Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaover

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll

I'm a pre-pharm freshmen this fal and I was wondering when it would be the best time to start the application process. Takin the PCATS, essays, recommendations...etc...maybe next summer?? How hard was the verbal part of the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this thread for answers to your PCAT questions:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78594

The verbal section can be hard if you don't know "big" words...if you don't know that "precipitate" and "impetuous" are synonyms then you need to study. I posted in the aforementioned post that the GRE Verbal workbook is an excellent tool to boost your verbal power. Just study the top 200 words...they're words that tests like the GRE and PCAT like to test on.

However some words you just have to know...like I remember one of the questions was, "What is a philatelist." And I'm not telling you if you don't know...Haha go look it up!

Anyway you probably don't need to worry about any of this stuff until after your sophomore year...by then you should have all of your pre-reqs close to done.

I would recommend getting to know your professors so that they can write excellent letters of rec for you.

I've worked crossword puzzles since I was a kid, which gave me a pretty diverse vocabulary. I only saw one word on the verbal portion of the PCAT that I hadn't seen before. You could try buying a magazine of crosswords and working them. The answers are in the back. Just seeing the same words in various puzzles makes them familiar. Pretty soon, you won't have to look up the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading the Wall Street Journal is a great way of prepping for standardized tests. It'll provide a good sum of quality writing. Pay attention to the charts dollar figures. There's a lot of finance press dedicated to pharmaceutical/health issues which'll give a lot of ideas for your essay and ammo for responding to interview questions. I know it's expensive, but even if you find a old issues from Starbucks it'll be worth reading.

Is the PCAT all multiple choice? or it has essay questions?