Over 40 group!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrumleyVet

Oldie but a wanna be!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's see how many of us are "super" non-trad!

Only 40 (ok - ish!) lets see how we are doing!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

welcome!!! there are a decent number of non-trads over 40, but i still think there are very few on this forum. dont let that discourage u though!

but hopefully SOV will write! :)

edit: i just realized, you arent actually new to the forum lol u even joined before me!! so instead of welcome..nice to meet u!!

Members don't see this ad :)
LivestockDoc should be chiming in here any time. :D

i'm 39 and pushing 40 real hard.....

Does '36 going to be 37 in March' count?

No, not for the over 40 group. Get your own group. :)

Checking in at 41, here. Sorry it took a bit to respond; I had to have one of the orderlies bring my walker so I could get to the computer in the community room. Now I'm off to claim my front-row seat for Matlock. Have to get there early so I can snag the extra-large orange afghan and the tv remote.

Me too! I'm 36 going to be 37 in March :) Hmmm!

Well, we are what we are when we figure out what we want!

Lol - the deadline I'm worried about is my VMRCVM interview on the 29th! Eek!

Fidils

Me too! I'm 36 going to be 37 in March :)

As I'm no longer considering myself 'prevet' I don't know if this counts...

I am also 36 going on 37 (summer). Given the 'ageism' already seen here (HA!! :laugh:) perhaps a new thread is in order?

As I'm no longer considering myself 'prevet' I don't know if this counts...

I am also 36 going on 37 (summer). Given the 'ageism' already seen here (HA!! :laugh:) perhaps a new thread is in order?

We'll let you young 30-somethings in if you'll promise to push our wheelchairs.

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes being "special" isn't a bad thing!!! We need this to support each other.

Arghh..

What is it with you wannabes? If you are in your 30s you are not 40. The math is really simple. Even that newfangled new math should teach that.

And thanks Blackat for freely offering up my age. Maybe there was still someone left who didn't know I am double the age of almost 1/2 the people in our class (ok, more like 1/3 but who's counting).

How am I doing? How do you think I'm doing. I'm old, cranky, can't hear, can't see, can't eat the way I want, and apparently can't remember the names of all the stupid muscles, blood vessels, and nerves.

And why do you nosy people keep asking me the same questions.

Arggh arg arghhh ,and a bah humbug to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Arghh..

What is it with you wannabes? If you are in your 30s you are not 40. The math is really simple. Even that newfangled new math should teach that.

And thanks Blackat for freely offering up my age. Maybe there was still someone left who didn't know I am double the age of almost 1/2 the people in our class (ok, more like 1/3 but who's counting).

How am I doing? How do you think I'm doing. I'm old, cranky, can't hear, can't see, can't eat the way I want, and apparently can't remember the names of all the stupid muscles, blood vessels, and nerves.

StartingoverVet...I have prune juice for you...:p

41 here but I've decided I'm going to start counting birthdays backwards. You're only young once but you can be immature for a lifetime.

Get off my lawn! ;)

When I was a little kid and I walked home from school my mom always told me that if a bus came down the street (there were no sidewalks) to stop and stand in the yard of wherever I was and wait for the bus to pass. One time this happened and I stood in the yard of this really mean old man at the end of the street. He came out of his house screaming at me to get off his lawn and I was terrified.

My point? Thanks for bringing up my PTSD over the whole thing. If I end up in the loony bin now, I'm suing.

Arghh..

Checking in at 41, here. Sorry it took a bit to respond; I had to have one of the orderlies bring my walker so I could get to the computer in the community room. Now I'm off to claim my front-row seat for Matlock. Have to get there early so I can snag the extra-large orange afghan and the tv remote.

Haha....haven't you heard.....30 IS the new 40:cool:
And to help you feel better, I'll bring all the Magnum PI I have recorded on VHS!!!!!:highfive:

Haha....haven't you heard.....30 IS the new 40:cool:
And to help you feel better, I'll bring all the Magnum PI I have recorded on VHS!!!!!:highfive:

My mom loved that show. She's in her 70's. She has them all on DVD. Does your VCR still work?

I'm definitely a member of the 40+ crowd (I'm not the only one at ISU). A large majority of my classmates are the ages of my children. ;) I left a very good paying job to pursue vet school and I am loving every minute of it!!:D

I think I'm older than you SOV.

Last edited:
Arghh..

LOL ur so funny. and yea, its not like no one knows ur age! im pretty sure u have posted in all the other "age" threads.. and i agree, why are there so many age threads?!?! im pretty sure it has been repeated a billion times that age doesnt matter

My mom loved that show. She's in her 70's. She has them all on DVD. Does your VCR still work?

I'm definitely a member of the 40+ crowd (I'm not the only one at ISU). A large majority of my classmates are the ages of my children. ;) I left a very good paying job to pursue vet school and I am loving every minute of it!!:D

I think I'm older than you SOV.

Sadly no, my VCR crapped out about a year ago, so now im stuck with all these movies and stuff on vhs and no way to watch them. I really don't want to go buy a new one...i mean they are almost obsolete:oops:

Now I'm off to claim my front-row seat for Matlock.

Do you remember Mannix? That was my favorite show.

When I was a little kid...

You know your getting old when you start a conversation with "When I was a little kid..."

Um...my mom's favorite was Perry Mason. It wasn't even in color, folks.

What about Alfred Hitchcock or Twilight Zone?

Sadly no, my VCR crapped out... I really don't want to go buy a new one...i mean they are almost obsolete:oops:

Try your local Goodwill store. They usually have several and they are cheap.

I am 44 years old. This is my first year applying and I have two interviews coming up and I am still waiting to hear from Penn.

Arghh..

Well, the first post did say 'ish'; and I've found that once you're over 35 people just automatically start grouping you with the 40 somethings. Damn demographics... Apparently 36-39 is a grey zone? I have enough trouble without an age identity crisis!! Ah, the joys of generation X... :rolleyes:

Besides, I aspire to be able to shake my fist and say...

Get off my lawn! ;)

Between SOV and LetItSnow I was laughing in my lazyboy recliner...but I like Magnum PI better than the shows you guys mentioned...

43 and halfway through first year here. The other day I was walking back into gross lab with my white coat on, and one of my lab partners looks up and does a quick double-take. She tells me "Oh, you looked so professorial there it took me a second to realize who you were." I said "Oh, you mean I look so old?" :laugh: I don't usually feel 20 years older than my classmates, but I have to remember that to most of them, I probably look more like a parent than a peer. There is one guy in my class older than me (only by one year), and he is in the locker room couple times a day rubbing BenGay all over himself, so I'm at least glad I'm not *that* old.

We like to say that age doesn't really matter, but I think honestly, it does, at least in some respects. I suspect at least SOV would heartily agree that all the rote memorization we must do the first couple years is a lot harder with our old/pre-Alzheimer's brains. It can be harder socially; I don't really feel like I have much of a peer group to hang out with. While I get along fine with my classmates, outside of class most of them are all into going out drinking every opportunity, and that's just not my bag any more. I'm single, and while vet school has a great reputation as a place to hook up, as far as dating goes for me, forget about it. Even with the male/female ratio being greatly in my favor, the 20ish year age difference is pretty insurmountable.

Oh, and don't forget about post-vet school challenges. Right now, we're all focused on getting in/through vet school, which is its own circle of hell. But as an example, I'll be almost 47 when I graduate. I'll be broke, probably at least $150K in debt, and trying to start at square one in a very challenging career while most of my competition for good jobs is 20 years younger. That's pretty daunting right there, and I doubt I'll ever have a nice comfortable retirement to look forward to. Fortunately, I've chosen not to reproduce so I will have no kids to support or put through college, and if I end up living in a van down by the river during my golden years, well, that's on me. But it can be pretty disheartening sometimes if I think about it.

I've heard and I believe that things can get easier for us if we can make it through the first couple years. In clinical rotations and in the real world, experience and maturity can really help you succeed and make clients and other clinicians more comfortable. So I don't want to discourage all the other "super non-trads" out there, but I just want y'all to be prepared. It is really really hard, and you better want this more than anything else. Despite the difficulties, I have no regrets about doing this because being a vet is the most important thing to me. Just... be sure you're really up for this and know how hard your life is going to be.

We like to say that age doesn't really matter, but I think honestly, it does, at least in some respects.... It can be harder socially.... While I get along fine with my classmates, outside of class most of them are all into going out drinking every opportunity, and that's just not my bag any more. I'm single, and while vet school has a great reputation as a place to hook up, as far as dating goes for me, forget about it. Even with the male/female ratio being greatly in my favor, the 20ish year age difference is pretty insurmountable.
.....I'll be almost 47 when I graduate. I'll be broke, probably at least $150K in debt,..... and if I end up living in a van down by the river during my golden years, well, that's on me. But it can be pretty disheartening sometimes if I think about it.

Oh, yoo hoo. I'm single, going out drinking was never my bag, and I too will be in a van down by the river (tight quarters perhaps, but who wouldn't want waterfront property!)

So, come here often, sailor?

--LSD, founding member of the SDN old-timer's dating club :hungover:

Sadly no, my VCR crapped out about a year ago, so now im stuck with all these movies and stuff on vhs and no way to watch them. I really don't want to go buy a new one...i mean they are almost obsolete:oops:

That's why you buy the HD DVD/VCR Combo. I had way too many VHS movies to pass up on that.

And, now, I guess I should leave this thread...considering I'm only 20....

I'm single, and while vet school has a great reputation as a place to hook up, as far as dating goes for me, forget about it. Even with the male/female ratio being greatly in my favor, the 20ish year age difference is pretty insurmountable.

Even in my late 20's (28) I feel like it's pretty insurmountable. One of my friends is always pestering me about vet school dating prospects, and I'm like, "Unacceptable. I am not a cradle-robber!" :laugh:

43 and halfway through first year here. The other day I was walking back into gross lab with my white coat on, and one of my lab partners looks up and does a quick double-take. She tells me "Oh, you looked so professorial there it took me a second to realize who you were." I said "Oh, you mean I look so old?" :laugh: I don't usually feel 20 years older than my classmates, but I have to remember that to most of them, I probably look more like a parent than a peer. There is one guy in my class older than me (only by one year), and he is in the locker room couple times a day rubbing BenGay all over himself, so I'm at least glad I'm not *that* old.

We like to say that age doesn't really matter, but I think honestly, it does, at least in some respects. I suspect at least SOV would heartily agree that all the rote memorization we must do the first couple years is a lot harder with our old/pre-Alzheimer's brains. It can be harder socially; I don't really feel like I have much of a peer group to hang out with. While I get along fine with my classmates, outside of class most of them are all into going out drinking every opportunity, and that's just not my bag any more. I'm single, and while vet school has a great reputation as a place to hook up, as far as dating goes for me, forget about it. Even with the male/female ratio being greatly in my favor, the 20ish year age difference is pretty insurmountable.

Oh, and don't forget about post-vet school challenges. Right now, we're all focused on getting in/through vet school, which is its own circle of hell. But as an example, I'll be almost 47 when I graduate. I'll be broke, probably at least $150K in debt, and trying to start at square one in a very challenging career while most of my competition for good jobs is 20 years younger. That's pretty daunting right there, and I doubt I'll ever have a nice comfortable retirement to look forward to. Fortunately, I've chosen not to reproduce so I will have no kids to support or put through college, and if I end up living in a van down by the river during my golden years, well, that's on me. But it can be pretty disheartening sometimes if I think about it.

I've heard and I believe that things can get easier for us if we can make it through the first couple years. In clinical rotations and in the real world, experience and maturity can really help you succeed and make clients and other clinicians more comfortable. So I don't want to discourage all the other "super non-trads" out there, but I just want y'all to be prepared. It is really really hard, and you better want this more than anything else. Despite the difficulties, I have no regrets about doing this because being a vet is the most important thing to me. Just... be sure you're really up for this and know how hard your life is going to be.

First off, this is a fairly accurate post. I agree with most everything.

Thankfully I am not part of the "benGay" crowd just yet.

Certainly yes about the rote memorization stuff. Not just memorizing it, but I find that anything I memorize that way, leaves my memory awfully quickly...

Can't really comment on the dating aspect. Marriage puts a major crimp in my dating possibilities.

Finally, about retirement, I personally hope to end up in teaching at vet school at some point if at all possible. If job cuts ever end that is. Usually there are nicer retirement benefits there.

I'm 32.

I'm aware that this does not qualify me for the AARP discount in this thread, but it's nice to see that there are so many of you.

It's not always easy to keep perspective when you're working on undergrad and surrounded by 18-21 year olds, day in and day out.

If I had a nickel for every time I've been mistaken for a professor or a school employee I'd be able to skip the loan process.

So... glad you're here and vocal, geriatrics! It's good for morale.

Oh, yoo hoo. I'm single, going out drinking was never my bag, and I too will be in a van down by the river (tight quarters perhaps, but who wouldn't want waterfront property!)

So, come here often, sailor?

--LSD, founding member of the SDN old-timer's dating club :hungover:

LSD, you're of the female persuasion?! Guess I sexistly assumed that a "LivestockDoc" would be male, bad me. :laugh:

Funny how many times I have worked for a younger vet! They have asked me for advise, and even better is when the client asks the vet if they could talk to an "older" vet. Guess we won't have that problem on our first day!!!

As my Genetics professor once said to me, "I can see you wheeling yourself up to a microscope someday". And YES I took that as a compliment, as long as I wasn't wheeling myself into the first day of vet school!

AND I STILL THINK TOM SELLECK IS HOT!!!!! (and Sean Connery..especially when he speaks.....):love::love:

I totally agree with Lunajett as well. I wasn't quite prepared for it, honestly. Most of my classmates are under 20! Yikes! It feels like high school a bit more here too, because all of the UK students have not already been to college and done 4 years of partying and acting silly. I am also single and looking at the acne-ridden boys in our class makes me feel very, very old. I get along fine with my classmates and even go out occassionally, but am very much missing the 'mature' way of life - a few cocktails on a Saturday night, followed by going out to a nice restaurant where you don't have to worry about getting a student discount, sharing a great bottle of wine and discussing some real life issues.

That all being said, vet school is great and I'm loving being back in the learning environment. It's just much different this time around, as it should be.

I use BenGay because i have to after whipping up on the young'uns on the soccer field :laugh: Glad to know I still have it in me.

Maybe I am male. Broaden your horizons, bro! ;)

Hmmm... you might be on to something there. Guess that would be one way to expand my dating pool... although here in the conservative heartland, probably even switching teams wouldn't help me too much!

If these are criteria for being old, I'm so there. I'm 35 and don't really feel like it, unless I sit too long, then I feel (and look) like the Tin Woodsman in the pre-oil can moments.

When I went back to school for my pre-reqs all the kids thought I was a suck-up for sitting in the front row of my classes. Little did they know it was the only way I could hear the teacher and read the whiteboard.

When I went back to school for my pre-reqs all the kids thought I was a suck-up for sitting in the front row of my classes. Little did they know it was the only way I could hear the teacher and read the whiteboard.

So you're the one sitting by me!! :laugh:

Does 26 in 2 weeks, but lived the life of a 40 year old count.

I hope more of you 40s pre vets keep posting your expereinces.

rotflmao, me too! there are a couple of girls I'm chummy with and they always give me a hard time about sitting in the front:laugh: I tell them "Well, I'm half blind and almost deaf!"

Funny how many times I have worked for a younger vet! They have asked me for advise, and even better is when the client asks the vet if they could talk to an "older" vet. Guess we won't have that problem on our first day!!!

As my Genetics professor once said to me, "I can see you wheeling yourself up to a microscope someday". And YES I took that as a compliment, as long as I wasn't wheeling myself into the first day of vet school!

AND I STILL THINK TOM SELLECK IS HOT!!!!! (and Sean Connery..especially when he speaks.....):love::love:

Sean Connery will be sexy in his coffin.....I don't think the man is capable of NOT being sexy!:D

If you buy hair coloring as often as pencil lead refills......you belong in this group!!!!!

(Sorry - couldn't help myself. Thought of it as I'm buying both today:laugh:)