Cincinnati SMP 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCBFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell there are no current threads discussing the MS in physiology program at UC. So I started one. This is it.

On the site it said they began reviewing apps in mid-january. Has anyone heard back yet?

Anyone else really excited about this program? Its my first choice SMP, even though it looks like the cost has gone up a bit (supply and demand at work, no doubt).

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I can tell there are no current threads discussing the MS in physiology program at UC. So I started one. This is it.

On the site it said they began reviewing apps in mid-january. Has anyone heard back yet?

Anyone else really excited about this program? Its my first choice SMP, even though it looks like the cost has gone up a bit (supply and demand at work, no doubt).

I was gonna start a thread for this too. I'll be applying soon but with no MCAT yet since I won't be taking it until April. However I will turn in the application early. UC is pretty high in my list and 2nd to GT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'm a current UC masters student, so if you have questions about the program, don't hesitate to ask/shoot me a PM. Good luck on your apps!

Hi guys,

I'm a current UC masters student, so if you have questions about the program, don't hesitate to ask/shoot me a PM. Good luck on your apps!

Awesome :) How strong is the SMP when it comes to assisting students in med school applications?

Awesome :) How strong is the SMP when it comes to assisting students in med school applications?

The commonly cited numbers are 50% during the SMP (AMCAS submitted before the program starts), and 85% after the SMP (AMCAS submitted immediately after the program ends), though the success page on the website lists a 95+% rate for previous classes (2008-09 and earlier). Note that this percentage includes MD/DO/Dental schools, but still...not half bad.

http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-success.htm

Do you have any sense of the qualifications for an average accepted (edit: to the SMP I mean) student?

And are you a same-year MD applicant?

Do you have any sense of the qualifications for an average accepted (edit: to the SMP I mean) student?

And are you a same-year MD applicant?

I believe the numerical averages for this year's matriculants were around 3.3/33, if not slightly higher. It's gotten a bit more competitive over the last few years, given the relative success of the program and the small class size; the applicant pool for my class was somewhere in the 300-400 range for 32 spots.

Yes, I'm a same-year MD applicant. If you're planning to do that next year, my only advice is to finish your secondaries before classes start. Don't want to be splitting your attention when the **** hits the fan.

Last edited:
Wow, its getting to the point where to get into a good SMP you have to be only a hair away from being able to get into medical school directly.

Wow, its getting to the point where to get into a good SMP you have to be only a hair away from being able to get into medical school directly.

Yeah, SMPs aren't looking to take on lots of risk and long-term projects. It's kind of unfortunate for the smart people who just screwed up in undergrad, but that's the product of a huge applicant pool and a limited number of spots.

You'll find that a small number of the students accepted (both here and Gtown, for example) arguably did not need the program in the first place, but if you look at things from the SMP adcom perspective, you'll see that there's an incentive to take those people, if only because they have the "highest" chance of ultimately making it into med school and buffing their admit rates.

I'm not sure I agree with this situation (because every 3.6/33 person accepted is one less spot for a student who actually needs the program to get into med school), but I understand why it happens.

Of course, the majority of students in the program will actually need it to get into med school (like me), so overall I believe the SMP is serving its intended purpose. Yes, the numbers are high, but that's just a testament to both the demand for the program and its ability to get people into med school.

You also have to see it from an applicant's perspective. For an applicant who has already applied once or twice, they may say "this is my final attempt" and so go to an SMP that has high linkage to the medical school. That way they alleviate 90 % of the randomness of the process by basically guaranteeing themselves an acceptance.

QQm, Do you think UCinn medical school favors and takes many of the their own SMP students?

I mean for my case, I have a 3.4 GPA with a 36 MCAT, California UC, 2 years of research with publication (school journal) and presentation, adequate clinical experience ( 2 years, 400 hours), modest community outreach (6 months Habitat for Humanity, building houses for the underprivileged), 2 year pharmacy tech experience, TA for 3 lab classes and 1 year hs tutoring, some athletic awards. If I get accepted into Ucinn SMP, do you think my chances of getting into Ucinn Med School with same year app is good ? I really love to go to UCinn for medical school

I know my stats are somewhat above average for SMP and that makes it a really high risk endeavor but I am kind of desperate and looking for some certainty.

QQm, Do you think UCinn medical school favors and takes many of the their own SMP students?

I mean for my case, I have a 3.4 GPA with a 36 MCAT, California UC, 2 years of research with publication (school journal) and presentation, adequate clinical experience ( 2 years, 400 hours), modest community outreach (6 months Habitat for Humanity, building houses for the underprivileged), 2 year pharmacy tech experience, TA for 3 lab classes and 1 year hs tutoring, some athletic awards. If I get accepted into Ucinn SMP, do you think my chances of getting into Ucinn Med School with same year app is good ? I really love to go to UCinn for medical school

I know my stats are somewhat above average for SMP and that makes it a really high risk endeavor but I am kind of desperate and looking for some certainty.

I'd say you have an excellent chance of getting into the SMP. Your ECs look solid and the SMP adcoms will love that MCAT.

Still, you might want to at least consider just doing a postbac instead, if only because doing an SMP comes with a degree of risk (as you mentioned, failing out can torpedo your chances altogether) and a 30k price tag.

That said, I understand the appeal and pseudo-security of an SMP (assuming you do well). California is actually fairly well represented this year, with a bunch of Berkeley/UCLA/other CA people. Must be the lack of an instate "safety school".

Lastly, you might want to glance through previous classes on the website to see how many people made it into UC COM from the SMP; that'll give you a good idea of the proportion of students that reach that goal. I'd link the page but my phone's internet is glitchy right now.

Good luck, whether you decide to apply or not.

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't speculate on your odds of getting into the med school from the SMP, but a large part of that will depend on your performance in the program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
jc/omg: It sounds like you are a first time applicant for this upcoming cycle, is that correct? Your MCAT and ECs are great, and you have a very strong upward trend balancing a not-really-that-terrible GPA. Its really too bad you had to be a CA resident.

I have about the same MCAT as you but a worse GPA (3.2) w/ less ECs and I was a blown interview away from getting in last cycle. I mean, to each his own but if I were in your shoes I wouldnt be ready to roll the dice on an SMP just yet. Unless you are A: well endowed with money or B: about to have your MCAT expire, that is.

Sent you a PM, jcpenny. I just wanted to remain anonymous in public (or as anonymous as I can in a 32-person class).

I forgot to mention, though...that's a pretty sick upward GPA trend, which is something med schools love. Might not even need the program to get into med school...but then again, being in CA doesn't exactly make things easier, as DCBfan mentioned. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
I'm in! Got the email today and I'm going to go mail back my deposit right away. Barring a med school acceptance I'll be in cincinnati next fall.

I'm in! Got the email today and I'm going to go mail back my deposit right away. Barring a med school acceptance I'll be in cincinnati next fall.

Congrats! I'd recommend looking for housing pretty soon if you want to go after the nice places. Hyde Park (if you have a car) is pretty ideal.

cool thanks. Are there any resources besides craigslist that I should be aware of for the housing search? I was planning to fly in and get a place but I wanted to have an idea ahead of time.

Got in a couple days ago! If I don't get off some waitlists, I'll be joinin ya DCB.

If you guys don't mind sharing what were your stats like?

cool thanks. Are there any resources besides craigslist that I should be aware of for the housing search? I was planning to fly in and get a place but I wanted to have an idea ahead of time.

I think there are one or two websites that I found out about after I got here (Uptown Rentals: http://www.uptownrents.com/, Stetson Square: http://www.stetsonsquare.com/home.asp), but I just used Craigslist for my housing search, and that worked fine.

There are definitely some shady areas of the city you don't want to be living, though, which is why I recommended Hyde Park.

Anyone have the linkage percentage of Cinci SMP to Cinci med school? Last I heard it was around 75 %.

Anyone have the linkage percentage of Cinci SMP to Cinci med school? Last I heard it was around 75 %.

According to the 2010 alumni list, 9/22 are going to UC this year. But remember that those are of the people who did same-year as SMP apps.

http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-2010.htm

Now, what percentage get in to UC overall, I don't know about that, but I'd bet its a healthy majority of those who apply.

If you guys don't mind sharing what were your stats like?

3.2 (3.1 sci) and 37L. Mediocre ECs.

johnj7: gl on those waitlists man.

Hey all- got accepted to this program a few days ago!!! The turn around time from my complete e-mail to acceptance was 10 days. Because I know you are going to ask: OOS, both cum and sci GPA between 3.0 and 3.4, and an MCAT slightly above 30. I have no interviews this season, so I will be attending unless an absolute miracle happens. This sounds like a great masters and Im so excited to be in!

Does anyone know if I could get health insurance coverage for my spouse while at UC? I haven't found any info on the web site pertaining to dependents other than children.

Hey guys,

I got in! I'm really excited about this program and I'm almost certain I'm going to attend. Anyone else considering attending? Also I've never been to Cincinnati - does anyone have an insight on what the city is like?

Cincy is OK, depending on where you live. The UC campus is very nice, you won't be disappointed. Some of the surrounding areas are really ghetto though, when searching for housing shop wisely.

There is no defined linkage % with UC-COM. They more or less poach the best students from each class, so don't anticipate slacking off and sliding into a spot. I wouldn't be worried about it being competitive though, everyone is the program is focused on the same goal and it is a collegial atmosphere. I also have a hunch that if everyone was truly an outstanding applicant, UC-COM would accept everyone.

Also there is a new curriculum for UC-COM which will also be affecting the MS students as well. I believe it is positive and I am fairly sure that MS students will be able to participate in classes like Gross Anatomy which they were not able to before.

I am not sure about health coverage for a spouse, but I do know that if your spouse is employed in OH it grants you immediate in-state residency, which is a serious plus if you ending up attending UC-COM.

AND SOME SERIOUS ADVICE - if you have good numbers for admission without the program, I can't recommend attending. It costs $$$ and makes for a grueling year. Plus, if you mess up (and a certain % fail/drop-out every year, no matter what #'s they come in with), you can kiss med-school good-bye forever.

hi all, congrats to those of you have already gotten in! i was in the masters class 07-08, and am currently a 3rd year at UC.

im posting because my current roommate is getting married, and im looking for someone to fill her spot. i live in hyde park, in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom apt. (we currently use the third bedroom as an office). the location is amazing. rent is 525, with an option for a garage (+30). id prefer a female roommate. let me know if you would be interested/would like more information!

QQm already recommended uptown and stetson square. If any other current or former Cincy students want to offer advice on good housing around campus or in hyde park, let me know. I won't be able to visit the city before matriculation so I'm going in blind.

Also, do you think I could get by taking the bus from hyde park?

Hi all,
Eventhough the requirement is 27, one's chances are going to be pretty slip if they have less than a 32, correct?

I'm even debating applying, because from what I had read earlier, if one does get into the SMP and does the interview, there is still some chance of rejection due to the difficulty of the interview(some new technique)? (I don't have the exact place where I read it, just going off of my memory, anyone care to verify?)

I am out of $$$ at this point, but I love the school and it would be one of my top choices outside of Cali! Just want a realistic figure of what my chances are with an MCAT of 27 and GPA of 3.3.

Thanks in advance! :)

Waitlisted for the UC SMP.

3.41 cGPA 3.14 bcpm, upward trend, 4.0 postbacc 4.0 grad (but only a few classes)

31O MCAT 10PS 11VR 10BS

This is definitely a competitve program! I have already been accepted to my first choice SMP in Chicago so I'm not too upset. Actually I still have a chance to get into one or two MD schools this year. :xf:

Hope this helps others gauge their competitiveness (although who knows what any adcom really looks for). Good luck!

Waitlisted for the UC SMP.

3.41 cGPA 3.14 bcpm, upward trend, 4.0 postbacc 4.0 grad (but only a few classes)

31O MCAT 10PS 11VR 10BS

This is definitely a competitve program! I have already been accepted to my first choice SMP in Chicago so I'm not too upset. Actually I still have a chance to get into one or two MD schools this year. :xf:

Hope this helps others gauge their competitiveness (although who knows what any adcom really looks for). Good luck!

Waitlisted as well with similar stats...

3.38 cGPA, 3.28 BCPM, 4.0 postbacc (not too many classes)

30Q MCAT 10PS 9VR 11BS

3 years research experiences with 1 pub, hundreds of hospital volunteering hours, shadowed 4 different physicians.

Man, this is a tough one to get into...

is it too late to apply to this program? i would love to go to this program, everything ive read about it makes it sound perfect, but i only got the financial means recently to apply (like... saturday). if it helps, i have a 3.2/3.2 36r, average/decent ec's

wow chweasel, we have almost identical stats. I don't think it's too late to apply at all. June 1st is the official deadline, and that's a ways off.

Looks like my question has been answered by seeing the high scores posted. It's okay though, I gotta save some $$$. Good luck to all you waitlisters!

quick question: I'm filling out the application for the SMP right now, specifically the letters of recommendation part. I am using my school's committee letter, but it still wants me to submit 3 different recommenders before letting me continue with the application. Thoughts?

wow chweasel, we have almost identical stats. I don't think it's too late to apply at all. June 1st is the official deadline, and that's a ways off.

Ha, maybe we'll be classmates, gotta get in those letters of rec now

I am really interested in this program but I'm intimidated by the stats of others as I can see the program has gotten competitive, some even have stats that should be going to medical school and not SMP, but that's their decision. I know SMPs are meant for low GPAs, but can someone give me a general idea. I would really like to goto any program but UC would be number one as I am an Ohio resident, though I know it's competitive.

Current Stats:
3.02 cGPA
31Q MCAT
Lots of EC's, Volunteering, Both Clinical and Lab research though no publications as of yet (1 on the way by summer)

Could someone please give me some input and other possible SMPs that would consider my stats. Thanks!

farhan: This thread, and all of SDN for that matter, suffers from a bias when it comes to self-reported stats. Those who have good ones are more likely to go around posting them openly. I highly doubt that you *need* a 35+ MCAT to get into this program, so don't read too much into the handful of posts you see here.

For one thing, many of the students who report high scores are on waitlists and this is a backup, or they get into multiple SMPs. Based on my unscientific opinion, you definitely have a shot here and at several other SMPs. As for other programs, the sticky threads at the top of this forum are great, and this one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302 , though not completely up to date, is a great intro to the world of post-baccs. Good luck!

If you do the Cincinnati SMP, and then get into UC COM, do you repeat the m1 year stuff you just did?

Just asking because I know at least 1 med school lets you skip the stuff you've already done m1 year if you link back into their program from their SMP.

If you do the Cincinnati SMP, and then get into UC COM, do you repeat the m1 year stuff you just did?

Just asking because I know at least 1 med school lets you skip the stuff you've already done m1 year if you link back into their program from their SMP.

No such luck; you'll be required to retake all the classes again, regardless of where you end up after the SMP.

No such luck; you'll be required to retake all the classes again, regardless of where you end up after the SMP.

I guess that would make for a pretty easy M1 year at least. Thanks!

for the people who were accepted this year, could you tell me how long it took for you to receive your acceptance after your application was complete?

i saw the post by tennisstar89 for 10 days but i assume that's a turn-ard time that's shorter than normal?

I got the "Your application is complete" email on March 2.

I got the "You have been accepted" email on March 7.

VERY fast turnaround time...probably since it's still early in their app cycle!

Couldn't find this on the website, but do you get an automatic interview with UC SOM if you are in the SMP?

No, I don't think UC has any sort of automatic cutoff for a guaranteed interview.

thanks a lot for your speedy reply!

I got the "Your application is complete" email on March 2.

I got the "You have been accepted" email on March 7.

VERY fast turnaround time...probably since it's still early in their app cycle!