

2.) Narcan. You get along with everybody - show up at the wrong party? No big deal, you leave after 30 minutes and everything is cool. Show up at the right party? Save the day!

3.) Pressor, question, warfarin, rocephin (probably just have to slap a label on it, but it's not pressing, unless it were a first dose for a meningitis)

Random, I was thinking the exact same answer for #2 with same reasoning...I like the way you think!

I chose tamsulosin because if you have ever experienced pain from a kidney stone, you would want to get that thing out as soon as possible

I got asked this on interviews and off the top of my head, I said benadryl... such an old drug, yet it's still so popular because it's so versatile. One man's side effect is definitely another's desired effect.

just out of curiosity... are most of you guys that is applying and actually getting interviews, do you have like 10 pages of CV? I definitely want to do a residency but i definitely slacked off first year. Not grade wise, that i'm fine but I didn't really get involved in any of the organizations like APHA, SNPHA, and such organizations until this year (p2) and I hope that isn't too late.

just out of curiosity... are most of you guys that is applying and actually getting interviews, do you have like 10 pages of CV? I definitely want to do a residency but i definitely slacked off first year. Not grade wise, that i'm fine but I didn't really get involved in any of the organizations like APHA, SNPHA, and such organizations until this year (p2) and I hope that isn't too late.

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot about my CV that makes me jump out as an applicant and I still got interviews (got into the residency thing a little later than most). Not at some more popular programs unfortunately, but still got 2 of my top 4, with 3 interviews overall out of 6. Now obviously my CV isn't totally lacking, but it helps writing a good letter of intent and having strong letters of rec. So although being more involved certainly would have helped with the 3 programs I didn't get interviews at, I still ended up with 3.

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot about my CV that makes me jump out as an applicant and I still got interviews (got into the residency thing a little later than most). Not at some more popular programs unfortunately, but still got 2 of my top 4, with 3 interviews overall out of 6. Now obviously my CV isn't totally lacking, but it helps writing a good letter of intent and having strong letters of rec. So although being more involved certainly would have helped with the 3 programs I didn't get interviews at, I still ended up with 3.

Yeah, I got 3/6, my CV is ~7pages I think. (I haven't looked at it since I sent it out and wasn't worried about page count) My biggest shortfall, I feel, is my lack of hospital experience. I've done community for 3 years at our campus pharmacy. My grades are 3.2 ish, but otherwise, I'd say the rest is pretty good, for a married guy with 3 kids anyway.

- next rocephin dose due

In Fresno I got, If the the residency were a salad, which part would you be and why?
I said at the beginning probably the nuts. Nuts add flavor and can make a salad, but may also be overlooked. By the end of residency I hope to move up to tomatoes.
It was cheesy, but I wasn't really expecting that question.

My CV is seven pages. As far as school organizations go, I'm a member of APHA and that's it. No offices. I have a lot of NON school involvement and would say I'm pretty well known in the local community so I think that helped me. My GPA is probably in the 3.3 to 3.4 range, but I went to two different schools and I've never tried to calculate a cumulative GPA so I'm not sure. I applied to five programs and have five interviews.

There is a lot of estrogen in the pharmacy field now, and will get even more heavy as this older male pharmacists retire. It does create a bit of a problem. I'm the only male resident, and the 3 girls all came from the same school.

We get along well and help to each out whenever someone has a problem. But sometimes I just wish I had my own office. Too much small talks, questions or discussion about various issues that I would file under "suck it up and deal with it" category. I want to buy ear plugs but I don't want to seem rude. :rolleyes:

Let me guess. They chit-chat about personal problems especially about their SO and they also complain about the little things in the hospital.

My CV is 3 pages long. Got 7 interviews out of 12. I get an impression that they don't like to read extremely long CVs. Some programs even had forms where they grade an applicant for providing a concise and to the point CV and letter of intent.

Lol. I was really confused about so many possible locations to rank until I read the second line like 3 times.

I have two programs that are at the same institution (one peds, the other general) and my interview for those are all in one.

Congrats on the interviews!
Thanks!

I sent a follow-up note to one of my crickets, because that is one of the places I really want to interview and I'll be traveling out their way soon for other interviews. Hopefully it was polite enough not to be considered pestering.

Banana - I just realized you're a P4. I swear, I thought you graduated a few years ago :laugh:

I feel like I'm running out of steam. One interview down and one tomorrow. It's an all day thing and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I don't know how I'm going to deal with pregnancy and related health issues over the course of that 8 hour day. :(

Two interviews next week. My fifth and final interview is still up in the air. They have changed the date/time twice already. I'm thinking about withdrawing my name from consderation there.

I'm so tired!!!!

But on the bright side, I only have nine weeks of rotation left. :D

I feel like I'm running out of steam. One interview down and one tomorrow. It's an all day thing and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I don't know how I'm going to deal with pregnancy and related health issues over the course of that 8 hour day. :(

Two interviews next week. My fifth and final interview is still up in the air. They have changed the date/time twice already. I'm thinking about withdrawing my name from consderation there.

I'm so tired!!!!

But on the bright side, I only have nine weeks of rotation left. :D

I'm exhausted too! I have one tomorrow, one Friday, and three next week! I can't imagine doing this while pregnant! I'm hoping my kids go to bed early tonight so I can get a good nights rest....I'm already exhausted, tomorrow will be no bueno if I can't get some sleep.

I'm exhausted too! I have one tomorrow, one Friday, and three next week! I can't imagine doing this while pregnant! I'm hoping my kids go to bed early tonight so I can get a good nights rest....I'm already exhausted, tomorrow will be no bueno if I can't get some sleep.

I hope everything went well for you at your interview! I just got back from mine and I'm exhausted!!

I just finished my third interview out of 6, and I am completely exhausted! This process is tiring... Plus, I have no idea how to rank my places because I liked every single one that I interviewed at. Does anyone have an advice about ranking residencies?

I know, ranking is going to be tough, I feel like all the interviews have gone very well and I enjoyed the programs and the preceptors. I think it is going to come down to my gut feeling and location. I definitely felt like one of the programs stood out as a great fit for me; I left with a good vibe and I think I would enjoy spending a year with the pharmacy team there.

Still a lot to consider though....:rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. I've had 7 interviews, and 5 of them are just about equal in my mind. With another two to go, it might come down to a spinning dart board for me.

I just finished my third interview out of 6, and I am completely exhausted! This process is tiring... Plus, I have no idea how to rank my places because I liked every single one that I interviewed at. Does anyone have an advice about ranking residencies?

Things I considered last year:
-pgy2 in my area of interest
-gut feeling
Things I would consider now (in addition) if I could do it again:
-cost of living (You get paid well enough to survive, but can you afford to live in a safe or desired location in cities/high cost of living areas?)
-pgy2 programs (or just hospitals) in general area (I'd rather not move again, but there are few PGY2 programs offered in my area. For people looking for jobs, are there hospitals nearby to work for if you can't/don't want to work at your PGY1 site?)

Things I considered last year:
-pgy2 in my area of interest
-gut feeling
-cost of living (You get paid well enough to survive, but can you afford to live in a safe or desired location in cities/high cost of living areas?)
-pgy2 programs (or just hospitals) in general area (I'd rather not move again, but there are few PGY2 programs offered in my area. For people looking for jobs, are there hospitals nearby to work for if you can't/don't want to work at your PGY1 site?)

From looking at peoples' cvs and reading various posts on here, I thought that it isn't common to do a PGY-2 and the same institution you finished your PGY-1. Or are you implying to apply to institutions for PGY-1s based off of the PGY-2s in the area? I'm quite a ways out on residencies, but I keep thinking about how hard it will be for me to pick a PGY-1 program and convey my preference to them for their program when all I'm really interested in is PGY-2 specialization.

This is what ruled out San Francisco programs for me.

From looking at peoples' cvs and reading various posts on here, I thought that it isn't common to do a PGY-2 and the same institution you finished your PGY-1. Or are you implying to apply to institutions for PGY-1s based off of the PGY-2s in the area? I'm quite a ways out on residencies, but I keep thinking about how hard it will be for me to pick a PGY-1 program and convey my preference to them for their program when all I'm really interested in is PGY-2 specialization.

I know several people who have early committed to PGY2 programs at their hospitals. It would make things a lot easier this year if I could have! I'm not saying someone should go to a PGY1 program ONLY because they offer a PGY2 program in their area of interest, but it can help make a decision between two hospitals.

I'm struggling with my rank list too...

You really have to go with your gut. I weighed out the pros and cons of the options but what appeared best on paper, was not what my gut was telling me to do. I think I could have been happy in many of the sites on my rank list, but I am glad I chose how I did.

Many people do PGY2 at the same institution as PGY1. There are pros and cons of both routes. The biggest pro is already knowing the institutions P&P, staff, etc. You can get started on your specialty training/projects right away and not worry about orientation stuff. Biggest con is that you get a more narrow view of practice because every place does things differently. I was cheif resident because I was the only one who stayed.

more and more places are early committing for PGY-2s. The consensus is that it isn't the best thing for your training, but it's easier for the program and the candidate. So yes, I am glad I did my PGY-1 and PGY-2 in completely different environments, but there's no guarantee there will be any PGY-2 spots in your specialty if they all early committed...

And the interviews are over! I had 8 and I am exhausted.

Here comes the hard part....ranking then waiting!

Last interview tomorrow. Somnolence prior to interview seems to be usual for me. I'm not necessarily worried about them, but my mind tends not to shut off. :shrug:.