EKG issue that has stumped me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratatat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2zhqm8p.png

That is a paroxysmal junctional tachycardia. I'm wondering whether the formations after the PJT QRS waves are inverted P waves or inverted T waves. I've been having trouble determining whether or not T waves appear in some of the arrythmias we've been studying.

Thank you all for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

They're inverted P-waves. When you have a junctional rhythm the impulse is able to travel retrograde through the conduction system, but it's slower than antegrade conduction. Depending on the location of the junctional foci (high, mid, or low), your p-waves may be masked by the QRS or appear so late that they are confused for T-waves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much. So does that mean that the p waves are superimposed on the t waves so the t waves just don't show up?

In this picture it looks as if the P wave is masked by the QRS, meaning that it's a rhythm paced in the middle of the Interventricular Septum. If the P wave was after the QRS it would be paced by an area low in the interventricular septum.